add kick button on events

heyy look at that. One of those. 

I started late the event. I am lvl 6 atm and it is very hard to get on a game because everybody quit the lobby when I join. Result, I'm not enjoying the event.

A kick button would be an awful idea. If that trolling is too annoying for you go play private pls.

Kick button would get abused.

• Oh you're not this level? kicked
  • You're not playing this character? kicked
  • You didn't cook rock soup as the first dish? kicked

There's probably more ridiculously reasons to kick someone. Overall it's just a bad idea.

7 minutes ago, PillsStealer said:

Kick button would get abused.

• Oh you're not this level? kicked
  • You're not playing this character? kicked
  • You didn't cook rock soup as the first dish? kicked

There's probably more ridiculously reasons to kick someone. Overall it's just a bad idea.

yup. a better way is to add a limit as to what level of a person need to be to join the sever. 

42 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

I started late the event. I am lvl 6 atm and it is very hard to get on a game because everybody quit the lobby when I join. Result, I'm not enjoying the event.

...could you stop acting like a victim and just create a server named "Noobs are welcome" and farm exp utill you'll start avoiding low-level players?

Tbh I want kick option. Maybe not something like "Press this to kick this guy" but the vote-kick. I'm sure that future events (if there are going to be any) will have more than 3 people max limit so vote kick would work.

Also it's obvious that with or without kick option people with high level will always dislike low-level players. Even if they can't kick them they'll just go afk utill low-level player leaves 

What’s wrong with specifying that you’d like to play with others at a similar level? I don’t actually do this myself, but I wouldn’t be offended to be on the receiving end of it. It’s no reflection on you personally; some people have invested more time in the game at this point and have some other goal than teaching the inexperienced. If the server specifies that they want players of a certain level and above, just don’t join it, and certainly don’t be hurt if you get kicked for not paying attention to their request when you joined. There are a lot of clueless players out there blundering around with no idea what they’re doing, and I can see why players who are further along don’t want to have to explain this over and over again.

I wouldn’t have a problem with a kick button because servers are effectively unlimited, unlike the main game’s servers where there may only be 4 or 5 within a reasonable ping of your location. The troll guy in OP’s post is the problem, not the OP. I hope they managed to get the match they were trying for, but the reality is that trolls can be very determined, and quite capable of troll-joining over and over again, forcing the people who actually want to play to go afk.

The issue is that the Gorge has a quick-match function which doesn't care about titles; people get automatically put into your server if you choose to leave it open to quick-match.
You could always add a password and put it in the description for interested players.
If there's really a problem with a troll following you around, password it and send the pass to trusted players.

Everything you need to solve this issue is already in the game.

20 minutes ago, Szczuku said:

...could you stop acting like a victim and just create a server named "Noobs are welcome" and farm exp utill you'll start avoiding low-level players?

I tried that a couple of times. I just sit there alone until I decide to play solo or just leave. 

15 minutes ago, lifetheuniverse said:

The issue is that the Gorge has a quick-match function which doesn't care about titles; people get automatically put into your server if you choose to leave it open to quick-match.
You could always add a password and put it in the description for interested players.
If there's really a problem with a troll following you around, password it and send the pass to trusted players.

Everything you need to solve this issue is already in the game.

This usually works, however when you want to play but none of your friends can/want, you might want to play with random, but experienced players. 

no no this is a really bad idea; there are only 3 players in a match max, it would just be silly to be able to kick, since only 2/3 is is the majority.

you could enter a game and get kicked faster than a hummming birb flaping its wings. heres how fast that is

13 minutes ago, hhh2 said:

no no this is a really bad idea; there are only 3 players in a match max, it would just be silly to be able to kick, since only 2/3 is is the majority.

you could enter a game and get kicked faster than a hummming birb flaping its wings. heres how fast that is

What do you expect from 2 players who would kick you from the lobby? If you're alone against two others it doesn't really matter if there's kick or no, you won't have a good game if they don't want to play with you. 

