How to get rid of tons of regolith?

9 minutes ago, Sevio said:

Well, since you can't delete it anymore in solid form by building over top of it, I think the fastest way to use it up would be to use it as fast as you can in water sieves. Each one you run can delete 1 kg/s of regolith and puts out 200 g/s of polluted dirt. How to get enough polluted water for that?

Well, showers, cleaning your carbon dioxide with carbon skimmers instead of feeding slicksters are the easiest ways I can think of but that's not likely to be enough if you have few dupes. Polluted water used to be able to "infect" clean water and turn it polluted if it surrounded a water tile on 3 sides but I don't think that is possible anymore in current builds.

I don't have the need to clean that much water, I just need to get rid of 5000 tons of regolith that is cooking my map, this is just from one are mind you, there is other area that already got destroyed and filled with HOT regolith. There need to be some decent way of getting rid of this stuff that is no costing tons of time and energy to do. Its just way to much clutter, my dupes are sweeping it for like 10 cycles now, I dump it all into water container just to get rid of some heat. It takes ages, its boring, and really annoying.

2 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

I don't have the need to clean that much water, I just need to get rid of 5000 tons of regolith that is cooking my map, this is just from one are mind you, there is other area that already got destroyed and filled with HOT regolith. There need to be some decent way of getting rid of this stuff that is no costing tons of time and energy to do. Its just way to much clutter, my dupes are sweeping it for like 10 cycles now, I dump it all into water container just to get rid of some heat. It takes ages, its boring, and really annoying.

If you really just want to be rid of it and you're beyond trying to use it up or destroying it with ingame means (heating it into magma and building tiles over is the last way I can think of) then by all means activate debug mode with backspace, hit the Clear Floor button and paint a big fat square over the entire top of the map. It will delete all debris in the area and should solve your problem for quite a while.

10 minutes ago, Sevio said:

If you really just want to be rid of it and you're beyond trying to use it up or destroying it with ingame means (heating it into magma and building tiles over is the last way I can think of) then by all means activate debug mode with backspace, hit the Clear Floor button and paint a big fat square over the entire top of the map. It will delete all debris in the area and should solve your problem for quite a while.

I don't use debug mode. Changing it into magma and then venting to space is a way, I doubt the volcano would be able to keep up.

I can make build to melt it, but the amount of this stuff is totally INSANE, with more coming all the time. I Would have to cover whole top of the map with rails and sweepers. It takes all takes AGES and its simply not fun at all.

Forget about magma, pomp will melt so its not an option.

Cleaning water with it, but I doubt I will run out of regolith in this century.

Space biome, pfff. How to cook your base with millions of tons of useless sand.

SO MUCH FUN.

12 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

I don't use debug mode. Changing it into magma and then venting to space is a way, I doubt the volcano would be able to keep up.

I can make build to melt it, but the amount of this stuff is totally INSANE, with more coming all the time. I Would have to cover whole top of the map with rails and sweepers. It takes all takes AGES and its simply not fun at all.

Melting regolith is exothermic due to the difference in heat capacity. The heat from volcano magma could go a long way with a heat exchanger and a good melting chamber. Even the glass forge's heat generation can melt more regolith than it takes sand to melt it.

Actually, since you want to vent the magma into space, nevermind all of this.... You can't reclaim the heat if you're going to vent it to space. It's going to take a lot of volcano heat to do this.

2 hours ago, Sevio said:

Melting regolith is exothermic due to the difference in heat capacity. The heat from volcano magma could go a long way with a heat exchanger and a good melting chamber. Even the glass forge's heat generation can melt more regolith than it takes sand to melt it.

Actually, since you want to vent the magma into space, nevermind all of this.... You can't reclaim the heat if you're going to vent it to space. It's going to take a lot of volcano heat to do this.

I wont bother, there is way to much of it. Its like Pandora box, better not open it.

Space biome is in dire need of changes, I have enough of this crap. It cooked whole tank of water, so now I have tons of steam.

And you can't even build from below on regolith cause it all fals down, since its just sand, and I have 2 more areas that are filled with this crap.

Also regolith goes trough bunker tiles for even more fun.

DELETED all this ulseless crap with debug mode and I still have 1000 tons of stored regolith left.

Now need to figure out a way of fixing other areas without mining all that regolith, but since it behaves like sand its not really possible to do anything about it. So will just have to ignore that parts of the map.

SPACE BIOME is total crap.

GG easy.

Sweeping hot sand simulator.  -9999/10 IGN.

I'm done with this crap.

Game uninstalled I have better things to do than watching some ants sweeping tons of hot sand from one place to the other.

