Official Warly Discussion Thread

The portable crockpot is enough to beat his advantage of not receiving the same hunger values from the cooked food.

His pouch is very op, Its a Insuled pack with a very easy recipe.

Gain Sanity and hunger bonus from crockpot food.

Have 150 Health make him not so Squishy

So he is op.

17 minutes ago, SenhorLevi00 said:

The portable crockpot is enough to beat his advantage of not receiving the same hunger values from the cooked food.

So he is op.

honestly , look at Maxwell , with great sanity recover , big armour and sword at start , can kill a boss on day one. 75 hp ? just wear an armour , ... what else , webber is realy strong , wickerbottom is great too ... i don't understand :confused:

2 minutes ago, 4zakken said:

honestly , look at Maxwell , with great sanity recover , big armour and sword at start , can kill a boss on day one. 75 hp ? just wear an armour , ... what else , webber is realy strong , wickerbottom is great too ... i don't understand :confused:

All characters can kill a boss on day one, Maxwell has a Ultra HIgh Sanity and Low Health. His advantanges and disadvantages are explicit.

In shipwrecked there's no lack of food, so you can always make crockpot dishes. I agree with the guys that told to make him crockpot food only or make him take penalties like sanity loss when eating cooked food on the fire.

3 minutes ago, Swabbleman said:

Definitely in favor of the food fatigue idea, a gourmet should strive for a variety of dishes and it would be a great encouragement to cook all the different recipes, something I usually don't do a lot.

Me neither, only the good old meat ball  XD

24 minutes ago, SenhorLevi00 said:

Even with the Portable Crockpot and the bonus hunger from Crockpot food he still has to eat ~10% more than the other character. The time saved by not having to go back to your base to cook will barely make it up for the time it takes to farm the extra ingredients. This is even worse when you realize that most high Hunger recipes require structures to cook in large amount (Honey, Eggs, Dragonfruit..) so you have to come back to your base anyway.

On that I can agree and I think it is his best perk. Of course it also means that you limit your available inventory by not using Backpack, Piggyback or Krampus Sack. Is it OP? Right now I am tempted to say yes because there is no Ice Chester or Insulated Pack so it is a unique and really useful item. Let's say it is a strong item. The recipe does not matter since you start with one.

I already mentioned that the Hunger part does not really matter but the extra Sanity (and Health by the way) is really good since it saves time and resources.

That's just the average value not much to say here.

So he is op.

No he is not. I do not understand why everyone is saying that. All his perks does is allowing him to control his Hunger a bit easier but Hunger is already easy in SW. How can you say that he is OP compared to Wigfrid that can destroy anyone on her path while completely ignoring her Sanity and Health or Wickerbottom that have such an easy start? Even WX despite all the water since the effect of the Pouch is basically built in with his ability to eat spoiled food.

The character is strong for beginner but pretty much useless (or at least not better than a Wilson) for any experienced player that aim for time efficiency and late game. What is interesting though is that he allows a completely nomadic gameplay (since he has a portable Icebox and Crockpot) and the more I discuss about him the more I think it is his true purpose.

3 minutes ago, Kuirem said:

Even with the Portable Crockpot and the bonus hunger from Crockpot food he still has to eat ~10% more than the other character. The time saved by not having to go back to your base to cook will barely make it up for the time it takes to farm the extra ingredients. This is even worse when you realize that most high Hunger recipes require structures to cook in large amount (Honey, Eggs, Dragonfruit..) so you have to come back to your base anyway.

On that I can agree and I think it is his best perk. Of course it also means that you limit your available inventory by not using Backpack, Piggyback or Krampus Sack. Is it OP? Right now I am tempted to say yes because there is no Ice Chester or Insulated Pack so it is a unique and really useful item. Let's say it is a strong item. The recipe does not matter since you start with one.

I already mentioned that the Hunger part does not really matter but the extra Sanity (and Health by the way) is really good since it saves time and resources.

That's just the average value not much to say here.

No he is not. I do not understand why everyone is saying that. All his perks does is allowing him to control his Hunger a bit easier but Hunger is already easy in SW. How can you say that he is OP compared to Wigfrid that can destroy anyone on her path while completely ignoring her Sanity and Health or Wickerbottom that have such an easy start? Even WX despite all the water since the effect of the Pouch is basically built in with his ability to eat spoiled food.