I personally wouldn't oppose a kick option, it could spare some of our sanity. Or maybe there could be an "enable kick vote" option when requesting a new server, that way it won't be abused on public servers but semi-public ones can be protected from trolls.

7 hours ago, csc_unit said:

THIS. ^

Also this:

5 hours ago, fimmatek said:

This usually works, however when you want to play but none of your friends can/want, you might want to play with random, but experienced players. 

I too started late, and keep running into quick matches where it's level so-and-so and above.  And they don't even _nicely_ ask me to leave, the tone is more like "EEEEEWWW, who let the _noob_ in?  Gross!"  I especially love when they only talk to each other instead _about_ getting rid of the new stain in their carpet rather than TO me, as a person.  That's a wonderful feeling.

Why am I jumping into randoms? because every single time my friends are on, I'm either asleep or away, or THEY'RE.  ALREADY.  IN.  A. MATCH.  It only holds three people, after all.  It's _very_ likely that by the time I see a name pop up as "playing Don't Starve Together right now!" it's because they just joined a match.  I have a bunch of Steam friends!  Several of them are from this very forum, in fact!  Never played Gorge with a single one of them yet.  Ever.

The end result is that even now, several days after the event proper started, I'm still only level 5.  Because I just can't.  I can't even.

Solo?  Nobody's EVER let me cook the food; I'm always the wood-chopper!  I hardly know any recipes at all yet...I'm apparently playing the support class in the Gorge instead of the main star, but that's just fine.  As long as the other players treat me like an intelligent adult instead of some dumb giggling kid.

And yes, the main problem here is, indeed, quick matches.  Quick match don't give a f*** what your level is.  It do what it want.  Way too many people are SAYING their match is only for level so-and-so and up in their name or description...but not DOING any actual programming setting to enforce that.  Meaning that, for earnest _non_-trolling newbies who just want a chance to play, they're showing up by actual accident. Over, and over, and over...   

I miss the days when my worst quick-mismatch problem was that I'd get thrown into a Russian room.

...Notorious

31 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Solo?  Nobody's EVER let me cook the food; I'm always the wood-chopper!  I hardly know any recipes at all yet...

The one good thing about playing solo is that you can experiment more freely. You won't have others putting pressure on you to make the right dish. Failure is pretty much a certainty, but at least you won't have people yelling at you when you make a mistake. 

Just to be clear, you can ask for high lvl players to join only. Im not even clicking on those. Thing is people still quit even when the lobbys name doesn't specify anything about it... Thats lame and I end up doing something else. A lvl matchup could solve the thing but whatever.

OPs suggestion about the kick option is where I mostly object to. I find it very selfish and laughable to whinne about getting trolled (like if it was a real systemic problem) and then proposing an option that would create some way bigger issues

tbh if a kick option were added to public matches we'd probably end up with the same kick-trolling spree that plagued regular public servers before play time voting limits were added
most of that was literally one guy with some bot accounts
2-player kicking would get silly quick

After playing forager for a couple of groups of more advanced friends to a win, I decided what I wanted to do was fill out my recipe book by actually cooking them myself. For that, soloing for a while is the way to go. I’m not sure why someone at 6 or 7 would even want to play with someone at 20 or up, because you’re not going to learn much chopping trees and fetching keys for them. If they actually want to win, letting you be cook is not a great strategy, so even if they do play with you, you’re likely to end up feeling like you’re causing them to fail because you have to keep looking up recipes. Why do you want to force them to play with you, especially since they’re likely to be frustrated by the experience? Given that Quick Match doesn’t automatically group players by level, what exactly is so wrong with players taking the matter into their own hands? I get that that some people are hurt by being asked to leave a match, but with all due respect, this seems like an issue—taking very personally things that can’t possibly represent a personal judgement about you —that does not originate in the game. And again, quick matches are full of seemingly  zoned-out, very young, or other-language players who don’t respond to chat or even really understand how the match system works or what’s going on at all, so if more advanced players want to get out quick without trying to process everyone’s feelings about the situation, you can’t really blame them. They’re just trying to play a game.

