Volcano Season got nerfed to the GROUND.

I dont know why people assert that you couldnt see meteors before.  That's simply not true.  They were tricky to spot sure, but not impossible.  And really, it was the speed of them before that made it tough. You really had to be quick on the spot.  Lose focus for a second and you might not notice the shadow and get squashed.

I dont know why people assert that you couldnt see meteors before.

They could see the ones that didn't kill them, of course.

That's simply not true. They were tricky to spot sure, but not impossible.

They were tricky and had no legitimate counterplay beyond getting hit on a boat to get 0 damage.

You really had to be quick on the spot. Lose focus for a second and you might not notice the shadow and get squashed.

The meteors took 2 seconds between appearing and smashing a spot.

Average reaction time is 0.25 seconds for visual stimulus.

If you don't have a shadow cast directly on a clear beach floor with no objects on the way and no ash fog, those 0.25 start to add up.

1 second pushing a key isn't enough to run away from inside the shadow. On the edge, you barely escape.

So you have 3 tries to see the meteor all within a 1 second timeframe.

3 tries to see if that was a grey shadow circle or a grey shadow cloud in the fog.

And then add up the reaction time needed to click the mouse or push a key.

That without considering people that react slower, or people that just happened to observe anything else in the screen, like a hound, a bee, a pig, a tree, a fire, another meteor, whatever.

So yeah, it was extremely close, and you couldn't prepare for it. Bullet hells are definitely not for everyone.

This Volcano season nerf is a joke!  Volcano season in its original form was fine, the only thing that really needed to be done was make you able to be damaged on a boat and yeah maybe scale down the dmg a little so its not a one hit kill BUT what they have done is ridiculous.  Its not even hard anymore.  Its become an inconvenience instead of a challenge.  Now instead of wondering is this going to be the season that kills me I think oh gotta sail around for 20 seconds and then back to life as normal.  Ive become unkillable again and npw the only thing in SW that can kill me is my own stupidity.  That is what made Don't Starve and RoG boring after awhile.  Personally for me a game is not fun if I can't be killed by it.

This is only the introduction of the game and already they've nerfed the first challenging thing about it.  When you stop and consider what they have given us so far this is the beginning the mildest of what the game has to offer.  This is the easy part people and the developers are looking at us thinking "Well they couldn't even handle the mildest of the environmental challenges." What does that say about future content.  They will probably nerf all that into the ground as well.  We need to stop catering to the bottom end of the spectrum of players who can't "figure" things out.  Honestly this is now the 3rd or even 4th (if you include Together) iteration of the game, and by now it should be getting harder not easier.  I guess Im alone in this thinking but when I purchase DLC or a sequel to a game I want that to harder than the original not easier or on par. 

Now you might say "well we aren't all experts at the game," or "this is the first time I've ever played Don't Starve" and to that my answer is this: There are two other versions you can play, Vanilla Don't Starve and Reign of Giants.  Maybe you should play those first before moving on to the big boy stuff.  I understand a company's desire to invite new players and gain a wider audience but this is DLC people which means you own the original and should play that first.  Otherwise don't jump into the deep end and say "Its too hard." 

Personally this Volcano season nerf has really ruined the game thus far and really sucked all of the challenge fun out of the game.  This game got really boring really quick and if the future development of this game continues in this fashion, a really fun game idea is going to get SUPER boring quick.   

Edit:  also I'd like to add that all changes to the game are WAY too severe.  Seaweed too OP nerfed into the ground(im alright with this one actually, would have been too much of a crutch), Volcano season to inconvenient for a few BAM nerfed into the ground, people don't explore and can't find the 3(and really the only that you need) Clockwork boats BAM more clockworks than you can ever possibly need.  I mean Im filling up a chest with nothing but gears, their useless. Im not WX and even if I was I'd be done after the first three still.  Too much slight adjustments please.

This Volcano season nerf is a joke!  Volcano season in its original form was fine, the only thing that really needed to be done was make you able to be damaged on a boat and yeah maybe scale down the dmg a little so its not a one hit kill BUT what they have done is ridiculous.  Its not even hard anymore.  Its become an inconvenience instead of a challenge.  Now instead of wondering is this going to be the season that kills me I think oh gotta sail around for 20 seconds and then back to life as normal.  Ive become unkillable again and npw the only thing in SW that can kill me is my own stupidity.  That is what made Don't Starve and RoG boring after awhile.  Personally for me a game is not fun if I can't be killed by it.

