Volcano Season got nerfed to the GROUND.

For those of you who haven't tried the new summer yet, I'll go ahead and save you the time to test it.  Its brain-dead easy now.  With as little as a Log Suite and  Football Helmet, you can tank nearly all of the damage from a meteor, and still have enough durability left to tank one or maybe even 2 more meteors.  Too add to that, they fall so slowly now that dodging them is ridiculously easy.  The only challenge left in the season is having to survive away from your base, and the relatively mild heat.  I feel like this was a knee-jerk reaction to how much people seemed to think the old version was impossible (It wasnt.. like at all.) Unless you have no idea what your doing and lose your structures (its not like it was the first mechanic in don't starve that would wipe your base if you weren't prepared), the new version is ridiculously easy to deal with.  I honestly preffered the old version, at least it was somewhat thrilling.  Feel free to test it yourself, the command is c_erupt() spawn yourself in some basic armor and try it for yourself.  The only way a meteor will kill you is if your not wearing armor, and they're even easier to dodge than before anyway.

(It wasnt.. like at all.

You want 3000 damage meteors that fall so quickly you can't see them during the night with the intense ash fog, making you rely on a bug (that made boats invincible against meteor direct hits)?

I saw a lot of people that said "just dodge them" get sniped by meteors on land.

They also got sniped on water, but boats were impervious (which was absurd), so they survived.

The previous iteration was broken.

Suggest another alternative.

You want 3000 damage meteors that fall so quickly you can't see them during the night with the intense ash fog, making you rely on a bug (that made boats invincible against meteor direct hits)?

Yes!!! I'd love it back, but without the bug.

Yes!!! I'd love it back, but without the bug.

Then you are going to get sniped on your boat.

Some visual help needs to be introduced:

- Extremely dark shadow so you can't mistake it in any way with the fog at night

- Tiny rocks falling on the place the meteor will land beforehand

- Some ball of light, or lightning, or a ball of flames, or any other distinct cue

And, I dont think the first version was the best possible iteration, while I really liked it I understand many people didnt like the instant death nature of it. But, the new version is brain-dead easy. No question.

Then there's some fine tuning to do in the timings, the long wait is necessary so your eye can perceive the changing shadow in the middle of the fog.

Instant death without being able to prepare for it doesn't fit in Don't Starve, where you can prepare for anything.

If you could enter the volcano to appease it, then the story would be different.

I think that we should await for the volcanic caves and see how they would behave on the Dry Season, they may be and place where you can run to during the season so you can survive in a base withou geting sniped by gigant balls of death in exchange to the EXTREME HEAT!

I agree, but to be fair, they probably just made a few quick adjustments and wanted to rush this out so people wouldn't have to continue to be very mad for long. It has to be mortifying to hear that you might have accidentally made part of your game brutally unplayable.

The fact of the matter is, a lot of people were not having fun with the old version. Not everyone who plays this DLC is going to be a super veteran pro. So I'm just going to have some patience while the devs think more about tweaking the balance as time goes on, but I'm sure there are people who really appreciate this change for what it is right now (even though personally, I do miss the old challenge).

The devs have a lot of people's opinions and desires about the game to consider, so it's great to voice your opinion but putting some effort toward understanding their methods for the alpha right now is a nice thing to do too  :wilson_smile:

Why not just double/triple the intensity of the meteor strikes? If you're standing near your base it's screwed anyway, at least  then you'd actually have to actively avoid them as your falling. Short, violent eruptions (without dunking your ass in one shot) sound like the best option to me.

I agree, but to be fair, they probably just made a few quick adjustments and wanted to rush this out so people wouldn't have to continue to be very mad for long. It has to be mortifying to hear that you might have accidentally made part of your game brutally unplayable.

The fact of the matter is, a lot of people were not having fun with the old version. Not everyone who plays this DLC is going to be a super veteran pro. So I'm just going to have some patience while the devs think more about tweaking the balance as time goes on, but I'm sure there are people who really appreciate this change for what it is right now (even though personally, I do miss the old challenge).

The devs have a lot of people's opinions and desires about the game to consider, so it's great to voice your opinion but putting some effort toward understanding their methods for the alpha right now is a nice thing to do too  :wilson_smile:

This is pretty dead on.

I didn't mind the volcano season overall, but the instant death from invisible meteors (well, meteors you couldn't see because of the thick ash fog) was excessively annoying. The game is about doing what's necessary to survive, and overcoming the challenges and hurdles to surviving as long as possible. Throwing in a totally random instant death event is so totally against the premise of Don't Starve it's ridiculous. Barring the boat bug (which I did not know about before), unavoidable instant death has nothing to do with surviving...it's just flat out annoying as there is no defense against it...it's just random and pointless.

Just as annoying as the issue with the hyperdestructive hail and useless walls. 

As many players are speculating there could be a future option to stop the volcano eruptions.

With said option the original volcano season is perfectly fine. It's hell to go through but still manageable and avoidable if you are prepared enough to sacrifice things.

However this option isn't implemented right now so Klei could have just nerfed the volcano season into the ground. I hope the punishing volcano eruptions come back after the sacrifice is present.

How about we move on from meteors and leave them as they are now?

What we need is something else in summer. Meteors before was BS because you couldn't PLAY the game you had to circle around for too much time. We need some special summer behaviour like McTusk in DS winter or some new type of food that grows only in summer like cactus flowers in DS summer OR mobs changing and dropping different items like dogs in DS winter/summer.

Stop thinking that SW summer = meteors!

Remind me how fun it is when ROG first released. It was before the nerf on summer/smoothing/overheating.

