Official Warly Discussion Thread

7 hours ago, 4zakken said:

sorry all , i just don't understand some things posted here ....

the poutch : keep the food as a fridge , ok , but you always eat the food before they are spoiling , due to the great hunger rate of his stomac. Men ( and woomen ) , with the all new things you need to carry ( new ingrediant like bamboo , vines , palm , skin etc etc ) and the nautical stuff like boat repair kit , inventory space is a priority , so the chef poutch is not a good perk compare to a basic back pack  ( once again , in my point of view ).

a malus for the non crock pot food : he can carry his crock pot , and can make crock pot recipe at any time , it just demand a few food gathering management , so the malus seams pointless ( has my point of view )

and you want add some buff when he eat some special dish , when the malus seams pointless :-? , i don't get it ...

maybe i don't understand some finer points , but , i am confused ... if you don't forgot your crock pot somewhere , why i should eat some food without cooking them in the crock pot , if you forgot the crok pot .... it's your fault .... honestly , food is everywhere , just go on your boat pick 3 seaweed and add one  monster meat or something like crab meat  ( wich is realy easy to get on putting the trap on the crab when he go underground ) or whatever  , or , i don't know just manage this ....

Warly have a good amount of health , good amount of sanity , that enaugh in my point of view  Warly just need a bit of time / food gathering management , and the good things he can be totaly nomad when you prototype all the things you need ... just prepare yourself to gathering more and spend more time at cooking , land more often for cooking instead doing more exploration etc etc.

I am not salty , i just don't get it.

Simple answer. At the moment Warly is basicly a somewhat stronger Wilson however his kit is just not interesting enought to dufferentiate him from other Chars like WX or Wolfgang for that matter. Atm he's basicly pre Strange New Powers Wolfgang in the sense that he got jacked up stats and a small thing to differentiate him from Wilson.

Also as you said it's far to easy to abuse 1 dish that being Meatballls and good is.

Personally i want more Chars akin to Woodie or Maxwell where i have a decend Startingkit yet the char also has some very interesting abilitys what scale well into the lategame if you as the player master his kit.

That's why i suggested that he gains benefits from different Crockpotdishes to make his kit more interesting to play because after my innitial playthrough i might not pick hom again because his Kit is just to boring to PLay in comparison.

Also im regards of him being OP after a Buff well he still can get a couple ofb downsides. Although he's also unlocked post Wigfrid and shes one of the strongest characters in the game so i expect that chars after her are also at least a bit more interesting bit alas both Walani and Warly atm are more Willowtier in terms of abilitys.

hi mr.P !

yes i know his starting kit become boring if you stay sedentary , but i think give him for exemple +25% damage if he eat meat , make him hitting like wigfried ( its an exemple ). So cook some meat balls , and crush everything ... The dish perk is not a bad idea at all, but balancing it seams hard

My though about shipwrecked's character : they don't need some perk like Maxwell or woodie , but need to have some perks for beeing nomad and for don't make a big sedentary base , because that's what is boring in this game ... once you are installed , you just need to gather some food and maintain your camp or manage the hounds attack .

3 hours ago, Mr.P said:

Personally i want more Chars akin to Woodie or Maxwell where i have a decend Startingkit yet the char also has some very interesting abilitys what scale well into the lategame if you as the player master his kit.

I played with woodie , and it was terrible , have bad time every week , like turn on werebeaver , drop my stuff , then the hurricane wind push my flint , gold and rocks on water and loosing them , or simply gnaw a jungle tree , return to the basic form , but a snake was dropped by the tree then i wake up and snake poison me. Ton's of situation like that

Playing with maxwell remove an important feature of the game ( sanity management ) , its like remove the hunger feature.

Playing with wolfgang is painfull for me , simply because he stop moving when his stomac reach a lower level and said " i am wimpy " , its horrible to be killed or something because he stoped for warming the player about his hunger state.

Most of this kind of perks made something awful ( for finaly beeing more frustrating than fun )  in the game play or make the character OP like wigfried , and this kind of character allready exist contrary to some nomad character.

Honestly , i prefer some basic nomad charcter ( like walani or warly ) , but having more things to do in the world , lava cave exploration , submarine exploration or some stuff like that.

