Has Woodie Revealed His "Terrible Secret"?

What do you all think? I had kind of assumed so, but do you think he has kept his secret a secret? Or do you think the others all know and are totally fine with his werebeaverness? They all seem to be aware of (and strangely accepting) of a sentient talking axe, so maybe them accepting a monstrous beaver isn't too much of a stretch. Unless they are just humoring Woodie, but considering they can read Lucy's text when picking her up I doubt that.

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Personally, I kind of think the idea of him keeping it a secret sounds interesting, but for all I know some of their strings might directly mention the beaver. Plus it would be kind of hard for them to not notice him literally eating trees . . . 

(also, I know that gameplay-wise they could all have seen him transform, but I'm asking about canonically, not gameplay-wise)

I assume they all saw him transform into a monster, and constantly see him talk about stuff with his axe...

They probably keep it all a secret and don't want to talk about it ever again, just to avoid his creepy smile.

"Hey Buddy... what you saw... let's keep it a secret, eh?" *blink*

don_t_starve_trailer_woodie_by_fellshaw-d8903b9.jpg

At first, I, along with everyone else, assumed that Woodie's 'Terrible Secret' was the werebeaver.

But what if it isn't referring to the werebeaver?

Just take a look at Woodie's seducing smile... maybe his 'terrible secret' is something else... something we could never have expected...

Paedophilia?  Jk... but, you never know...

1 hour ago, Mudley said:

"He pinky-promised I'd get to ride on his shoulders next time. Such lies." ~ Wendy as she examines the werebeaver.

There's those dialogue lines I thought I was missing :p 

On another note though, who else thinks that it would be awesome to be able to build a saddle for the Werebeaver? Ride that glorious rodent man into even more glorious combat . . . 

6 hours ago, Mudley said:

"He pinky-promised I'd get to ride on his shoulders next time. Such lies." ~ Wendy as she examines the werebeaver.

It's interesting, but it seems Woody didn't tell his secret (assuming that it is his beaverness) to others, or just not to everyone. Wckerbottom says: "Poor dear never mentioned he was afflicted by Castorthropy." This could mean that he tried to keep his secret, but the librarian and/or others have found him before he could transform back.

5 hours ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

There's those dialogue lines I thought I was missing :p 

On another note though, who else thinks that it would be awesome to be able to build a saddle for the Werebeaver? Ride that glorious rodent man into even more glorious combat . . . 

I think this is a brilliant idea! Woody in beaver form would be more than useful in DST, and not only for chopping trees.

9 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I think this is a brilliant idea! Woody in beaver form would be more than useful in DST, and not only for chopping trees.

It would be amusing, but no, it wouldn't be useful. Well, not unless you want to farm nightmare fuel and you're too lazy to kite Them by yourself.

7 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

It would be amusing, but no, it wouldn't be useful. Well, not unless you want to farm nightmare fuel and you're too lazy to kite Them by yourself.

Well, now that I think of it, riding the Beaver wouldn't be that useful (like riding a beefalo), the only advantages would be that you can attack while moving and a constantly increased speed. But it'd be fun and a real cooperation challenge.

Blasphemy! Just the sight of Willow on the back of the mighty beaver brandishing her warlighter, with Bernie punching an occasional crawling horror away, would be the last thing these pesky treeguards would see! Kill them! Kill them with fire! And stuffed animal toys! And lascivious Canadian smirks!

Oh god, the mental image.

That's even better than the one Let's Play I saw where they met the Deerclops for the first time, realised that he's the game built-in bully, and ended up loudly singing "I CAME IN LIKE A DEEEER-CLOOPS!" Which then became:  "That music video would be so much cooler if Miley Cyrus came in naked riding on Deerclops's shoulders, don't you think?"  "Oh my god, I NEED this in my life."

:D  Your mental image is similar to that, except Miley wasn't causing BLAZING DESTRUCTION all around her with a lighter on top of the Deerclops's stomping.  And, no Canadian smirks.  (That we know of.) 

However, we can all agree that most music videos could be improved with the addition of a giant or two.

...Notorious

33 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Oh god, the mental image.

That's even better than the one Let's Play I saw where they met the Deerclops for the first time, realised that he's the game built-in bully, and ended up loudly singing "I CAME IN LIKE A DEEEER-CLOOPS!" Which then became:  "That music video would be so much cooler if Miley Cyrus came in naked riding on Deerclops's shoulders, don't you think?"  "Oh my god, I NEED this in my life."