In my very first ROG playthrough I lose my base to fire. That happened because I didn't even know about the smoothing.

The next run I have better idea. I remove all the trees/grass and etc around my base and get an ice staff early. I didn't build the ice flingomatic because in my first run I've built it and it did almost nothing. That run was really fun from fighting smoothing things in base.

And then they nerfed it :C.

Now summer for me is like, I turn on the ice flingomatic, get my stuff and into the wild for ... nothing. So I go back to my base and sit by the endothermic fire and wait for the next hound attack.

It is relaxing sitting by the blue fire eating ice cream. Just not the exciting experience that I have once enjoyed.

As many players are speculating there could be a future option to stop the volcano eruptions.

With said option the original volcano season is perfectly fine. It's hell to go through but still manageable and avoidable if you are prepared enough to sacrifice things.

However this option isn't implemented right now so Klei could have just nerfed the volcano season into the ground. I hope the punishing volcano eruptions come back after the sacrifice is present.

Yes I hope the current state of eruption is just temporary, otherwise sacrifices will be of no real use.

And what a nice mechanic sacrifices will be.

Because you first need to find the volcano, eruptions could become gradually worst over time, like frog rain. Your first summer would be fine and not really challenging like it is now (and would act just as an introduction to the mechanic), but the third one (assuming that you have discovered the volcano) it becomes mandatory and life-saving to sacrifice stuff because you're being blitzkrieg by the volcano.   

I tought summer was brutal because everyone was complaining about it so much. Reached summer and didnt understand these guys. Of course it is hard but if you are a good player and have skill you can dodge every meteor. I didnt had any problems with it. Now it is really easy. I think they should make less erruptions but increase the rate of meteors. But after adding world generation everyone could change it how they want it.

I tought summer was brutal because everyone was complaining about it so much. Reached summer and didnt understand these guys. Of course it is hard but if you are a good player and have skill you can dodge every meteor. I didnt had any problems with it. Now it is really easy. I think they should make less erruptions but increase the rate of meteors. But after adding world generation everyone could change it how they want it.

Dealing with meteors WAS NEVER THE PROBLEM ... game feature that force you to actually not play the game and circle around like retard for 2h was! :)

Then you are going to get sniped on your boat.

Some visual help needs to be introduced:

- Extremely dark shadow so you can't mistake it in any way with the fog at night

- Tiny rocks falling on the place the meteor will land beforehand

- Some ball of light, or lightning, or a ball of flames, or any other distinct cue

Then there's some fine tuning to do in the timings, the long wait is necessary so your eye can perceive the changing shadow in the middle of the fog.

Instant death without being able to prepare for it doesn't fit in Don't Starve, where you can prepare for anything.

If you could enter the volcano to appease it, then the story would be different.

Hi DarkXero,

personally I would leave the volcano bombs as they are right now,

BUT

add a sanity or health drain effect to the volcano ash/fog,

so that you have to craft and wear the gasmask to not get damaged slowly (or sanity drained).

That would make sense, because that much ash isnt very good for Wilsons lungs

and it would take away his head slot for a gasmask (that barely anyone uses right now).

So you have to decide:

- Will you use a football helmet and a bagpack, if you have to fight/survive

(hounds, volcano bombs, etc.) and get damaged/drained by the ash clouds?

- Or do you wear the gasmask and a log suit/seashell suit,

but you loose the additional bagpack item slots?

- Or are you a crazy maniac that don´t need any kind of armor,

so gasmask and bagpack for you my crazy friend. ^^

That would change the playstyles of people more and the volcano season

would gain some kind of atomic wastleand feel, where you have to filter your air.

The gas mask is already there, please Klei and Capy make good use of it.

Dealing with meteors WAS NEVER THE PROBLEM ... game feature that force you to actually not play the game and circle around like retard for 2h was! :)

To be honest I never felt like I was forced to circle around for 2 hours aimlessly, I just hopped in my boat and did some trawl netting, exploring, and food gathering. It was really dangerous but that was the fun ^^

To be honest I never felt like I was forced to circle around for 2 hours aimlessly, I just hopped in my boat and did some trawl netting, exploring, and food gathering. It was really dangerous but that was the fun ^^

I spent the whole dry season on trawl netting too. I do that to farm obsidian.

It is boring to do it for 2 hours thou. I do feel sleepy after that.

Trawling for obsidian is basically the volcano season chore. It's the only time you can get obsidian, and you might as well stockpile as much of it as you can for the next few seasons. 

The thing that annoys me about these games in general is the random instant death. That's not a survival thing, it's just random pointlessness. They can make the game difficult, but I ALWAYS want a way to survive the challenges, some solution to the problems faced. One hit meteor death is just dumb. I am not saying take away meteors, just don't make them kill me instantly every time I don't see the shadow in order to get out of the way, because the ash fog is so thick and the meteor shadow practically no-existent, that you simply cannot see it.

ANYWAY they buff them to this so we can actually play and do something else in summer than circle around forever and they will change it when they add Volcano/Lava caves and Volcano god (or something of this kind) which is the other part of these meteors. So keep calm and play until next update :)

The original volcano mechanic presented some challenge to an otherwise uneventful season. It's true that they were a bit too destructive and frequent/numerous, which I'm grateful was changed. But I think they were moved too far in the other direction and are now a simple annoyance. The meteor showers in Don't Starve Together are a good compromise, as you can still get pelted by rocks if you're unlucky or not paying attention, but it's not instant doom.

Regarding dodging missiles at night, I think it would make a lot of sense for the glow of the volcano to illuminate the earth during an eruption similar to how the full moon functions. When the eruption subsides, darkness can return.

Archived