Has Woodie Revealed His "Terrible Secret"?

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

"I, uh...have a fiber deficiency.  Yeah.  A big one."

On the bright side, if he ever escapes the DS world, Woodie has future explaining in radio informercials how his new patented diet defeated slow transit problems.

Maybe that was his terrible secret to begin with...

On 12/04/2016 at 0:12 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

"I, uh...have a fiber deficiency.  Yeah.  A big one."

Seriously, the world of Don't Starve may be weird, but I think the other characters would still notice _that_!  Especially since he's (mostly?) human and not a weird creature.  Now, if Webber started chowing down on poison, hairy monster meat or WX ran around _trying_ to get hit by lightning during a thunderstorm, that'd be a bit more understandable.  But a human eating trees...? That'd raise an eyebrow.

...Notorious

I can provide tangible proof (logs) that Wigfrid finds Webber eating monster lasagna amazingly funny. WX and lightning? This soulful automaton has his Platonic Life Partner charge him. Never leave important stuff to chance!

On 12/04/2016 at 1:22 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

On the bright side, if he ever escapes the DS world, Woodie has future explaining in radio informercials how his new patented diet defeated slow transit problems.

Maybe that was his terrible secret to begin with...

Yes, that must have been it.

Or these creepy bunnymen following him. "What do you do to have such amazing teeth, human?".

On 12/03/2016 at 5:56 PM, CaptainChaotica said:

No, not _directed_ at you...your mental image of Willow riding in on the back of the giant beaver, causing destruction all around her, _reminded_ me of the other one.

And it wasn't really disturbing--the way they described it in the Let's Play video was more silly and ridiculous.  The Deerclops is the "wrecking ball" of Don't Starve, Miley Cyrus came in like a wrecking ball...that's all it was.  One random thought led to another and we ended up with total silliness.

It was _funny_ in context...really...I've told other people about this and they cracked up too, so it isn't just me.

(I'd hate to think I'm starting to get the reputation of being The Creepy Disturbing One with you, Arlesienne.  I'm NOT, really.  I just watch the occasional weird thing out of morbid curiosity. The thing that the above mental image came from was _a Don't Starve Together Let's Play_, though.)

...Notorious

Who's Miley Cyrus and what do wrecking balls have to do with the bromance of Willow and Woodie?

Maybe I should go out more.

Don't worry, I'm not offended or anything, it's just me finding the concept of a naked person riding somebody else disturbing and you happened to mention it. Me not getting most let's plays is common knowledge too. So... thanks, I guess? Really, it's a really odd thing here. I can pretend it didn't happen if you want ;).

Aha!  I keep forgetting that not everybody has heard to death about the same pop culture things that we're now totally sick of.

Miley Cyrus is a former Disney-channel princess (and daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus, who had a big hit (in America) in the early '90s with "Achy Breaky Heart", a country song that broke through onto the mainstream charts and kinda started the line-dancing craze, but that's not relevant right now) who played the insanely-popular kid idol character "Hannah Montana" for years.

Then she started her own singing career, and wanted to break away from her "cutesy kiddie" image and show "I'm a grown-up now, dammit!"  So she did what many others in that situation have done and OVERREACTED BY A THOUSAND MILES--showing how "grown-up" she is by being as blatantly "look how SHOCKING I am!" sexual as possible...and thereby actually coming across really juvenille.

Part of this whole...mess involved the video for her song "Wrecking Ball", in the video for which, she rides in on a wrecking ball--naked, for the omg! gasp! (but you can't actually see anything YouTube would make you censor out, because it's all shown from the side and her arms and legs are in the way) and contains the line "I CAME IN LIKE A WRECK-ING BAAALLLL..." and she like, symbolically smashes down the wall of the bad relationship or something I don't know, I don't really care about that song. I only know it because it was everywhere for a while.

...which is what the Deerclops does (is a living wrecking-ball, that is)...

...hence the random joke that...the Let's Players whose names I can't _quite_ remember (AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY ARGH) made, which was, I promise you, funny in context.  Lots of people were quoting that one exact line in the comments for that video.  It's not so much somebody naked riding somebody.  It's about how a stupid video might be improved if the little brat came in on the back of a badass giant instead, and she just _happens_ to be naked because that's how the original video was.

