Wolfgang's Name.

2 hours ago, b1b3r0n said:

Would he had flee from France to avoid the war between his two countries? He couldn't choose his side and start a new life in a circus?

Correct me if i'm wrong, dont starve period is around ww1 no? 1920s if i remember well

Yes, supposedly Maxwell began dragging people in around 1910.

3 hours ago, minespatch said:

You'd be correct. He is mixed heritage. I tried to be non-specific with my explanation but yes.

Exactly. A character of mixed heritage would not be surprising around this period, in these regions. There's a thread with some discussion on Wolf:

4 hours ago, JohnWatson said:

The name "Wolfgang" means "path of the wolf". Wolves are associated with strength. That's why his name is Wolfgang.

Yes to the first, no to the second. The symbolism of wolves is much more complex. You have evil symbolism (pacts with darkness, death-bringers, destruction, witchcraft, lycanthropy, disease...), good (self-sacrifice to the good of the pack - or a la the feeder of Remus and Romulus, bravery, nobility, endurance, freedom...), non-binary (warriors, trance, berserks, starting anew after destroying everything - cue the battle between Víðarr and Fenrir during Rangarök, unrelentness on the hunt...) - you simply cannot say "Wolves mean strength, strength means Wolfgang in DS". Without picking one culture from which to analyse them, you can't make such assumptions. Wolfgang is meant as a warrior with a twist (fearing monsters in spite of being good at fighting them) AND a foreigner like @Minespatch pointed out. Just like Wathgrithr is simply a stage act of Ráðgríðr. TL;DR: wolves have a much richer symbolism in literature, art and folklore than just strength. If you're into heraldry, read upon the wolf rampant. Should be good ;).

3 hours ago, MeingroessterFan said:

In the language of Goethe, "Wolfgang" also could theoretically be read as "walk of the wolf". So it could also mean that Wolfgang likes to walk on all fours when nobody's looking.

Possibly also howling. His "I AM MIGHTYYY!!!" surely counts like that.

Archived