The Forge Beasts and You

BiddoBams

So, I want to take a crack at making some basic documentation and tips on the monsters you'll currently face in the Forge! Some of the information here could be subject to speculation and if you have any changes you recommend, please let me know.

Pit Pigs

Spoiler

lavaarena_boaron_basic_idle.gif.2820106c 

Targeting Priority: Medium

These are the basic minions that spawn during the early wave. Pretty easy to deal with, even with 1-2 people at a time fighting them. However focusing them down as a team will make quick work of them.

They will usually waddle over to the nearest player to do a basic attack, they will also charge towards their target from a distance to deal some somewhat decent damage.

Crocommanders formerly Crocoviles

Spoiler

lavaarena_snapper_basic_idle.gif.6e2359b

Targeting Priority: High

These dweebs are no joke. They will spawn with other minions and perform various moves to inspire and buff them. The more notable being the battle standards which can buff nearby ALL enemies defence. Take the battle standards down as soon as they appear by clicking on them. Get rid of these guys as soon as possible to make sure they don't make the current fights a hassle. Focus them down.

They can also perform a ranged spitting attack, which can pick you off from a distance. Be cautious!

Battle Standards 

Spoiler

Spawned by the Crocommanders, these standards give buffs to every enemy on the battlefield. They usually break in around 2 hits, so you'd want to focus these above all else. You can tell which and when enemies are receiving buffs because of the glowing signs below their feet. 

Defence                                                                    

cc8abbd129c9cf66619660d2b49dfa22.png 

This standard will empower the defence of all enemies on the arena, making them take considerably less damage. The Boarrior will summon these and multiple pit pigs during his battle. The defence buff appears to make enemies take 50% less damage, and it doesn't stack.

Damage                                                                    

6bcc69a937ed3bf3f4f5f5630fb3d69f.png

This standard will make enemies hit harder. Stay clear of the heavy hitters when this banner is in play.

Healing                                                                    

c65dc6f9f130b83652fd0f7f5089c900.png

This standard will heal all enemies. Take this thing down as soon as it comes up, less you want most of your work undone. Unknown if its gradual healing over time or done via chunks.

(the sprites are not exactly the ones in the game, i just whipped them together via tex files)

Snortoise formerly Tortank

Spoiler

lavaarena_turtillus_basic_idle.gif.18444

Targeting Priority: Low

Besides the silly name, these guys aint much of a threat, especially to the range classes. They will slowly meander around towards their target and do a aoe spike attack. After they take damage they can retreat into their shell to avoid all damage taken, but this phase can be skipped by using any kind of stun ability.

HOWEVER: When low on HP, these guys will do a devastating spin attack, chasing you around like mental and doing a lot of damage, even killing you if not prepared. Move in a triangle or circular formation since they will always spin towards the direction you're going. When they're in this phase, focus them down since they're a much bigger threat and lower on HP.

If they spawn along side other baddies, take these guys out last (if theres like 2), since they don't pose much of a threat when in their slow moving stage.

Scorpeon formerly Scourgion formerly Venomeer

Spoiler

lavaarena_peghook_basic_idle.gif.6e1dec6

Targeting Priority: High

Big evil horrible scorpions, -shudder-. These guys are jerks. They have quite high HP for their size and numbers but nothing a bit of focus fire cant take of.

Their attacks are simple yet devastating; they have their basic melee attack like every other however at range they can lob a poison projectile with a large splash zone that can be really hazardous. Try not to group up around these guys from a range and if you do get poisoned, get to the healing flowers ASAP, as it removes debuffs. 

Boarilla 

Spoiler

lavaarena_trails_basic_idle.gif.9353fa47

Targeting Priority: Medium

Hes big and hes angry. This guy hits like a truck, can take hits like a truck and is the size of a truck.

Their behaviour is very aggressive. They will focus down their target (usually the person who attacks them or debuffs them) by leaping at them and doing some quite strong swipes, all doing massive amounts of damage. They can be avoided with some finesse and speed boosting armour.

These guys never come alone, so make sure you have one guy kiting this guy around whilst the rest of you get rid of his minions ASAP. And when theres two? Pick one and focus it whilst someone else kites the other. Dont try to fight both. Just dont.

They will retreat into their armour after taking damage just like the Tortanks, which gives you good time to pull yourselves together. They are suspectable to sleep however can break out of the petrified state VERY fast.

Grand Forge Boarrior

Spoiler

lavaarena_boarrior_basic_idle.thumb.gif.

Targeting Priority: Dont panic! 

This is the big one, hes got two CURVED SWORDS (they look like horns hes yanked out of the head of a great beast... woa nice detail there klei) and hits like a freight train going full speed towards the glass factory.

Hes got a myriad of attacks, all that open up as the battle with him progress:

• Hes got his basic swipe attacks that hit twice, dont get your squishes caught in this
  • He can do a spin attack to damage and knock around anyone near him
  • He can also shove his doomhorns in the ground and yank them up, rending the arena in a trail of fire in his direction. Avoid this at all cost!
  • He will clang his hooks together, spawning banners and pit pigs (possibly time based) (thanks @Zeklo)

You want to make sure you fight this guy alone, so get a guy to kite him whilst the rest of you clean up his mess he brings. After that, just focus attacks on him, utilise the healing staffs sleeping aura and healing between bouts and you can topple this giant ham shank in no time.

