Jump to content

Maxwell chopping vs Woodie chopping


Recommended Posts

Because of all the times I have seen people claim that Maxwell is a better logger than Woodie I took the liberty of actually finding out who is better at the task. In the video I lined up 40 in the same order for both people to emulate a tree farm as youd most likely have in your regular base and put them both to work. As anyone seeing this post will be able to see, Woodie is vastly superior at chopping the logs both in resources used and in time. I am not making this post to say one character is better than the other because I believe that they both have their pros and cons, I am only clearing up the theory that Woodie is not the best tree chopper in the game. 

Also sorry for the lack of editing in the video I didn't really feel like putting a whole lot of effort into the representation, just wanted to get the point across.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would like to see stump removal included as well as that is a major part of wood cutting missing from this video. Also adding Wilson for comparison would be good. (Albeit more work.)

Even if Woodie is the best lumberjack in the game the fact that Maxwell is even debatable for this position should be a major cause for concern. Woodie's entire identity is the lumberjack. The fact that Maxwell (the Puppet master) can come close should be a major cause for concern. 20 seconds is fairly minor and adding stump removal could be a major change for Maxwell's time. I don't think Klei will touch characters balance again but I would like to see Woodie have a much larger lead over Maxwell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Or even the time spent digging the stumps, which Maxwell would definitely do faster than Woodie since he could dig while his shadows chop. This is like making a video about which character's the best at killing Klaus, but you only show off phase 1 and you spawn him in without the deer. You're missing two very important factors here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

I would like to see stump removal included as well as that is a major part of wood cutting missing from this video. Also adding Wilson for comparison would be good. (Albeit more work.)

Even if Woodie is the best lumberjack in the game the fact that Maxwell is even debatable for this position should be a major cause for concern. Woodie's entire identity is the lumberjack. The fact that Maxwell (the Puppet master) can come close should be a major cause for concern. 20 seconds is fairly minor and adding stump removal could be a major change for Maxwell's time. I don't think Klei will touch characters balance again but I would like to see Woodie have a much larger lead over Maxwell.

stumps decay over time anyways... only with the exception of birchnut trees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When people talk about Maxwell being a better logger than Woodie, they mean that Maxwell's puppets can potentially be better than Woodie is at his own job and role, seeing as how Maxwell does not have to worry about turning into a werebeaver or worrying about a log meter. Plus, Maxwell gets a shovel shadow puppet, so he can do 2 jobs at the same time (Digging up stumps and chopping trees).

Maxwell does 2 jobs at the same time, does not have to worry about turning into anything, while Woodie seems as if he gets penalized for doing his intended role. It isn't so much about speed, but who's punished more for doing a simple task.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

maxwell can have 4 shadow loggers chopping down trees as he picks up logs and digs stumps

again, the video didn't bother showing him using a shovel as he picks up the loot from the ground, which is what makes him significantly faster than woodie

as the number of trees get larger, woodie becomes increasingly slower than maxwell because of how he can't pick up items in the process and how nightmares can interrupt him

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about collecting Nightmare Fuel for the Shadow Puppets? This takes time too. Woodie has always his axe and can turn fast into werebeaver (and turning back fast), but he can also get fast sanity back by replanting. And he has more health. Stumps aren't very time costing as Werebeaver.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

What about collecting Nightmare Fuel for the Shadow Puppets? This takes time too. Woodie has always his axe and can turn fast into werebeaver (and turning back fast), but he can also get fast sanity back by replanting. And he has more health. Stumps aren't very time costing as Werebeaver.

the showcase is about showing the max potential of the two characters in a woodchopping role, not how long it would exactly take for both of these characters to prepare resources for and chop that tree patch

also maxwell literally starts with 6 nightmare fuel and only needs 2 to make a shadow puppet so that's already not even a problem from the get go

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dreamscape18459 said:

I would like to see stump removal included as well as that is a major part of wood cutting missing from this video. Also adding Wilson for comparison would be good. (Albeit more work.)

Even if Woodie is the best lumberjack in the game the fact that Maxwell is even debatable for this position should be a major cause for concern. Woodie's entire identity is the lumberjack. The fact that Maxwell (the Puppet master) can come close should be a major cause for concern. 20 seconds is fairly minor and adding stump removal could be a major change for Maxwell's time. I don't think Klei will touch characters balance again but I would like to see Woodie have a much larger lead over Maxwell.

Wilson is a waste of time, he's just an average character, he would get blown away by both of them. In reply to the second part of your post, Maxwell came close at his fullest potential but was still beat by 20 seconds as you put it (didn't count myself, didn't feel like it), and that doesn't even take into account all the time he spent preparing getting that nightmare fuel, flint, twigs, etc. whereas Woodie just picked up his axe and started chopping.

