Skin Mod

There are mods for everything, from new characters and craftable items to changing background music, but I didn't find any mod for skins.
I love the skin system, and there are many I cant wait to have and wear, but i have many other idea for those to create. I would draw my own skins if it would possible by a mod, but I don't find any tutorial for this. Is it even possible or anything? It would be oke if I could only replace an existing skin file to a handmade one (which I drew), or any other solution is acceptable.
I'd like to draw clothes to Don't Starve Together characters (especially for WX-78), and make them wear in my server while I play. Can anybody help me, or give me some advice to begin?

Edited by GaborToth

I have good news and bad news!

Good News:
There IS a way to make skins! I've made a mod API that supports this and will be released sometime later this month! ;)

Bad News:
It is ONLY for modded items and the headslot for mod characters... Klei does not want anyone to make clothing or skins for official characters/items. For now at least... Sorry :/

Edited by Fidooop

31 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

Good News:
There IS a way to make skins! I've made a mod API that supports this and will be released sometime later this month! ;)

Bad New:
It is ONLY for modded items and the headslot for mod characters... Klei does not want anyone to make clothing or skins for official characters/items. For now at least... Sorry :/

I don't mean to butt in, but when you say headslot for mod characters do you mean we can create new "heads" (not GoH, etc.) with our own custom "sets" for modded characters?

• Developer
1 minute ago, DarkKingBoo said:

I don't mean to butt in, but when you say headslot for mod characters do you mean we can create new "heads" (not GoH, etc.) with our own custom "sets" for modded characters?

Yes, the head should contain the entire char skin, kinda like the event halloween costumes.

48 minutes ago, Fidooop said:

Good News:

Bad New:

So u say,if I "make" a character mod, which contains new characters identical to the original ones the game will consider them as a character mod and I can make the skin as u did.
To be concrete, I use up WX-78 files to make a new character mod, and the only change I do is changing its name, and after the installation it will appear as a plus character with the name: e.g. WX-79. In this way, WX-79 will have the same pro and contras like WX-78, but now I can make headslot skin mods freely just the way u did?

Edited by GaborToth

• Developer
2 minutes ago, GaborToth said:

So u say,if I "make" a character mod, which contains new characters identical to the original ones the game will consider them as a character mod and I can make the skin as u did.

No, that would not be allowed. Only original characters get to have skins, characters that belong to Klei aren't allowed to.

12 minutes ago, ImDaMisterL said:

No, that would not be allowed. Only original characters get to have skins, characters that belong to Klei aren't allowed to.

To Darkking u said it is possible, now u say it is not... :S
I dont understand

Edited by GaborToth

4 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

He was talking about modded characters, not using Klei characters to make unofficial skins of them.

And he was talking about modding the official characters to be a little different but not the official characters to make unofficial skins of them.

TLDR: A name does not make a character an original character.

1 hour ago, Lokoluna said:

And he was talking about modding the official characters to be a little different but not the official characters to make unofficial skins of them.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but you should probably re-read what was stated.

6 hours ago, GaborToth said:

To be concrete, I use up WX-78 files to make a new character mod, and the only change I do is changing its name, and after the installation it will appear as a plus character with the name: e.g. WX-79. In this way, WX-79 will have the same pro and contras like WX-78, but now I can make headslot skin mods freely just the way u did?

Specifically the bold italic portion of the quote. This is not considered an original character, it is considered a modification of an official character which falls under the 'official' character clause which @Fidooop stated. Now if @GaborToth were to create brand new artwork it could become an original character even if they used all of WX-78's abilities.

It's my understanding is Klei doesn't care if you are creating your own original characters with their own original skins. However, what they do not want is for you to modify an official character by changing only the name and then creating mod skins for them.

Edited by Kzisor

8 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

So the thing is that. Practically it's doable, ethically it isn't.
Am I right?

9 hours ago, Fidooop said:

Good News:

Fidooop, do u have any tutorials for this two things? Character creation and skin modding for this character mod, pls?

10 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

He was talking about modded characters, not using Klei characters to make unofficial skins of them.

This is probably a dumb question, but do offical DST mobs that are made playable fall under this rule as well? Or does it only count the original playable characters?

• Developer
7 hours ago, GaborToth said:

So the thing is that. Practically it's doable, ethically it isn't.
Am I right?

Correct.

5 hours ago, DarkKingBoo said:

This is probably a dumb question, but do offical DST mobs that are made playable fall under this rule as well? Or does it only count the original playable characters?

I believe so. Anything originally made by Klei shouldn't be skinned.

1 hour ago, Arlesienne said:

Ho there, if skins for customs are like the costumes - head and body - can we still put official clothes on them afterwards?

Of course! It'll just cover their costume :p

Just now, ImDaMisterL said:

Correct.

I believe so. Anything originally made by Klei shouldn't be skinned.

Of course! It'll just cover their costume :p

This is marvellous news! Ever got that great character mod and wanted a little cosmetic change, given the author is your friend?

49 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

Hey guys, how do you like my OC (Original Character) called Wilsom The Gentleman Scholar?

wilsom.jpg

I'm sure I will make some real good skins for him!

---

Nah, I'm not going with this 'joke'.

Why is he not wearing any pants? Keep it rated PG man!

1 hour ago, ImDaMisterL said:

This content is not proper for children, I'm sorry but I'll be forced to hide, lock, report, warn and IP ban you.

I've gotta take the joke too far before I get banned!

Spoiler

wilsome_threesome.jpg

Spoiler

40 minutes ago, PanAzej said:

I've gotta take the joke too far before I get banned!

Reveal hidden contents

wilsome_threesome.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Screw Rose skins! I want to see "The Joke That Went Too Far" skins! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

What you're about to see... I'm seriously honestly just kidding.... :p

Spoiler

rosewilsom.png