That's all I got for now, to be honest I've only reached the Boar boy a few times, so I'm a bit patchy on some aspects. Please post your feedback and such as I'd love to tweak this! 

Huge thanks to Instant Noodles for the sprites from this post.

Todo:

• Damage values and HP values, numbers, people!
  • More info on the Boarrior
  • An assessment of tactics
  • More info on which banners do what 

I kinda disagree with Venomeer being a higher priority than Boarilla.

While Venomeer poison is dangerous they're incredibly slow. Boarilla's speed on the other hand makes them able to harass easily. If you're the last person alive against Venomeer you can drag them away and revive people-not so much the case with Boarilla.

4 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Awesome, keep up the awesome work! Thanks for this!

Thank you :)

2 hours ago, Zeklo said:

I kinda disagree with Venomeer being a higher priority than Boarilla.

While Venomeer poison is dangerous they're incredibly slow. Boarilla's speed on the other hand makes them able to harass easily. If you're the last person alive against Venomeer you can drag them away and revive people-not so much the case with Boarilla.

I put them as high priority since they're pretty easy to take down, compared to the Boarillas 10,000,000 hp. Easier to focus on the big guys with less dudes scrambling around attempting to poison you :D Ofc everything here is subject to change, as time goes on :) 

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Venomeer can be wiped out with a few strikes from infernal staff but damn the Boarilla's really bulky.I had a harder time with the Boarilla.

Good to know! But yeah, everything in this mode feels like it's bulky as heck. Hence why I put the Venomeers as high targeting priority. Sure the Boarilla is more dangerous but the Venomeers can be dispatched easily even without full focus. (I haven't had a single match so far where everyone worked together :( )

Not quite sure if it's a one time deal thing or not, but after hitting boarrior lots they clanked their sickles together and banners & pit pigs spawned. Might fall more into waves than the mob itself, but thought I'd bring it up anyway since I'm not sure.

4 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Not quite sure if it's a one time deal thing or not, but after hitting boarrior lots they clanked their sickles together and banners & pit pigs spawned. Might fall more into waves than the mob itself, but thought I'd bring it up anyway since I'm not sure.

Waves or not, that's pretty important, I'll update the op!

11 hours ago, Ashkain said:

Todo:

• More info on the Boarrior

Another thing that's pretty brutal, at very low HP (I'm assuming around 25%) he gains a combo attack that carries whoever he is hitting a decent distance backwards and it deals tremendous damage if he lands all his hits. With the best tank armor it does well more than half Wolfgangs HP.

11 hours ago, Ashkain said:

The more notable being the battle standards which can buff nearby enemies defence.

As to my experiences, not only nearby, but all enemies get buffed if there is a standard. I often had situations where we were on one side of the arena with all the mobs and a single battle standard left on the other side caused us deal much less damage.

Nice summary, well done Ashkain!

On a side note, I don't think we'll ever get exact hp values, as the files of this event seem to be quite hidden. I guess it's because this time real rewards depend on the game and that's why Klei doesn't want us to take advantage of this?

26 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I don't think we'll ever get exact hp values, as the files of this event seem to be quite hidden.

They're not hidden, they just aren't there.

Klei opted to do the server-client model wherein their servers have the files but our clients do not.

We don't get any of the AI logic, game logic, etc.  Just the bare parts needed for us to render and have things sent to the server properly for weapon events and such.

This also allows them to make any tuning and fixes as needed on their end without needing to push any patches to the Steam servers, and likewise requiring us to update as well- this requires them to still restart the servers on their end.

So is the flame uproot literally unavoidable? I was the designated "runner", and even with all speed items I couldn't get out of its range quick enough.

EDIT: Got my first Boarrior kill today! Looks like the Pit Pig summon is based on their health, and thankfully a one time thing. They'll also start charging after players followed by an attack. Luckily my team, despite being randos, were amazing with their interrupts.
EDIT: Third kill in, and I'm just now realizing he also has what looks to be a chain-combo of three attacks. Honestly kinda hard to tell when you're in the heat of battle.

thanks a lot for the info, I was wondering when the slurtoise start their spinning, and it was the one I was focus first when they appear to prevent them from spinning all at the same time. Well, how wrong I was :D

I've got to the boarrior a couple of times, but never beat it, I have always someone on the team that is lagging, or someone who leaves, or that random guy that attack both boarilla at the same time :D

So I was trying to pay extra attention to when the Battle Standards were up. The shield one seems to half incoming damage to enemies—this doesn't stack if there are two of them up. People can feel free to confirm.

59 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

So I was trying to pay extra attention to when the Battle Standards were up. The shield one seems to half incoming damage to enemies—this doesn't stack if there are two of them up. People can feel free to confirm.

Just hopped on, I can confirm this! Just need to know if the buff is always active, or only active when they have those marks under their feet (though, those marks look like teeth so they're probably tied to the damage buff) Either way, thanks for the help! 

Pit Boar - 25 dmg
Crocommanders - 40 dmg
Snortoises - 50 dmg
Scorpeon - 70 dmg
(Acid might deal like 5 on impact, 70 in DOT. Kind of hard to tell)
Boarilla - 150 dmg
Boarrior - 200 dmg

HP is gonna be a lot harder to nail. Probably gonna need a match dedicated solely to that, and even then it'll be difficult.

Archived