Official Warly Discussion Thread

First time creating one of these, I'm assuming it's called a thread?

Anywho, this topic here is to discuss the new character added in the "Eye of the Tiger Shark" update, Warly!

If you don't know about him or have him unlocked, here's what I can tell you about his stats so far:

150 HP

250 Hunger

200 Sanity

(According to the wiki), his hunger drains 1.33x faster, and he gets less hunger from eating non crockpot foods. However, consuming crock pot meals give him additional hunger over other characters (not quite certain of the specifics at the moment). He starts with a portable crock pot, which is an inventory item that can be planted and picked back up, and when planted, acts as a crock pot. He also begins with a chef pouch, which only has 4 slots but keeps food inside the pouch fresh longer.

With that in mind, my actual thoughts on the character?

For starters, better than Walani. I really enjoy the concept of a crock pot based character with a portable one, encouraging players to keep in mind recipes in order to keep your hunger high. The chef pouch is also a really nice bonus, and when combined with the portable crock pot, allows him the luxury of making crock pot meals on the go and keeping them nice and fresh. As for his downsides, although his increased hunger drain is off set a bit by his additional hunger from crock pot meals, there can be scenarios (although unlikely), where you can't gather the proper ingredients for any crock pot recipes, forcing you to eat non crock pot meals, which will either make you burn through a lot of resources, or have a lot less hunger overall.

Although with the above scenario being unlikely, I find that overall, Warly could be considered a bit OP. (Then again, I considered Wigfrid OP when she was first released and still believe so, maybe my sanity's low.) If he really needed additional downsides, I'd either say they should make it so he doesn't start with the chef pouch and has to craft it, or maybe make the portable crockpot a bit weaker compared to it's big brother. Perhaps longer cooking times or limited recipes? Durability? Or maybe making the penalties for eating non crock pot foods a bit more? Even maybe to the point of slight sanity loss?

But hey, that's just my opinions on Warly. Overall, I really enjoy him. I'd say he's up there with my favorite characters, Wicker and Wolfgang. DISCUSS!

13 minutes ago, mitboy said:

he should refuse to eat same crockpot meal if he ate that already in previous 2-3 days.

...Wha-why? That sounds like a really freaking stupid as a downside 

19 minutes ago, VeryDead said:

I'd either say they should make it so he doesn't start with the chef pouch and has to craft it, or maybe make the portable crockpot a bit weaker compared to it's big brother. Perhaps longer cooking times or limited recipes? Durability? Or maybe making the penalties for eating non crock pot foods a bit more? Even maybe to the point of slight sanity loss?

These sound like downsides.

I think he is just a little bit OP, his faster hunger drain is somewhat balanced out the bonus from crockpot. His limited option on raw food can make exploration a little hard during early day. 

His portable crockpot will take up 1 inventory slot and the chef pouch only hold up to 4 items instead of 8 like the backpack. 

Maybe we could give him a little more penalties on the raw foods and maybe a little boost when eating crockpot meals 

- Like a bonus 20 health on fish dishes, 15% bonus movement speed on meat dishes... etc etc

2 minutes ago, TemporaryMan said:

Craftable chef pouch actually sounds like a bonus, supposing it's made with cloth and no gears.  Good for a small, quick ice box substitute while you scrounge for the gears for a permanent solution.  Won't stay in one place in hurricane season, though.

I hadn't even thought of using them as a pre-icebox substitute. That's a really good starting strategy.

I do agree that he could use some tweaking as he's a tad OP. I'd say bump that hunger penalty to 1.5 or remove the hunger bonus he gets from crockpot dishes. Also, I'd like his crockpot to cook food faster, say 25% or something. I like him a lot overall.

I think his perk is pretty balanced, but he could stand to have much harsher penalties on normal foods. I actually kind of like the idea of him rejecting repetitive food (it would fit with his foodie character), but on the other hand I could see that getting pretty annoying in terms of gameplay.

I think the character is actually a bit weak and lack a little something to make him interesting. The starting Crockpot is nice as is the Chef Pouch but after day ~20 they will not really matter. The slot occupied by the Crock Pot on the long run is better be used by a stack of food and the Chef Pouch will probably be replaced by a Backpack or an armor (Floral Shirt ftw). The character is really nice for a nomadic play though.

The extra Hunger drain barely matter since it is compensated by the extra Hunger and Sanity gain from Crockpot recipes, what it does is preventing you from using raw Honey or Jerky as food so basically it only restrict your in-game choices.

