A Valentine's Day Geyser Cooler

It's Valentine's Day, and I like to make heart shaped geyser coolers in my survival games because they are very effective so why not give an instruction on how to make them in a survival game.

First you need to block the geyser so your dupes can work in safety without getting scalded.

2018-02-14.thumb.png.7d90c004f33a0f70847a9db15c40c8e6.png

Then we add the heart shaped outline and scaffolding. I use insulated tiles here because they're "prettier"

5a842e1bec015_2018-02-14(1).thumb.png.c2e69ac2b9e10dee36ea267e71580c61.png

I then add some statues to help condensing the steam

5a842f90db732_2018-02-14(2).thumb.png.0f0e3e58a89ea7a84b3adff8cff322db.png

Then we add the cooling part which is just two metal tiles, a vent, a stop valve, and an airlock. Should be fairly obvious how they are connected so I won't bore you with that. The stop valve is set to function above 100kg liquid, and the airlock is set to open at below 24C.

The stop valve is connected to a tank of pre-cooled water at 20C. which you can make by any sorts of means. You really need extremely little water to cool the about 7 tonnes of water it holds before it drops.

NB: I accidentally put the temp sensor in the wrong place. It should have been directly under the metal tiles. I moved it a bit later.

5a842fab14a85_2018-02-14(3).thumb.png.f6b6d1fc58bf14dc830f1e2ac75ea970.png

When the first bit of water starts filling up. Remove the air vents at the top.

5a84303b79478_2018-02-14(4).thumb.png.9f40abb1a72da37990553478db906d26.png

Now we just wait. It takes about 3 cycles to fill up the bottom before it starts the cooling. As you can see the structure have already cooled the water to about 65C. This is just because the building materials are cooler. The structure adds no cooling on it's own once it's up to working temperature.

The valve opens and runs for about 20 seconds or so before the water is cooled enough for the airlocks to open. So you'll use about 200kg of water at 20C to cool 7 tonnes of water at 65C.

5a84317ea39d3_2018-02-14(5).thumb.png.484ca96700b5da8be5ae58df97e93a59.png

And here's the result.

5a8431a144bb9_2018-02-14(6).thumb.png.4ed5f5f6c99a9091ff5ea1f71f1558ef.png

Happy Valentine's Day to all who have a reason to celebrate it :D

19 minutes ago, Arash70 said:

Still needs more wheezeworts :D

It takes 300kg 20C water to cool 7200kg 92C water to 21C. Now you have 7500kg 21C water of which you need to cool 300kg by one! degree to repeat the process again. To do that you can run an aquatuner for about 3 seconds every 3 cycles which means it uses about 5W on average to cool a geyser from 95C to 20C continuously.

11 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

It takes 300kg 20C water to cool 7200kg 92C water to 21C. Now you have 7500kg 21C water of which you need to cool 300kg by one! degree to repeat the process again. To do that you can run an aquatuner for about 3 seconds every 3 cycles which means it uses about 5W on average to cool a geyser from 95C to 20C continuously.

Interesting, now please make an oxygen cooler model like this.

7 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

I already did back when crude oil had no freezing point.

59df652bbac5b_BlackPink.png.6812db56d5fd

How does that cool oxygen?

And oh, water cooling's not an exploit, it's a game mechanic, if it was a bug/exploit it would have been fixed all these time (since early oni)

5 minutes ago, Lacost said:

This works because of the drip-cooling bug?

The only thing missing is to fill the room with hydrogen so it gets a pink touch. Looks are everything!

Yes. It uses the drip cooling bug. Every cooler build you will ever find that is even mildly efficient uses it to some extent.

Since it opens the bottom to the outside you can fill it with hydrogen. But most would eventually escape as it's only held in by it's own lift, so if outside pressure drops... or the inside pressure increase due to the steam geyser being there remember, it will escape little by little but it is certainly possible.

1 hour ago, Saturnus said:

Yes. It uses the drip cooling bug. Every cooler build you will ever find that is even mildly efficient uses it to some extent.

Oh now that's not true, I've a build that gives me ~6500kg over 6-7 cycles (with a cycleish cool down time). Gives me 15 degree water for around 50 bristle blossoms and doesn't use any of the surface water exploits. 