The character is strong for beginner but pretty much useless (or at least not better than a Wilson) for any experienced player that aim for time efficiency and late game. What is interesting though is that he allows a completely nomadic gameplay (since he has a portable Icebox and Crockpot) and the more I discuss about him the more I think it is his true purpose.

Good point there! I was waiting to someone say all these things!

That's what i would say , with less details . By the way , i reached the flooding season with him , i don't use his pouch , i prefer armour or back pack. the food don't have time to spoil , because obviously he is always need to eat. i just dropped the pouch and use it as a seed container XD.

With his crock pot , i don't care about flooding in my base and i go to a nomad way for more exploring , you just need to land a little bit more than other character for cooking some stuff, that demand a little bit of exploration management , but its not painfull.

I am french , so i love cooking and eating , and warly his my favorite character now ^^ , i really love him and his look is awesome.

So far i like his earlygame perks for the reason that i can explore for a wee bit longer before having to settle because SW gives me a lot of foodtypes in a good amount to create different dishes to deal with different stat problems (low Hunger go for Meatballs, low HP go for Fishsticks) and i like the fact that i can live a lot more nomadic until i find a good island to build a few things.

However this doesn't mean that he's super interesting yes he's more geared towards being always on the move and his perks certaintly help him more in a RoG start but otherwise he has no other extreme upsides.

I like the idea of him getting Statbuffs depending on what type of dish he eats as this also can make players go out of their way to cook specific dishes since they might give him a benefit that can be very usefull. The thing is that it could be difficult to implement depending if it should be done on a dish by dish basis (eg Meatballs have a different Buff then Meaty Stew even if they both are meatdishes) or if it's depending on the type of dish (what could make diary productfoods like Waffles and Icecream more desireable to cook).

Basicly my loved changes to him would be that

-Each type of Dish gives him a different kind of buff could be stuff like faster walking, hitting harder, sanity regeneration or just working faster as this encourages varying more in the types of dishes you cook to get different buffs going for him

- He should receive a slight sanity penalty if he eats non crockpotdishes i mean he already got a phrase for doing so might as well give him -5 sanity or something among the lines for doing that (would also tie well with his higher sanity).

Also his Chefpouch and Crockpot should be left untouched they are fine as is at may maybe have the option to upgrade them with lategame materials (like upgrading his Crockpot with Obsidian to make it cook faster).

2 minutes ago, WillPwn4Food said:

Since Wicker has already claimed the spoiled food debuff, what if Warly loses sanity for all uncooked foods (even non meat foods) and a little less sanity for cooked? It would make sense that eating such bland meals would drive a chef like him crazy.

But It would make us abuse meatballs even more.

So took a walk and let the "buff from food" idea run through my head specialy considering that we need to encourage varying in foods

So here is my idea. Each time Warly eats a dish he gets a buff depending on the dish. These would be as followed

-Meatdish: 25% more damage

-Veggydish: 15% more Movementspeed

-Fishdish: 15% faster workspeed (stuff like chopping trees and mining rocks)

-Fruitdish: Liferegen (2 HP every 5 seconds)

-Diarydish: Sanityregen (4 points every 5 seconds)

The buffs would be represented through his Hungerbar basicly changing color to the type of dish you ate (for example a meatdish turns it red) and it would work for the amount of time that it takes to drain the Hunger of that specific dish (so his Faster hungerdrain also has a deal in his ability).

Now for how to not abuse that with simple dishes like Meatballs or Seafoodgumbo. Each time you repeat to eat the same food the bufftime gets cut in half so for example Rattatioule gives 30 Hungerpoints (that's the value for Walry) worth of buff but when you eat it again it only gives 15 and eating it again will lower it down to 7.5 points worth of bufftime. To restore the timer Walry has to eat different types of dishes or not eat that specific dish for a given amount of time.

This would make cooking a lot more important and varying foods a lot more interesting to keep the buffs going.

A few more points tough

- Only 1 buff can be active at any given time so you can't just eat different fooddishes to get pimped out in terms of buffs. Eating a different dish will apply the new buff but cancel out the old one.

- You have to fill the Hungerbar with the buffdish to make it count meaning eating at full Hunger won't give you the buff

- Some dishes can count as 2 types (California Rolls for example could count as both as a fish and veggy dish).

Just some random ideas to make him a lot more interesting and fun to play.

