Why do backpacks rot?

Playing in the caves beta, I've noticed that if you leave a custom backpack on the ground for a few minutes, it turns into a 'rotten pack.' This is a bit of a problem, since the chest slot is good for a lot of clothes, and if you want to use any of them you need to leave your backpack on the ground. I'm guessing that the reason backpacks rot like this is to prevent someone from having a skinned backpack that they do not own themselves, but wouldn't it be better if packs only rotted when someone picks them up who does not have the requisite skin? Plus, you could leave different packs on the ground for different situations, like a pack with caving equipment in it, and a different looking one with building stuff, etc.

Side note: does anyone know how rare the smallbird backpack is? My brother got it as literally his first drop.

Side note: does anyone know how rare the smallbird backpack is? My brother got it as literally his first drop.

the smallbird pack is relatively rare,  Ive got enough stuff to trade for it, including two nearly as rare backpacks.

It's really annoying to have to remake my custom backpack whenever I decide to use torso items like the summer frest or the puffy vest.
Yeah it's almost as if Klei just wants to us to use hats and thermal stones and never use those items that probably had a lot of time invested in making them almost as if they want them to become the new piggybacks.

It'd be nice if I could restore the backpack when it rotted or if it only rotted when someone else takes it.
It would be nice if you owned the backpack it would unrot it's self when you picked it up cause I sometimes like giving these custom backpacks to my friends cause it's called don't starve together(and look fabulous together) for a reason. ^_^ 
It's really annoying to have to remake my custom backpack whenever I decide to use torso items like the summer frest or the puffy vest.
Yeah it's almost as if Klei just wants to us to use hats and thermal stones and never use those items that probably had a lot of time invested in making them almost as if they want them to become the new piggybacks.

It'd be nice if I could restore the backpack when it rotted or if it only rotted when someone else takes it.
It would be nice if you owned the backpack it would unrot it's self when you picked it up cause I sometimes like giving these custom backpacks to my friends cause it's called don't starve together(and look fabulous together) for a reason. ^_^ 

I also think they should definitly change the rotting. At least it should take longer when you havent equiped the backpack. In winter and summer i ofter wear vests for exploring and trips outside the camp. And it is so annoying to craft a new backpack every time i wear the vest for a few days. 

I think they should add the extra slot.. like the mod.. Extra Equip slots Api edition.. oh and stop backpack rotting

This will destroy gameplay. Never gonna happen. If you want this game to be easy use mods plz

Rotting is ok IMO and it is definitely not annoying to use few twigs/grass for new backpack :DDD Still better than everyone using your "precious" backpack skin .)

I assumed it was a glitch in the skin system rather than an intentional feature, because no one at Klei said anything about preventing players from giving each other custom backpacks. It also seems to be doing more harm than good, which doesn't seem like the kind of thing they would want to put in. At the very least, if it's intentional it's unusually badly implemented. (For a while I thought the rotten backpack was an actual skin, just an ugly one that few people would want, but unlike the Poop Bag I haven't heard of it dropping for anybody.)

I actually haven't had the problem where it immediately rots when left on the ground briefly, but if I leave it more than a screen or two out of my sight for more than a day or two of game time with no one else watching it, it goes from an adorable novelty smallbird-themed backpack to a grody rotten sack. I haven't had problems with it going rotten when I put on armour to fight something, or wear a Floral Shirt for a while in summer, so long as I can still see the backpack at least occasionally throughout the game day. For me, backpack rot generally happens with backpacks I made for my friends when they were too busy exploring to pick it up, but once I died next to a MacTusk camp (twice, since he shot me again when I tried to retrieve my stuff) and then couldn't get back to my stuff until spring; it had turned into the rotten skin by then, so I burned it and made a new one. When my friends do actually wear their smallbird backpacks, they seem to work; I don't recall any complaints from them about the backpack changing skins when they take it off.

The newest patch may actually have fixed or improved this? I was trying to deliberately invoke the rotten backpack thing last time I played DST so I could send a bug report about it, but I couldn't get it to happen.

(As for the rarity of the Smallbird Satchel: It was the first backpack skin I got, but it's also literally the only Elegant item I have, so take that as you will.)

Archived