:D  Your mental image is similar to that, except Miley wasn't causing BLAZING DESTRUCTION all around her with a lighter on top of the Deerclops's stomping.  And, no Canadian smirks.  (That we know of.) 

However, we can all agree that most music videos could be improved with the addition of a giant or two.

...Notorious

Uh... Is this disturbing image directed at me? I'm confused.

8 hours ago, fimmatek said:

It's interesting, but it seems Woody didn't tell his secret (assuming that it is his beaverness) to others, or just not to everyone. Wckerbottom says: "Poor dear never mentioned he was afflicted by Castorthropy." This could mean that he tried to keep his secret, but the librarian and/or others have found him before he could transform back.

More brilliant use of dialogue! I wouldn't know these, because I'm the only Woodie in my group (no complaints here). I guess you're right though. Although I sooooo wish I could see them all react the first time he turned :p 

No, not _directed_ at you...your mental image of Willow riding in on the back of the giant beaver, causing destruction all around her, _reminded_ me of the other one.

And it wasn't really disturbing--the way they described it in the Let's Play video was more silly and ridiculous.  The Deerclops is the "wrecking ball" of Don't Starve, Miley Cyrus came in like a wrecking ball...that's all it was.  One random thought led to another and we ended up with total silliness.

It was _funny_ in context...really...I've told other people about this and they cracked up too, so it isn't just me.

(I'd hate to think I'm starting to get the reputation of being The Creepy Disturbing One with you, Arlesienne.  I'm NOT, really.  I just watch the occasional weird thing out of morbid curiosity. The thing that the above mental image came from was _a Don't Starve Together Let's Play_, though.)

...Notorious

On the topic of Woodie, the other characters can hear Lucy talk, correct? I know Webber will say "Hi Woodie, Hi Lucy!" but I'm not sure if he actually sees Lucy as a person or is just playing along with Woodie's "game".

3 minutes ago, Fork said:

On the topic of Woodie, the other characters can hear Lucy talk, correct? I know Webber will say "Hi Woodie, Hi Lucy!" but I'm not sure if he actually sees Lucy as a person or is just playing along with Woodie's "game".

If you try to pick up Lucy, then yes, she talks to other characters.

1 hour ago, Fork said:

They can see her talk, but only if they try to pick her up. When she's talking in general the other's don't seem to hear her. I'm not sure if this is for any lore reason, or if it's just so that the others don't have to constantly listen to Lucy talk about trees. Most of them do acknowledge her though. Personally, I see Lucy as Woodie's "better half". He apparently comes off as gruff, but she kind of eases him into being more open/willing to participate others. For example, when Woodie examines Maxwell's ghost, he'll say "Come on ___, Lucy says I have to help you". (Personally, I think that line plays into my old theory on who Lucy is, but maybe that's just me :p

Don't Starve Together basically answers a couple of the questions I had before it came out, simply by the virtue of it _being_ "Together":

1.  Can other characters hear Woodie's axe talking? and

2.  Can other characters see your insanity shadow creatures?

The answer to both is apparently "yes", (although "only under certain circumstances" with Lucy) so that answers the underlying question:  Are those things real, or just the character's imagination? 

The fact that other characters can hear Lucy _at all_ shows that yes, she really can talk...or send words directly into your brain...or whatever, but she'd really rather not talk to anybody but Woodie unless absolutely necessary.  But, they CAN hear her.  Even if it's only brief, it's definitely there.

Together is both kinda awesome and confusing for fans of the lore.  : P

(Although, you don't really needTogether to tell you the shadow creatures are real.  Just go down to the caves and you'll see things just like them that can appear _regardless of your sanity_.  It was in Together, however, that I first saw spiders freaking out when "my" Crawling Horror walked over their web...and I was a ghost at the time and nowhere near it.  OoooOOOOOooo...!)

...Notorious

"I, uh...have a fiber deficiency.  Yeah.  A big one."

Seriously, the world of Don't Starve may be weird, but I think the other characters would still notice _that_!  Especially since he's (mostly?) human and not a weird creature.  Now, if Webber started chowing down on poison, hairy monster meat or WX ran around _trying_ to get hit by lightning during a thunderstorm, that'd be a bit more understandable.  But a human eating trees...? That'd raise an eyebrow.

...Notorious

Archived