Space for action with full inventory while holding one more item on cursor?

hyiltiz

In base game and RoG, when you have full inventory, you could still get one item on your cursor and move around, press space to do actions (pick saplings for example, and if your inventory has twigs then harvested twigs will do directly into your inventory). In Shipwrecked, for some reason, this mechanism no longer works.

I rely on it a lot. I am sure LOTS of other people will as well. However, in RoG world that are "SW-compatible", you cannot do action will on excessive item at hand as well. To make matters worse, if you sail on the sea, pick up an item from the sea while you had full inventory, that item gets onto your cursor. Then, you can click on a shore to exit from boat. However, when you want to get back into your boat, you have to DROP ONE ITEM since there is no way you can click on your boat OR PRESS SPACE to get back into your boat.

This mechanism is not acting as it did before, and it might have reasons for not to. However, it is more on a broken mechanism side due to possible complication in implementing boats rather than strategic decision for game experience.

6 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

In Shipwrecked, for some reason, this mechanism no longer works.

Ahhh who doesn't like fragmentation of information and rules across 3 different game modes?! /s

Some of SW files are based on DST instead of DS so DST rules apply. Found this the hard way when I tried to fight Spiders with a Torch.

7 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

one item on your cursor and move around, press space to do actions

Are you sure about this? I don't remember it working that way, ever. Also, just tried this in a pre-shipwrecked RoG world (was created before shipwrecked was even announced), while you have an item on your mouse cursor, space doesn't collect twigs or grass.

To be fair, you shouldn't even be able to interact with anything when you hold something with the cursor. It's meant to be like your hands are full (one for a tool, one for cursor item); hence why you can't take stuff like that on and off a boat.

I'm not saying that I never do it, because I have to very frequently to transport enemy drops from one place to another (e.g. gems) or treasure that's on my base island (e.g. more bloody gems). But it doesn't seem to be an entirely intended mechanic to be able to carry things anywhere with your cursor, but instead an unavoidable side effect of giving the player a chance to put the excess items in a chest. In that respect, it's like using fire farms to get a load of pig or rabbit drops: it's an issue, but fixing it would take more effort than it's worth.

On 4/16/2016 at 3:18 AM, stl1234 said:

Are you sure about this? I don't remember it working that way, ever. Also, just tried this in a pre-shipwrecked RoG world (was created before shipwrecked was even announced), while you have an item on your mouse cursor, space doesn't collect twigs or grass.

Agreed.  Pretty sure it's DST only.

1 hour ago, BlindGunner said:

While it's convenient I feel like it shouldn't even be in together, it's essentially an inv space +1. They might as well buff the normal inventory by one instead if they wanted this to be different from the base game.

Not exactly so, since you cannot attack while having this "extra inventory" occupied as I recall. Also, unless exploring, you usually are not using this "inventory" space anyway.

Inside of data/DLC0002/scripts/components/playercontroller.lua on line 413, thou shalt find the following line:

local has_active_item = self.inst.components.inventory:GetActiveItem() ~= nil

change it to

local has_active_item = false

And you'll get the behavior you're longing for :)

There is a safe way of injecting this into a mod, but I'm not sure it's worth making, wouldn't even get 5% subscriber conversion.

Archived