Duplicants should work for longer in exosuits since they have oxygen tanks with them

Right now dupes equip the exosuit and do one minor job (like dig out one or two tiles) before returning to base. This seems just outright ridiculous. Why do they have those oxygen tanks at all if they in such a freaking rush? I'd like them to stay in the exosuit area to make as much use out of the oxygen tanks as possible - only then returning to refill it. It'd be much more productive.

13 minutes ago, FR4NK said:

Use access control on doors to keep your dupes working in the correct area.

I did as you said, with the door (4.) "blocked" from leaving (2.). Although there is work to be done in the area (1.), the only thing Kahlo did was dig one tile and then he just went idle (3.).

2098391.jpeg

@Tobruk I saw the problem with the exosuits watching CrypticFox on youtube. This exact problem - all they do is a very minor, very quick chore, whatever it is, and then return immediately.

I thought that the whole point of the exosuit was to enable longer work in harsh environs. Seems to me something needs some tweaking.

1 hour ago, Tobruk said:

I did as you said, with the door (4.) "blocked" from leaving (2.). Although there is work to be done in the area (1.), the only thing Kahlo did was dig one tile and then he just went idle (3.).

2098391.jpeg

No resources to build with, is the very likely problem here. Give a dedicated deliverer or two and the others will likely work more consistently.

1 hour ago, Whispershade said:

No resources to build with, is the very likely problem here. Give a dedicated deliverer or two and the others will likely work more consistently.

He should at least dig the tile where the nearest pipe should be.

9 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

He should at least dig the tile where the nearest pipe should be.

Right now it is not working like that. They will only dig if there is material deliver to it. It can be annoying. 

Similar challenge here for me. Distributing storage lockers has helped, but even then there's the issue of making long trips to drop off a single piece of material. This problem is exacerbated when you factor in the fact that these exosuit trips are, by their nature, farther and farther away from the base . More than the environmental protection, I'd like to see a bigger backpack.

That said, I have a dedicated exo-suit team for each of my 4-6 station exosuit ports. You can also have more dupes assigned to such a port than you have suits, so that when one's taking a break, some other chump tags in. Even with the inefficiencies, you can get anything done if you throw enough bodies at it.

the simplest solution is just build stuff using materials that are available in that area.  Obviously its going to take  much longer to complete tasks if the materials they need to build a ladder are stored behind your suit checkpoint

7 hours ago, Townkill said:

the simplest solution is just build stuff using materials that are available in that area.  Obviously its going to take  much longer to complete tasks if the materials they need to build a ladder are stored behind your suit checkpoint

That'd be great if they would build a ladder, then grab the stuff they just knocked down to build the next section.  What usually happens is some other dupe is assigned the task and they run back to drop off the suit for them.

HAHA Work longer in Exosuits you ask? My dupes put theirs on the minute they wake up and wear it till the second they sleep. :D  Take a look at my pictures.

• Two exosuits per Dupe in case accidents happen
  • One pump per two docks
  • Over-pressurized room above the bedroom to ensure oxygen is always available
  • Docks are filled to 200Kg before it's night time
  • Ladders on the left in case someone needs an exosuit from another bedroom

20171008145342_1.thumb.jpg.f76432ee09db0e423e806ab6ffcd2159.jpg

• Fancy bridge pipes so my base gets oxygen before the docks
  • Gas valves for control during the earlier phase. Not really needed once rooms are over pressurized and docks filled

20171008145403_1.thumb.jpg.e83deca103202b6f0e84ff58fd4a6b83.jpg

20171008151602_1.thumb.jpg.05c4d7e335990cd0a242a26d049eb76d.jpg

@MidnightSteam I love your setup. Please add some comfy beds to make it perfection.

I tried the same thing getting dupes to live in atmo suits when out of the barracks but it didn't go very well because when they went idle they stood around emptying the suit supply. They would ditch the suit when at zero oxygen then go to bed. They got stuck in the barracks unable to pass the checkpoint. I guess I should have kept them busy or added multiple redundancies.

Latest helpful trick: Just lock the poor bastards outside.

I got a few dedicated "exonauts" and set their doors to one-way. I check back every now and again and let them in when their oxygen is getting critical. Works like a charm, but it's an awful lot of micromanagement...

16 minutes ago, LeadfootSlim said:

Latest helpful trick: Just lock the poor bastards outside.

I got a few dedicated "exonauts" and set their doors to one-way. I check back every now and again and let them in when their oxygen is getting critical. Works like a charm, but it's an awful lot of micromanagement...

You could also make a camp of suits with multiple suits per dupe after locking them out with beds, fridge and lav so that their only jobs are outside and just have someone ferry food to their fridge.

I think the reason they run back to base so often is because the suit doesn't prevent the Grimy debuff which sends the dupes running for the nearest shower the moment they get dirty.  I had to lock any dupe using an exosuit out of the bathrooms before they'd do any meaningful work.  Or at least that's what I experienced in the Oil Upgrade open beta branch.

Archived