A1FE13F17B013002E98A1E41A16CE215F3910CB652A65015A4B55ACD6D3B2D4CDF904577E9AC706A

On the first day of the Cosmic preview...I had Regolith stacked up 5 screens high :? That was crazy !

Yeah, its probably still too much - Im playing with god mode and its still a battle to handle it. Perhaps it would be good if it crumbles to smaller pieces over time, like to small refined metal size or so.

5 hours ago, babba said:

On the first day of the Cosmic preview...I had Regolith stacked up 5 screens high :? That was crazy !

Yeah, its probably still too much - Im playing with god mode and its still a battle to handle it. Perhaps it would be good if it crumbles to smaller pieces over time, like to small refined metal size or so.

It should vanish over time, at least the 24 tons pieces that are not in block form and just an item laying around.

Still to much regolith and still to much heat that will cook your world. Meteor shower should be much less frequent and more destructive right now they don't do anything special beside adding tons of sand to clean up. Whole biome is not usable whatsoever, even if you put bunker tiles with doors everywhere, it will get buried few cycles later, and you need to clean it again and again...

Never ending story. This whole thing must be traveling trough asteroid field or something to get hit so often, and why only sand and not rock and ice.

And then they will tell you to melt it, or make glass from it, or use it to filter water.

I don't need so much glass, I wont ever have that much polluted water, and finally gathering it all just to throw it into a volcano is boring as hell, just like trying to clean the space base surface and get some iron from time to time, on the other hand seems like space is made out of sand and iron.

Leveled surface in debug mode, put 2 layers of bunker tiles, ONE meteor shower added around 200 tiles of regolith around 3,5t each, not counting debris (some of them are 24t right away) that's just 700 - 800 TONS of regolith in ONE meteor shower.

This is the surface after 2 meteor waves:

B7359054242021AA2A78107367BFCE65251AF2CC

Almost no space that didn't get hit either by big or small meteor. Again TONS of regolith to clean up, with some poor bonus of free iron and some rocks, not really worth the amount of heat you need to deal with.

I'm sorry for this stupid question: do you really need to clean up all those regoliths?

Because so far I don't care about regolith on the surface (except the one in bunker doors). As for heat, I use some vacuum between metal tiles and abyssalite tiles.

Screenshot_50.thumb.png.4dfb49128560ebe18b19782a801fa380.png

Probably someone will shout at me, "you don't need abyssalite as vacuum already prevent heat to come down". But I don't care, a bit careful won't hurt.

8 minutes ago, abud said:

I'm sorry for this stupid question: do you really need to clean up all those regoliths?

Because so far I don't care about regolith on the surface (except the one in bunker doors). As for heat, I use some vacuum between metal tiles and abyssalite tiles.

Screenshot_50.thumb.png.4dfb49128560ebe18b19782a801fa380.png

Probably someone will shout at me, "you don't need abyssalite as vacuum already prevent heat to come down". But I don't care, a bit careful won't hurt.

You don't need to clean it all but if you want iron you need to mine it anyway, and before you build something like on the picture a lot of regolith will get to your world, destroying biomes and making amess overall.

Just now, _Q_ said:

You don't need to clean it all but if you want iron you need to mine it anyway, and before you build something like on the picture a lot of regolith will get to your world, destroying biomes and making amess overall.

Yes, but i am not sure if i dislike or like the destroying mechanism (not the digging away thing, that i dislike for sure).
So far it's the only real destructive danger and for that i like it.

It adds some variation to the game, even when it could be a pain.

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

Yes, but i am not sure if i dislike or like the destroying mechanism (not the digging away thing, that i dislike for sure).
So far it's the only real destructive danger and for that i like it.

It adds some variation to the game, even when it could be a pain.

The base is deep underground, its not destroying your base, it just destroying the world, and if you are unlucky, blocking AETN or some other thing like source of gas or water. Steel needs to be a bit easier to make, atm if you don't go for ranching, your egg shell supply will be very limited, I think I got around 59 bunker tiles, legit way, and it was beyond slow, and way to late to prevent world destruction, hot regolith melted 3 ice biomes and destroyed one slime biome. I can place tiles here and there to block those parts off, and forget about space whatsoever, but I want to build there and use the biome to extract some iron, maybe set up solar farm. All of this will require to clean tons of regolith that rains from space way to often and is not doing anything beside adding a lot of heat if you want to clean it, and tons of objects to bring the framerate down.

So all in all you can just safely ignore space biome if you got decent map where biomes are not almost exposed to the meteor showers.

The real problems starts when you actually want to use the content of space biome. Its really not fun and it don't add any threat, its just annoying with tons of heat and sand.

