The Gorge Tournament

JoeW

If anyone needs a great gatherer... Hi. XD I'm decent at farming but as I just joined DST less than 2 weeks ago, and only started on the event the last week, I don't have that many recipes for cooking and am at lvl 33. So just putting that out there, 'cause I can get you salt man. All the salt. My goal is to cut down that entire forest too. I've almost done it a few times, only but for a few trees. Mhmmm. 

I need to try cooking again but probs solo (again) since I don't want to destroy my team.

Edit: Also I just mean the game in general. I don't think I have a chance in hell at even bronze, but it's been a fun event! XD

1 hour ago, GLERMZ said:

Everything you've been given in the last 2 years was for the price of 15€ (2 copies of the game) 

And how exactly do you know what Missatan paid for DST? How exactly do you know that Missatan has experienced 2 years worth of content?

12 hours ago, Hotblack Desiato 42 said:

As I am someone on the leader boards (currently 7th place for the high scoring three person teams).  I can state that you are factually wrong.  If you think that it's all scripting and no skill, then I challenge you to place yourself on the leader boards using solely said scripting rather than any developed skills.

Myself and my teammates have extensively planned and practiced our scoring runs.  We have every aspect of our runs planned to quite minute details, e.g. early game money management (i.e. who gets what coins and exactly what they'll be spending it on) to mid-game role management (i.e. who cooks syrup, does fishing, and who cooks slow oven dishes, and when to do these things).  We have cut our teeth with extensive in game research, such as to discover how to cook dishes in a set-it-cooking-and-leave-it methodology.  That is we've experimented to find out just the right amount of fuel (from the various fuels available) to slow cook a dish so that it fully cooks, but doesn't burn.

Now let me tell you something about the script mods.  They're worthless.  Auto-tilling scripts order the plots in a one-two-three pattern, where it will completely till plot one, then completely till plot two, and then finally plot three.  Same goes auto-planting scripts.  When tilling and planting crops in the plots I want my wheat on the two end plots and my veg in the middle.  I also want to till only in the plot I need to till in and only enough to suit my purposes, because I've got other things I have to be doing.  No script will ever help me with this.  I will grant you this, I do use the snap tilling mod (which is essentially a geo-placement for tilling, mind you that you still have to aim and right click), not that I cannot till an 8x4 without it (because I can), but because it reduces the chance of me erring in tilling placement which can result in throwing me out of sync with my teammates (because yes, our time management is also methodically planned).

Go-here and go-there scripts are equally useless as they will run you straight into obstacles.  I don't have time for that nonsense either.

Clocks, counters, timers, and current craving reminders, are all things which can be managed and tracked on a separate monitor outside of the game, or even by pen & paper and by stopwatches.  Having them in the game via a mod is simply a convenience.

In conclusion, if you think the tournament should be without mods, I'm fine with that.  However, if you think that is really going to level the playing field so that you or others can compete with those on the leader boards without having done the work, i.e. planning, practicing, and honing your skills, then you're sorely mistaken.

On another note, I'm greatly disheartened by all the complaining that has been occurring in this thread.  So Klei is offering some exclusive portraits and icons as rewards... So what?  Since the onset of DST there have exclusive loyalty skins, puzzle skins, and event skins (include exclusive beta event portraits, etc.).  Many of us, including myself, have missed out on some of these things and for various reasons.  Just because a small handful of obsessive "collectors" have the time (that many us do not have) to grind and weave non-tradable and non-marketable stuffs, as well as the possible the funds to purchase the rare skins, in no way should be a factor to discourage Klei from doing what they want to do with the tournament they want to hold, nor what rewards they want to offer.  Klei and DST are not obligated to focus upon and fulfill your individual wants or desires; nor mine.

Cheers!

That was an extensively large argument to argue against removing mods from this mode.. I wonder what skeletons are in your closet. It's fairly easy to point out where having mods enabled is a bad thing, but other than you "want it" and "you should feel bad for thinking otherwise" you have failed to prove any point yet as to why they should be enabled.

2 minutes ago, MrMofolz said:

That was an extensively large argument to argue against removing mods from this mode.. I wonder what skeletons are in your closet. It's fairly easy to point out where having mods enabled is a bad thing, but other than you "want it" and "you should feel bad for thinking otherwise" you have failed to prove any point yet as to why they should be enabled.

They weren't arguing on whether or not mods should be removed, they just pointed out the fact that the top ranking players don't use mods.

Top ranking players use extensive training, research, and coordination to hone their timing to pixel perfection, rather than relying on a mod that bogs down their pace, effectively blowing their chances on getting a good score in the leaderboards.

Also, you still haven't provided a sufficient argument as to why mods shouldn't be enabled, aside from "botting makes it unfair", and "mods make bots the top ranking players", etc, most of your arguments have either been disproven, or lack sufficient evidence proving or contradicting your statement. If you are to prove your point, I suggest gathering some examples of positive experiences occurring in both scenarios. I will be doing the same thing just so you know.

