How to remove metal from volcanos, without cooling the room?

How to remove metal from volcanos, without cooling the room?

232.PNG.1a280d5c7f5a1f744fc536729d78a157.PNG

I used autosweeper, but it's cooling the volcano down, below 350°, output is not great, but  for me it's a good testthing.
How do you remove precious stuff, without dupes?

image.thumb.png.9787c0cfb1e4a6546ec0795e97371acc.png

To be honest, I have never used the metal from my volcanoes.... I just let the thermal energy pile up and use it for steam XD

If it were me I would make it possible to flood the room with a cool liquid when it is dormant and use a sweeper arm to pick up the goodies, not sure how you would automate the arms to pick it up after ts cooler

I  think I saw a build where someone had a pool of water under the volcano where the metal flowed in and cooled. Inside the pool there was a sweeper. Sweepers don't get flooding when there is only a bit of water.

The volcano room was vacuum.

I think your biggest problem is that you use it for heat and material. Double problem...

26 minutes ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

I  think I saw a build where someone had a pool of water under the volcano where the metal flowed in and cooled. Inside the pool there was a sweeper. Sweepers don't get flooding when there is only a bit of water.

I think your biggest problem is that you use it for heat and material. Double problem...

I know the build you are talking about and it doesn't work anymore.

Magma would super heat the water surface before it cooled creating steam in the vacuum

I dont understand your system. How do you remove natural gas that has boiled.

It would not Be exceptionally difficult to build a oil liquidlock + thermally isolating 3 mechdoor dupe Access and using suited dupes to pick stuff up. Can walk in magma with suits.

3 hours ago, Yunru said:

I have the volcano in a vacuum. The molten metal flows onto a series of doors which maintain the vacuum while dropping the metal into a dedicated cooling room.

But in a vacuum, how to use it for cooking gas, creating steam?

2 hours ago, BlueLance said:

To be honest, I have never used the metal from my volcanoes.... I just let the thermal energy pile up and use it for steam XD

If it were me I would make it possible to flood the room with a cool liquid when it is dormant and use a sweeper arm to pick up the goodies, not sure how you would automate the arms to pick it up after ts cooler

I experimented with that, heat loss is to big..

1 hour ago, Yoma_Nosme said:

Yes double problem, but i thought there must be a way ^^

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

Magma would super heat the water surface before it cooled creating steam in the vacuum

That's the "problem" ^^

1 hour ago, Carnis said:

I dont understand your system. How do you remove natural gas that has boiled.

It would not Be exceptionally difficult to build a oil liquidlock + thermally isolating 3 mechdoor dupe Access and using suited dupes to pick stuff up. Can walk in magma with suits.

It's for testing, i have enough from everything in "my base" and yes i could use dupes for it, but i would like to automate it and want to remove it, before "fresh eruption" (should not "reheat" old material..
Space would be an argument too.

46 minutes ago, landromat said:

Steam turbine + steel autosweeper

Sorry Sir ? ^^

1 minute ago, Oozinator said:

But in a vacuum, how to use it for cooking gas, creating steam?

It depends. You can either have metal tiles where the liquid metals falls, or you use the cooling chamber as a boiler (although unless you're lucky it won't run infinitely.

9 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I experimented with that, heat loss is to big..

I am confused? You mean with dumping water in? or using it as just a large thermal energy store? Typically my volcanoes are in a much smaller area, I think if you could have it that the molten metal solidifies on a metal tile then you would still have the heat transferring through resulting in all the thermal energy at least going somewhere

6 minutes ago, BlueLance said:

I am confused? You mean with dumping water in? or using it as just a large thermal energy store? Typically my volcanoes and in a much smaller area, I think if you could have it that the molten metal solidifies on a metal tile then you would still have the heat transferring through resulting in all the thermal energy at least going somewhere

I can remove the neutronium in debug to to that, but without it?
The "problem" is in the space, where the neutronium tiles are. When dupe access is given, much more space is needed.
I experimented with autosweeper placement and thought someone come up with a design, i could not think of.

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

That only occurs if you have the liquid metal hitting a small body of liquid - keep the tiles full and recycle the water when it gets too hot.

This was a thread about metal, not magma remember.

8 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

I can remove the neutronium in debug to to that, but without it?
The "problem" is in the space, where the neutronium tiles are. When dupe access is given, much more space is needed.
I experimented with autosweeper placement and thought someone come up with a design, i could not think of.

You don't need to remove the neutronium, I have not thought about breaking into it to get my metals XD

Crude oil as conductor + Regolith (my current volcano is close to space) = Metal at around 300C for a long time. After that I use the autosweeper/loader to send this to some receptables submerged in hot water. After about 0.4 cycles it's at about 80C, which I consider usable.

27 minutes ago, Alpe12 said:

Crude oil as conductor + Regolith (my current volcano is close to space) = Metal at around 300C for a long time. After that I use the autosweeper/loader to send this to some receptables submerged in hot water. After about 0.4 cycles it's at about 80C, which I consider usable.

Pictures pleeeeaaase ^^

4 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Pictures pleeeeaaase ^^

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.243f2d69e5d3509bc82938cecd19693a.png

It's a bit of a mess now. All this circuits and stuff aren't actually needed. They are there because I thought I would need to keep injecting crude oil and removing natural gas, but over 100t of Regolith (in total) absorb all the heat. I only had to inject crude oil once. I don't even bother adding more Regolith either.