I passed one year with warly , i make a big base camp , explore a little bit , but the game become borring ( after only one year ) , only exploration for find some treasure was cool , but after having all stuff ( or near having all stuff ) , treasure become obsolete.

Sorry for my english , but what i have in mind is a little bit hard to explain in shakespear language for me. I am not complaining , i just explain my point of view , and of course everybody have differents expectation , and i respect this.

Warly is not OP. I survived 40+ days with him so far, and here's my opinion:

I actually starved with Warly a lot of times. Yeah I know, shocking - starving in a game called "Don't Starve". Why? Because he gets really small amount of hunger for raw foods he eats, even if he has 250 Hunger, he has faster hunger rate.

Even with Wes I had no problems getting my belly filled, because I would just hunt butterflies/kill jellyfish and be good. Warly? His stomach isn't affected that much, and there, I'm starving. His cookpot? Yeah, you need to get 4 ingredients to get the hunger value of 5-6 butterflies.

His Pouch? Yeah, it's helpful. Not "OP" kind of helpful, but really good.

Should him eating raw food be nerfed? Sure, do it, but increase buffs from cooked food then. No, not like somebody suggested before, something stupid and random, like "faster movespeed when eating a vegetable dish hurr durr", just increase effects, like, Taffy gives him, let's say +20 Sanity instead of +15. 

Don't nerf him, he's fine.

1 hour ago, 4zakken said:

hi mr.P !

yes i know his starting kit become boring if you stay sedentary , but i think give him for exemple +25% damage if he eat meat , make him hitting like wigfried ( its an exemple ). So cook some meat balls , and crush everything ... The dish perk is not a bad idea at all, but balancing it seams hard

My though about shipwrecked's character : they don't need some perk like Maxwell or woodie , but need to have some perks for beeing nomad and for don't make a big sedentary base , because that's what is boring in this game ... once you are installed , you just need to gather some food and maintain your camp or manage the hounds attack .

I played with woodie , and it was terrible , have bad time every week , like turn on werebeaver , drop my stuff , then the hurricane wind push my flint , gold and rocks on water and loosing them , or simply gnaw a jungle tree , return to the basic form , but a snake was dropped by the tree then i wake up and snake poison me. Ton's of situation like that

Playing with maxwell remove an important feature of the game ( sanity management ) , its like remove the hunger feature.

Playing with wolfgang is painfull for me , simply because he stop moving when his stomac reach a lower level and said " i am wimpy " , its horrible to be killed or something because he stoped for warming the player about his hunger state.

Most of this kind of perks made something awful ( for finaly beeing more frustrating than fun )  in the game play or make the character OP like wigfried , and this kind of character allready exist contrary to some nomad character.

Honestly , i prefer some basic nomad charcter ( like walani or warly ) , but having more things to do in the world , lava cave exploration , submarine exploration or some stuff like that.

I passed one year with warly , i make a big base camp , explore a little bit , but the game become borring ( after only one year ) , only exploration for find some treasure was cool , but after having all stuff ( or near having all stuff ) , treasure become obsolete.

Sorry for my english , but what i have in mind is a little bit hard to explain in shakespear language for me. I am not complaining , i just explain my point of view , and of course everybody have differents expectation , and i respect this.

Again my idea was that the Dishperk only works if the Dish actually fills up hunger and only works for the amount of Hunger the dish fills up so meat balls for example would work for 75 Hungerpoints (Warly looses almost 100 Points worth of Hunger a day) but repeatetly eating the same dish cuts the time down further and further (maybe after eating the same dishe 3 times in a row you don't get any bufftime at all).

This would make his kit just slightly more interesting and also make some rarely used foodrecipes like Meaty Stew or Stuffed Eggplant worth cooking because you can extend the duration of his buffs while doing so

And again my problem is that i find that his kit is more or less underused there is so much potential in his Chef personallity yet we only get a more or less blank slate that has some decend earlygame perks and nothing else to make him feel much more different. I mean why should i pick Warly when i could also pick Wilson who despite lacking the Crockpot and Chef Pouch doesn't starve as quickly has a good way to restore sanity and is still just as mobile even if i can't make Crockpot food on the go.