7 minutes ago, MrMofolz said:

In conclusion, if you think the tournament should be without mods, I'm fine with that.  However, if you think that is really going to level the playing field so that you or others can compete with those on the leader boards without having done the work, i.e. planning, practicing, and honing your skills, then you're sorely mistaken.

Spoiler

TL;DR Planning, practicing, and honing your skills/coordination makes a match, NOT mods/bots.

5 minutes ago, watermelen671 said:

they just pointed out the fact that the top ranking players don't use mods.

Reveal hidden contents

TL;DR Planning, practicing, and honing your skills/coordination makes a match, NOT mods/bots.

actually, he just proved without a shadow of a doubt that he does use mods, since he mentioned that they get to see information early, which aside from having a mod, is quite impossible due to the RNG nature of each round. some rounds are skippable like round 5 with tomato because it satisfies both, however, rounds like meat fish or soup, cannot be predicted as easily.  when you have a choice between 2 dishes that are contradictive, then the whole "seeing what is ahead" becomes an issue, and the unfair advantage becomes very crystal clear.  If someone is halfway on their way to billy and see's "meat" or "fish" on their side bar because of a mod, that saves multiple seconds where the other person has to see it from mumsy herself.

When I see how many ppl throw tantrums over a simple icon and frame, I slowly starting to think you should take a break from DST, its just an icon and frame, its not like its an exclusive Character/Item Skin that everyone would see. Like seriously

• Developer
7 minutes ago, MrMofolz said:

actually, he just proved without a shadow of a doubt that he does use mods, since he mentioned that they get to see information early, which aside from having a mod, is quite impossible due to the RNG nature of each round. some rounds are skippable like round 5 with tomato because it satisfies both, however, rounds like meat fish or soup, cannot be predicted as easily.  when you have a choice between 2 dishes that are contradictive, then the whole "seeing what is ahead" becomes an issue, and the unfair advantage becomes very crystal clear.  If someone is halfway on their way to billy and see's "meat" or "fish" on their side bar because of a mod, that saves multiple seconds where the other person has to see it from mumsy herself.

you can't see info early, as i said in a different thread mods like gorge extender save a couple seconds per round at the most I have yet to see a run where that translated into a extra dish rather than just getting 20 extra points.
Edit: you still can't act if you don't know what the next dish is, so although on certain rounds you can head to billy for fish/pigeons you still can't do much on certain rounds while waiting to find the dish.

Just now, MrMofolz said:

actually, he just proved without a shadow of a doubt that he does use mods, since he mentioned that they get to see information early, which aside from having a mod, is quite impossible due to the RNG nature of each round.

Wait where did they mention that? I just reread the post in its entirety, and there's ZERO mention of seeing the information early. Now onto the RNG thing, it's not really RNG. It's flip between 2 cravings that are always the same, you'll either get one or the other; do enough rounds enough times and you'll have always two dishes ready for each flip craving.

Myself and my teammates have extensively planned and practiced our scoring runs.  We have every aspect of our runs planned to quite minute details, (...) We have cut our teeth with extensive in game research, such as to discover how to cook dishes in a set-it-cooking-and-leave-it methodology. 

Clocks, counters, timers, and current craving reminders, are all things which can be managed and tracked on a separate monitor outside of the game, or even by pen & paper and by stopwatches.  Having them in the game via a mod is simply a convenience.

Here they just pointed out that the HUD sort of thing isn't required, it's simply convenient regardless. Never did they say they use it however, so this one can go either way.

However, they did admit this:

I will grant you this, I do use the snap tilling mod (which is essentially a geo-placement for tilling, mind you that you still have to aim and right click), not that I cannot till an 8x4 without it (because I can), but because it reduces the chance of me erring in tilling placement which can result in throwing me out of sync with my teammates (because yes, our time management is also methodically planned).

Which is exactly what I've stated previously. 

26 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

When I see how many ppl throw tantrums over a simple icon and frame, I slowly starting to think you should take a break from DST, its just an icon and frame, its not like its an exclusive Character/Item Skin that everyone would see. Like seriously

Right NOW it's a icon and a frame. But it's a small step from doing just a icon and a frame, to doing a exclusive head or outfit for a character. Once you start doing exclusive cosmetics just for a handful of winners, who is to say that it won't eventually turn into a Character / Item Skin down the road?

If we don't make ourselves heard NOW about this, and Klei thinks it's all okay, then that is possible to happen. 

2 minutes ago, Jynn said:

Right NOW it's a icon and a frame. But it's a small step from doing just a icon and a frame, to doing a exclusive head or outfit for a character. Once you start doing exclusive cosmetics just for a handful of winners, who is to say that it won't eventually turn into a Character / Item Skin down the road?

