Events and the lore

So events are cannon. Great. Now lets see what the lore looks like:

-Stuff b4 ds. (Maxwell magician, ancients' fall, something with radio factory where Winona worked)

-Ds (with all it's dlcs also being canon I think)

-Dst

-Forge

-Gorge

Now lets talk about stuff that events brought to the lore/ our knowlege of ds/t universe

Humanoid creatures: In ds/t universe humans are clearly not evolving from apes. Instead we have multiple creatures turning humanoid: pigs, bunnies, goats, whatever ancients were. And we can also meantion merms.

It seems that pigs are the most common humaid creature and also the most diverse one. There're multiple species of pigs, the most developed being Hamlet's pigs (clothes, society) and the least develped being Shipwrecked pigs (hair, aggresion). Pigs inhabit pretty much every world in ds/t universe: Constant, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, Forge, Gorge.

Goats are very inteligent humanoid. Unfortunatelly we didn't get to see their down "in it's glory days" (Pipton) so we can just guess from the ruins that they also lived in a society like Hamlet's pigs. Unlike Hamlet's pigs goats don't really wear too much clothes.

Merms. Humanoids that suffered from Gnaw's plauge, being turned into a fish-like creature and slowly losing their consciouness and intelligence. Thanks to shipwrecked we can see that they're still able to evolve (Fishemerms) so who knows- maybe they'll also become inteligent humainds.

Gnaw: Gnaw is some sort of god-like creature that has acces to magic. It existed before Maxwell arrived in the Constant. My theory is that it, "the moon" and whatever's making tentacles are the demi-gods of ds/t universe. Or at least somehow connected.

Ds/t worlds are different dimmentions connected with portals: Most of us already knew that

That's all the things I've noticed. Feel free to add something yourself

It may be a good idea to create a collection of terms to explain the DST lore.

Gate Realm - Gate Realm is the term for a dimension which is conncted via Gateways to other Gate Realms. A Key is needed to to activate a Gateway. The Gate Realms were connected in the past.

I kind of thought the pigs were created by Maxwell or was a product of Williams mind, he had bad experience with people and he hates people so the throne created or he created the residents as pigs.

The rabbit people were a result of the ancients, rock lobster's were the ancients and the goats came from somewhere else another world that got InTouch with them. 

On 21. 7. 2018 at 5:59 PM, Szczuku said:
Spoiler

-Stuff b4 ds. (Maxwell magician, ancients' fall, something with radio factory where Winona worked)

-Dst

-Forge

-Gorge

Now lets talk about stuff that events brought to the lore/ our knowlege of ds/t universe

Humanoid creatures: In ds/t universe humans are clearly not evolving from apes. Instead we have multiple creatures turning humanoid: pigs, bunnies, goats, whatever ancients were. And we can also meantion merms.

It seems that pigs are the most common humaid creature and also the most diverse one. There're multiple species of pigs, the most developed being Hamlet's pigs (clothes, society) and the least develped being Shipwrecked pigs (hair, aggresion). Pigs inhabit pretty much every world in ds/t universe: Constant, Shipwrecked, Hamlet, Forge, Gorge.

Goats are very inteligent humanoid. Unfortunatelly we didn't get to see their down "in it's glory days" (Pipton) so we can just guess from the ruins that they also lived in a society like Hamlet's pigs. Unlike Hamlet's pigs goats don't really wear too much clothes.

Merms. Humanoids that suffered from Gnaw's plauge, being turned into a fish-like creature and slowly losing their consciouness and intelligence. Thanks to shipwrecked we can see that they're still able to evolve (Fishemerms) so who knows- maybe they'll also become inteligent humainds.

Gnaw: Gnaw is some sort of god-like creature that has acces to magic. It existed before Maxwell arrived in the Constant. My theory is that it, "the moon" and whatever's making tentacles are the demi-gods of ds/t universe. Or at least somehow connected.

Ds/t worlds are different dimmentions connected with portals: Most of us already knew that

Shipwrecked feels kinda like a non-canon spin-off rather than S.C.T. 

Spoiler

Suuuuuuuuuuper canon thing

mostly because it's connected to Constant before ANR but doesn't appear after ANR

On 21/07/2018 at 4:59 PM, Szczuku said:

-Dst

-Forge

-Gorge

I think it's more likely that the merms found in the constant are devolved, as opposed to the fishermerms being evolved. Since we know that merms are created by the Gnaw and can retain their previous intelligence (Pipton, Sammy) and that lots of them fled the Quagmire after the Gnaw set up shop there, it's possible they ended up in various places. The ones that found a home in the Constant, living off of what they can find in the swamps and fighting tentacles, must have devolved heavily whereas the ones that made their way to Shipwrecked had a much better aquatic environment and much better food source and so were less affected.