The Moral of The Story:  I should never, ever, EVER just assume that all American pop culture has escaped and gotten loose in other countries.  SOMEtimes it does, but you can never just assume. 

And any references that require multiple layers of back-explanation to even _try_ to make them as funny to the other person as they were to you?  No go.  Especially on an Internet forum where you can't see facial expressions or hear voice tones.   Basically...this is what I get for saying something I thought was funny just because _I_ wanted to, without making sure it would make any SENSE to others first.  :(

...Notorious

2 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Aha!  I keep forgetting that not everybody has heard to death about the same pop culture things that they're now totally sick of.

Miley Cyrus is a former Disney-channel princess (and daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus, who had a big hit (in America) in the early '90s with "Achy Breaky Heart", a country song that broke through onto the mainstream charts and kinda started the line-dancing craze, but that's not relevant right now) who played the insanely-popular kid idol character "Hannah Montana" for years.

Then she started her own singing career, and wanted to break away from her "cutesy kiddie" image and show "I'm a grown-up now, dammit!"  So she did what many others in that situation have done and OVERREACTED BY A THOUSAND MILES--showing how "grown-up" she is by being as blatantly "look how SHOCKING I am!" sexual as possible...and thereby actually coming across really juvenille.

Part of this whole...mess involved the video for her song "Wrecking Ball", in the video for which, she rides in on a wrecking ball--naked, for the omg! gasp! (but you can't actually see anything YouTube would make you censor out, because it's all shown from the side and her arms and legs are in the way) and contains the line "I CAME IN LIKE A WRECK-ING BAAALLLL..." and she like, symbolically smashes down the wall of the bad relationship or something I don't know, I don't really care about that song. I only know it because it was everywhere for a while.

...which is what the Deerclops does (is a living wrecking-ball, that is)...

...hence the random joke that...the Let's Players whose names I can't _quite_ remember (AND IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY ARGH) made, which was, I promise you, funny in context.  Lots of people were quoting that one exact line in the comments for that video.  It's not so much somebody naked riding somebody.  It's about how a stupid video might be improved if the little brat came in on the back of a badass giant instead, and she just _happens_ to be naked because that's how the original video was.

The Moral of The Story:  I should never, ever, EVER just assume that all American pop culture has escaped and gotten loose in other countries.  SOMEtimes it does, but you can never just assume. 

And any references that require multiple layers of back-explanation to even _try_ to make them as funny to the other person as they were to you?  No go.  Especially on an Internet forum where you can't see facial expressions or hear voice tones.   Basically...this is what I get for saying something I thought was funny just because _I_ wanted to, without making sure it would make any SENSE to others first.  :(

...Notorious

Okaaay, then again my little library feels safe and unthreatened by teenage starlets in their birthday suits. I may lose out on lascivious grins from hunky lumberjacks, but all things come at a price. Yes, life, I love you.

I'm also rather well-disposed towards the deer now that I know it has the courtesy to just smash my base instead of topping it off with the sight of its private bits. Which proves you learn from the most unexpected of places.

I indeed suck at popular music, but if you want to gush over the classics, Bach, say, or Vivaldi, or Mozart, I'm your witch. To each their own :)?

And I don't feel that ignorant given I know "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", which is appropriate for this thread. The remake "Lucy in Don't Starve with Shadows" is quite something or so I'm told.

PS I can use more smileys if it helps me expressing myself, just tell me. I also know I didn't screw up when I get an upvote.

Well, actually Miley Cyrus isn't "my own", I only KNOW about it.  Mainly through Todd in the Shadow'ss snarky review.  She's also the one who did the infamous "twerking incident" at the MTV awards (or was it the Grammys?)...said awards show that year was apparently so boring that some people were like 'Well, at least it's something that _happened_."

(And technically the Deerclops IS naked, as are all the giants--they're just polite.  I mean, really--what tailor would stand around them long enough to get their measurements, without being killed or running away?  : P)

I mostly suck at _modern_ popular music, and the bits that I do learn...I often wish I hadn't.  (Not always, but often.)  I wouldn't say you're ignorant.  This was from a completely different _continent_ and had nothing to do with you and your life.  (shrug)  Mostly I know about older stuff.  Ask me about say, '50s-'90s music and I'm there.  (Especially the 1980s.)