Also a little something about the 3 guys you mentioned:

- Woodies kit is all centerd around properly dealing with his curse and using the Beaver for maximum gain while you need to transform. That also means keeping a close eye on the Mooncycle (that's why we got that Moonclock next to the daycounter) and prepare for the transformation by putting inportant stuff into chests so it doesn't get blown away.

- Wolfgangs kit is heavily centerd around fighting and keeping his Hunger filled if you have to engage in a fight it's always worth to eat a bit beforehand so that you don't transform into Wimpgang while in combat. Also his sanity problem isn't to bad if you got the right stuff around you (Bees for Taffy or Green Shrooms or just Grass for Strawrolls).

-Maxwells kit is actually not based around him just ignoring Sanity altogether but rather trying to make him go Insane so he has acces to Nightmarefuel for Shadowarmor and Shadowswords as well as the Codex Umbra. He's basicly centerd around getting Magic Items running asap and getting to a point where you get the Nightmarefuel to make Armors and Swords on a regular basis because without them he's to frail to fight a lot of things head on.

And again i don't want Warly to be super OP however what i do want is make him different enought from other Chars so he doesn't feel like a reskinned Wilson with some slight statchanges and maybe 1 or 2 special items instead. Sadly atm this seems to be the course of the SW character trend and it somewhat pains me to see after RoG brought us both Webber and Wigfrid 2 chars that both got a playstyle on their own and have different needs and challenges attached to it.

1 hour ago, Mr.P said:

And again my problem is that i find that his kit is more or less underused there is so much potential in his Chef personallity yet we only get a more or less blank slate that has some decend earlygame perks and nothing else to make him feel much more different. I mean why should i pick Warly when i could also pick Wilson who despite lacking the Crockpot and Chef Pouch doesn't starve as quickly has a good way to restore sanity and is still just as mobile even if i can't make Crockpot food on the go.

Well , maybe i should reconsidering my though after all , and as i said before , it's not a bad idea at all , and thanks for your time and your explanation , that allow me to understand more deep exploitable concept in this game.

1 hour ago, Mr.P said:

Also a little something about the 3 guys you mentioned:

- Woodies kit is all centerd around properly dealing with his curse and using the Beaver for maximum gain while you need to transform. That also means keeping a close eye on the Mooncycle (that's why we got that Moonclock next to the daycounter) and prepare for the transformation by putting inportant stuff into chests so it doesn't get blown away.

- Wolfgangs kit is heavily centerd around fighting and keeping his Hunger filled if you have to engage in a fight it's always worth to eat a bit beforehand so that you don't transform into Wimpgang while in combat. Also his sanity problem isn't to bad if you got the right stuff around you (Bees for Taffy or Green Shrooms or just Grass for Strawrolls).

-Maxwells kit is actually not based around him just ignoring Sanity altogether but rather trying to make him go Insane so he has acces to Nightmarefuel for Shadowarmor and Shadowswords as well as the Codex Umbra. He's basicly centerd around getting Magic Items running asap and getting to a point where you get the Nightmarefuel to make Armors and Swords on a regular basis because without them he's to frail to fight a lot of things head on.

with this characters , i get so frustated so many time for paying more attention on advenced tricks which i consider them as constraints. Thanks for the advices , i will move my ass for let this character some other chance. I will start a new game as wolfgang or woodie this evening and apply the tricks you said to me. That will help me for mastering the game with this features. Maybe should i spoil myself by viewing some stream or video to learn more about this awesome game , but high quality video are kind of hard to find ( i usually find just casual player who don't master the game as you discribe ) , but i will find some if i spend more time in my research.

Thanks for beeing patient and for the advices , cheers.

Just now, 4zakken said:

Well , maybe i should reconsidering my though after all , and i i said , it's not a bad idea at all , and thanks for your time and your explanation , that allow me to understand more deep exploitable concept in this game.

with this characters , i get so frustated so many time for paying more attention on advenced tricks which i consider them as constraints. Thanks for the advices , i will move my ass for let this character some other chance. I will start a new game as wolfgang or woodie this evening and apply the tricks you said to me. That will help me for mastering the game with this features. Maybe should i spoil myself by viewing some stream or video to learn more about this awesome game , but high quality video are kind of hard to find ( i usually find just casual player who don't master the game as you discribe ) , but i will find some if i spend more time in my research.

