The Gloom Beacons: Revived

Dannyrulx

(Italics mean thought).

A couple spiders jumped at Dragon Mage but she swiped them down with her claws. Then one ran past her. She shot fire at it but it dodged it. Then she realized it was heading straight for her egg. Oh no! She began to run back. Wait, what about the others? She looked back and saw them taking down dozens at a time. They should be alright. Then she rushed back to the spider and her egg. She threw a small fire ball at the spider. It hit him this time, Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to kill it but rather anger it. The spider quickly recovered and hissed at her. Then it lunged at her, this time knocking her over. She struggled to keep the spider far enough away from biting her neck.

(Btw, I'm going on the same behavior as the black surface spiders cos I never so underground -_- )

(I'll just be here... observing from the darkness...)

It is almost time... the sun is setting above... the spiders should keep the occupied until it completely sets...

The sun is setting... the battle rages on... the spiders seem to be gaining in numbers... as the reaper reaps the souls of the fallen, he amasses more energy... as they do, the sound of death attracts more of the dark ones... in the outer reaches of the light, beyond the rings of bright sunlight passing through the cave walls, eyes open... their luminescence eerie and out of place in the dark... the eyes do not produce light, yet they shine in the darkness... hunger raging in them... waiting for the chance... a slip up... they will perish soon enough...

Mortimus had been on-and-off fighting with his scythe, but now there was too many to ignore. He twirled it and swept it horizontally across the floor, before hearing DM's scuffle. Calling a bolt of light into his hand, he hurled it, stabbing the spider through the eye. Calling the shard back, he brought it down on another spider's head.

"There's so many... Can one of you guys breathe fire or something?!"

Qwin was to busy trying to beat the spiders back while being careful not to get bit to hear anything. As she tried to hit one away it latched onto her arm and she winced as the pain. Ripping the spider off she punted it wishing she had something to defend herself with. She still refused to give up though and kept attacking.

After Mortimus stabbed the spider in the eye, Dragon Mage got a bit of insect blood on her face. There was too much going on to worry about that now however. When Dragon Mage stood up, there were more spiders in front of her, closing in on their possible prey. Dragon Mage needed to help the others but the egg would be in danger. Why did she have to take it? There was a whole army of spiders now with their numbers steadily rising. "That's it!" Dragon Mage said in a rage, "I've had it with these damned spiders!" She conjured fire in her hands, combined the two and shot a giant jet of flame at the spiders ahead. It burned them to a crisp. The amount of light emanating from the flame caused the other spiders to flee. After the fire disappeared, Dragon Mage looked down at her hands. She didn't know she had that kind of power. She looked up at the others and saw that only a few spiders were still around. Were they gone or would they come back?

(Well done for reading all that :p )

Mortimus looked at her, and raised a single eyebrow. "Girlie, that's what I call an ability!"

He speared the last few spiders and walked back towards camp, pausing to wipe the blood off of her face.

"Not quite breathing, but definitely what we needed. Where did that come from?"

• Like 1

"I... I don't know" she said, still unsure, "I just got so feed up with the spiders that!... (sigh) I don't know." Once her burst of adrenaline ran out, she fell to her knees. Using that amount of power left her feeling drained and weak. "I'm ok" she said, reassuring the others "whoa". Then Dragon Mage looked around, sensing someone was missing. "Where's... Ysulyan?"

(And Lucas?)

Edited by DragonMage156

Ysulyan had attracted the attention of many spiders while the others were valiantly driving back those fell creatures. To give the others some space and less troubles, he attempted to run back towards the clearing where the light of dusk faintly crept o'er the withered patches of grass and picked (or sick) berry bushes. He was standing on the tree stump that was left there after the others had cut it down, using claws and nature to fight back the horde of spiders that were surrounding him. Upon noticing a intense glow of light followed by a fire nova, he shielded his eyes and heard as the spiders were driven back one by one, scared of the bright magicks Half-Sister could perform. The green dragon was standing there, with bites and claws all over his body, tattered clothes now, with bloody stains everywhere. Still, he managed to stay on foot, and as soon as things started to calm down, he panted and started to recover, the adrenaline starting to fade and exhaustion taking its toll. he stepped down and quickly approached the others, once again being caressed by darkness, which immediately affected him by reducing his stamina and getting tired quite fast. Luckily, he managed to reach the other humans, and the half-breed. He grimaced and nodded, glancing at them and grunting. "That was most unexpected. Is everyone alright? Good work, half-sister. I did not know you could channel the fires."

