Jump to content

Why is there no build involving glass forge yet


Recommended Posts

I am searching around the web for a week now and am still unable to find any build examples including the glass forge.

I would like to see examples that show

  • nice ways to cool the glass after production,
  • usage of the glass heat for things like (steam turbines, water purification, cooking ng),
  • maybe even a self-sufficient glass forge
  • and finally fully automated setups for it.

So far nothing has come up. Not even from Beard-ghar.

Does this mean the building is still bugged or am i missing something obvious?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my first prototype I built in debug

1 hour ago, blash365 said:
  • nice ways to cool the glass after production,
  • maybe even a self-sufficient glass forge
  • and finally fully automated setups for it.

The forge requires a dupe to operate, other than that it is fully automated

In my setup it drops the molten glass into cold petroleum were it sit's for a full day before the sweeper picks it up during the night cycle (clock sensor controls sweeper at 5% duration)

Best material to build the forge with is obsidian and the insulated pipes with abyssalite

Everything is cooled with wheeze warts

20180613161600_1.thumb.jpg.70ec77a78ce04146150391cc08063efd.jpg20180613161544_1.thumb.jpg.9aa6961ee8876b72da80d19006e11338.jpg20180613161527_1.thumb.jpg.1db7a75b9fa410b064b60fb26a140c6a.jpg20180613161511_1.thumb.jpg.31cbe66891e5eeff234eb842cb31e434.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Neotuck:Thanks so far already. Especially for the timely feedback.

Any chance for using the extra heat for a steam turbine? Do we get sufficient heat to get steam up to 300°C? I'd really love to power my base with sand.;)

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Just posted my glass forge abusing idea in an other thread here^^

 

=> Using a volcano, rock granulator and glass forge to liquify the debris above my bunker doors ;)


Would love to see your idea fleshed out. Did you build it already or is it just a brain child?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Any chance for using the extra heat for a steam turbine? Do we get sufficient heat to get steam up to 300°C? I'd really love to power my base with sand.;)

Well it produces 25 kg molten glass at 1700C I would say it's possible to run a radiant pipe though steam but glass will solidify at 1426.9C and break the pipe

Another option is to use a conveyor rail to transport the hot glass after it's solid to heat the steam

The only problem I see is quantity as 25 kg isn't much and if you incorporate dupe time for production the forge runs 8 times per day divided by 600s in a cycle you get about 333 g/s avarage

I don't think that's sustainable to keep a steam turbine running and even if it was my setup almost uses 2000 W so there would be very little net gain for power 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Would love to see your idea fleshed out. Did you build it already or is it just a brain child?

Build something that inspired me to keep on with it:

- Can cool my doors and still liquify debris above it (but my heating loop isn´t protected)

=> tinkering with some setup to liquify the debris below my bunker doors

-Not sure how much liquid I would need and which pipes for my radiator (with 4 doors in a row the temp difference isn´t a real problem but if i want to cover the whole top layer ....)

- My glass production and molten glass deletion is already automated

 

=> So right now more a proof of concept than a real build.

(But since i didn´t found a more challenging build as goal for my cosmic upgrade base...^^)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Albryant said:

Beard-ghar?

 

4 minutes ago, thewreckedangle said:

brothgar

Actually its meant to be an amalgam of Lifegrowski (the guy with the beard) and Brothgar. Both of which are frequent ONI vloggers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thing you can do is create your own heat source for a NG boiler or polluted water boiler as a side effect of cooling the glass.  My thoughts are that this is could be used if you get an exceedingly bad volcanoes or no volcanoes (don't know if that's possible, I always seem to get one).  Essentially, these are volcano temperatures and you can use the liquid output from a glass forge as a replacement for a volcano in a volcano based boiler.  Then, as the glass cools, you can drain it out in to a pool of water like what @Neotuck posted to use as glass.  If you use a build that drains similarly to his harvestable copper volcano, you don't have to mine it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Neotuck said:

Well it produces 25 kg molten glass at 1700C I would say it's possible to run a radiant pipe though steam but glass will solidify at 1426.9C and break the pipe

Another option is to use a conveyor rail to transport the hot glass after it's solid to heat the steam

The only problem I see is quantity as 25 kg isn't much and if you incorporate dupe time for production the forge runs 8 times per day divided by 600s in a cycle you get about 333 g/s avarage

I don't think that's sustainable to keep a steam turbine running and even if it was my setup almost uses 2000 W so there would be very little net gain for power 

But you can just drop glass on the ground under steam turbine and then just pick it up with steel auto sweeper. Right?