Also, you reminded me of my old heart build I made back when piping was broken and didn't change in temperature (providing it was kept flowing with a valve or whatever). Now that was an exploit that was used to probably near the same extent as this one. Remember the uproar when that bug got fixed? 

I tangent. Hearts are awesome in this game honestly. Happy valentines saturnus, you old softie. Xx

its possible to cool geyser water without bug abuse, use 6 aquatuners. If you carbon skim all your natgas generator etc. outputs you will have plenty of 40C pwater to cool the aquatuners. Of course as long as you dont consider 40C pwater output a bug ;)

On a different note your Valentines Day Geyser Cooler™ reminds me of one of my bases where I accidentally made a berry farm that looked like a big smiley face.

Point being, it would be fun to design all kinds of systems in a way so they have pretty and funny shapes, instead of the heartless (sic!) rectangles we all build.

4 minutes ago, clickrush said:

On a different note your Valentines Day Geyser Cooler™ reminds me of one of my bases where I accidentally made a berry farm that looked like a big smiley face.

Point being, it would be fun to design all kinds of systems in a way so they have pretty and funny shapes, instead of the heartless (sic!) rectangles we all build.

A long time ago I made a giant Donkey Kong out of tiles at the top of the map from a bitmap I found. Unfortunately I've lost the save.

But I've made lots of hearts, tear drops, pacman monsters, etc to lighten up the boring old square box meta.

5 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

Oh now that's not true, I've a build that gives me ~6500kg over 6-7 cycles (with a cycleish cool down time). Gives me 15 degree water for around 50 bristle blossoms and doesn't use any of the surface water exploits. 

Also, you reminded me of my old heart build I made back when piping was broken and didn't change in temperature (providing it was kept flowing with a valve or whatever). Now that was an exploit that was used to probably near the same extent as this one. Remember the uproar when that bug got fixed? 

I tangent. Hearts are awesome in this game honestly. Happy valentines saturnus, you old softie. Xx

its pure surface exploit omg i'm dying I see lots of areas where surface conductance could cause transistional state thermal shift, easily a dozen points, on second review probably not what you were talking about at the top of your post smh my bad :)

5 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

I remember these things they were so op that you could literally fill pools with oxygen.

Nice Saturnus!

7 hours ago, Arash70 said:

How does that cool oxygen?

And oh, water cooling's not an exploit, it's a game mechanic, if it was a bug/exploit it would have been fixed all these time (since early oni)

Do you mean cooling oxygen from an electrolyzer then?  Easily done with drip-cooling.  One wheezwort is more then enough to cool geyser water and cool oxygen this way.  :D  Double-drip-cooling powar!

Dripcooling1.thumb.jpg.8aa6916c6751b9b286475507552c8cb0.jpg

Dripcooling2.thumb.jpg.5ad14a4490b314c42435780877adaf60.jpg

1 hour ago, clickrush said:

You can still do that in my experience.

You can, but you didn't need to keep cooling your hydrogen once it reached like -220, you could just slap a valve in, and keep the flow going - no heat was ever lost from the radiator, and you had a free cooler forever :D It was fixed many moons back.

11 hours ago, The Flying Fox said:

Nice Saturnus!

Do you mean cooling oxygen from an electrolyzer then?  Easily done with drip-cooling.  One wheezwort is more then enough to cool geyser water and cool oxygen this way.  :D  Double-drip-cooling powar!

Dripcooling1.thumb.jpg.8aa6916c6751b9b286475507552c8cb0.jpg

Dripcooling2.thumb.jpg.5ad14a4490b314c42435780877adaf60.jpg

Showing that is one thing, making that with real dupes is another, things like that are nearly impossible to build with dupes

You can cool the water with aquatuners and cool the aquatuners with PW which you can boil afterwards to get dirt and steam. You can further cool it with freshly vaporized oxygen, coming from liquefied PO, coming from multi-stage heat exchanger with one Nullifier in the chain.

There are so many things hearts to be warmed in ONI that it would be a waste to use drip-cooling bug :)

Archived