Suggestion - tweak Woodlegs no drowning perk

Woodlegs is awesome in every way. He's got some neat perks (hat and boat) and a big drawback (sanity loss on land) but the fact that he can't drown is a bit over powered.

My suggestion is that he only avoids drowning if he sinks while on his own pirate ship. Just like Walani can only surf waves while on her surf board.

Just a though.

In my topic of Woodlegs I suggested (among others things) that:

2. He cannot drown (as it is now) --> but after every time ship is destroyed with him aboard, he loses 35 permanent health (overexertion) which lasts 6 days each (cumulative).

You cptCalavera wrote:

My suggestion is that he only avoids drowning if he sinks while on his own pirate ship.

That would be overpowered still I think --> it would be better just to remove the perk in my opinion.

25 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

Is it OP? it doesn't sound it.

You have to be pretty reckless to drown in the first place.

Not really.

Just meet sea hounds(or try to fight most things at sea) and...drowning is not so hard to do anymore. 

I really like this idea for balancing the perk. Because then, despite having better equivelants, unlike Walani's surfboard, you actually have a late game viable perk from being on his boat this way. 

1 hour ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Not really.

Just meet sea hounds(or try to fight most things at sea) and...drowning is not so hard to do anymore. 

I really like this idea for balancing the perk. Because then, despite having better equivelants, unlike Walani's surfboard, you actually have a late game viable perk from being on his boat this way. 

But why would you even try to take on the sea hounds?

Or, for that matter, even try to kill anything (except whales and jellyfish) at sea?

15 minutes ago, DeputyDeath said:

But why would you even try to take on the sea hounds?

Or, for that matter, even try to kill anything (except whales and jellyfish) at sea?

Because they come at you and the boats are slow. Sooner or later, they will corner you.

And the fact that combat at sea is not even valid is horrible for a sea focused expansion. 

2 hours ago, cptCalavera said:

Any change would be nice really. As of right now you have infinite resurection as long as you die at sea. Surviving should take some sort of effort at least. 

It is just a free life jacket. That is it. And its not like you need armor on a boat anyway. All I see it as is a free inventory space. Also, boats are not free. Throwing away boats to respawn with the same stats, on an island without any of your stuff, doesn't sound that useful to me. 

I think his ability might be crucial to the lore so it will not be changed.

You see, Walani can swim, she's a surfer, every surfer can swim, but she dies anyway, because the nightmare creatures drag her down, but Woodlegs seems to be friends with them, they always save him no matter what, normal characters need a Life Jacket which provides enough buoyancy to overcome the strength of those things, or Life Amulet, the relic that defies the death itself.

What if it's Woodlegs who is the God of Shipwrecked Realm, just like Maxwell is the God of RoG Realm?

15 minutes ago, Misaki said:

What if it's Woodlegs who is the God of Shipwrecked Realm, just like Maxwell is the God of RoG Realm?

His voice lines don't seem to reflect any of that, and he's got some heavy inspiration from maxwell... (including tallbirds themselves)

Besides, I don't quite recall the shadows being too friendly with our pal maxy.

7 hours ago, AnonymousKoala said:

And the fact that combat at sea is not even valid is horrible for a sea focused expansion. 

I believe this was to inspire you to use ranged weapons at sea, but due to the fact that they require you to come to a stop to use them, and not be disturbed, this fails horribly. Simply the thing that screws this over is boats and how they slowly hamper down their momentum and slowly start up their momentum, which throws any and all kiting out the window. Really the only mob that should be fought at sea is swordfish and The Quacken, because I think they can ONLY be fought at sea, not to mention how ridiculously easy Quacken is with even a freaking raft. Everything else you're better off going to dry land.

25 minutes ago, Weirdobob said:

His voice lines don't seem to reflect any of that, and he's got some heavy inspiration from maxwell... (including tallbirds themselves)

That is a good point.

Maybe Walani can't avoid getting dragged down because she never encountered them? Woodlegs sailed uncharted territories and probably encountered those nightmares a lot which is why he knows how to avoid getting killed by them.

Or maybe I'm overthinking this and his Wooden Legs just provide enough buoyancy to save him.

34 minutes ago, Nickolas2600 said:

How about he can only not drown in sallow ocean. If he is in deep ocean he needs a life jacket? I mean Walani is a surfer and she cant swim, but a pirate without real legs can?

8 hours ago, cptCalavera said:

Any change would be nice really. As of right now you have infinite resurection as long as you die at sea. Surviving should take some sort of effort at least. 

He doesn´t need that perk in my opinion, that is almost as OP as some MOD character perks, Woodlegs is fine without it.

To balance him out (if we get rid of the perma life jacket perk) he should craft a Pirate Sail for his pirate ship, that makes it faster than a log raft and lower the boat durability from 500 to 300. There is no reason why his rundown ship has as much durability as the Armored Boat or why it starts with a sail that does absolutly nothing for its speed.

If nothing happens we will see the first MODs soon, that will up the pirate ship speed on Feather Sail + Armored Boat level, get rid of his sanity loss on land and of corse keep the perma life jacket perk... we all know how most MODs look like.

I would really want to play Woodlegs, but at the moment he is not polished enough.

20 minutes ago, HeilerderWelten said:

He doesn´t need that perk in my opinion, that is almost as OP as some MOD character perks, Woodlegs is fine without it.

To balance him out (if we get rid of the perma life jacket perk) he should craft a Pirate Sail for his pirate ship, that makes it faster than a log raft and lower the boat durability from 500 to 300. There is no reason why his rundown ship has as much durability as the Armored Boat or why it starts with a sail that does absolutly nothing for its speed.

