Jump to content

Lime Bottleneck


Recommended Posts

I've been ranching quite a lot and around cycle 300 am ranching far more than a saner person would likely be and lime for steel is still a huge bottle neck.  Granted I havn't been ranching larger critters like hatches and dreckos much yet. 

To have enough for a considerably large safe solar farm would take far too long to be worth the time invested waiting for a solar farm.

Oh yeah wrangled dense pufts look like they might be missing something.

20180615192046_1.thumb.jpg.24c946a9f8faba472304e8d5074aec7a.jpg

Egg values:

Shine bug: 100g

Pufts: 250g

Drecko: 1000g

Slickster: 1000g

Pacu: 2000g

I've been ranching the lower value eggs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lime = Pacu farming.

I believe it was even you I saw in a different post that said it may be the new meta for CU (maybe not you, I forgot)

It even says up there that you got 44 tons of Algae. What other reason do you have to keep Algae in the late game?

I'm looking for an Algae seed to see if I can race to the surface. I have one now with 40 tons just in the starting area. It involves non-stop ranching, but lime is lime. And I needs some.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh Ive got a ton of passive pacu at least a dozen or more in several different bodies of water. If that were true I wouldn't have made this thread.

though I would never actively ranch them anymore. 

You will eventually run out of algae and then your pacu all die off. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

All the shinebugs got extinct in my run, they couldnt keep up on their own :/ Everything else is pretty abundant in the wild, and i never really cared much about them, besides a handful of hatches and some pacu in an aquarium.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

You will eventually run out of algae and then your pacu all die off. 

As long as they are Wild, this will only happen if they become Glum.  If you use the Fish Feeder, they will hatch Tame and yes they will die from starvation before they produce an Egg.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This was a problem even before the nerfed eggshell masses, I suggested an alternative, more accessible source, perhaps a bit more support for it will help get a solution for this in the next update:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I breed hatches. I produce oxygen from polluted water, getting clay as a by-product. 1.6 kg of clay per 1 kg of oxygen. One duplicant consumes 60kg of oxygen per cycle, Thus producing 96kg of clay. So 6 duplicants are able to feed 4 hatches, Incidentally getting 280kg of coal per cycle.

Spoiler

Screen.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

Thus producing 96kg of clay. So 6 duplicants are able to feed 4 hatches, Incidentally getting 420kg of coal per cycle.

Do sage hatches eat clay? Otherwise I'm at loss how 4 hatches give you 420kg coal/cycle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Do sage hatches eat clay? Otherwise I'm at loss how 4 hatches give you 420kg coal/cycle.

Only basic Hatches eat Clay.

3 minutes ago, AnotherBoris said:

Oops. My mistake, sorry. 140*4/2 =280 kg of coal.

But if you are only providing them 96 kg of Clay, they only have 96 kg to eat.  So you should only be sustaining 1 permanently without other outside food sources.

Unless you're keeping them Wild?  That reduces their metabolism, but would also slow their output accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PhailRaptor said:

But if you are only providing them 96 kg of Clay, they only have 96 kg to eat

96 per duplicant. I have 6 duplicants. 96 * 6 = 576kg clay per cycle.

One hatch can eat 140 kg clay per cycle. 140*4 = 560 kg per Cycle.

All fine! :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My problem is that eggs a huge micro.  You can't just put the cracker on auto because then you kill all of the babies which means the adults die and are not replaced.  So you have this huge micro to manage adult population and only kill off surplus eggs.  The egg yield is terrible so no real steel production.

So after 50 cycles, I managed 4 blast doors via picu's and tropical fish.  Only I am out of algae now and have no interest in a large puff/PO system for slime for algae for pikus for lime to make a tiny amount of steel.

 

Steel or eggs are broken.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, AnotherBoris said:

I breed hatches. I produce oxygen from polluted water, getting clay as a by-product. 1.6 kg of clay per 1 kg of oxygen. One duplicant consumes 60kg of oxygen per cycle, Thus producing 96kg of clay. So 6 duplicants are able to feed 4 hatches, Incidentally getting 280kg of coal per cycle.