Steam turbine is free stuff cooler first, and then it's a power generator

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, landromat said:

But you can just drop glass on the ground under steam turbine and then just pick it up with steel auto sweeper. Right?

3 problems with that

due to the pressure requirements of the steam turbine it would take a LOT of glass to heat up the steam

can't have liquid vents in the same space as steam due to over pressure

no way to automate a sweeper to pick up cold glass after it has transferred it's heat to the steam

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was going to build a collector for glass that was exactly like the ones for metal geysers.  With the hope that it can pull enough heat out through the conveyor to boil oil.

You get a lot of heat transfer through conveying the material through metal tiles.  Worked very well with metal geysers and should work for glass.  Just in much smaller amounts since glass has such low heat capacity.  The low heat capacity is also why I don't want to try taking heat from it while still a liquid in the pipes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

due to the pressure requirements of the steam turbine it would take a LOT of glass to heat up the steam

as i said, steam turbine is for cooling stuff in first place. You don't need to start it, just throw anything into the chamber and cool it down to 226C 

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

can't have liquid vents in the same space as steam due to over pressure

first time hear about it. liquid vents work great for me

2 hours ago, Neotuck said:

no way to automate a sweeper to pick up cold glass after it has transferred it's heat to the steam

there is always something we can do

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe not enough on its own for either oil cooking or steam turbine, but I can imagine this can support 500°C geysers in doing so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Well it produces 25 kg molten glass at 1700C I would say it's possible to run a radiant pipe though steam but glass will solidify at 1426.9C and break the pipe

Another option is to use a conveyor rail to transport the hot glass after it's solid to heat the steam

so I still haven't done anything with conveyors so this may be a stupid question, I play survival and just when I get a base to the point I start building one, a new build comes out and breaks everything, LOL   Will the sweeper handle the 1700c glass without breaking?  I can see possibilities for turning PH20 to clean with your idea on the rail and then using your wheeze box to start to cool the steam, but unsure how that would work without melting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

so I still haven't done anything with conveyors so this may be a stupid question, I play survival and just when I get a base to the point I start building one, a new build comes out and breaks everything, LOL   Will the sweeper handle the 1700c glass without breaking?  I can see possibilities for turning PH20 to clean with your idea on the rail and then using your wheeze box to start to cool the steam, but unsure how that would work without melting?

I don't think the sweeper will handle that. The glass will have to cool down. Although you can craft the sweeper out of steel now, which gives a fairly big overheat bonus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

Will the sweeper handle the 1700c glass without breaking?

if you can partially submerge the sweeper in water you can keep it cool

19 minutes ago, Denisetwin said:

I can see possibilities for turning PH20 to clean with your idea on the rail and then using your wheeze box to start to cool the steam, but unsure how that would work without melting?

Wheeze warts don't cool fast enough if you boil PHO2, best to use aqua tuners and petroleum.  I made posts a while ago on a boiler that used conveyor rails.  Here's a picture:

20180322012522_1.thumb.jpg.48d1ba4e075a11d713d408626530f5b2.jpg

You can even take it a step further and male liquid oxygen with thermal regulators

LOX01.thumb.png.983b4728f6458c855e10efe10d9476a1.png 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, turbonl64 said:

I don't think the sweeper will handle that. The glass will have to cool down.

From what I've seen, sweepers don't seem to care about the temperature of what they retrieve. I used one to sweep some 800°C igneous rock from a volcano and its temperature didn't go up (except from the temperature it produces when operating). So as long as the sweeper remains in a vacuum it should be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ainsley4ever said:

From what I've seen, sweepers don't seem to care about the temperature of what they retrieve. I used one to sweep some 800°C igneous rock from a volcano and its temperature didn't go up (except from the temperature it produces when operating). So as long as the sweeper remains in a vacuum it should be fine.

Oh I didn't know that. Interesting. However, will the operating temperature not just build up and eventually overheat the sweeper anyway? And are we perhaps able to work something out with temp shift plates and radiant pipes to cool it inside the vacuum?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, turbonl64 said:

Oh I didn't know that. Interesting. However, will the operating temperature not just build up and eventually overheat the sweeper anyway? And are we perhaps able to work something out with temp shift plates and radiant pipes to cool it inside the vacuum?

You can partially submerge it in a liquid to keep it cool as Neotuck said, and when the liquid gets too hot just pump it away to cool it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...