If we don't make ourselves heard NOW about this, and Klei thinks it's all okay, then that is possible to happen. 

Profile icons and frames are gateway exclusive cosmetics, it only goes downhill from here. :wilson_ecstatic:

3 minutes ago, Jynn said:

JoeW said this :

On 07/07/2018 at 12:21 AM, JoeW said:

We will have a participation prize and any prize that is awarded will be likely just be a special version of something otherwise attainable 

I think if they choose this option it is to avoid exclusive character head or outfit, no ? I feel they are conscious of what problems it would cause and want to avoid this.

2 hours ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

And how exactly do you know what Missatan paid for DST? How exactly do you know that Missatan has experienced 2 years worth of content?

I paid 21,49€ in 2015 for Mega Pack, I experienced as much as my social anxiety allowed me to and I'm thankful for free content updates.
I'm also okay with skin bundle prices (still better than Community Market, also great way to support devs), I just don't like to label skin part of content as "given" cuz it's "earned" in one way or another. Either by buying it from Klei, CM, praying to RNG Gods, grinding spools, playing or sticking around. You don't login to DST after 3 years and get every skin made until now thrown at you. :p

*opens plated-shirt-proof umbrella*

11 hours ago, Ressayez said:

Calling their claims vacuous is rather insulting, naive, ignorant, maybe, but these people aren't stupid just because they don't know to what extent things like scripts affect the top teams.

Was it insulting? Yes, I agree.  Keep in mind, so was his accusation of the top scoring teams only being top scoring teams as a result of script-bot-mods rather than any skill, was insulting.  Is my declaration of his claim being vacuous and fallacious, naive or ignorant?  Not in the slightest.  His assertion was based on no evidence, but rather mods with script-bots exist and top scoring teams exist, thereby he fallaciously linked the two together (i.e. non-sequitur), and then drew a conclusion without any pertinent knowledge as to how any of the top scoring teams achieved their scores.  While this alone maybe both naive and ignorant, and speculations I agree does not make one "stupid".  However, to then have the audacity to boldly and baselessly assert such a naive and/or ignorant speculation as matter-of-fact in the forums is a quite vacuous and stupid action.

15 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

Same. Finna put a post on the forums, "Looking for a skilled group willing to carry some incompetent nubs into the limelight".

With all of the solo strat topics I figured that if people already are able to do it solo, they might as well do it with some scrub who can barely carry their own weight. :wilson_ecstatic:

I mean I'm good enough, but not at the point where I can hope to get top 100... 

2 hours ago, MrMofolz said:

As @watermelen671

kindly pointed out, I was not arguing as to whether or not mods are to be permitted in the tournament.  I was arguing against your assertion that 100% of the top 100 scoring players relied solely upon script-bots rather than skill. 

In regard to the should mods be allowed or not issue, I will just say that the mods are available to anyone and everyone who wish to use them, so I really see no difference as to whether Klei permits them or not.  How can having mods enabled be a bad thing if everyone can have the same mods enabled?  Your argument falls flat on its face.  I also stated previously and again here that it is not a matter of "wanting it" in my case.  I don't care if mods will be permitted or not.  And I don't think anyone "should feel bad" for either wanting them or not wanting them.

Lastly, MrMofolz, it is you who is arguing for a particular position on that matter, and it is you that has failed to provide any solid reasoning for your position.

Appears to me that you're trying to project your own faults upon others. :p

25 minutes ago, Hotblack Desiato 42 said:

In regard to the should mods be allowed or not issue, I will just say that the mods are available to anyone and everyone who wish to use them, so I really see no difference as to whether Klei permits them or not.  How can having mods enabled be a bad thing if everyone can have the same mods enabled?

It's true only about public mods in the workshop. Not all the mods are public, or even in the workshop. We can't be sure that someone will have access to a mod giving better or more precise informations if the mod isn't public.

I don't think it's a big issue (as said in the other topic about it), i understand however that it could be a legitimate concern.

Just now, watermelen671 said:

What? When did they announce a time?

in the very first post  "What does that mean? Beginning tomorrow at 11am PST, all DST players who play the Gorge can start competing for the best scores. The top teams will receive the following:"

1 minute ago, Jynn said:

in the very first post  "What does that mean? Beginning tomorrow at 11am PST, all DST players who play the Gorge can start competing for the best scores. The top teams will receive the following:"

idk.png.89b14dae6a74ccefbbff1c283f05287e.png

I've been too busy trying to figure out why my Puft won't stop bouncing.

Spoiler

5b44f75d43b12_mobounce.gif.a66a6b7888c177f3c685c17f9d56b15a.gif

And why it's bouncing in the first place.

Just now, Nurtemms said:

How are we supposed to know if it started or not? They said they'd give us more information today at 11 AM PST but its past that time already.

I assume DST will get a update on Steam to introduce the tournament and its features, but that's just my thoughts. 

Archived