Qwin couldn't believe how awesome that was! She was hurt from the spiders, some cuts and bruises on her hands from punching what she could and sometimes missing but that didn't stop her from the excitement she felt. "Wow! That was awesome! Really I can't believe how big that flame was! Those spiders fled pretty quick too. Man I wish I had that kind of power!" she said smiling at Dragon mage as she put out a hand to motion for a high five.

(Yeah I was wondering where Lucas was too, which is why I didn't post much but should we keep going or wait? Also Theo's still the silent villain.)

(I'm tied of waiting. I'm just gonna write the next part of the story and whoever posts next can but in their input).

Someone helped Dragon Mage up since she was still quite weak from all the magic she used. She was glad the spiders were gone and everyone was back, safe and sound. Well... almost everyone. She sat down infront of the fire. It was getting a bit low. She threw one more log on it. The spiders may be gone Dragon Mage thought, but the shadows are still looming. In my current state, I'm rather vulnerable for...

It was getting late and DM's eyes began to droop. She wasn't sure if it was a good idea to sleep where they were. Was it safe? Was it comfortable? Probably not. Her muscles would be sore if she slept on the ground like that but what other choice did she have. She looked around to see if there was any rocks and grass to used for a pillow.

Mortimus rolled his shoulders and sat down next to the stoked fire. Warming his hands, he realised that he was hungry. Really, really hungry. He flicked the end of his staff up, so that it was a spear, drove it through a spider and manoeuvred back to camp. "If anyone knows how to cook, now would be a real nice time to show"

Ysulyan heard someone ask for cooking skills and he stepped forward, "I do know a couple of survival cooking. Too bad I did not bring spices and it's a shame we have no cauldron either. But I will manage to cook that... Thing you gave me. I just need to inspect it for a moment, if you may...", he knelt down to take one of the corpses. The spider seemed to have a very disgusting meat, obviously. "I'm afraid the meat might be quite poisonous, but not deadly... We should be fine as long as we don't stick to this kind of diet..."

Dragon Mage looked up. "Ugh... we're gonna cook monster meat?" She didn't like the sound of it and it was already beginning to smell. As Ysulyan was separating the meat, it looked black an purple. Even watching slaughter house videos wasn't as unsettling as this... maybe that was because it wasn't in real life.

Ysulyan huffed, "Obviously we eat this...", he said as he grabbed a stone slab that fell from the rooftop after the earthquake, finding several shattered pieces of rock to craft a makeshift stone grill and then added the meat, one by one, enough to provide a reasonable ration for everyone who was still alive there. He aroused the fires by adding a bit more of wood and whatever small chunks of fat he could gather from the carcasses of those spiders. Good thing he had sharp claws, for he could easily skin those things for a better cooking. But the skin was too feeble to prove any help for anything at all. He just discarded them or added them to the fires. The slab started to heat up and soon the hissing sound of cooking meat could be heard, along with the peculiar smell that flesh provided whilst being grilled.

Edited by Ysulyan

(I'm gonna start another RP soon, set in a completely separate world, where you're part of a merc group hired to fight off an invading force. If this interests you, let me know so I can get a rough guesstimate of who's joining.)

Can I join?

Name: Asmar Blightleaf

Race: Floran

History (if you want to keep a secret, that's fine.): Sssssssecret
Personality: Most Floran are vicious, highly tribalistic, predatory humanoid plants that kill and eat other species. Asmar, however, like a few of her brethren, broke away from this hyper-violent fold, and tries to distance herself from her species. Civilised, and with human emotions that most Floran don't have, she's still formidable when she loses her sense of being.
Appearance: Like most Floran, she has a leafy 'canopy' of hair and a separate 'flower'. Her skin and canopy are both green, and her flower is bright purple. She wears a black tank top, and white cargo pants, although God knows where she got those from. She's barefoot, and has a sling across her back containing a broadsword twice her size, although incredibly light. Whilst in direct sunlight, she can photosynthesise, reducing her dependence on food, and she can 'drink' simply by having water contact her skin.

Strengths: Her broadsword, which is huge, but extremely light and the fact that she's proficient in weilding it. She can photosynthesis in direct light, and is carnivorous.
Weaknesses: Afraid of fire, carnivorous.
Etc: (Yes, she's from Starbound)