Basically, I was trying to riff off of the mental image of Willow riding in on the back of the werebeaver, causing MASSIVE BADASS DESTRUCTION, with something similar but stupid that I had heard somebody make up at random in a video I thought was funny.  That's all.

I really do hope you don't think of me as a weirdo now--I'm not.  I'm just silly and sometimes forget to explain things properly.

...Notorious

1 minute ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Well, actually Miley Cyrus isn't "my own", I only KNOW about it.  Mainly through Todd in the Shadow'ss snarky review.  She's also the one who did the infamous "twerking incident" at the MTV awards (or was it the Grammys?)...said awards show that year was apparently so boring that some people were like 'Well, at least it's something that _happened_."

(And technically the Deerclops IS naked, as are all the giants--they're just polite.  I mean, really--what tailor would stand around them long enough to get their measurements, without being killed or running away?  : P)

I mostly suck at _modern_ popular music, and the bits that I do learn...I often wish I hadn't.  (Not always, but often.)  I wouldn't say you're ignorant.  This was from a completely different _continent_ and had nothing to do with you and your life.  (shrug)  Mostly I know about older stuff.  Ask me about say, '50s-'90s music and I'm there.  (Especially the 1980s.)

Basically, I was trying to riff off of the mental image of Willow riding in on the back of the werebeaver, causing MASSIVE BADASS DESTRUCTION, with something similar but stupid that I had heard somebody make up at random in a video I thought was funny.  That's all.

I really do hope you don't think of me as a weirdo now--I'm not.  I'm just silly and sometimes forget to explain things properly.

...Notorious

Twerking... Some young soul tell me if my poor heart will stand looking the word up.

I don't consider you a weirdo, please. I also vehemently disagree with me being ignorant of American music just because I'm not American. Pop music is not my forte. Ask me of literature and you will learn I'm not as dense as this thread would imply. I also try to learn, so your anecdote was certainly new to me.

Speaking of Woodie nomming wood not being strange and your question pertaining to storms... WX and lightning? This soulful automaton has his Platonic Life Partner charge him. Never leave important stuff to chance!

Oh, I'm really sorry, I never meant to insinuate you were ignorant!  If anything, it's more _me_ being a typical arrogant 'MURICAN! and assuming that everybody else of _course_ knows our stuff because, well, it's OURS. What do you mean, there are other countries?  I was worried about accidentally looking like _that_, not calling YOU ignorant. I mean, ask me to name _one_ Polish politician or pop song without looking it up.  Just one.  I can't--and for pete's sake, I've got Polish-Lithuanian step-relatives!  : P

And I never, ever thought you were dense.  You're totally one of the more intellectual ones here. I myself tend to pick up bits of pop culture at random.  (shrug)

And last but not least...twerking is simply jiggling the butt back and forth really fast.  Normally harmless but Miley did it while pretending to grind up on Robin Thicke, for extra creepiness.  Anyway, that's all it is.  Butt jiggling.

But I've dragged this whole thread WAY the hell off topic and I do apologise.

...Notorious

4 hours ago, StarvedKasad said:

His secret is so much of a secret as Superman being Clark Kent. 

Except Woodie has a love interest persevering through each installment, unlike Kent, a face not drawn off a square and wears something better than a garish leopard :twisted:.

19 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Oh, I'm really sorry, I never meant to insinuate you were ignorant!  If anything, it's more _me_ being a typical arrogant 'MURICAN! and assuming that everybody else of _course_ knows our stuff because, well, it's OURS. What do you mean, there are other countries?  I was worried about accidentally looking like _that_, not calling YOU ignorant. I mean, ask me to name _one_ Polish politician or pop song without looking it up.  Just one.  I can't--and for pete's sake, I've got Polish-Lithuanian step-relatives!  : P

And I never, ever thought you were dense.  You're totally one of the more intellectual ones here. I myself tend to pick up bits of pop culture at random.  (shrug)

And last but not least...twerking is simply jiggling the butt back and forth really fast.  Normally harmless but Miley did it while pretending to grind up on Robin Thicke, for extra creepiness.  Anyway, that's all it is.  Butt jiggling.