Just now, _Q_ said:

before you build something like on the picture a lot of regolith will get to your world, destroying biomes and making amess overall.

Actually my map from earlier CU preview where meteor started since the beginning, so there is about 1/3 top map destroyed. I keep playing on this map because of the challenge to handle that much heat. It is done now, all regolith under abyssalite already tamed.

Probably suggestion for your map, adjust your "defense line" and take (or throw them out) regolith bit by bit at a time. Bunker tile, then vacuum then insulator.  I wish you good luck and have some fun. I agree with @Oozinator, without any danger it can be boring sometimes.

I think there is still the issue, that eggshells take huge effort to build up. Ive 5 ranches (dreckos, dreckos, 1 Hatch, 2x 1/2 slickster ranches). At cycle 110, 800kg steel.

Been avoiding space till I get at least 12 tonnes... Huge ranching effort really If no starving pacus used.

3 hours ago, Carnis said:

Been avoiding space till I get at least 12 tonnes... Huge ranching effort really If no starving pacus used.

I think you could cover the whole top layer with a lot less xD  (I have enough steel without any tamed critters...)

A full layer is 256 tiles width, so 2,56t of lime/egg shells should be enough.

(~5t if you want a seccond layer to prevent anything from getting inside)

PS: Most of my lime is from wild pacus (hatches/dreckos are just not worth the effort for just egg shells)

Why don't you just leave it? Why is this even an issue? You do know insulated tiles exist right (to prevent "cooking" your world), and natural abyssalite provides more than enough buffer to not cook your world. Sounds like you wrecked your own world and now you're salty as hell about it and blaming others.

1 hour ago, Heinermann said:

Why don't you just leave it? Why is this even an issue? You do know insulated tiles exist right (to prevent "cooking" your world), and natural abyssalite provides more than enough buffer to not cook your world. Sounds like you wrecked your own world and now you're salty as hell about it and blaming others.

I haven't played endgame too much, but from what I've seen the natural abyssalite world roof will be destroyed over time by the constant bombarbment of meteorites, so you can't simply let it be. My main gripe though is when a geyser/ruin spawn removes the local abyssalite and opens the biome to space directly, you have to rush to that biome if you want to save it.

2 hours ago, Heinermann said:

There is no option to sweep only metal, so if you mark the space area for sweeping, they will take all as long as you have some room, there are ways around that issue.

Next one is you need to mine the regolith from bunker tiles to clear path so you can pick up metals, one way or the other you end up with millions tons of regolith, either stored in containers or just laying around and slowing down game.

7 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Next one is you need to mine the regolith from bunker tiles to clear path so you can pick up metals, one way or the other you end up with millions tons of regolith, either stored in containers or just laying around and slowing down game.

If you leave them that's only width of the map worth of debris. It stacks to 100t and voids itself after. So leaving it alone is totally an option.

Also with last EU update the new regolith doesn't spawn as debris anymore, so if you don't dig it you don't have debris problem either.

Just now, Grimgaw said:

If you leave them that's only width of the map worth of debris. It stacks to 100t and voids itself after. So leaving it alone is totally an option.

Also with last EU update the new regolith doesn't spawn as debris anymore, so if you don't dig it you don't have debris problem either.

That is change in good direction.

Still space biome is not worth the effort aside from free vacuum cleaner, its just destroying worlds with endless meteor spam.

9 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

It stacks to 100t and voids itself after.

In EU when regolith is auto-dropped on the floor with a sweeper it makes endless stacks of 25t. I did a quick test in a sandbox map and was able to get more than 100t of if to fall in the same tile.. 

54 minutes ago, Mariilyn said:
12 hours ago, Grimgaw said:

It stacks to 100t and voids itself after.

In EU when regolith is auto-dropped on the floor with a sweeper it makes endless stacks of 25t. I did a quick test in a sandbox map and was able to get more than 100t of if to fall in the same tile.. 

Did you save and reload after you placed something above 100t in the same tile ?

Easy way to leave it alone and use space:

Space

Bunker doors

2 tile gap

glass

vacuum,

glass 

whatver you want on the surface (solar panels, tanning booth, etc)

absalyte

all the regeolith that was on the surface

absalyte.

then leave it alone until you need the heat or the filtration medium. 

On 2018/7/22 at 5:44 AM, Lilalaunekuh said:

Didn't want to offend you, if it sounded a bit harsh. (Our topic is still how to use regoltih and not how to make xyz)

i believe he is not off topic since this is a way to get rid of regoith and him is not replying to "how to make glass using regolith" but "how to get rid off regolith"

Archived