Yet Another Self-Powered Self-Cooled O2 Module (updated)

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Can I ask what the point would be?

You can't get more oxygen out. It's already self-powered and self-cooled. It's already functions flawlessly for unlimited amount of time as long as you keep feeding it water. It can't overheat or suffer any long term stability issues.

I was wanting to see if this design could be upscaled I prefer to have my oxygen sufficiently supported by a single unit but I think I’ll just build a few of these since they are so good.

oh and how much extra hydrogen dose this produce a cycle?

37 minutes ago, BT_20 said:

I was wanting to see if this design could be upscaled I prefer to have my oxygen sufficiently supported by a single unit but I think I’ll just build a few of these since they are so good.

oh and how much extra hydrogen dose this produce a cycle?

Good question. I haven't actually measured but should be about 28g/s average if daily reports consumption is correct.

@BT_20 Turns out it's 38g/s surplus on average (I forgot to subtract the feed pump which is on another circuit).

ah ah, nice design @Saturnus.  I came up with something extremely similar recently. (great minds think alike, lol)  ;)

I just made it bigger so dupes can go in it if needed, and I use the bottom of the borg cube for a cooling room for power machines. I also just use water and basic materials so that I can build it fairly early. My tempshift plates are mostly igneous rock, lol.

image.thumb.png.a751e4ef4a7cfc9c5211492a52c73757.png

temp is great and fairly controllable:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.5a220df551a11cb866ade5dd2baade3e.png

borg cube also for cooling geyser water:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.e2aff9ec1232665c753f8f83c703041e.png

@manu_x32 Indeed. Personally I think the best part of my design is the fact that there's no exotic materials used at all like yours. It's easy to bang something together in debug mode, use tungsten everywhere, plaster diamond shift plates all over, use high pressure vents, etc etc, and completely forget what the design is intended to do. For a O2 module the goal should be something you can build after having found the first water geyser, and want to move away from using algae for oxygen, so a player likely would not have had time yet to go find large amounts of exotic materials.

Btw, you should really switch to smart batteries. The difference in heat output compared to large batteries is immense.

6 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

@manu_x32 Indeed. Personally I think the best part of my design is the fact that there's no exotic materials used at all like yours. It's easy to bang something together in debug mode, use tungsten everywhere, plaster diamond shift plates all over, use high pressure vents, etc etc, and completely forget what the design is intended to do. For a O2 module the goal should be something you can build after having found the first water geyser, and want to move away from using algae for oxygen, so a player likely would not have had time yet to go find large amounts of exotic materials.

Yeah exactly!  I had built this in debug first trying to use no exotic materials, and when I saw that it worked I decided to try it in a real game.  Wheezeworths can be hard to find early game, so even though is a bit if a cheat, this is kind of the best solution right now.  And the best thing about it is I discovered it also powers most of my base.  I have two coal generators also, just in case...

6 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Btw, you should really switch to smart batteries. The difference in heat output compared to large batteries is immense.

Yeah I noticed.  But with these kinds of cooling rooms, heat is totally taken care off, and it also helps making sure that water heats up faster and never freezes. Water heating up faster means more stable air temp overall because it gets cooled more often.

6 hours ago, Saturnus said:

.... Personally I think the best part of my design is the fact that there's no exotic materials used .... For a O2 module the goal should be something you can build after having found the first water geyser, and want to move away from using algae for oxygen, so a player likely would not have had time yet to go find large amounts of exotic materials.

@Saturnusabsolutely correct. Thanks for posting this design!

One little drawback is however the size. But I guess you can easily scale up your design, using the same materials, but following the design of @manu_x32 (enlarged cube + more eletrolyzers), I guess?

On 2/19/2018 at 3:45 PM, Saturnus said:

Btw, here's the same thing with wheezeworts instead just to show you guys.

Still no exotic materials used. Only iron ore temp shift plates etc.

image.thumb.png.2c4b71e4a9fe79f973debf411f6f4153.png

Well. One of the requirement was it had to be self-powered.

Do you have the 1 tile height above electrolyzers just for compact convenience or is it functional?  I am wondering if this forces H2 up and O2 down?

I ask because this is less easy to build outside of debug

4 hours ago, chemie said:

Do you have the 1 tile height above electrolyzers just for compact convenience or is it functional?  I am wondering if this forces H2 up and O2 down?

I ask because this is less easy to build outside of debug

The tile gap both below and above the electrolyzers helps to separate oxygen from hydrogen much better.

Actually, I don't think it's a difficult build in survival mode at all. I have two in my current survival game. You just have to take it in logical steps and get every part correct.

Here's one of them

image.thumb.png.0570ab88b504395b05355fa33d662863.png

I also made two Valentine coolers in my current game. Here's one

image.thumb.png.3d3fa6d37871b973c7f5faf38d583ad5.png

I also have a Pacman ghost NG/Fert synth enclosure. That is not entirely done yet though. But it's functional but I need conveyors to get the fertilizer out again.

image.thumb.png.f28f17dcc5ef51e31162863bfc794414.png

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Actually, I don't think it's a difficult build in survival mode at all. I have two in my current survival game. You just have to take it in logical steps and get every part correct.

