Cycle 50 Hot Polluted Oxygen Vent

I play survival only, on cycle 50 just uncovered a hot polluted oxygen vent not far from my base.  It outputs at 500c  O_O      I had uncovered only the bottom two and one up tiles on it and it's currently dormant but I quickly changed research and researched insulated tiles and bricked it up.  

Is there anything that can be done with this vent early game? 

heck, I don't even know how to handle that hot in later game!  Will exosuits melt at that temp?   

If anyone has screenshots of how they were able to utilize their hot polluted oxygen vent, I need some ideas.  I'm a visual learner.... 

It is partially going to depend on the output quantities of the geyser.  Can you click on the geyser and post a shot of the geyser specs?

For low volume, I typically wrap the geyser in an abysallite box with another box above with wheezeworts/hydrogen and put a conductive surface between the two, with or without temp shift plates.

For higher volume, you could use a conveyor to move chilled objects through the geyser area or use pipes to move a chilled liquid through it using an aquatuner to keep it cold.

20180430161851_1.thumb.jpg.311fe3f5255e50a63550166860912b86.jpg

Early game, there isn't much you can do with it.

500oC is incredibly hot, and will melt any pump you put in the container to move the gas, and other than cooling it using the above mentioned methods, there isn't much that can be done with it under any circumstances. It may be useful later on (once cooled) as an infinite source of oxygen, but the heat will be killer.

Depending on the output, for early game, maybe use door compressor to keep it small in size and use the heat to cook polluted water to clean water. Or better cook slime or polluted dirt to dirt or sand. But then you would have to cool the dirt to be useful for mealwood. 

Probably best to brick it up.

Its not energy dense enough to Cook pH2O. Polluted water is extremely good coolant. 500 degree pO2 is actually very hard to utilise. Originally I planned to tri-stage cool it.

Newest plan is using a block of cool polluted water pipes to cool The geysir to 50 degrees and pump the result to pufts for dusk caps.

20 minutes ago, SamLogan said:

I have the same "500 degree" geyser but mine it's a CO2 one. Actually, it produces 35°C CO2, I think it's internal temperature or a bug.

internal.thumb.png.1f2c8d465776e4dfe686ff46b6785be0.png

It is most likely outputting 500 degrees but the heat is rapidly changing because of the solids around it, including the ones on the ground, I mean 100 or so grams versus hundreds of kilograms of material, it will eventually heat up, but will most likely take a long time.

Like when using an AETN you can instantly liquify a natural gas geysers output if you set it up right and that something like 150 degrees

I made an abyssalite tunnel with two deoderizers that with a liquid radiator using polluted water at 5degrees cools the geyzer po2 almost instantly and before leaving the tunnel is converted to o2 and then is dropped into the base. Didnt need electrolyzers till 500 cycles and 9 dupes with the vent.

reminds me of the time I found a 700 c hydrogen vent XD

Maybe it wasn't 700 c, I use kelvins, I know it was INCREDIBLY high, higher than anything I'd seen before, besides lava, I was like, NOPE.avi and opened the sandbox mode and froze it good.

On 02/05/2018 at 12:28 AM, beowulf2010 said:

Hydrogen vents are supposed to be 500C which would be about 770K.

Luckily they're usually low (best case) to useless (more common) volumes so it's not as bad to cool down to pumpable temps as it seems. 

I usually cool my hydrogen vent with just two wheezeworts, but I cannot beging pumping out gas until it is over 2kg per tile otherwise the heat rapidly builds up and breaks my pump

On 30.4.2018 at 5:00 PM, Denisetwin said:

I play survival only,

Did it in the past too, but sometimes game acts unfair, or buggy.
With every update things still change.
For now, i use debug in such situations, to prevent frustration.
Worldgen is far away from "balanced"

i have a PO2 vent with 500°C too.

I isulated it ,put on top thungsten metal plates and drip small amounts of polluted water on them. Not much, because the plates reach barely 125°C but it works. After a little snake parkour the PO2 is on 50°C and gets pumped into liquid oxygen maker.

The steam goes to my normal water reservoir where it is cold enough to condence.

Yes, it looks ugly and is a mess (specialy the automation) but works^^

po2.png

Archived