Thanks for beeing patient and for the advices , cheers.

No problem if you want you can also add me on steam (it's in my signature) if you have more question i'm more then willing to help

3 hours ago, PanAzej said:

I actually starved with Warly a lot of times. Yeah I know, shocking - starving in a game called "Don't Starve". Why? Because he gets really small amount of hunger for raw foods he eats, even if he has 250 Hunger, he has faster hunger rate.

Don't eat raw food then? There is enough easy recipes for early game : Meatballs (1 Meat + 3 Berries/Seaweed, Butter Muffin (1 Butterfly Wings + 1 Seaweed + 2 Twigs/Berries/Seaweed) California Roll (2 Seaweeds + [2 Small Fish Meat or 1 Limpets + 1 Twigs]), Bacon and Eggs (2 Eggs + 1 Morsel + 1 Monster Meat). There is probably more available and all those do not require structures beside the Portable Crockpot

I just came up with another possible buff that would make him more interesting: Make Chef Pounch... a hat. Yes, that simple.

It will give him potential to carry more stuff than any other character (Any backpack+ Chef pounch), and Chef Pounch will still be useful even after obtaining better backpacks in late game.

Not to mention cooler look.

I think it would be fun if everyday or just when he gots very hungry he would want a specific food, that food would have bigger bonuses when consumed, that would work only once. After consuming the 1 food he wanted other of that kind don't give any bonuses.

Yeah...on paper Warly sounds easy to play, I'm on day 51 and I've found he really isn't.  He's a nomad and I was able to do a ton of exploration until monsoon season (I still hadn't found THE island I wanted as a base so I had to make due with a smaller one than I'm used to), and I've found catching up with all I want to have finished has been very strenuous. Due to how quick his hunger runs down and having to make crockpot recipes all the bloody time, whatever I'm doing I'm watching that hunger and constantly go out of my way to get ingredients.

I've played DS for many months now, I know what I'm doing. I've probably been more tired than usual these past several days and so far this has been a less than ideal mapgen for me, but if Warly was so easy and 'OP' I would not be having the hectic trouble I have been.  I know because I've played several Shipwrecked worlds with various characters, and playing with Warly has been especially straining.

All that said, I do quite like him as a character, but not having to constantly crockpot meals all the time is something I'm looking forward to.

20 hours ago, Kuirem said:

Don't eat raw food then? There is enough easy recipes for early game : Meatballs (1 Meat + 3 Berries/Seaweed, Butter Muffin (1 Butterfly Wings + 1 Seaweed + 2 Twigs/Berries/Seaweed) California Roll (2 Seaweeds + [2 Small Fish Meat or 1 Limpets + 1 Twigs]), Bacon and Eggs (2 Eggs + 1 Morsel + 1 Monster Meat). There is probably more available and all those do not require structures beside the Portable Crockpot

You'd need 12 Seaweed and 4 Monster Meat to fill his belly, for example. Not too hard at first, but soon you're going to have some problems with finding filler for your Crockpot. (I'm talking nomadic play, not standard "I'll just stay in the base because I gathered all resources and enjoy sitting in one place" type of play)

Also, you got to find space for your foods. Wanna use that sweet Pouch? Well, that's just 4 slots, all used by food. Hope you enjoy inventory management hell. With his hunger rate, you'll want to keep that Monster Meat and every single berry/fish/seaweed (that's already 3 different stacks of items) for cooking in the future.

New foods like those "California Rolls" etc. have low hunger value, pretty inefficient. Sometimes you just gotta cook those, because you don't have that one filler... But you found a full Limpet Rock and you're desperate with 30 Hunger, draining quite fast.

I'm no expert in SW, because I want to enjoy the game at its release, so I don't play it too much now... Maybe there are some tricks and stuff I don't know about. It was pretty fun playing as Warly though, got to day 52 and died to poison from a poisonous mosquito, running from hounds. Good stuff.

