An open Letter to Capy and Klei

So since i know that Klei and Capy read most of the Forumposts i decided to speak out to them and say something that has been bugging me since the last few Weeks.

So as you guys probably saw people start to get a bit disheartend with the Shipwrecked DLC because it just doesn't deliver on certaint points and people get upset now because the contentflow is basicly over. And I do agree that SW is in a state that i don't consider ready yet. So instead i want to tell you guys something very important and that is

Don't Stop Now

What i mean is don't just stop here because the Roadmap says we're done NO instead i say that we are just at the halfway point.

You guys so far deliverd an amazing expansion you listend to our feedback and tried to implement as much as possible like the reworked Spearguns, the Quacken and even just minor changes like revalueing stats on fooditems. However i feel like that SW is still lacking and that you didn't try to exploit it to it's fullest potential.

And that's what i want don't just stop keep going lets make this the best damn expansion that this game has ever seen, lets create an expansion to surpas Reign of Giants, lets create something that is worth of being called an Expansion.

And i know time=$$$ and development isn't easy but i say it right now that I wouldn't mind spending another 5$/€ or any other currency to get another 4 months of development on SW going just so we can leave SW in a state that everyone will be happy with.

To make it short. SW is an amazing piece of work already however it's rough on the edges and not in a state I and many others consider it to be ready to release. Instead i want you guys to keep working in it to make it the best damn expansion we ever got something that makes even DST look old in comparison something that makes the people that only play DST go "I want to play Shipwrecked even if it's just Singleplayer".

And to end this post i want to say this. Capy you did a great Job again but you guys basicly went into a David and Goliath battle because you'r work will and always has been compared to Vanilla and Reign of Giants 2 pieces of the same medal that took almost 3 years to create and you tried to create something akin to that in only 4 months and i say kudos to that. However you guys have to realize that 4 Months are not enought to create a whole new World to rival RoG because it had a lot of the groundwork already in because of Vanilla and the Cave expansion.

To really end this now I'm just going to thank you guys again and everyone that helped in the creation of this Expansion it was a wild ride but i would love if it wouldn't end so soon.

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Don't Stop Now

What i mean is don't just stop here because the Roadmap says we're done NO instead i say that we are just at the halfway point.

You guys so far deliverd an amazing expansion you listend to our feedback and tried to implement as much as possible like the reworked Spearguns, the Quacken and even just minor changes like revalueing stats on fooditems. However i feel like that SW is still lacking and that you didn't try to exploit it to it's fullest potential.

"...instead i say that we are just at the halfway point." Well I wouldn't say that, it's more like 70-80% --> but have to agree, please don't stop now!

2 hours ago, Mr.P said:

And i know time=$$$ and development isn't easy but i say it right now that I wouldn't mind spending another 5$/€ or any other currency to get another 4 months of development on SW going just so we can leave SW in a state that everyone will be happy with.

I would also gladly pay extra money if they add more things to SW.

19 minutes ago, voyager156 said:

"...instead i say that we are just at the halfway point." Well I wouldn't say that, it's more like 70-80% --> but have to agree, please don't stop now!

I would also gladly pay extra money if they add more things to SW.

So do I, Klei and Capy we need:

Clockodiles, Tornado creating Howling Conches, Sea Hound obliterating Quackering Rams and Sailboards,

the people demand it. ^__^

Thanks for your grandiosity with SWs first half, please keep the amazing work up Klei and Capy,

but don't overwork to much, we need many more games and expansions from you. ^__^

Got to love Klei. They are so eager to create and share all their labours with us! Even in Early-Access. I remember helping work out the bugs in DST with them. Klei work so hard to bring us fun games and let us be involved in the process, adding things we suggest and responding to players input. So to Klei- Love you guys.

*This message was in no way sponsored by Klei in the fact that I moderate for them

15 minutes ago, LadyD said:

Got to love Klei. They are so eager to create and share all their labours with us! Even in Early-Access. I remember helping work out the bugs in DST with them. Klei work so hard to bring us fun games and let us be involved in the process, adding things we suggest and responding to players input. So to Klei- Love you guys.

10 outta 10 would cry at how heartfelt it was again. ;w;

15 minutes ago, LadyD said:

*This message was in no way sponsored by Klei in the fact that I moderate for them

We believe you, you don't even have to put there. :p

Just now, aukingiii said:

Sharkius shootius 

Made with: 1 Quacken beak   5 Obsidian   1 Tigershark eye   1 turbine blade 

Can be used on land and in water 

I say just water. The Tigershark Eye sits stop the Quacken Beak (similar to the Houndius Shootius), and the Turbine Blade spins facing downward to keep the structure afloat

It happens exactly when you ear for the first time Sealnado incoming. It go smoothly into the reading (thank you OP). :)

At start, you feel safe, you even think about how you will cooking that guy... soon ^^

But, it didn't go the way you thought.

You end up into a big OMG Taz'crazy tornado and cursing yourself for that greedy 53% football helmet.

Suddenly, you're in the "Rush zone", like 10 years ago with your hardcore character on Diablo 2 and i want to thank deeply Klei and Capy for the chills i got playing shipwrecked!

