High Pressure vents require Plastic?

I started up a new game with the Automation Update and had the incredible fortune to spawn within spitting distance of a Natural Gas Geyser! Having encountered a similar bounty in the past, my immediate strategy was to rush-tech to Advanced Ventilation so I could make a high-pressure storage chamber for future use, rather than letting the geyser sit idle at a measly 5kg/tile.

To my dismay, however, the High Pressure vent now requires refined metal and plastic to build. The former of these is a fine challenge, as the Rock Granulator should definitely see some use, but the latter is perhaps too punitive... at least for my greedy ambitions.

What do you all think? Fair, or unfair?

I think that for the time being is really bad, as most of the gameplay happens before plastic.

But if things go as they should, and we have many things after plastic, for tier 2 I think it should be ok.

we´ll see how the game develops.

12 minutes ago, brummbar7 said:

Perfectly fine.  They were too easy and cheap before.

At least now they're not a no-brainer early game and players need to either adapt to using normal vents again or push through the tech tree. I humbly approve of this change.

I think it would be appropriate to remove the plastic requirement and instead balance them by making them consume power. It's a bit strange that they don't do that, not only would it make sense, but apparently they are also called "airvent_powered" in the files. You could argue that they might've decided to not make them require power after giving them that name, but even the art that was added after they were put into the game has wires around it and they've said on an art stream that they usually add those to buildings to indicate that they need power.

I don't mind the plastic cost - the pre and post plastic game is not so terribly divided. I have very succesfully rushed for a few kilos plastic in my run and used it sparringly, couple of creature traps and that's it.

However - the plastic that goes into the vent seems to be non-renewable! Every other build I built so far (except the creature trap that is very explicitely one-use-only) gives back the exact same material on deconstruct. Not so the high-pressure vent, so it seems - it refunds the metal but not the plastic.

Now that's really a bummer - I am in the mid-stage where my plastic production is set up a bit haphazardly and definetely not suited for prolonged use. My oil refinement setup is on the to-do list and I decided to give plastic a hold for awhile. Had a high-pressure vent that I used to throw stuff out of a water lock - decided to deconstruct it to use it for a different setup, and the plastic was gone. I wouldn't even mind so much if it was actually visible from the description somehow, but it is not. You can see it that the vent is built out of only "copper" as it's primary element when you select it and go to details, but I didn't think to check that before I noticed my plastic gone missing.

I wonder if this was intended or a bug of some sorts? :/

Archived