@PanAzej : hi man ! you don't need to entire fill his stomac for don't starve. i played Warly has an nomad , and you can fill his belly , if you land enaugh for that , i know its sometimes annoying , but with a little management , you will do it like a boss ^^ ( just make an good boat and take care of the state of your sail , if the sail break when you are in the middle of nowhere in the sea , it will be very awful ^^ ).

I'm really enjoying playing as Warly. He seems balanced to me as-is; his portable crockpot and mini-icebox seem to be in line with the special talents the core characters have, like Wilson being able to grow out his beard and almost completely ignore winter so long as he doesn't get himself killed by something else. Warly doesn't seem like he needs buffing or nerfing; I do agree that his advantages aren't so special in the late game, but I don't think that's enough of a problem to necessitate adding extra powers to him. If nothing else, I haven't seen any suggestions that would make him stronger in the late game without making him excessively strong in the early game. And his faster hunger drain and lousy returns on non-crockpot food work fine as a drawback as-is, it's actually nontrivial to keep his hunger filled if you're playing nomadically rather than parked in a base with some snake bushes and an ice machine eating an endless supply of iceballs. (They should nerf the ice machine.)

One thing I noticed is that you could really just plonk Warly down in the regular game or Don't Starve Together with no changes (well, one change: the Chef Pouch recipe requires bamboo so you'd have to do something about that) and he'd work just as well as the core characters, unlike Walani, who loses all her advantages apart from slight wetness resistance if you put her in a place with impassable oceans. I immediately started thinking about how useful that portable crockpot would be in Adventure Mode; it's not that hard to get charcoal, sticks, and cut stone, but being able to put down a crockpot wherever you happened to stop for the night is very convenient for exploration. And in DST he'd be very handy to have in your party in the early game because of the instant crockpot.

The one thing that bugs me, though: I don't know how his name is supposed to be pronounced. I've been pronouncing it like Charlie with a W, but that's just my best guess.

I think, I found, what his name refers to.

There is a French word "marli", which means something like "inner side of the plate".

So, according to widely known pun about transforming "m" to "w" we get "warli", and to simulate French pronunciation (note, that French words all pronounced with stress to the last syllable), devs changed it to "warly".

What do you think about this?

2 hours ago, Some1 said:

I think, I found, what his name refers to.

There is a French word "marli", which means something like "inner side of the plate".

So, according to widely known pun about transforming "m" to "w" we get "warli", and to simulate French pronunciation (note, that French words all pronounced with stress to the last syllable), devs changed it to "warly".

What do you think about this?

I just think this is awesome!

i dont understand how you guys can starve. i mean i always find tons of food and it all rots because i cant eat them. One round of monkey hunting gives me 20-30 bananas and morsels. it is clearly impossible to starve in a game called don't starve.

First time I heard of him I thought he'd be OP, but turns out he really isn't. 

His portable crock pot is very handy, yes: you can not only have food on the go, which lets you roam more without needing to go to your base, but potentially get the exact food you need (so, healing on the go etc.). 

But it's really not an insane perk. Most of the time I find myself regularly visiting my base anyway, whether it's to dump collected resources, learn a recipe or just because I need my chimnea (exploring during the hurricane seasons burns a LOT of resources). So the portable crock pot actually ends up being a semi-stationary crockpot anyway.

Warly's pouch I put away pretty early because I needed the backpack slots/armor much more. 

If he were to be nerfed I really think he'd be weak. 

To me, a fun character is not about how easy/hard I find playing it. It is about how the character's perk affect the way I play the game.

Truth is all characters in ROG/SW can stay alive without a crockpot. Nomadic style is harder to stave to dead frankly.

Different characters should have different strategy and challenge. Thats what makes a character interesting.

Walani has a unique early game development that I find interesting.

Warly force me to rely on crockpot and eat less jerky.

Both have something unique to offer that changes my SW experience. I think they are both good characters.

Some people seems to believe easy character= bad character. You know what character I dislike the most? Wes. Makes no change to my game, eat a little more food, fight drag a little longer. Exactly the same base build as with Wilson, exactly the same way of resource production, exactly the same way to deal with hostile mobs, it is what I call boring. 

Archived