If nothing happens we will see the first MODs soon, that will up the pirate ship speed on Feather Sail + Armored Boat level, get rid of his sanity loss on land and of corse keep the perma life jacket perk... we all know how most MODs look like.

I would really want to play Woodlegs, but at the moment he is not polished enough.

So you think woodlegs is op because future mods might remove some of his downsides?

4 hours ago, Misaki said:

I think his ability might be crucial to the lore so it will not be changed.

You see, Walani can swim, she's a surfer, every surfer can swim, but she dies anyway, because the nightmare creatures drag her down, but Woodlegs seems to be friends with them, they always save him no matter what, normal characters need a Life Jacket which provides enough buoyancy to overcome the strength of those things, or Life Amulet, the relic that defies the death itself.

One would just assume that he can't drown because half of his body is made of, y'know, wood.

4 hours ago, HeilerderWelten said:

No I think he is OP because he can`t die.

When you die you usually do so accidentally and suddenly. Do you really anticipate every time you die? Woodlegs in water is no more powerful than Woodie near a bunch of trees. You can still die on land and/or if somehow you find yourself out of health on a boat you are still dead. It is not difficult to make a bunch of life jackets so his ability is simply saving you some inventory space and convenience to feel comfortable sailing without fear of sinking.

7 hours ago, NoQuitting said:

When you die you usually do so accidentally and suddenly. Do you really anticipate every time you die? Woodlegs in water is no more powerful than Woodie near a bunch of trees. You can still die on land and/or if somehow you find yourself out of health on a boat you are still dead. It is not difficult to make a bunch of life jackets so his ability is simply saving you some inventory space and convenience to feel comfortable sailing without fear of sinking.

When you start to starve, have no fire in the dark, have no sanity, you overheat, volcano bombs start to fall, etc. you just go on your resurrection log raft, crash in a few waves, sharx, water beefalo,etc. and just start with a new one, for free, when that is not an OP perk than nothing is.

Also the life jacket comparison is quiet flawed, you have to wear that thing to survive and craft it from: 2 Cloth, 2 Vines and 3 Empty Bottles, try to collect that material (or get to your loot) when you overheat, starve, are chased by hounds, have no flint or dodge volcano bombs or if you start on an empty island and have to get to another one in volcano season.

Woodlegs doesn't need to collect anything, he can survive for 80 days without eating or making a fire once with that perk...it is completly insane! (I guess we will see some "No Eating Challenges" for Woodlegs very soon)

But how could Woodlegs be changed? (I copy my own post here from: 5 Changes for the ne Release the Quacken Update)

4. Woodlegs

- he is a very cool character, but there are some problems with him

- it is impossible for him to die, he has a permanent Life Jacket effect and will respawn every time he dies on sea

- so if you think you die by: monsters, hunger, sanity, heat, etc. just hop on your boat and you will respawn without a big penalty

- when he respawns he has enough material to craft a log raft and that makes him "invincible" again

- in my opinion that perk should be removed completly, I suppose it is quiet hard to swim with 2 wooden legs after all

5. The Sea Legs (The new Pirate Ship)

- I love the idea of Woodlegs own pirate ship!

- but that thing is as slow as a log raft, if you try to fight more than 3 Sharx (Sea Hounds) you die

- if you try to flee from Sharx, Swordfish, Stink Rays, Tiger Shark, etc. you will also die, because they are way faster than you

- if you craft it, it should keep its unlimited pirate cannon (if it is to OP for your taste, it could be reloaded with coconuts)

- but there is no reason why that old, rundown ship has the same durabilty as the Armored Boat (both have 500) it should only have 300 durabilty

- now the speed, if you craft the boat, it shouldn't have a sail (like all other ships), but only its ship's mast (he has to row and it will only have log raft speed)

- but you can craft the Pirate Sail with an Alchemy Engine:

4x Cloth - for the sail

2x Bone Shards - for the cross bones

6x Charcoal - for the blackness

- it has the speed bonus of the Snakeskin Sail (25%)

- it lasts for 5 days (Snakeskin sail lasts 4 days)

- can be repaired with a Sewing Kit

- is the only sail that can be used on his "Sea Legs" (because its a Pirate Sail for a Pirate Ship of corse)

- with these changes the ship can actually be used to explore the map (without going insane by its log raft speed) and to survive sea combat (against Sharx), it even will remain usefull, if you could craft a Cargo- or Armored Boat, because of its cannon

15 hours ago, Weirdobob said:

I believe this was to inspire you to use ranged weapons at sea, but due to the fact that they require you to come to a stop to use them, and not be disturbed, this fails horribly. Simply the thing that screws this over is boats and how they slowly hamper down their momentum and slowly start up their momentum, which throws any and all kiting out the window. Really the only mob that should be fought at sea is swordfish and The Quacken, because I think they can ONLY be fought at sea, not to mention how ridiculously easy Quacken is with even a freaking raft. Everything else you're better off going to dry land.

Stopping when you shoot worked in RoG, but if they want all combat in sea to be based around ranged weapons(which is a great idea actually), not stopping when you shoot, and boats being faster, as well as hounds not gangbanging you as easily, and sea combat can be badass.

Imagine sailing, not stopping, and while sailing shooting spearguns at sea hounds, dodging them, picking up the spear, shooting again, etc.

Is that not badass? The momentum mechanic is horrible when you have to stop to attack, and not stopping when you attack will make it insanely fun.

1 hour ago, HeilerderWelten said:

I miss clickedl. ^^

That actually sounds quiet good, could work out very well for Sharx.

Archived