I still haven’t gotten to the big-meat dishes in my cookbook, but the solo recipe challenge is a great way to learn how the Gorge works. Also, I’m now at level 51. Personally, I would not mind playing some quick matches with less experienced players because I’m getting to the point where I am competent enough to help them learn the basics. But I don’t think I should be obligated to do this every time I opt for a quick match.

We needed it last event and we need it now. People going afk in lobby and never leaving, people trolling; there's no way to combat that. And if people want to kick out noobs, let them, so what? Noobs should play with other noobs until they're good.

yeah it's fine, i also think kicking would abuse newcomers, newer players have to have a chance to play, i alwayls play anybody in gorge if they can speak english, i've won with alot of level 1-10 who were legit people and listened a bit, they were also extremely thankful afterwords, and obv if they understood english, if that s not the case i usually leave the game. I'd say i've won w atleast 5 players who we're on their first game in gorge, and not just by telling go chop wood, but obv giving easier roles to them while also doing some explaining. But i think i rly enjoy helping so i might be the problem.

Yeah winning with new gorge players is really awarding. I still mess up with people with level 30+. Most of the problems comes from player who meant it well. However kicking out does not solve the problem, because newbies will have to wait for so long to find someone to play with.

However I did not met a troll yet. I saw some people can get inpolite to shoo low level players out of the server. It's annoying since there is always the option to create a server for specific level groups. The normal region based servers should be avialable for everyone.

Incidentally, I tried playing solo for the heck of it, last night.  Even though I was on at some insane time of early morning, my ping was H O R R I B L E.  Spaced out like that to give the feeling of how slow everything was.  Like, it took me multiple seconds to pick up each individual coin, seed, log...  I have no idea what the hell region it connected me to, but it was SO slow that between accidentally making the wrong thing the first time and having to gather everything myself _and_ farm _and_ trade, etc.--I didn't get even one single dish made.  Not one.  The XP was still enough to kick me up a level, but only because I was level 5 and about 2/3 of the way there already anyway.

Then, just to test it, I not only went into regular non-event Don't Starve Together, but started a new world that was MODDED OUT TO THE NINES*, including new (to me) mods I hadn't tried yet...and it ran smooth as always.  What.  The Eff.  Also bear in mind that for some reason my _regular_ DST server appears to be in the next STATE over.  Why there wasn't a server closer than that I don't know, but...

So for the Gorge itself, apparently I was being connected to...(scratches head) Mars?  Or maybe one of those hollowed-out asteroid colonies.  ;)

(I should mention here that I have, in fact, had offers of help from people on this forum, and I apologise if it seems like I'm completely ignoring you or not counting your help as "help", or something.  The problem is I was sick all last weekend, and keep not being up to a fast-paced challenge where others are counting on me, at quite the times that the friends ARE available to help me, so...  I dunno, if something is timed and/or public, it stresses me out more than something I can do at my own pace and nobody will care if I mess up or not.  : P)

...Notorious

*Well, 20 mods.  Many of them purely aesthetic, but still...  I've seen some servers that would consider that--a ha ha--MODerate (ba-DUM-tish!) but it's the highest number _I've_ ever had running at once!

Instead of a kick button which toxic/elitists can easily use to abuse the feature, Klei should implement a feature that hosts can click on during CUSTOM MADE match for example:

• Level 1-10
  • Level 11-20
  • Level 21-30
  • Level 31-40
  • Level 41-50
  • Level 51-60
  • Level 61-70

so fort.... and ONLY players who meet the required lvl can join the CUSTOM MATCH party and the HOST has to meet the REQUIRED lvl as well. It would be unfair for the host to be looking for only lvl 50+ players while being lvl 1. So like this, it's a fair game for everyone in a CUSTOM MADE party.

As for Quick Match, it should stay as is... if you don't like who you got in a Quick Match, just leave... it's called Quick Match for a reason, if you want to be picky about it, then do a custom match or keep trying to get higher lvls in Quick Match by existing and retrying but no one should be kicked out just because you didn't like getting a certain level player in a Quick Match.

Archived