Liquid cooled bunker doors for solar power plants

With the new "walls" added it's now possible to hold liquids and gas in the void so I can up with a quick way to keep bunker doors cooled by adding a layer of petroleum under the doors that will act as a heat sink pulling heat away from the doors while they are closed.

a wall behind the petroleum keeps it from venting into space

a conductive pipe running though the petroleum using a coolant of your choice will keep the petroleum from getting too hot 

light passes though petroleum no problem making it idea for solar plant designs 

Pics: before meteor shower

20180605175419_1.thumb.jpg.f99902d5db923d597d7121b72c7f573c.jpg20180605175432_1.thumb.jpg.4716de77d622a8d0284cac40de465252.jpg

During meteor shower

20180605181310_1.thumb.jpg.655482edfa180e53b8affd00b4610c30.jpg20180605181336_1.thumb.jpg.9b5c0792784b94d2047da4546ece185b.jpg20180605181504_1.thumb.jpg.809a456baa927be38bd1c43068feb3dc.jpg

After meteor shower and dupes dig up any regolith on the doors

20180605181706_1.thumb.jpg.11d6de8064778d23a44a91ccdff3cd21.jpg

Doors will cool down the next time they close

20180605182230_1.thumb.jpg.37ecce5b18f6639ad6f853cfc91762b7.jpg

1 minute ago, SharraShimada said:

Nice work, but one question: How the *** are dupes going up there to clean the doors?

Yeah i may be blind, but there are no ladder or something?

this was done in debug to see if it was possible, yes if this was done in real game there would be ladders

A few responses come to mind:

-Doors now have a sufficiently high overheat temp that this shouldn't be needed.

-Just doing a layer of glass below the doors should achieve the same result since all you're doing is cell-cell conduction to reduce the heat.

-All of this for less net power gained than a single NGG.

Solar panels need more than just some QoL buffs to be worth making.

26 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

-Doors now have a sufficiently high overheat temp that this shouldn't be needed.

they gain temp every time a meteor hits so even with increased overheat temp it will still eventually overheat in a vacuum

-Just doing a layer of glass below the doors should achieve the same result since all you're doing is cell-cell conduction to reduce the heat.

large meteors cause splash damage one tile in every direction around the doors so if I had glass there it would break

-All of this for less net power gained than a single NGG.

I only showed 4 solar panels to fit in a single screenshot, it's possible to stack more so the power would be worth it

19 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

But look at how much invested metal and whatnot you have for about 1kw.  That would be a super late game investment.

I agree it would be late game and uses a lot of steel, but iron is now a limitless resource from the meteors so there should be plenty to work with and make steel late game.  Possibly can start mid game if there's an iron volcano on the map.

15 hours ago, Neotuck said:

I agree it would be late game and uses a lot of steel, but iron is now a limitless resource from the meteors so there should be plenty to work with and make steel late game.  Possibly can start mid game if there's an iron volcano on the map.

I'm finding the bottleneck for steel right now is lime. Can't seem to get enough of it. It doesn't help that the nerf to NGGs means I can't run as large a slickster farm as I use to.

1 hour ago, JonnyMonroe said:

I'm finding the bottleneck for steel right now is lime. Can't seem to get enough of it. It doesn't help that the nerf to NGGs means I can't run as large a slickster farm as I use to.

I just stick to sage hatches, they are the easiest to ranch and 1 full stable can run 2 coal gens

Just now, Neotuck said:

I just stick to sage hatches, they are the easiest to ranch and 1 full stable can run 2 coal gens

No matter what morph you ranch it's 10 eggs to 100kg of steel, 80 for a bunker door (and a bunker door is more material efficient than bunker tiles). You're gonna need a LOT of stables to build anything large scale.

22 minutes ago, JonnyMonroe said:

No matter what morph you ranch it's 10 eggs to 100kg of steel, 80 for a bunker door (and a bunker door is more material efficient than bunker tiles). You're gonna need a LOT of stables to build anything large scale.

Iron isn't the issue.  As pointed put here, egg shells prevent most of these designs

Just don´t build a compost xD

The rockgranulator can only store 5kg of egg shells and if it´s full the excess egg shells will be brought to the compost (seems that the compost uses egg shells before polluted dirt or maybe just the last delivered material first)

39 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Why does the petroleum not fade into the vacuum as soon as the doors open? Shouldnt there be an extra glass wall above the petroleum?

liquids are effected by gravity, as long as there is a tile underneath and walls in the background they won't vent into space

4 minutes ago, blash365 said:

Ah, now i finally get what the "walls" in the changelog were supposed to be. Wallpaper or background wall would have been better words for it imho.

Thanks for clearing it up for me.

Be sure to tell the devs that, but until then "Wall" is what it's called :D

111.png.d536bb804e07d99d2ff1dad0bc84ab42.png

I can't access my PC now, but:

-What is the material cost (type and amount)?

-Is there a decor bonus?

Cooling the doors is now not required. The doors have now a overheat temperature of 1200°C. Another part is the fail of these devmode builds. Have u ever tried to build it under normal terms ? I have tried it.

The first fail is to use petroleum. It is not the liquid itself, but u must move it to the surface from the bottom of the map. Try it by yourself and u exit the game :D Another thing is your battery build. U placed it on the surface. They will be overheating by time! The bunker tiles will be heating the whole construct. Don't build such constructs. A hint from me. Build the whole needed stuff, like batteries, transformers in normal biomes and wiring it to the top, to for example the bunker doors.

2 hours ago, DustFireSky said:

Cooling the doors is now not required.

I made this post back when overheating was a problem

Try it by yourself and u exit the game

are you implying moving the petroleum causes the game to shutdown? sounds more like a glitch than a fail

Another thing is your battery build. U placed it on the surface. They will be overheating by time! The bunker tiles will be heating the whole construct

first I built it to fit in a screenshot, the point of the post was to show how to cool doors, not how to cool batteries.  I know there are better ways to cool batteries.  Also they are not built on bunker tiles, those are metal tiles with cold p water piped though it.  That's why in the pics the battery temp never increased

On 6/6/2018 at 2:38 PM, Neotuck said:

By the time you have a full sage stable, don't you find you are off coal gens anyway?

1 minute ago, chemie said:

By the time you have a full sage stable, don't you find you are off coal gens anyway?

I usually do a mix of coal and nat gas for my primary power grid.  I don't see solar power being an effective replacement but as a temp boost to a power grid to save fuel for the other generators 

45 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

I usually do a mix of coal and nat gas for my primary power grid.  I don't see solar power being an effective replacement but as a temp boost to a power grid to save fuel for the other generators 

Interesting.  My coal gens maybe run 2% of the time once Nat gas is up fully with pet gens as the main backup.

I will not be using solar and sadly see no use in critters right now.

Archived