But I've dragged this whole thread WAY the hell off topic and I do apologise.

...Notorious

Oh, Lord, Zelynda, what's wrong? I'm not saying you implied I was being ignorant (which I was and still am when it comes to pop, and worse, friggin' unrepentant about it), I told you I don't agree with thinking that you've got to be of some nationality in order not to be ignorant.

You can ask me to name Polish politicians and the most influential American ones, but by Lord, I'm the last person to question about pop :twisted:! I don't really feel bad about it, to think of it. Same with this Mr Thicke - no idea about the gentleman. The news of somebody crossing personal space of another is difficult enough for me. I'm weird like that.

I do try to make up for this in other areas. Having at least some smattering of literature, art, history and biology of other cultures is a must to me. You taught me a good deal of new things I would have never touched willingly of my own (knowledge hurts), and I'm happy for it. It just took me a while to process all this. I would ask some questions if you didn't mind, if you posted on my wall. And do answer my WX question please when you can. Regards!

Haha!  I somehow _knew_ Discworld characters were gonna come into this at some point.  (So...which one would I be?  Personally I think I'm closer to an older Magrat, but she isn't in this picture.  : P  Or...ooh!  ooh!  Tiffany Aching!  Who has MY (FIRST) NAME even!)

ANYway.  Hoo boy.  I keep accidentally making things worse.  Arlesienne, I'm not upset, I was just worried I had upset _you_.  Stereotypes about being from ANYwhere making you stupid/clueless/bigoted/whatever are bad, obviously.  And I don't really care deeply about pop culture, except for the parts I happen to like?  I'm not really proud of knowing it _or_ ignoring it, I just pick up what I happen to pick up.  Usually if I know about, say, a modern song, it's because somebody whose videos I like mentioned it or I heard it in the background while out somewhere.  (There are a few I actually like, too.)

(Pop music _history_ is another thing, though.  Don't know why, but I find that fascinating. Mainly from the way you get this overall...feel of how times are changing over the years by listening to the music and looking at the clothes/hairdos of the artists.  Like, if you're listening to '60s music in chronological order, the first time you hear a protest song amidst all the cheerful girl-group stuff and whatnot, you're like, "Aha, this must be when Vietnam really came in!"  But, studying stuff because I _like_ it is way different from trying to be trendy just because "society" says you should.  (shrug)

Anyway.  Again, not mad at you, just worried you were mad at me, and was trying to make things better.  (And failing.)  Robin Thicke is the guy who did the also-creepy song "Blurred Lines", which I also suggest you don't bother to look up, and as for Woodie's terrible secret...I dunno?  I really don't have any idea beyond, when it comes to Together...they've all SEEN him change!  As for _lore_ wise I don't know.  (shrug)

...Notorious

His secret?

He plays the guitar.

On 06/12/2016 at 8:05 AM, TheKingDedede said:

His secret?

He plays the guitar.

You sick, you broke my phone XD.

And yes, it must be hard to stand Wilson with his one-man-band while you have a good ear.

On 06/12/2016 at 7:31 AM, MeingroessterFan said:

@CaptainChaotica and @Arlesienne

Reading your discourse here is giving me a vivid mental image of two certain sweet ladies...

Hide contents

635733dc-4a86-11e5-_963798b.jpg

Please don't hit me

I could only smooch you for this and you know it, you cheeky taffer. Except not only do I act like Granny, I also have a good deal of Nanny in me.

Not the practical experience. But good enough at memorising where to laugh.

On 06/12/2016 at 8:02 AM, CaptainChaotica said:

Haha!  I somehow _knew_ Discworld characters were gonna come into this at some point.  (So...which one would I be?  Personally I think I'm closer to an older Magrat, but she isn't in this picture.  : P  Or...ooh!  ooh!  Tiffany Aching!  Who has MY (FIRST) NAME even!)

ANYway.  Hoo boy.  I keep accidentally making things worse.  Arlesienne, I'm not upset, I was just worried I had upset _you_.  Stereotypes about being from ANYwhere making you stupid/clueless/bigoted/whatever are bad, obviously.  And I don't really care deeply about pop culture, except for the parts I happen to like?  I'm not really proud of knowing it _or_ ignoring it, I just pick up what I happen to pick up.  Usually if I know about, say, a modern song, it's because somebody whose videos I like mentioned it or I heard it in the background while out somewhere.  (There are a few I actually like, too.)