How could we tweak him to make a more interesting character? I had an idea based on what the other said (refuse to eat the same food in a row) : First time he eats a Crockpot recipe instead of x1.2 give him a bigger bonus like x1.4. Each time he eats the same food reduce it until x1. So now Warly has a good reason to vary the Crockpot recipes without completely shutting down the possibility of eating the same. The timer could reset on days or after he eats two other recipes.

6 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

I think the character is actually a bit weak and lack a little something to make him interesting. The starting Crockpot is nice as is the Chef Pouch but after day ~20 they will not really matter. The slot occupied by the Crock Pot on the long run is better be used by a stack of food and the Chef Pouch will probably be replaced by a Backpack or an armor (Floral Shirt ftw). The character is really nice for a nomadic play though.

The extra Hunger drain barely matter since it is compensated by the extra Hunger and Sanity gain from Crockpot recipes, what it does is preventing you from using raw Honey or Jerky as food so basically it only restrict your in-game choices.

How could we tweak him to make a more interesting character? I had an idea based on what the other said (refuse to eat the same food in a row) : First time he eats a Crockpot recipe instead of x1.2 give him a bigger bonus like x1.4. Each time he eats the same food reduce it until x1. So now Warly has a good reason to vary the Crockpot recipes without completely shutting down the possibility of eating the same. The timer could reset on days or after he eats two other recipes.

The chef pouch can be used as an ice box

i do like those tweaks though

OK another super easy character without any late game features :/

I hope next character is for advanced players and last one is SW version of Wes or something like him. IMO people will get bored really fast with these easy characters. 

In ROG we got super ULTRA easy Wigfrid so beginners could be immortal and Webber with 100 sanity and cool features for late game fun!

I found him too easy and definitely best character to play with if you are new to the whole don't starve concept.

I did not really like the idea of not eating same meal... Instead that crockpot should have a durability and can be crafted again. Something like wigfrid helmet or bernie of willow. If we look at all characters, somewhat all of the special items they got (if they have) have a durability or one time use etc (OK  lucy the axe is unlimited but it has negative effect on Woodie if you use it too much).. But this unlimited crockpot is just a bullshit for this game. maybe 3 use crockpot and then u need to use ur resources to craft a new one would be a good idea. Otherwise make all OP foods forever and u can have full sanity full hp full hunger without worrying about having a base. (shipwrecked crockpot recipes are all OP at the moment so anyone with crockpot will be an op char.)

Also he should have more cons. I mean 200 sanity and 250 hunger is superb for a DS char. alright more hunger loss and having less hunger from non-crockpot foods are something negative but crockpot negates all these effects. For the first time I saw a char in don't starve that contradicts with the name of the game cuz impossible to starve with such a character even as a new player.

26 minutes ago, PolarBeer said:

I found him too easy and definitely best character to play with if you are new to the whole don't starve concept.

I did not really like the idea of not eating same meal... Instead that crockpot should have a durability and can be crafted again. Something like wigfrid helmet or bernie of willow. If we look at all characters, somewhat all of the special items they got (if they have) have a durability or one time use etc (OK  lucy the axe is unlimited but it has negative effect on Woodie if you use it too much).. But this unlimited crockpot is just a bullshit for this game. maybe 3 use crockpot and then u need to use ur resources to craft a new one would be a good idea. Otherwise make all OP foods forever and u can have full sanity full hp full hunger without worrying about having a base. (shipwrecked crockpot recipes are all OP at the moment so anyone with crockpot will be an op char.)

Also he should have more cons. I mean 200 sanity and 250 hunger is superb for a DS char. alright more hunger loss and having less hunger from non-crockpot foods are something negative but crockpot negates all these effects.

Honestly I do not mind the unlimited Crock Pot (and by the way Willow Lighter is infinite use in RoG). You got a Crock Pot in maybe 12 days in game and it is infinite so no reason to make this one with durability. Yes it is portable but most end game food last for a really long time anyway and you will just waste 1 precious inventory slot for carrying your crockpot around instead of having a stack of food (especially since they spoil at 50% in the Chef Pouch).

Also he should have more cons. I mean 200 sanity and 250 hunger is superb for a DS char. alright more hunger loss and having less hunger from non-crockpot foods are something negative but crockpot negates all these effects.

I really do not think having a Portable Crock Pot negate his higher Hunger Drain. If anything the character is actually more likely to starve than other characters (except Wolfgang and Wes which is why it is not super original).

For the first time I saw a char in don't starve that contradicts with the name of the game cuz impossible to starve with such a character even as a new player.