7 hours ago, Lium said:

Merms are created by the Gnaw and can retain their previous intelligence (Pipton, Sammy)

Actually Sammy's quotes tell us that he's losing his memory "Who're you again?" , "Who is Mumsy? Ah yes the nice lady". So merms are losing their inteligence and memories instead of retaining them.

3 hours ago, Szczuku said:

Actually Sammy's quotes tell us that he's losing his memory "Who're you again?" , "Who is Mumsy? Ah yes the nice lady". So merms are losing their inteligence and memories instead of retaining them.

Yup, yup. I think that most, if not all Merms retain their original intelligence/memories when they initially get transformed.

When the player characters turned into Merms, they looked at themselves and were shocked so it seems to support this theory.

My guess is that Merms who seem to lack intelligence are those who have been transformed for a long time.

On 7/22/2018 at 5:59 AM, Field Field said:

nah
unknown.png
actually, this is a good place for me to finally share my Pig Lore canon fantheory.pig_lore_v2.png

The lore for DST just get more and more interesting.

36 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

The boats in Shipwrecked don’t seem particularly feral. They have nice houses.

Maybe you meant "boars" instead of "boats"? Since we're talking about Shipwrecked, I got really confused by the boats' houses at first! :D

50 minutes ago, Rellimarual said:

The boats in Shipwrecked don’t seem particularly feral. They have nice houses.

They're feral. 

Houses can be explained through gameplay or Maxwell's quote for pig's house "That's their only trick"

Wildbores are hairy (or at least seem like). You might say "Swap pigs are also hairy". Yea but they're covered with fur, unlike Wildbore who is... hairy.

"AGGRESION DETECTED"- Wx-78 eximining Wildbore. Wildbores will attack you after you get close to them for 5th-7th time.

They have sharp teeth.

Something weird happened though, we don't see Maxwell in these events...?

I think that either The trailers of events are not cannonical, or there is a huge gap in The Lore where something happened with Maxwell and the devs haven't told us about yet.

I prefer to believe the first one though, Maxwell is way too Good character to simply ditch him like that.

4 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

I think that either The trailers of events are not cannonical, or there is a huge gap in The Lore where something happened with Maxwell and the devs haven't told us about yet.

I prefer to believe the first one though, Maxwell is way too Good character to simply ditch him like that.

My headcanon: Everybody is gathered in the same world, but the six (Wilson, Willow, Wolf, Wicker and Wigfrid) were doing an expedition. The rest look after the base. Maxwell just prefered to stay behind. 

Let's wait for a possible outcome. It could be a secret movie to reveal the motives of Charlie or a third event or maybe Hamlet is going to explain things.

On 26. 7. 2018 at 7:27 PM, fimmatek said:

Maybe you meant "boars" instead of "boats"? Since we're talking about Shipwrecked, I got really confused by the boats' houses at first! :D

Plottwist PIGS ARE INTERĹIGENT AND MAKE BOATHOUSES:

On 26. 7. 2018 at 7:45 PM, Szczuku said:

They're feral. 

Houses can be explained through gameplay or Maxwell's quote for pig's house "That's their only trick"

Wildbores are hairy (or at least seem like). You might say "Swap pigs are also hairy". Yea but they're covered with fur, unlike Wildbore who is... hairy.

"AGGRESION DETECTED"- Wx-78 eximining Wildbore. Wildbores will attack you after you get close to them for 5th-7th time.

They have sharp teeth.

They do? I didnt know

We've obviously gotten a boatload hah of lore out of these events, and previous things like Metheus...but I'll focus on something new that we've gotten: actual inter-connectivity.

In the Gorge, Pipton says 'Many of our sick disappeared into the sea.'.

This. One. Line.

I'm inclined to think that the entire Don't Starve 'world' is connected, mostly split up into islands.
Hear me out.
The merms show up more or less everywhere, and it doesn't look like that gate was functioning until the Survivor trio got there.
Fishermerms are more recently turned, still sentient 'Gorge realm' inhabitants.

Mumsy mentioned that one other person came through the realm.
DS survivors are lured in by 'deals'.
Would make sense for Warly to have been the previous passer, drawn in by the promise of going somewhere where his culinary expertise would be appreciated...and to possibly have fled into the sea as well? Shipwrecked setup. Why there's a cook mixed in among two sea lovers and a tropical monkey.

While portals connect so many different places, the same also applies to the many 'survival' islands of the Constant.
These 'realms' are persistent, given that Maxwell remembers the failed survivor skeletons. They're all part of a...constant world. Parts of which are connected by sea it seems, with Shipwrecked getting more support as of late and the waterworks scene in Hamlet.
...I think the 'survival' worlds may also all be part of a single 'world'. We simply see one part of it in a play-through...or, it might be Video Game Mechanics, and we're only even seeing one part of an island per play-through.
DST's reveal shenanigans had Wilson looking for survivors and other islands with that map puzzle.