I actually got this going myself in survival mode without an issue.  It just took a little bit of thought as stated on how to assemble.  I do wonder thought if the aquatuner should be running as frequently as it does in my game, which seems to be quite a bit, or if its expected to eventually settle out after 25-50 cycles of operation.  I was going to add your addendum changes later tonight to see if that helps reduce some of the internal heat, but it does indeed function and is a survival capable build.  I set my settings to the ones you described in OP, and the o2 coming out is def < 80f.

44 minutes ago, rodr said:

I actually got this going myself in survival mode without an issue.  It just took a little bit of thought as stated on how to assemble.  I do wonder thought if the aquatuner should be running as frequently as it does in my game, which seems to be quite a bit, or if its expected to eventually settle out after 25-50 cycles of operation.  I was going to add your addendum changes later tonight to see if that helps reduce some of the internal heat, but it does indeed function and is a survival capable build.  I set my settings to the ones you described in OP, and the o2 coming out is def < 80f.

Hmm... did you corner build vacuums in the cooler? If there's air inside it'll be less efficient and run more often.

Just now, Saturnus said:

Hmm... did you corner build vacuums in the cooler? If there's air inside it'll be less efficient and run more often.

I didn't because of the way I approached the build tbh.  At first I had a vacuum, unintentionally (area was kinda flooded with chlorine to start) had to add more water as the thermo sensor was hitting the vacuum not the water line so it always read a subzero temp.  I can see how that'd work though.  Let me adjust that too and i'll ping back here.

5 hours ago, Cypher-7 said:

Two questions, what is a corner vacuum build?

"Corner vacuum" refers to diagonal construction "between" 2 existing tiles.  You can make use of this to build a tile over some gas that has nowhere to go, deleting it, then afterwards you deconstruct the tile, again diagonally, to remove the tile you created.  It's a great way to get rid of that 1 tile of gas in an otherwise sealed chamber, and is the easiest way to guarantee a vacuum in a designated area.

12 hours ago, Saturnus said:

image.thumb.png.f28f17dcc5ef51e31162863bfc794414.png

:)
Second time, i tried to run a game, without using any bugs. I accidentally triggered both times drip "bug".
Is ONI playable without those "bugs"? Wheezie cooling is the only thing in the game, to handle heat (+entropy device), but they are no logical gameplay element for me, but yes i have to use them..
Using aquatuners without drip "bug", makes things overcomplicated, because it takes so much time, to tune temperatures right way.
When you see a flaw in design and change stuff later, player has to break open sealed areas (vacuum/hydrochamber).
That forces me to use everytime same structures, to solve specific game problems.
Every time i start a new game, my playstyle feels more and more on rails. Sure learning curve is in every game and player has to get used to it, but in ONI it feels a bit strange, when experience is growing.
ONI is a great game for new players, so much errors to make, things to learn.

Just now, Oozinator said:

Why 20? 8 are enough for me, still some idle times..

yeah, 8 for me is also the ideal number of dupes, sometimes 10 if presented a decent dupe, how many oxydizer do you use? 1 or 2?
with this build 2 oxydizer seems capable of supplying lots of dupes + exosuits

3 hours ago, Lutzkhie said:

can this provide oxygen for atleast 20dupes?

Probably not. I had one running with 12 dupes, 3 of with had divers lungs and that was too much oxygen as it was starting to overpressurize the asteroid so I recruited 2 more dupes and that seems to strike an equilibrium, if a tiny deficit.

1 hour ago, Lutzkhie said:

yeah, 8 for me is also the ideal number of dupes, sometimes 10 if presented a decent dupe, how many oxydizer do you use? 1 or 2?
with this build 2 oxydizer seems capable of supplying lots of dupes + exosuits

I use many more, compress O² use hydrogen for energy :)

Ahh the human mind.

Indeed, the Wheezeworts are unrealistic and make no sense in this game.

I think I'll take a break and go outside in the real world. You know the place where I'm likely to see some wild Pufts and Hatches? And why not an asteroid filled with clones following prioritized tasks set by some kind of hidden mastermind?

This silliness aside, very nice setup helped me a lot :)

Maybe I am missing something, but the aquatuner seems just as unrealistic. You are putting power into the system but reducing heat instead of creating it. Do you feel it is more balanced because it takes resources to continue to operate?

26 minutes ago, Dunati said:

Maybe I am missing something, but the aquatuner seems just as unrealistic. You are putting power into the system but reducing heat instead of creating it. Do you feel it is more balanced because it takes resources to continue to operate?

You're not missing anything, but the aquatuner itself works correct from a real world perspective.  Most of these builds/designs exploit a well known calculation error called drip cooling, where tiny volumes of super cooled substance arranged in a proper manner against heated substances cause a equalization error resulting in super cold masses.

Archived