It got me to the bones playing for the first time and spending almost 300 hours loving every scraps of knowledge about the game.

Yet, i agree so much with Mr. P!

As an actual and future customer of your franchise :

Go ahead guys! :) Your creative ideas, funny and ironic view of gaming WORKS, i really want to enjoy more of shipwrecked and don't starve in general.

PS: Chester can be you best buddy, can you do the same with Baggims ? I don't remember in which patchs (tigershark or wilbur, but in one of those, baggims was following more accurately, even with fast speed (walking cane+cloth sail) !

I think general consensus is that people will happily pay more for shipwrecked to be expanded.

Frankly, from Capy's/Klei's perspective, it's a no-brainer. They get more money and a continued project whilst the community loves them even more.

Come on guys. Don't Starve has only 2 DLCs so far! It wouldn't hurt to have a few more, even if they're just addons for the existing packs! The whole community loves this game, and we'll support you through its continued development for years to come!

12 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

I think general consensus is that people will happily pay more for shipwrecked to be expanded.

Frankly, from Capy's/Klei's perspective, it's a no-brainer. They get more money and a continued project whilst the community loves them even more.

Come on guys. Don't Starve has only 2 DLCs so far! It wouldn't hurt to have a few more, even if they're just addons for the existing packs! The whole community loves this game, and we'll support you through its continued development for years to come!

It seems overwhelming when a game has 50 DLCs though. 

23 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

That's not good imho instead i already said i would be happy to just say i bought a second Copy of SW to help fundig at this point and instead raise the Price of SW to 10€/$ when it's fully finished. This way you make the already existing players happy because we basicly got an early adopter Bonus by getting SW to a heavily reduced price. And the later customers might not complain if they get an expansion that's worth the money.

Making DLC for your DLC also is just plain Wrong and should not be a thing. Why? Because if we tolerate it now who says that other developers won't do the same later on? We all already now how Greedy companies like EA and Activision are do you really expect them to not exploit the possibilitys of selling DLC for DLC?

12 minutes ago, voyager156 said:

DLC for Shipwrecked is bad idea (at least for now). Klei & Capy should make a Kickstarter project, to get more money - so they can CONTINUE development of SW.

This cuts off people who use their parent's bank cards for games.

I know it sounds dumb, but you have to remember that a lot of gamers are <18 years old and still rely on their parents/guardians to buy stuff, and I doubt they'll be happy with spending money on random Kickstarter project. You can't just leave them out of stuff like this.

Maybe they could do the funding thing on Steam. Like the Completely Overkill Pack for PAYDAY 2, only not terrible (i.e. openly intends to be a donation rather than a £15 crappy DLC).

19 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

This cuts off people who use their parent's bank cards for games.

I know it sounds dumb, but you have to remember that a lot of gamers are <18 years old and still rely on their parents/guardians to buy stuff, and I doubt they'll be happy with spending money on random Kickstarter project. You can't just leave them out of stuff like this.

Maybe they could do the funding thing on Steam. Like the Completely Overkill Pack for PAYDAY 2, only not terrible (i.e. openly intends to be a donation rather than a £15 crappy DLC).

Dude not only the Kickstarter backers get the updates...

5 hours ago, CheeseburgerCockatoo said:

Dude not only the Kickstarter backers get the updates...

And not only the people who donated to the Kickstarter actually wanted to show their support in some way.

There are some people who'd donate without the incentive of grunted new content, you know. 

2 hours ago, DeputyDeath said:

And not only the people who donated to the Kickstarter actually wanted to show their support in some way.

There are some people who'd donate without the incentive of grunted new content, you know. 

As would I. I'm just saying what you said seemed incorrect to my understanding.

Yeah!  After all, they haven't implemented any of my ideas yet - clearly more updates with them must be on the way.

Seriously though, Shipwrecked definitely needs more work.  It just feels unfinished.  Even the Lava Biome, arguably one of the most anticipated additions of all time (right guys?  hello?  anyone?) looks like a half-finished mod someone threw together in like a couple days, even though it could be one of the coolest (pun unintended) biomes in the game.  Boss fights are slightly better gameplay-wise than the ones in the main game, but still have enormous (WTH IS WITH ALL THESE PUNS) problems.  Tiger Shark is awful compared to the other fights, Sealnado is alright but extremely annoying sometimes, Quacken is great but way too easy...and ocean combat is obviously crap.  I think if they put a few more months into it, they could fix these problems and put out something really great.

Just now, CheeseburgerCockatoo said:

Maybe they could make use of Pyro as a promotional stunt/donation DLC.

I always fear that if they did a crossover like that, we would just get one as every single update.

I mean, in PAYDAY 2, 75% of updates are now collaborations ever since John Wick was added. Yes, I know I mention this game a lot, but (apart from my love of it) it's a perfect example of how easy it is to screw up as a developer and lose the support of many community members in an instant.

I couldn't bear to see that happen to Don't Starve. But, maybe as a one-time thing, it could work.

Archived