 

4 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

This doesn't bother with time spent picking up logs from the ground.

They pick up logs at the same speed.

 

2 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

maxwell can have 4 shadow loggers chopping down trees as he picks up logs and digs stumps

again, the video didn't bother showing him using a shovel as he picks up the loot from the ground, which is what makes him significantly faster than woodie

as the number of trees get larger, woodie becomes increasingly slower than maxwell because of how he can't pick up items in the process and how nightmares can interrupt him

 

1 hour ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Ignoring the stumps just means you're losing out on potential resources. That extra log per tree really starts to add up.

 

2 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

When people talk about Maxwell being a better logger than Woodie, they mean that Maxwell's puppets can potentially be better than Woodie is at his own job and role, seeing as how Maxwell does not have to worry about turning into a werebeaver or worrying about a log meter. Plus, Maxwell gets a shovel shadow puppet, so he can do 2 jobs at the same time (Digging up stumps and chopping trees).

Maxwell does 2 jobs at the same time, does not have to worry about turning into anything, while Woodie seems as if he gets penalized for doing his intended role. It isn't so much about speed, but who's punished more for doing a simple task.

 

3 hours ago, Raspberry Milk said:

one word. Stumps.

 

4 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

Or even the time spent digging the stumps, which Maxwell would definitely do faster than Woodie since he could dig while his shadows chop. This is like making a video about which character's the best at killing Klaus, but you only show off phase 1 and you spawn him in without the deer. You're missing two very important factors here.

 

Here is your video of the same scenario with the stumps being dug up, also in reply to the few who said Maxwell should be digging while the others chop: that would be a bad idea because Maxwell is the fastest chopper of them all if you click on the tree repeatedly. But aside from that, Maxwell is the clear winner in this video by roughly 18 seconds. It is to be noted however that there was much more time put into Maxwell's side that greatly outweigh the time it took Woodie to prepare. Getting the 8 nightmare fuel, twigs and flint would've taken a lot more time than the 18 seconds that Woodie lost by not having to do any of that. The point still stands as the title of the forum was determining who was the faster tree chopper, but I went ahead and did this to entertain you all. Woodie still stands as the clear factual winner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MurkyMind said:

Are you serious?? They both pick up logs at the same speed, why does that have to be shown?

Because the Werebeaver has no inventory space and has to pick up all of the logs after all the trees have been chopped down. Maxwell saves a lot of time by picking up logs as the trees are being chopped down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnWatson said:

Because the Werebeaver has no inventory space and has to pick up all of the logs after all the trees have been chopped down. Maxwell saves a lot of time by picking up logs as the trees are being chopped down.

You saw at the end that I came out of werebeaver with a full log meter after digging up and chopping every single tree, I wouldn't have turned into a werebeaver in the process of picking up a single one of the logs/pinecones 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MurkyMind said:

You saw at the end that I came out of werebeaver with a full log meter after digging up and chopping every single tree, I wouldn't have turned into a werebeaver in the process of picking up a single one of the logs/pinecones 

You still have to pick up those logs before they are of any use to anybody.

Just now, FreyaMaluk said:

picking them up doesn't have any impact on how fast they are "chopping" them.

Again, you still have to pick up those logs before they are of any use to anybody.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnWatson said:

You still have to pick up those logs before they are of any use to anybody.

You clearly missed the point of the entire forum post, they pick up logs at the exact same speed with no interruptions, either you're trolling or you've only played the game for 10 hours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MurkyMind said:

You clearly missed the point of the entire forum post, they pick up logs at the exact same speed with no interruptions, either you're trolling or you've only played the game for 10 hours. 

I don't know why you can't understand the concept of Maxwell picking up logs and digging up stumps as his followers are chopping down trees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JohnWatson said:

I don't know why you can't understand the concept of Maxwell picking up logs and digging up stumps as his followers are chopping down trees.

Because picking things up is entirely up to the player, this post is about raw character potential, I could easily run them both through the entire field of logs and pinecones with a lazy forager and they will both collect it in 5 seconds. Or I could have 5 other people helping me pick things up, going that far off the topic leads to tons of different outcomes that nullify the entire point of the post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Literally the entire point of chopping down trees is to collect the logs from them. Stop pretending that picking up the logs doesn't matter or is a trivial thing that shouldn't be considered.

I don't remember playing the game by planting a bunch of trees then ignoring the loot on the ground, letting the logs just stay there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...