This is only the introduction of the game and already they've nerfed the first challenging thing about it.  When you stop and consider what they have given us so far this is the beginning the mildest of what the game has to offer.  This is the easy part people and the developers are looking at us thinking "Well they couldn't even handle the mildest of the environmental challenges." What does that say about future content.  They will probably nerf all that into the ground as well.  We need to stop catering to the bottom end of the spectrum of players who can't "figure" things out.  Honestly this is now the 3rd or even 4th (if you include Together) iteration of the game, and by now it should be getting harder not easier.  I guess Im alone in this thinking but when I purchase DLC or a sequel to a game I want that to harder than the original not easier or on par. 

Now you might say "well we aren't all experts at the game," or "this is the first time I've ever played Don't Starve" and to that my answer is this: There are two other versions you can play, Vanilla Don't Starve and Reign of Giants.  Maybe you should play those first before moving on to the big boy stuff.  I understand a company's desire to invite new players and gain a wider audience but this is DLC people which means you own the original and should play that first.  Otherwise don't jump into the deep end and say "Its too hard." 

Personally this Volcano season nerf has really ruined the game thus far and really sucked all of the challenge fun out of the game.  This game got really boring really quick and if the future development of this game continues in this fashion, a really fun game idea is going to get SUPER boring quick.   

Edit:  also I'd like to add that all changes to the game are WAY too severe.  Seaweed too OP nerfed into the ground(im alright with this one actually, would have been too much of a crutch), Volcano season to inconvenient for a few BAM nerfed into the ground, people don't explore and can't find the 3(and really the only that you need) Clockwork boats BAM more clockworks than you can ever possibly need.  I mean Im filling up a chest with nothing but gears, their useless. Im not WX and even if I was I'd be done after the first three still.  Too much slight adjustments please.

If the game is to easy for you make your own challanges:

- only eat vegetarian meals

- use an unfamiliar char (willow, wx without gears, etc.)

- never build an alchemy engine (brane hat) and try to survive only with science machine tech

- only fight without armor/helmets like a naked man

- never fight by yourself, use always monkeys, pigs or traps

- kill nothing that moves and try to survive

- use a mod char that isn´t OP as crazy...there are some in the workshop...maybe 3 or 4...maybe

- etc.

If you are to good and get bored, think about fun challanges an make your experience cooler.

If you are to good and get bored, think about fun challanges an make your experience cooler.

Welcome to the snooze fest people.  I want the game to challenge me, not me challenge me.  If I(or anyone for that matter) has to "invent" a challenge it means the game is poorly made and isn't challenging on its own.  This is a poor man's solution to what shouldn't even be a problem is what I'm saying.  It's the developers responsibility to challenge me as a gamer not mine, otherwise I don't play your game.  Thats how it works. 

Welcome to the snooze fest people.  I want the game to challenge me, not me challenge me.  If I(or anyone for that matter) has to "invent" a challenge it means the game is poorly made and isn't challenging on its own.  This is a poor man's solution to what shouldn't even be a problem is what I'm saying.  It's the developers responsibility to challenge me as a gamer not mine, otherwise I don't play your game.  Thats how it works. 

It is you that challenges you all the time, depending on your playstyle.

If you only play Wigfrid and rock that icy meatballs you play your "easy mode",

if you play as Wes and actually use the food diversity of the game you challange yourself atleast a bit more.

It is part of the game to play so, the developers programmed it in this way,

that you can survive without ever eating meat, etc., because you can play the game

like a braindead and use the easiest things to make it a cakewalk for you skills,

doesn´t mean that you have to do it.

If you got to good at your strategy and it got boring change it for gods sake! And make it more fun.

"But I am the player and want the challange from somebody else,

because it is dumb if I challenge myself because.... "

Why???

If you want challenge and actually like the game, make it more challenging for yourself to enjoy it more,

there are diffrent people with diffrent grades of experience and there are quiet a bunch of people

that are less skilled than us veterans and that amount of challenge is fine for them.

Your are not the only one who plays SW and there are maybe 5% of the player that liked

the 3000 damage volcano bombardement at night when 10 hounds/sharx are after you,

we had before the patch, besides that most of them only survived

because they used an invincibility bug while sitting in there safe boats like real SW Masters.

"It's the developers responsibility to challenge me as a gamer not mine,

otherwise I don't play your game.  Thats how it works."

Then play something else and your problem is solved,

because it is absolutly insane to believe that Klei and Capy can survive of the sales

of maybe 5% of the players that liked the old volcano season

and that grade of "random 3000 damage at your face challenge".

I'd say keep the volcano season as is, but add some sort of lava mechanic to go along with the season.