Spoiler

image.png.52c1d3b5fffb3d6f49611d2472086fe8.png

The dripping water comes from a Cold Steam geyser above. It's cooled using cold hydrogen, but only enough to turn it into water. The water in the tank is 94C.
Both sweepers only work for a limited time to give the copper time to cool down.

Maybe not the smartest thing to make, but it is an attempt to give some use to the tremendous amount of Regolith in space. xD

You can both harvest heat and metal. I’ll do a full post on my setup later, but the basic design is fairly simple:

molten copper falls on a pair of mechanized doors. These are thermally connected to an oil boiler. When some logic decides that the system hasn’t boiled oil in a while, it generally means the volcano is dormant, so it opens the doors. Some building blueprints there deploy dupes to mine any solidified tiles (although it mostly will solidify as debris). The metal then falls into a 10 tiles pool of crude oil. Sweeper arm is partially submerged for cooling, and doesn’t activate until sometime after the metal has fallen & the oil temp is below 120 (All my steel goes to the surface; none to spare here). Oil bath is cooled passively by circulating polluted water through it, on its way to get boiled. 

This method should work for any metal volcano, it just requires that your heat extraction exceeds the average output of the volcano enough to have a time during dormancy to extract the metal.

Just now, caffeinated21 said:

You can both harvest heat and metal. I’ll do a full post on my setup later, but the basic design is fairly simple:

molten copper falls on a pair of mechanized doors. These are thermally connected to an oil boiler. When some logic decides that the system hasn’t boiled oil in a while, it generally means the volcano is dormant, so it opens the doors. Some building blueprints there deploy dupes to mine any solidified tiles (although it mostly will solidify as debris). The metal then falls into a 10 tiles pool of crude oil. Sweeper arm is partially submerged for cooling, and doesn’t activate until sometime after the metal has fallen & the oil temp is below 120 (All my steel goes to the surface; none to spare here). Oil bath is cooled passively by circulating polluted water through it, on its way to get boiled. 

This method should work for any metal volcano, it just requires that your heat extraction exceeds the average output of the volcano enough to have a time during dormancy to extract the metal.

I know. I usually do something like that with Volcanos (magma ones). I also use them for PH2O -> H2O sometimes.
I only made this because I was trying to find some use to Regalith and because I have plenty of H2O, PH2O and Natural Gas on my current map.
My NG storage: ;)

Spoiler

img.thumb.jpg.4ad659ddb9e4776551ba8c6f74d58b14.jpg

Build something like this.

20180701190551_1.thumb.jpg.da66e74c06e4af66960f365e4c4023df.jpg

This is a first time quick fix solution I made in game, so it could be refined much better and smaller. I pumped in Polluted Water to not waste Water. So far it keeps the heat from getting the Airlocks hot and heat from escaping into the Ice Biome. As you can see the PW level is only tile the height of the Copper Volcano, so it can still erupt. I know the transport system isn't finished, but the Transport Arm should stay cool enough to not melt from the PW. One thing that needs to be added is a radiator system that goes through the PW to cool it where the Dupes walk.

7 hours ago, caffeinated21 said:

Great tipps ty, but i don't want to remove heat. I want to remove the metal, soon as it solidifys. Temperature aka cooling is no real problem.
:)

Oozinator, I just wanted to let you know that the design is a success. The PW keeps the room under the Sweeper Arm's breaking point at around 200F.

EDIT: Also this design also creates Dirt from PW. I had to have to Dupe go in and dig it out a few times until the Arm was ready.

I played around with it a bit more and I've think I finalized a system.

20180704202509_1.thumb.jpg.99ea40fae916bf389e5686244b97d1f8.jpg

As you can see I changed it to Water now that I have gallons upon gallons of it. I also turned the room into a vacuum. With using Polluted Water there was problems of tiles of Dirt appearing and Dupes needed to dig it out.

20180704202712_1.thumb.jpg.a4c9cce6452b713aff2da4f7259f6338.jpg

Here's what it looks like when it erupts. Its interesting that the tiles under the Sweeper Arm are still in a vacuum. I don't know if I was lucky on the side I picked or because of the Arm itself.

20180704202830_1.thumb.jpg.e17100ff0c74ceda95ee85e20dbcfb1d.jpg

When the Steam turns back into Water the room returns to it's vacuum state.

The Water level for the Volcano needs to be about 500Kg to retain a lip of Water when it turns into Steam. I don't know the Water level to make the game claim the Arm is submerged with the Arm in a vertical position, so having that bottom tile shouldn't be filled 100% because the lip going up the wall will give a false submerged warning.

If you're curious about the high temperature I had to vent Steam that was at 2500F while refilling the room with Water. That area will cool back down over time.

2 hours ago, vonVile said:

With using Polluted Water there was problems of tiles of Dirt appearing

That shouldn't happen unless the dirt appears en-mass. Anything small enough to not tile should be picked up by the sweeper.

His was my solution using magma:

You could swap the regolith out for liquid or gas coolant in a closed pipe. Gas would be safe as there is no risk of boiling. Or stick to solid matter cooling on a rail but use diamonds instead.

I've done a lot with volcanos and I've found consistently that it's best to use vacuum in the room itself with minimal cooling just to get the output in a solid state for sweeper arms then you can do whatever you want with the heat - run steam turbines, cook oil, draw a hot bath for trevaldo. Anything really.

Archived