Petition to bring back the Old Bell

Should Old-bell be "revived"?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Add Old Bell back to DST?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Yeah...Speak for yourself.

I sometimes log in as Wickerbottom, so I can spawn Tentacles on people's bases.

I get that this is entertainment for yourself and that's probably about all you care for, but this seems to have little to do with any justification to add the Old Bell. Unless this is a private server with your friends and you were just all goofing around, you should definitely be banned from this server by active admins for griefing (there probably weren't any RIP). Along with watched out for on other servers.

You're providing a classic example of how much people will have to deal with players like you by adding the Old Bell. Luckily with tentacles you're easier to trace since you stood in base in-front of people and additionally took a proud photo collection. The more controllable alternative to the Old Bell was already added to DST, likely with players like you in mind. There is no reason to add the Old Bell considering all of this.

Seems like a pretty obvious decision to me.

Just now, Cheetos said:

I get that this is entertainment for yourself and that's probably about all you care for, but this seems to have little to do with any justification to add the Old Bell. Unless this is a private server with your friends and you were just all goofing around, you should definitely be banned from this server by active admins for griefing (there probably weren't any RIP). Along with watched out for on other servers.

You're providing a classic example of how much people will have to deal with players like you by adding the Old Bell. Luckily with tentacles you're easier to trace since you stood in base in-front of people and additionally took a proud photo collection. The more controllable alternative to the Old Bell was already added to DST, likely with players like you in mind. There is no reason to add the Old Bell considering all of this.

Seems like a pretty obvious decision to me.

I'm pro-choice. That's all.

I mainly want this feature for when I play the game on a private server in a single-player fashion.

Would I use it for grieffing? Sure. Just like I would use tentacles, or torches, or bosses or any other element of the game. If I wish to do that however, I will run the risk of getting banned. 

The reality is this, nobody, NOBODY, should be playing on a public server and get angry if their base gets burnt to the ground. Make a password, it's not that difficult. 

4 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

What I will say in your defence is this.

If a player finds an Oldbell or has the resources to build it, they are more encouraged to grieff because of its uniqueness. 

However, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option for people. Maybe have it set off by default. There are many players who play this game in a singleplayer form and rebalances like this are really annoying for us. There's also many multiplayer users that would want this feature. 

You have no idea what you are talking about. This is a multiplayer game that is designed for cooperation to survive the wilderness with friends, not for the foolishness you are spreading. You as many other griefers have no place in the forums to discuss your gaze for destruction spreading. I wish you to stop arguing and stop trying to "prove" something to me about destruction that we all know it's just dumb.

8 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I'm pro-choice. That's all.

I mainly want this feature for when I play the game on a private server in a single-player fashion.

Would I use it for grieffing? Sure. Just like I would use tentacles, or torches, or bosses or any other element of the game. If I wish to do that however, I will run the risk of getting banned. 

The reality is this, nobody, NOBODY, should be playing on a public server and get angry if their base gets burnt to the ground. Make a password, it's not that difficult. 

@ImDaMisterL he is doing it again and not even bothing about the warnings. Sorry to bother again :T

1 minute ago, Mantas said:

This is a multiplayer game that is designed for cooperation to survive the wilderness with friends

ca0.gif

There are many, MANY players that use this game in a singleplayer fashion. THIS GAME WAS BUILT ON THAT. For you to dismiss us like nothing, shows me that you have no idea what you are talking about and it's self righteousness people like you that annoys the hell out of me.

DST should include everyone. End of story. 

Ignoring the first part of your statement so I can pretend you don't actually advocate griefing openly as your playstyle (I'll try to have some faith here).

1 minute ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

You're presenting the exact same argument as people who have been telling you to turn the Old Bell on via the already created mod, which is coincidentally also not that difficult right? You're flipping a switch on with someone else's work. Your logic is very easily used against you.

There is already an alternative to the Old Bell in the core DST game, additionally someone has already coded the original item back into the game for you to have at any time you want to turn the mod on. Rather than Klei spend time on something that affects the core game, why don't you just turn it on your own server and leave all the public servers alone. Seems like the obvious choice to me : )

4 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

Ignoring the first part of your statement so I can pretend you don't actually advocate griefing openly as your playstyle (I'll try to have some faith here).

You're presenting the exact same argument as people who have been telling you to turn the Old Bell on via the already created mod, which is coincidentally also not that difficult right? You're flipping a switch on with someone else's work. Your logic is very easily used against you.

