Surface eartquakes?

Hello, I was playing with a friend and something that we had never seen before occurred. We were at the base, there was a loud noise and the ground started breaking (Screenshots below), when one attemps to walk over this broken terrain the character walks very slowly and with an animation that seens like hes being carefull. This phenomena occured twice (the second time like 2 ingame days after the first), each time at the base and left like 4-6 circles of bloken terrain per occurrence. I have several questions, why did this happend? is there a way to avoid it? can you fix the terrain? are we doomed?

I tried to find information elsewhere but to no avail. English is not my main lenguage, any correction is welcome.

20170310002341_1.jpg

20170310002343_1.jpg

20170310002354_1.jpg

STUPID ANTLION.  So.  annoying.  Basically it's mad at you for no reason, even if you've never physically laid _eyes_ on the thing--yes, really--and wrecks the ground (and if you're not careful, you) every few days for doing absolutely nothing.  Selfish psychotic needy brat that basically gives you a freaking _babysitting_ chore every summer.  Whee.  (When people said they wanted some non-optional content, and for summer to be more interesting...I'm pretty sure they didn't mean THIS!)

Good news is: The sinkholes will heal.  I don't know how long it takes, but apparently it can happen even when you're on-screen, which I kinda want to see now.  (I'm imagining the pieces of ground going bwooooop! back together, like the T-1000 or something.  With dirt.) 

The bad news is, you're gonna have to put up with his/her off-their-meds ass (or whatever the butt-analogue would be for a half-lion, half-insect creature) for the entire rest of the summer--and every summer for as long as this world exists--barring console commands that might not even exist/work.  OY.  No, going into the caves doesn't work--the "wily" Antlion just drops BOULDERS on you from the ceiling instead down there!  

OR, start a battle with it.  Haven't done the battle yet myself, so I couldn't tell ya how difficult it is...or how long it stays dead.

Tip:  Next time any character says something about the ground shaking, EVERYBODY OUT OF CAMP!  Run to a piece of ground you don't care about as much.  : P  And just in case, put on your armour.  It's possible to dodge the sinkholes but if one DOES open up right under your feet, they sting.  A lot.  (And I always seem to dodge all of them but ONE; it's kinda maddening.)

...Notorious

The battle is quite entertaining: after freezing upon eating a frozen thermal stone, the antlion will try to trap you in a circle of sand castles, then spawn stalagmites (what the heck... ah; DST logic). You need to dodge them (a stalagmite up your rear is nothing fun, Willow checked) and land hits on the antlion. Wash, rinse, repeat. Ah, possibly call it names as you do. Really. Do it.

6 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Tip:  Next time any character says something about the ground shaking, EVERYBODY OUT OF CAMP!  Run to a piece of ground you don't care about as much.  : P

Do as CaptainChaotica says. It's good advice ;)

I would also suggest running near the trees. So when the Antlion shatters the ground, You can collect free logs from the ground.

2 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

It's the new unnecessary deterrent to basebuilding. Because no fun allowed.

But with a firestaff or even a torch you can turn the antlion's defensive sand castles into lovely glass castles, so this also brings a new base decoration option, although getting them back to base does require a beefalo. 

I have to add that for summer cavers, the boulders are pretty easy  to avoid and can be mined for rocks.

3 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

I have to add that for summer cavers, the boulders are pretty easy  to avoid and can be mined for rocks.

On top of that, you can use those boulders to block off areas to trap enemy mobs or prevent them from getting them to a curtain location.

Just more of a reason to base in the caves if you are not ready to take on the Antlion. 

The only good thing i've found the antlion for so far is it spawns rocks that can be moved around underground to create some neat indestructible walls. Now, a rook can plow right through them and drop tons of rocks as well so it's only useful for this IMO. Other than that, just like at its release I still see the antlion as just an annoying chore for an already super boring season.

3 hours ago, Zeruul said:

I'm kinda surprised when people complain a lot about Antlion, yet non complain about SW Volcano, which is technically similar...

They did 
and remember EVERYTHING SHIPWRECK IS BAD so say the community

I don't mine the antilion you can kill it and it adds tenison to an overall boring season say for fire hounds

Also I build small bases so I'm not annoyed by the antilion.

This very topic may be a prime example of how the earthquakes that the antlion makes are very much flawed:

Without asking or checking through the wiki, how would you ever be able to find out that it's Antlion that is making this stuff happen? And how would you ever find out that you need to feed the lion cutstone, let alone trinkets to appease? There is no indication of any sorts in the game whatsoever that even hints you of this happening.

May be if the Antlion was more mobile/dynamic and actually had movement/digging animations, similar to that of the depth worms, then the players who just use the game itself to teach them what is what and such would be able to better identify what the threat is and deal with it... how they find out how to deal with it, I don't have an idea for, but I'm sure devs or others here can cook up some good indicators, which hopefully aren't lore-breaking or that simply don't make sense (e.g. if player characters said "The Antlion from the desert is getting pretty angry" when the characters might not actually know what the heck an antlion is).

On a side note, the same could be said about the Antlion's fight; it just doesn't feel right for it to be so goddamn static! Let it move around to some level.

16 minutes ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

This very topic may be a prime example of how the earthquakes that the antlion makes are very much flawed:

Without asking or checking through the wiki, how would you ever be able to find out that it's Antlion that is making this stuff happen? And how would you ever find out that you need to feed the lion cutstone, let alone trinkets to appease? There is no indication of any sorts in the game whatsoever that even hints you of this happening.

May be if the Antlion was more mobile/dynamic and actually had movement/digging animations, similar to that of the depth worms, then the players who just use the game itself to teach them what is what and such would be able to better identify what the threat is and deal with it... how they find out how to deal with it, I don't have an idea for, but I'm sure devs or others here can cook up some good indicators, which hopefully aren't lore-breaking or that simply don't make sense (e.g. if player characters said "The Antlion from the desert is getting pretty angry" when the characters might not actually know what the heck an antlion is).

On a side note, the same could be said about the Antlion's fight; it just doesn't feel right for it to be so goddamn static! Let it move around to some level.

I should share my reaction to the first earthquake... but it would be too graphic for the forums. Want funsies? Ask for it in a PM.

Besides I'm all up for mobile antlions. Depth worms burrow, moleworms do, why not the antlion?

1 hour ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

You can feed it rocks too.

3 hours ago, EuedeAdodooedoe said:

I agree, I always try to avoid checking for any kind of game-related information online, I like to figured things on my own, its always more satisfiying when you finally figure it out after some attempts (like burning trees to get charcoal). I dont object the Antilion per se, but I do object to the fact that it seems almost imposible to know about this mechanic without reading some pacht notes or the wiki. Also, the mechanic is very punishing considering the lack of in-game information about it, maybe more clues would solve the issue, like more characters dialogues.

7 hours ago, Zeruul said:

I'm kinda surprised when people complain a lot about Antlion, yet non complain about SW Volcano, which is technically similar...

With the volcano you can just wait for the second rumble, hop on your boat, dodge the eggs, and go back to whatever you were doing.
With the antlion? You have to regularly go to the desert and sacrifice lambs in her name, or else the ground will just sink below you and make that spot unusable for 20 days.
There's a big difference between the two.

9 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Hin

Reveal hidden contents

KILL THE BUGGER CALLED THE ANTLION WITH <insert equipment of torture of choice>!!!

I mostly disliked the Antlion before it was killable. Now, just kill the thing every summer or go underground for the free boulders.

Archived