59 minutes ago, Mr.P said:

Basicly my loved changes to him would be that

-Each type of Dish gives him a different kind of buff could be stuff like faster walking, hitting harder, sanity regeneration or just working faster as this encourages varying more in the types of dishes you cook to get different buffs going for him

- He should receive a slight sanity penalty if he eats non crockpotdishes i mean he already got a phrase for doing so might as well give him -5 sanity or something among the lines for doing that (would also tie well with his higher sanity).

Also his Chefpouch and Crockpot should be left untouched they are fine as is at may maybe have the option to upgrade them with lategame materials (like upgrading his Crockpot with Obsidian to make it cook faster).

Wow , after that he will be op ... why he will eat some none crock pot food by having a portable crock that he can carry anywhere ? Some buff will provide some dish abuse ...

wow you posted a new message when i did this one ^^

" - Some dishes can count as 2 types (California Rolls for example could count as both as a fish and veggy dish). " , that will be more op ... :shock:

Warly is awesome, not only for having his own crock pot but for being such a cool character. I'm guessing he's Haitian? Since it looks like he speaks French, but that could be a couple islands. The diversity in the characters of Shipwrecked is great. I personally like Walani as well because she's my BA pirate queen, and both characters have their strengths. 

Well, as the official back story writer for Klei; I can officially reveal the following:

Warly was an immigrant from Tobago during 1910's; who owned a restaurant that William Carter once visited.

Unfortunately William Carter got food poisoning on the night before a big show after eating at his restaurant.

HOWEVER; it wasn't Warly that cooked the food; the sous chef did! But Maxwell cursed him to Don't Stavia for that bout of salmonella...

I agree that Warly is OP. My suggestions:

-50% hunger values for raw food

-65% hunger values for non-crockpot dishes, his portable pot easily allows him to cook dishes quickly and easily

-Instead of 120% hunger bonus from crockpot meals, give each type a different bonus, as said before, but my ideas are slightly different:

Meaty meals- 33% less hunger drain for half a day

Vegetable/fruit meals- followers follow warly for 30% longer for a day

Monster dishes- monsters won't bother warly for 3 minutes

Seafood- 15% more sailing speed for 4 minutes

Other category-less crockpot meals (taffy, powdercakes)- lessen sanity drain

Hello again! I've looked at some of the responses and such and I've been doing some thinking on late game potential instead of a first look reaction type that my first post was. I have actually changed my judgement a bit on the character, and I still believe they should nerf the hunger gain from non crock pot food to make it so he can't just coast through early game easy peasy, but I do believe that both Warly and Walani could use better late game potential.

Right now, Warly and Walani remind me of slightly more complex characters from pre Strange New Powers update. Before that, most of the characters were basically Wilson with a small trick. (EX: WX - 78 couldn't eat gears to upgrade himself and had no System Overload, but he had Wilson stats and ability to eat spoiled or stale food without penalties, forgive me if I'm wrong, memory's a bit off.) Seeing Warly and Walani getting that sort of treatment would likely make them much more interesting characters depending on what changes they made. As for what changes? I wouldn't be too certain at the moment. I would enjoy seeing something relating to crock pots or their various recipes.

sorry all , i just don't understand some things which are posted here ....

the poutch : keep the food as a fridge , ok , but you always eat the food before they are spoiling , due to the great hunger rate of his stomac. Men ( and woomen ) , with the all new things you need to carry ( new ingrediant like bamboo , vines , palm , skin etc etc ) and the nautical stuff like boat repair kit , inventory space is a priority , so the chef poutch is not a good perk compare to a basic back pack  ( once again , in my point of view ).

a malus for the non crock pot food : he can carry his crock pot , and can make crock pot recipe at any time , it just demand a few food gathering management , so the malus seams pointless ( has my point of view )

and you want add some buff when he eat some special dish , when the malus seams pointless :-? , i don't get it ...

maybe i don't understand some finer points , but , i am confused ... if you don't forgot your crock pot somewhere , why i should eat some food without cooking them in the crock pot , if you forgot the crok pot .... it's your fault .... honestly , food is everywhere , just go on your boat pick 3 seaweed and add one  monster meat or something like crab meat  ( wich is realy easy to get on putting the trap on the crab when he go underground ) or whatever  , or , i don't know just manage this ....

Warly have a good amount of health , good amount of sanity , that enaugh in my point of view  Warly just need a bit of time / food gathering management , and the good things he can be totaly nomad when you prototype all the things you need ... just prepare yourself to gathering more and spend more time at cooking , land more often for cooking instead doing more exploration etc etc.

I am not salty , i just don't get it.

Archived