If it were possible, allow different elevations in terrain (I doubt this will happen), to allow building in areas to prevent lava from flowing to your base.  Or crafting obsidian walls to re-direct the flow of lava.  Something like that.

This way, you still have to deal with the volcanic rock showers, along with magma and ash.

@HeilerderWelten, Dude you clearly don't get it and I'm not gonna argue with you.  Im not gonna waste my time holding your hand, baby stepping you and explaining every word I say to you.  If you don't understand the argument, which you clearly dont, then just stay silent.  In all honesty the post isn't for you, its for Klei and Capy to let them know that me (and the people that agree with me) think you're taking this game in the wrong direction by nerfing the challenge into the ground.   If you don't like that then too bad, some of us think games should be hard.  Not everyone deserves a medal

YES you are absolutely right. This game needs to be 2-3x harder for sure! I agree with everything you said except one thing:

Volcano nerf is good IMO! Meteor showers was one feature in game that was maybe challenging so thats why you want it so badly back BUT we need to stop thinking like "summer = constant meteors" because Klei already said that other side of meteors/volcano is not in game yet AND we need something something else in summer (well in other seasons too) because putting meteor showers to whole summer is not good feature and you just need to get on boat or circle around forever on land like retard for 2h of your gameplay. This wasn't even challenging just time consuming and boring - this was my main problem with meteors and i thought for many others too. We need more complex features for seasons!!!

For example:

- keep volcano showers as they are now

- add longer duration of volcano ash

- ash is lowering your sanity and hp

- this way you need to use gas mask and that means something else for overheating in body slot!

- and of course season specific creatures + events (we need this for all seasons)

EDIT: @HeilerderWelten, Clown is again right that you shouldn't make challenges just to enjoy game ... WTF ... and anyway you will get to point that it is easy (in this version of SW) REALLY REALLY SOON so you will be in his place like next week!!! Making another challenges like "be poisoned 24/7" is for late late late late late late late game when you wanna do something totally different and not when you jsut started playing dude

@HeilerderWelten, Dude you clearly don't get it and I'm not gonna argue with you.  Im not gonna waste my time holding your hand, baby stepping you and explaining every word I say to you.  If you don't understand the argument, which you clearly dont, then just stay silent.  In all honesty the post isn't for you, its for Klei and Capy to let them know that me (and the people that agree with me) think you're taking this game in the wrong direction by nerfing the challenge into the ground.   If you don't like that then too bad, some of us think games should be hard.  Not everyone deserves a medal

If you see the volcano season before the patch as a legit challenge,

you have clearly no idea of fair difficulty or good game design.

Take your exciting challenge of running around for 2 hours like a maniac

(that was the only strategy, besides the invincible boat glitch)

and your pseudo elitism and have fun with it.

There are so many more interesting ways to make a game more

challenging than dodging bombs for a whole season.

I understand your desire for challenge, but what volcano season was before

was not challenging, but tedious and boring and if you see that as the optimal path for SW,

you have clearly no idea of game design.

And even more important you are only one of very few people

that even trys to overcome such tedious stuff, I hated that mess and I also made it, but we are the exception!

The most players, the 90% that buys that game too wouldn´t even try surviving that.

You can´t develope a game or DLC only for 5-10% of your customer.

I like fair designed challenges too, but Klei and Capy can´t do that in core mechanics,

like in the seasons, the really challenging stuff has to happen in optional challenges,

something like Moby (he should be way harder and bigger)

or other things that you can avoid as a new or unexperienced player

...like a twister in a set place of the map and not a constant bombardment that follows you around

and OHKOs you and your base/islands.

You cant just say unexperienced player have to play ROG enough until they have no problems

with stuff like the volcano season before the patch.

Klei must sell there games/DLC also to them and not everyone has the time or the guts to play DS

for 1000 hours like we did (I think atleast you did) to survive over 300 days

without mods/commands/changing worldgen/or relying on the cheapest DS strats:

like meatball abuse or playing "Wigi Cannot Die" .

It would be great if Klei and Capy brings more challenges in, but they can´t do that with core mechanics

or no one plays DS for longer than 2 seasons and than quits because he/she can´t play half the game,

the difficulty has to be optional with a big enough reward to atleast try it out.

It seems we dont understand each others points,

we should just ignore each other in the future Clwnbaby, see ya.