(Pop music _history_ is another thing, though.  Don't know why, but I find that fascinating. Mainly from the way you get this overall...feel of how times are changing over the years by listening to the music and looking at the clothes/hairdos of the artists.  Like, if you're listening to '60s music in chronological order, the first time you hear a protest song amidst all the cheerful girl-group stuff and whatnot, you're like, "Aha, this must be when Vietnam really came in!"  But, studying stuff because I _like_ it is way different from trying to be trendy just because "society" says you should.  (shrug)

Anyway.  Again, not mad at you, just worried you were mad at me, and was trying to make things better.  (And failing.)  Robin Thicke is the guy who did the also-creepy song "Blurred Lines", which I also suggest you don't bother to look up, and as for Woodie's terrible secret...I dunno?  I really don't have any idea beyond, when it comes to Together...they've all SEEN him change!  As for _lore_ wise I don't know.  (shrug)

...Notorious

But I don't see a problem, girl, I fail to notice why you should worry about me XD! I'm sheltered, but it's a good kind of sheltered. To upset me over such a trivial matter as someone mentioning a crazy starlet and Aunt Arles going 0^0, you'd have to wake a week beforehand.

2 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Okay, good.  Just didn't want to sound like I was insulting you--whether you'd _take_ it as a big deal or not--I wanted to make sure I wasn't accidentally being a jerk.  : P

ANYway. Somebody who does fan art (quickly, which isn't me):  Rockstar Woodie (in either form).  GO!

...Notorious

Fear not and use my wall ;). I'm seconding Woodie fanart. But maybe a folk guitarist?

Yeah, that'd make more sense.  I just said "rockstar" to be silly.  But, there were definitely accoustic guitars by then--heck, quite a bit earlier.  Aaaaand I just pictured Woodie getting drunk and making up his own lyrics to "On Top of Old Smokey"* or somesuch.   XD

...Notorious

*Is it just me, or...is it not normal for a mountain to smoke?  Does the singer's "true lover" live on a VOLCANO?  Seems to me _that's_ the issue that should be addressed before anything else.

9 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

Yeah, that'd make more sense.  I just said "rockstar" to be silly.  But, there were definitely accoustic guitars by then--heck, quite a bit earlier.  Aaaaand I just pictured Woodie getting drunk and making up his own lyrics to "On Top of Old Smokey"* or somesuch.   XD

...Notorious

*Is it just me, or...is it not normal for a mountain to smoke?  Does the singer's "true lover" live on a VOLCANO?  Seems to me _that's_ the issue that should be addressed before anything else.

If it's a volcano... I would pay good money to see Woodie vacationing with Lucy. She'd probably scold him for anything he'd do.

I would also ask if this volcano is in the tropics and will he run into any Shipwrecked characters, but it's "all covered with snow", so nope on that.  Either way it'd be pretty entertaining to watch.  : P

(overly-dramatic announcer voice)  In a world...where the trees can attack you and monsters lurk around every turn...ONE BRAVE LUMBERJACK...

(shot of Woodie shown from kind of a low angle, so he looks all tall and Heroic)

...has the courage...

(shot of Woodie eating a log and then belching, like a total dork)

to dare climb the biggest, most dangerous mountain of them all:

(title screen with huge letters/fancy font) WOODIE...VS...THE VOLCANO!

LUCY:  I _told_ you not to eat the burned trees!

(shot of Woodie looking all disheveled and scorched)  Worth it!

(and it ends with a confusing, too-fast, creepy shot of the werebeaver lunging right into the camera, making the audience wonder: "What the heck is THAT?!")

Coming this fall to a theater near you!

...Notorious

22 hours ago, TheKingDedede said:

His secret? He plays the guitar.

21 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:
  1. Rockstar Woodie costume when please?
  2. (Seriously though, that'd make for some fun fan-art.  Would he be in human or werebeaver form while playing?  Hmmm...)
  1. Strummin' his "Axe" to the extreme. ariel ID face.png
  2. Sure thing, will screencap that for later.

Archived