Really? Remember that Webber can eat raw Monster Meat making Hunger a non-issue? Same for Wigfrid since she can easily restore the lost Health/Sanity. Let's not forget Wickerbottom that can instantly regrow Berry Bush and summon tons of Morsel. In both RoG and SW it is really hard to starve anyway, food is everywhere.

These new characters are easier (for the beginning at least) but really underwhelming in term of perks on the long term.

20 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

Really? Remember that Webber can eat raw Monster Meat making Hunger a non-issue? Same for Wigfrid since she can easily restore the lost Health/Sanity. Let's not forget Wickerbottom that can instantly regrow Berry Bush and summon tons of Morsel. In both RoG and SW it is really hard to starve anyway, food is everywhere.

These new characters are easier (for the beginning at least) but really underwhelming in term of perks on the long term.

Any char has no food problem even wes or mighty wolfgang. Problem is you need some xp to find food (some basic xp). If you think from new player's side, it is even easy not to starve for a new player with this char... Make meatballs for days (recipe for dont starve that any noob knows).

Yes monster meat is op for webber but webber is a diverse char for a newbie. if you got 15 dens around you will have 40 mm every night. Too op but this is different. You can go to anywhere with this crockpot and cook food whenever needed.

Setting up a webber base is not easy to get sustainable food source (easy but u need some work on it.. You cannot get such a base before day 15 if you dont work really hard on having 15 den base) also if u are away from ur base u cannot use that opportunity whereas this is not same for this char. I mean also think from a starter logic. Webber is a different char needs some xp to get such a base up (if you got no spider infested area you will have harder time moving them from original spot to the place where u wanna settle down).. On the other hand this crockpot is ready to be used forever.

same for wicker.. Wicker needs book to do that and it lowers sanity. Low sanity is a nightmare for a newbie. Also having that book ready to be used is not easy... These are all chars that you need some xp to understand how to get food. But ready crockpot ready food.. This is too damn easy for everyone.

5 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

...Wha-why? That sounds like a really freaking stupid as a downside 

It's not. It will prevent players from abusing his crockpot with constant meatballs and will encourage people to cook  and look different recipes all the time. He is a chef after all.

I think he is a balance character with a nice advance in the early game. Some find his portable cookpot OP. It's not! If you compare him with previous character he don't have much advance. Both of his perks could be replace by backpack and cookpot easily after first season;

If you keep trying to bring the portable cookpot with you In late game it will cost you one slot and you need to bring/collect raw material as well. In the another hand you just need to bring 2-3 cooked food or a stack of dried meat and the food problem is solved.

In the end, the idea to nerfing him is bad. It's a single player game, a little OP is fine (which is totally not OP in this case).

3 minutes ago, BravePotato said:

Both of his perks could be replace by backpack and cookpot easily after first season;

This is what I consider as problem. He has stuff that helps in early game, but he won't be much different from other characters in late game. That is why I want "Refuse to eat same meals constantly" as downside, since that would make late game more interesting  in terms of cooking.

28 minutes ago, mitboy said:

This is what I consider as problem. He has stuff that helps in early game, but he won't be much different from other characters in late game. That is why I want "Refuse to eat same meals constantly" as downside, since that would make late game more interesting  in terms of cooking.

The problem is he is definitely not OP and people are trying to make him harder to play.

Look at another vanilla characters, they need to have very strong advance to be receive a neft and that make them have they own playstyle. For example: Wilson is for who seek balance, Willow is for fire maniac, Wendy is for lazy fighter, Wolf gang/Wigfrid is for people who like fighting alot, etc.

What will make me want to play the Chef?

If I want a early balo all I need to do is chop down 4 coconut trees.

If I want to not worry about food in early game I will not choose him. All I need is roasted sweet potato/seaweed/seeds to keep me alive till I build a basic base. Infact I will have a harder time to survive with me because I ihave to look out for cookpot ingredients.

I need something stronger! Like halve the cooking time, or he could slow food spoilage speed.

It seems like he's designed for more extensive early exploration. With other characters you have to prioritize setting up your base and leave revealing the map for later in the game. It seems like with Warly you could be more nomadic for longer. The extra sanity boost from crockpot meals would make it more possible to fight the sanity loss from wetness without settling down. Build some basic stuff off the science machine as you go and you can take the time to find the ideal base location. Sure he has fewer advantages late in the game, but so what? It makes sense that the first few characters introduced make it easier to learn the game in the early stages. 

40 minutes ago, BravePotato said:

The problem is he is definitely not OP and people are trying to make him harder to play.

True. But again, I also want different style of playing, not different stats. So if you want a buff for late game, it also should be something more interesting than just halved cook time.

Archived