YES you are absolutely right. This game needs to be 2-3x harder for sure! I agree with everything you said except one thing:

Volcano nerf is good IMO! Meteor showers was one feature in game that was maybe challenging so thats why you want it so badly back BUT we need to stop thinking like "summer = constant meteors" because Klei already said that other side of meteors/volcano is not in game yet AND we need something something else in summer (well in other seasons too) because putting meteor showers to whole summer is not good feature and you just need to get on boat or circle around forever on land like retard for 2h of your gameplay. This wasn't even challenging just time consuming and boring - this was my main problem with meteors and i thought for many others too. We need more complex features for seasons!!!

For example:

- this way you need to use gas mask and that means something else for overheating in body slot!

- and of course season specific creatures + events (we need this for all seasons)

EDIT: @HeilerderWelten, Clown is again right that you shouldn't make challenges just to enjoy game ... WTF ... and anyway you will get to point that it is easy (in this version of SW) REALLY REALLY SOON so you will be in his place like next week!!! Making another challenges like "be poisoned 24/7" is for late late late late late late late game when you wanna do something totally different and not when you jsut started playing dude

"Volcano nerf is good IMO! Meteor showers was one feature in game that was maybe challenging so thats why you want it so badly back BUT we need to stop thinking like "summer = constant meteors" because Klei already said that other side of meteors/volcano is not in game yet AND we need something something else in summer (well in other seasons too) because putting meteor showers to whole summer is not good feature and you just need to get on boat or circle around forever on land like retard for 2h of your gameplay. This wasn't even challenging just time consuming and boring - this was my main problem with meteors and i thought for many others too. We need more complex features for seasons!!!

For example:

- and of course season specific creatures + events (we need this for all seasons)"

Thats exactly what I said, the volcano season as it was before the patch wasn´t fine at all.

"YES you are absolutely right. This game needs to be 2-3x harder for sure!"

We are some maniacs that played the game for over 1000 hours,

we have to rely on world gen settings and optional difficultys that new players can avoid,

unlike a whole season that you have to play.

For most player is that grade of difficulty at the moment fine.

(maybe a little bit to easy, but that is mostly food item balance,

like meatballs and co, but that is a problem since vanilla DS)

"Clown is again right that you shouldn't make challenges just to enjoy game"

Of corse you should. You play games because you enjoy them and if you like to play them and if there is no ingame way to make it harder at that moment, why I shouldn´t challenge myself to make it more fun?

I just dont understand that, there are so many people that make cool challenges,

like killing the DST Dragonfly alone in melee, you have to think about strats, gather stuff, try stuff

and if you manage finally to kill her it is an incredible feeling, probably even better

than any ingame challenge from the devs, because it was your own idea to make that crazy stuff.

In my opinion making his own challenges is the only way to keep a game fresh for a long time,

may it be speedruns, no death runs, etc. and that is also true in DS,

there are so many ways to find you personally difficulty, why dont use it guys? ^^

I'd say keep the volcano season as is, but add some sort of lava mechanic to go along with the season.

If it were possible, allow different elevations in terrain (I doubt this will happen), to allow building in areas to prevent lava from flowing to your base.  Or crafting obsidian walls to re-direct the flow of lava.  Something like that.

This way, you still have to deal with the volcanic rock showers, along with magma and ash.

Or make the ash mist damaging for your health/sanity so that you have to wear a gasmask

(that barely anyone uses at the moment), so you would "waste" your head slot, so you must decide:

Minerhat? (light)

Dumbrella? (water res. and heat res.)

Football Helmet? (damage res.)

Pirate Hat? (sanity, better map reveal)

Or Gas Mask? (save for health/sanity drain in volcano ash mist)

That alone would change playstyles enough to change the way how people survive

in volcano season and the game would get a wasteland charme to it, where you have to filter your air.

Complaints about the nerf were entirely predictable ofc. There isn't one specific difficulty that would make everyone happy.

I haven't gotten to the new summer yet but one thing should be clear - the previous version was really bad and some correction was needed. From what I read though the main problem remains - the main issue was never dodging the rocks (not meteors btw) but rather the annoying nature of sitting in your boat for two or more gameplay days at the end of the summer and just waiting for the bombardment to stop. And that's still there I assume.

Someone suggested meteor shower should be a regular all-year event, like the hounds, only maybe random and a lot shorter ofc. With shorter warning. I like that idea much more to be honest. I feel making the rocks slower and less damaging doesn't make much difference since that was never the real problem.

Complaints about the nerf were entirely predictable ofc. There isn't one specific difficulty that would make everyone happy.

I haven't gotten to the new summer yet but one thing should be clear - the previous version was really bad and some correction was needed. From what I read though the main problem remains - the main issue was never dodging the rocks (not meteors btw) but rather the annoying nature of sitting in your boat for two or more gameplay days at the end of the summer and just waiting for the bombardment to stop. And that's still there I assume.

