Eat and shower scheduled times

PhailRaptor gave me an idea - what if I limit the access to food only to once or twice per day ?

If I can use automation to lock the door(s) to the fridge(s) except for a period close to the sleeping time, dupes will stop running for snacks in the middle of tasks.

Has anybody experimented with this? I don't think that there will be a considerable stress penalty if dupes eat at regular intervals instead of whenever they want.

Original quote:

Dupes can eat at night, and they usually don't need that much stamina to get to 100%. You could open the dining room only at night time to optimize their time for eating/sleeping. You'd have to have 2 doors to the mess hall, with only one opening with automation and the other allowing dupes to only exit (1 way pneumatic door).

Good idea.  Because they can go a couple days without eating, so if they miss it once, its not a big deal.  It would require autosweepers and such to put away food.  Maybe you can also make it so that the cooks can't eat the food they make and bar them from entering the room where their food is made so they can't take inefficient lunch breaks either.  You would need to be careful though.  Some dupes with distant jobs get to bed late, so they sleep in.  If they do that a few cycles in a row, they could starve.

It would also stop those pesky binge eaters from doing anything if they go off.

7 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

I haven't tried with food, but I do limit the shower access to a short time before bedtime.  

I leave it open about half way to morning so any late runners don't get locked in. 

This problem can be solved with an escape door.  A second door that is set to exit only. 

5 minutes ago, ICKA said:

Dupes can eat at night, and they usually don't need that much stamina to get to 100%. You could open the dining room only at night time to optimize their time for eating/sleeping.

Yes, evening feedings should work pretty well.

1 minute ago, 0xFADE said:

Just don’t build showers.

But then the colony would be full of stinky dupes.  Nobody wants that.

Also, the strategy of simply not building showers probably won't work forever.  Right now, showers do nothing useful.  I highly doubt it will stay that way.

1 minute ago, 0xFADE said:

Just don’t build showers.

Since the cosmic update I really fall in love with showers ;)

(Sand/regolith is abundant, so everything increasing my water sieve usage is welcome)

But I would recommend restricting the shower times if your dupes can get wet. (To limit the lost time)

PS: If you got plastic beds, you can open your mess hall just at night ;)

(You dupes will still have enough time to rest if your mess hall is close to the barracks. But with normal beds you should open your mess hall at ~80% of the day)

31 minutes ago, Soulwind said:

I leave it open about half way to morning so any late runners don't get locked in. 

If you have enough space you could always build a one-way exit.

Anyways it isn't that simple as you still need to account for Dupes just going into the chef's kitchen to get food or if you're not cooking they'll take from harvested crops. 

1 minute ago, Lazy-Anemic said:

Anyways it isn't that simple as you still need to account for Dupes just going into the chef's kitchen to get food or if you're not cooking they'll a take from harvested crops. 

The kitchen problem can be solved by only allowing people who are not allowed to eat the food prepared in that kitchen in.  You would have to have more than one kitchen.  It's a bit of one time micro, but I think it's feasible.  Also, it's a hazard if a food source dries up, like gristle berries. 

I always ban my dupes from eating uncooked food because cooked food is more efficient resource-wise.

You could just have sweepers above the cooking station, putting food out of range of the cooks. You add another sweeper that has acces to a loader to ship the food out of the kitchen toward mess hall. Make it active a bit before opening the doors of the mess hall where you put one ore two fridges (filled by loader in the kitchen). You could add another sweeper in the mess hall to put food not eated out of range again.

1 hour ago, Lazy-Anemic said:

Anyways it isn't that simple as you still need to account for Dupes just going into the chef's kitchen to get food or if you're not cooking they'll take from harvested crops. 

To avoid dupes eating lice/berries directly from the the tree/bush, you should probably disable them as consumable options. 

Good thing that dupes don't mutiny. 

I've built time controlled kitchens/dining rooms in the past and they work ok. They just take up a lot of space,especially if you build Chlorine or CO2 storage rooms.

Honestly, I find it's just easier to time lock my Dupes outside of the base to force them to work than to control the food. 

I'm without internet for a few days so I can't post any screen shots at this time... 

3 hours ago, this.cris said:

To avoid dupes eating lice/berries directly from the the tree/bush, you should probably disable them as consumable options. 

Good thing that dupes don't mutiny. 

I've already been fooling around with timed mess halls for a while. I've made a centralized locked down kitchen that has food delivered to fridges by sweepers and a CO2  pit for leftovers.

If anybody can make a working Kitchen / refrigerator automation that allows storing farmed/ranched food but disallows eating, I'm interested. I imagine disallowing uncooked shrooms/bristle/meat, then cooking, with an autosweeper stealing The food.

But does some1 have a readymade model?

10 minutes ago, Carnis said:

If anybody can make a working Kitchen / refrigerator automation that allows storing farmed/ranched food but disallows eating, I'm interested. I imagine disallowing uncooked shrooms/bristle/meat, then cooking, with an autosweeper stealing The food.

But does some1 have a readymade model?

Once the system is in place dupes should not be hungry enough to eat the food as it is cooked, the sweeper arm should also pick it up before any other dupe other than the chef gets a chance. Tbh keeping the chef well fed isnt a problem though because at least he isnt going away from his work station XD

Just now, BlueLance said:

Tbh keeping the chef well fed isnt a problem though because at least he isnt going away from his work station XD

You could even solve that by disabling his kitchen while his dinning room is open.

2 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

You could even solve that by disabling his kitchen while his dinning room is open.

That would only work if he was hungry at the point of the dining room being open, otherwise he will be hungry whilst cooking and will just eat it on the floor

16 hours ago, Soulwind said:

good practice is to set up an exit only door in this case

Archived