Automated Meat Farming

It is possible to automate the killing of hatches via drowning, and they drop meat. This means that at the cost of power and heat, you can farm barbecue instead of omelette from your hatch stables.

5abb128181e94_2018-03-27(3).thumb.png.130b8ce3f2e81c6e164fb751f15b3d9a.png

5abb129661f0f_2018-03-27(4).thumb.png.42ce985c7fcb621b38de889283cb19a9.png

I forgot to show the automation, but it's simple: the weight plate feeds into a buffer gate at 5s delay and then a filter gate at 2s delay and then into the door.

Each hatch produces 7% of an egg per cycle, so 0.07 * 2800 = 196 kcal/cycle if you make an omelette out of it. If you instead make barbecue, you get 0.07 * 4000 = 280 kcal/cycle, a ~43% increase. This means that a full stable of 8 hatches, which could before support 196*8/1000 = 1.57 dupes can now support 280*8/1000 = 2.24 dupes. Unfortunately, that's still not very much, but there's a quality increase too, so maybe this is an alternate way to keep the upper echelon of your base (tenured scientists, exosuit engineers, etc.) fed and happy.

As for incubators: each stable is producing 0.07*8 = 0.56 eggs/cycle, and one incubator can incubate 0.1 eggs/cycle, so you need 5.6 incubators per stable. That's a lot of power and a lot of heat, so it's probably still not very practical.

9 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

not fully automated unless it's possible to automate placing eggs into incubators 

still a good idea and sustainable if you farm wild pincha pepperplants, nice work

I would say it's automated in that you don't need to order the dupes to attack the hatch.  You can set it up and walk away.

31 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I would say it's automated in that you don't need to order the dupes to attack the hatch.  You can set it up and walk away.

I guess it depends on what a player defines as "fully automated" and "automated"

3 minutes ago, Grimgaw said:

Instead of all this automation just put water bottler or horizontal pneumatic doors in there and watch magic happen.

They fixed falling through bottlers but the pneumatic door still works. This was the approach I chose for harvesting meat.

This only works though if you are farming or wild farming Pincha Peppers. If not then eggs are better and use less energy (Since an Incubator and Sweeper arm both use power.

But if you are able to keep up with it then yeah thats 4 dupes worth of food

Quite recently, I have seen a hatch to carelessly jump into a 2 tiles deep pool and drown in it. If that wasn't a fluke I guess it can be reduced even further, just give him a well two tiles deep filled with water.

Not only hatches but morbs too.  I recently noticed that most of my morbs had vanished.  I thought maybe they were starving to death or something,  but while I was watching that area,  the last remaining morb jumped into the water lock I had in that area and went pop.  Lesson learned.  No more water locks near the critters. 

Can someone design a cruelty free method?  I feel like the Hatches should have some time to grow up and experience life.  Free roaming in the fields.  Playing with fellow Hatches.  Death should also be painless.  Perhaps, carbon monoxide could be used to let them pass away in a pain free manner.

9 minutes ago, badimo said:

Can someone design a cruelty free method?  I feel like the Hatches should have some time to grow up and experience life.  Free roaming in the fields.  Playing with fellow Hatches.  Death should also be painless.  Perhaps, carbon monoxide could be used to let them pass away in a pain free manner.

Free ranged hatches!

22 minutes ago, badimo said:

The irony is that no critters need any air at all to survive. And are unaffected by any type of gas. And yet they can all drown (except slicksters).

Free Range Meat, mini build:

20180328223604_1.thumb.jpg.f135ce05b60434b6e83c67fab38d63f2.jpg

After hatching, the Kobe Hatch is lured into a pool of water by the delicious Clay and Huma... Duplicantly euthanized by high voltage.

</salespitch>
Pros:
Soul Food

Cons:
Every new egg has to be set manually.
Eggs have to be cracked by Ranger.
Lure is effectively lost - gets eaten and not turned into coal before death

After writing this I got an idea of adding storage to see if the sweeper could load this with eggs but those would spoil in recectable, so probably only thing that could work is a powered fridge in the water pool.
EDIT: Sweeper is not capable of putting the egg to incubator.

Honestly not that bad to get meat, but the micro setting for every new egg turns me off.

Free Range Meat, mini build mk2:

20180329020134_1.thumb.jpg.40a6c63a89268a46494fdaf623b041ef.jpg

This setup successfully worked without a lure. They went through water and then sometimes got stuck under the door and drown. One wide pool is not enough as they jump across. Wheezes added because of heat.

Mk 3 would be making this symmetrical, putting Sweeper between a pair of doors, and moving loader up, so they don't eat the meat. Happened once. Maybe not fully symmetrical, 8 incubators is pushing up to the wire limit.

Archived