There is already an alternative to the Old Bell in the core DST game, additionally someone has already coded the original item back into the game for you to have at any time you want to turn the mod on. Rather than Klei spend time on something that affects the core game, why don't you just turn it on your own server and leave all the public servers alone. Seems like the obvious choice to me : )

It's completely different thing because what I'm talking about is supported by the game. 

Here's the problem with mods...They get abandoned. Simple. 

That's why people rather it was placed into the game. So stop with the "just use a mod" excuses. 

• Developer
4 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

There are many, MANY players that use this game in a singleplayer fashion. THIS GAME WAS BUILT ON THAT.

It was built on it, but evolved and transformed into something much different, for multiplayer. Do you destroy your own base in singleplayer for fun? People in public servers seek to build new friendships and meet new people, not to be griefed and lose their hard work.

If you want it to be used in a singleplayer way, simply play alone. There's no need to grief another's projects, no matter your playstyle.

3 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I'm not promoting grieffing. I am simply stating how the game is being played currently. 

You are stating how you play it, and the way you play it can be and is considered griefing.

Everyone, keep discussions civil and polite. The moment posts start being more about someone and not the original matter to be discussed, the thread usually goes downhill and has to be locked. This is a warning.

6 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

If you want it to be used in a singleplayer way, simply play alone. There's no need to grief another's projects, no matter your playstyle.

fd1TSJqq3b4GI.gif

I do play alone on a private server... What are you on about?

The problem is that I can't use the Oldbell, like the good singleplayer experience, because people are too afraid to use Private servers apparently.

I'm just saying, choice would be nice

• Developer
2 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I do play alone on a private server... What are you on about?

I am talking about your behavior in multiplayer servers.

I am completely fine with the bell being added, but you said you would use it to grief if it was added, and that's one of the reasons Klei fears to add it. Wickerbottom's tentacles are bad, yes, but they can't destroy a base the way the bell can.

"griefing" is such a blanket term honestly. Anyone who doesn't get their way can cry grief, even though they chose to play online with randoms rather than a private session with friends. Its kinda silly to have concrete rules based on such an abstract concept. Wickerbottoms tentacles shouldn't hurt people when pvp is off. Hammer/old bell shouldn't work on other players structures.

If they do, well that's the devs fault. Players who paid their 25 bucks are entitled to play the way they want, if no hacks or glitches are being exploited. There's a ban feature for a reason. And on ps4 at least, game closes when host logs out. We have rollbacks. Holding back content because Klei thinks some people can't "play nice" is just silly. As if we have to! Now cheaters, let em rot, ban, w/e. But people using ingame mechanics, to cause ingame chaos? Thats not something that needs policing. Thats a dangerously SJW mentality.

BRING ON THE OLD BELL!!

22 minutes ago, Cheetos said:

You ignore a sizable fraction of the community when you suggest mods as a solution, and he already advocated having it off public servers

14 minutes ago, spiderdian said:

What if I told you....I forgot it was even a thing? And I used to spend all day reading the wikia.

Giving such game-ending power to some people that can break at any point of a long run is the worst deal you could make.

What if I told you that the first part of your argument isn't even an argument at all?

And when a griefer can destroy a base with a torch and hammer on their first day then your second argument doesn't really hold a lot of weight either

3 hours ago, spiderdian said:

What if I told you....I forgot it was even a thing? And I used to spend all day reading the wikia.

Giving such game-ending power to some people that can break at any point of a long run is the worst deal you could make.

Also know one from what i've read has really explained the damage it can do to others only being used once.

As far as I know Bigfoot from the origin of ringing will walk  the entire map to the other side in a horizontal motion. You don't have to really be near the point of origin to really get hit by it you just have to be across from it so it could hurt a lot of other players bases just because they were across the bell's origin ringing point. You don't even have to be the target of the grief just to have a giant foot smack your base down and you did nothing wrong or weren't even there.

My answer is it should not be brought back. I have my own reasons that I will not delve into.

I will not say anything else because then I will be joining not a poll, not even a debate, a war.

This supposed "poll" is just a trade of foolish responses based on trying to make the ones who say otherwise angry.

So get your act together, try and discuss the implementation of the Old Bell into DST without offending others.

3 hours ago, Josonic said:

And when a griefer can destroy a base with a torch and hammer on their first day then your second argument doesn't really hold a lot of weight either

That wasn't his point someone could just have a fit of rage and have the old bell and boom everyone suffers whether they are a greifer or not.

Archived