What is the benefit of rising Stone Hatches?

Hi, I think I know already, but I might have missed other points, so if you think I left one out, please add

• Stone Hatches are evolutionary necessary on the way to Smooth hatches (refined metals)
  • Stone Hatches also can eat Obsidian and igneous Rock

any other points, like decoration, consume/cycle?

Yeah, igneous rock from volcanoes etc. there is so much of it so it is technically a "Free" resource that you will never run out of (Unless you never get a volcano and don't melt the materials in the surface)

I get rid of normal hatches once i have stone hatches and they just eat my igneous rock by the truckload. but I never run out of it and i mostly build with it as well.

I use igneous for construction outside the base,  so I feed sedimentary to hatches.

Which means eventually all my regular hatches have morphed into stone hatches. 

I would actually prefer regular hatches, but my food source of choice makes that not an option. 

2 hours ago, FierceClaws said:

igneous rock is renewable?

2 hours ago, BlueLance said:

Yeah, igneous rock from volcanoes etc. there is so much of it so it is technically a "Free" resource that you will never run out of (Unless you never get a volcano and don't melt the materials in the surface)

If you read any of my posts, then you'd be aware that i wouldnt recommend something if it wasnt sustainable. ;)

4 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Aren't stone hatches useful for coal generation greater than that of a regular hatch?

Their kcal to coal ratio is the same, 0.5, as the regular hatch, so not greater as far as I can tell. They have the same amount daily calories needed too, according to https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/89984-oni-biology/ too. 

So the only difference appears to be that it can be bred to give smooth haches instead of sage hatches and then eats harder stones such as igneous rock and obsidian instead of sandstone.

Or you can just crush the stone to sand an feed it to your haches. So basic haches can eat a greater variety of food, because everything stone haches eats can be converted into sand.

Archived