Counterargument:
Maxwell is confused about how birds got 'into' the Gorge. But then there's the tidbit about the merms disappearing into the sea within the same event.
I'm thinking that this can be chalked up to Maxwell just not being as knowledgeable about some things as he is about others. Or...that there was a barrier keeping these locations apart, and something has brought it down over time.
Bird migration between areas is also important in the story of the Ancients, their ancestors having been brought to the Constant by birds. Maybe birds are important in general. Doesn't matter yet though; if they are, we don't have any solid information on why yet anyway.

FARIES.png.eed8476b6f9cd0bba659b9e6dd849241.png

wait i forgot about this it's the heck.png.01921a8141d3cad784d023b2a3c2cb9f.pngING BIRBS
IT WAS THE BIRBS
ALL
ALONG

alright
farther down this rabbit hole
we've had the answer in front of us this entire time
redbirds come from the firelands
birds in general transported the Ancients to the Constant
birbs mysteriously are in the Gorge even though according to Maxwell they probably shouldn't be

I'VE GOT IT
GUISE
NEXT EVENT

THE
BIRB

...ok, but in all seriousness, the lore has actually involved birds pretty consistently. This is weird. And...may be another way of figuring out the next event's theme?
We do have lightning birds now.
Lightning in DS is associated with dark magic.
Further evidence of a Shadow/Sanity event at some point?

7 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

Maxwell isn't the only one missing though. There's also WX, Webber, Wes, Woodie and Winona.

Although I would like to see more of Maxwell in some animations. We haven't seen him after he left the throne. I agree that there is a lot of potential storytelling with him that's being missed.

Was interesting to see him try to control a Hound directly in the Tragic Torch puzzle comic. The idea that he actually had that extent of power on the throne.
Some recent Max skins imply that he might still be able to tap into magic in general outside of the shadow clones, so it'd be neat to see something of that nature in use in a lore bit.

15 hours ago, lifetheuniverse said:

1.In the Gorge, Pipton says 'Many of our sick disappeared into the sea.'.

This. One. Line.

2.IT WAS THE BIRBS

1. Oh yeah… that's interesting. So maybe ds/t worlds aren't actually different dimmentions but maybe just different part of the (very messed up) world.

That could also work. I mean teleportation isn't something new in ds/t so...

2. Oh yeah I forgot that birds were (at least supposed to be) importnat in the lore. Oh well, unless the next "Big Thing"  is about birds then… we know as much as before

...I was thinking a bit too much earlier about how we have pure black birds, the monstrous tallbirds, and that the shadows of the Terrorbeak/Nightmarebeak line have bird-like features. And...beak in their name.

and thought up a silly possibility

Spoiler

The survivors enter a final lair through the Ancient Gateway...
Nothing.
Silence.
Not but an ambient caw.
Solitary.
A lone black crow amidst the bleak emptiness...
But another of its kind. Yellow, this one.
Red. Blue. Then one black...endless black.
The peerless caw raises into the cries of a murder.

All sound ceases.
The birds, they watch. The demons, They watch.
Piercing white eyes.
Rainbow feathers, their trophies, stolen from worlds abound, barely covering a blackest void; shedding for the fine occasion.
Resuming their true form, reuniting into a massive, wavering abomination...
They watch. Always watching from above. Observing. Waiting.
...and now, you're here.
The last, treacherous meals.

S Q U A K

36e631e84ed5b995448e77ac02c88401.jpg

Anyway...
I also think that Hamlet will hold some answers. It has a direct relation to the events of the Forge. At least, we might get more info about past movement between realms, given the Pigs migration...not to mention, who knows how long their kind have been around?
And more ancient ruins, possibly with ancient glyphs at full release. Practically drooling over the possibilities of delicious lore there.

1 hour ago, Ali Bun said:

I never actually heard of the birds being a thing before, does anyone know what this moon puzzle is about?

I belive it was a shipwrecked announcement.

Birds are a thing because of Woodie's and Maxwell's quotes. Woodie doesn't trust birds and Maxwell doesn't know how they got to the Constant.

On 29.07.2018 at 3:18 PM, Szczuku said:

I belive it was a shipwrecked announcement.

Birds are a thing because of Woodie's and Maxwell's quotes. Woodie doesn't trust birds and Maxwell doesn't know how they got to the Constant.

Maybe birds are their sorts of spies or messengers? Because these birds don't have any existing nests, they simply fly up to The Sky that we don't have a view at...

Archived