  Hide contents

Screen.png

 

I was going to say don't you get dirt from boiling polluted water...

I was then going to say you could use a liquid oxygen setup...

But with all the free filtration medium from space with no direct use turning it in to clay this way isn't a terrible idea.

Nice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 0xFADE said:

But with all the free filtration medium from space with no direct use turning it in to clay this way isn't a terrible idea.

Nice.

One more thing. We always can convert clay to ceramic and ceramic to sand for glass. So we can not worry about the sand.

In general, this is part of the plan for recycling the regolith. Solar power produces too much useless hot regolith. In addition to recycling 89kg of regolith for oxygen production, we also recycle 12kg for the production of 60kg of clean water, which is enough for growing food for one duplicant.

Actually, apart from these 101 kg per cycle per duplicant, I did not come up with anything else :)


 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2018 at 11:32 PM, 0xFADE said:

Oh Ive got a ton of passive pacu at least a dozen or more in several different bodies of water. If that were true I wouldn't have made this thread.

though I would never actively ranch them anymore. 

You will eventually run out of algae and then your pacu all die off. 

I don't know. Pacu farming works for me and is worth it. I have 1 ton of Lime after day 120 I think. That's not bad, unless people are getting better numbers elsewhere.

A nice advantage is the food you get back from cracking all those Pacu eggs. I have almost a million calories saved up from omelettes, and in the time I used to burn out my Pacu's, I now have enough Sage hatches to eat the remainder of all those calories so I'm not wasting raw minerals.

Doesn't take much. I only have 4 Pacus running to achieve this, and even now that my Pacus have run out of Algae at Day 120, the massive Sage/Stone hatch setup I have continues feeding the Sages well past the death of the fish, and produces enough lime to go forward.

 

HOWEVER. I don't think all this crazy critter micro should be the only way to get lime to explore the surface. It'd be nice for a few options so I can mix it up from time to time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/16/2018 at 10:20 AM, chemie said:

My problem is that eggs a huge micro.  You can't just put the cracker on auto because then you kill all of the babies which means the adults die and are not replaced.  So you have this huge micro to manage adult population and only kill off surplus eggs.  The egg yield is terrible so no real steel production.

So after 50 cycles, I managed 4 blast doors via picu's and tropical fish.  Only I am out of algae now and have no interest in a large puff/PO system for slime for algae for pikus for lime to make a tiny amount of steel.

 

Steel or eggs are broken.

You can automate the eggs. Using a sweeper and rail to collect the eggs. With a dead end line that loops to whatever amount you want to save. I use 4 eggs circling the loop, while all extra eggs brought to the cracker.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Hellshound38 said:

You can automate the eggs. Using a sweeper and rail to collect the eggs. With a dead end line that loops to whatever amount you want to save. I use 4 eggs circling the loop, while all extra eggs brought to the cracker.

Eggs lose viability on rails though. You can automate every part of ranching but rail loops isn't the way to do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With an incubator (set on high prio) and the new autowrangling feature you should be able to produce lime (and omelettes) w/o micromanagement I think.

You set up a room A where you actively ranch, with an incubator and a second room B where you just let your critters die off w/o actively caring for them. You autowrangle the critters from room A to B to keep your critters in A happy. Since your incubator is on a high priority it will always contain a hatching egg, while you can freely deliver your surplus eggs to a cracker.

But lime might very well be a bottleneck ressource. So far cycle 300 bases of experienced players usually have all the tech unlocked and implemented to some degree. Probably earlier. If @0xFADE has trouble producing steel with a 300 cycle base then we might be looking at a balanceing issue here or at a unnecessary timesink.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, clickrush said:

ince your incubator is on a high priority it will always contain a hatching egg

Incubators don't have a 'continuous production' option. You have to manually set each egg to incubate.

 

I'll post my automation solution in a new thread since this keeps coming up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...