Someone suggested meteor shower should be a regular all-year event, like the hounds, only maybe random and a lot shorter ofc. With shorter warning. I like that idea much more to be honest. I feel making the rocks slower and less damaging doesn't make much difference since that was never the real problem.

Sitting in the boat was a glitch that the people abused, because while in the boat,

the bombs couldn´t damage you directly, like on land.

That glitch was patched...you can still dodge the bombs in shallow water in the boat,

butknow they can actually hit you.

I can see your point, doging for such a long time is annoying, but I like the idea of the volcano bombs,

it is just not enough, there have to be more mechanics to make the volcano season interesting

and challenging AND then maybe 3-4 waves of heavy volcano bombardement per volcano season,

more than that gets tedious to fast.

Ideas for volcano season besides bombs and the volcano cave?

- using gas masks against volcano ash mist (to prevent health/sanity drain)

- expanding lava puddles from the burning holes in the magma bioms

(in calm season the lava will cool down and will become rock, flint, etc.)

- new seasonal fire themed creatures and bosses:

a phoenix, lava spitting golems, an angry sea cucumber etc.

- dry mangrove bioms (you can walk on them,

maybe some hostile mobs like clock 'o 'codiles, that are angry because there water is gone)

- limpets get covered by ash and drain your health and sanity if you eat them (even cooked)

and cooking them in the crockpot  results in wet goop every time

- drying racks dry meat way faster

- etc.

At the moment (alpha) there are just to few things for the diffrent seasons, but that will come eventually.

We are some maniacs that played the game for over 1000 hours,

we have to rely on world gen settings and optional difficultys that new players can avoid,

unlike a whole season that you have to play.

For most player is that grade of difficulty at the moment fine.

(maybe a little bit to easy, but that is mostly food item balance,

like meatballs and co, but that is a problem since vanilla DS)

"Clown is again right that you shouldn't make challenges just to enjoy game"

Of corse you should. You play games because you enjoy them and if you like to play them and if there is no ingame way to make it harder at that moment, why I shouldn´t challenge myself to make it more fun?

I just dont understand that, there are so many people that make cool challenges,

like killing the DST Dragonfly alone in melee, you have to think about strats, gather stuff, try stuff

and if you manage finally to kill her it is an incredible feeling, probably even better

than any ingame challenge from the devs, because it was your own idea to make that crazy stuff.

In my opinion making his own challenges is the only way to keep a game fresh for a long time,

may it be speedruns, no death runs, etc. and that is also true in DS,

there are so many ways to find you personally difficulty, why dont use it guys? ^^

DUDE stop with this PLZ

Base game HAS TO BE CHALLENGING!!!

You didnt start to make your own challenges first week that ROG came out because it was challenging for long time as it is. This is how it should be with SW too!

SW is DLC and we SHOULD NOT take care of beginners that never played original DS AT ALL since this is DLC for main game - this is not how DLCs/expansions work! If you have 0 hours in DS why would you even buy more of that game??? SW should be harder than DS and harder than ROG IMO

Making own challenges is the way to keep a game fresh for long time = this is true but you shouldnt have to do this after few hours of gameplay!

And while you are demanding this hyper-challenging game that makes living every second of every day an exercise in near-futility, 80% of the rest of DS players are freaking out because they CAN'T survive such a game. 

There is something called balance. Not everyone is a hyper intensive supergamer that lives and dies for insane barely-survivable challenges. It's like the crossfit cult:

Not everyone likes super insane challenges. Some people want challenges that have solutions. Some people are just more casual. Klei has to find a balance that fits everyone, particularly the majority of their players, which I would bet the majority of which aren't looking to die from random events every 15 minutes playing this game.

That's how it works. Balance. 

If the current Volcano season is indeed too nerfed for the majority of players, I'm sure they will make it more challenging again, but myself? I thought the random instant death was utterly pointless before, and I appreciate that it's gone. The season in general might be made a bit more difficult still, I don't mind a challenge, so long as there is a solution to the problem of surviving it. 

@jrista, dude :grin: you are probably new here and new to DS / DST / ROG / SW because you are talking nonsense. Klei don't need to "balance" for everyone. This game have some style, some difficulty and we bought it because what it is! I dont care about people who want slow pace because this game is NOT FOR THEM. Klei cant just make this game for everyone and NOBODY DOES! This game needs to be challenging like HELL! DS was and ROG was too! For begginers and slow pace people (why did you all buy this game in first place) is world setting so you can delete difficult stuff from your world and play this pink unicorns jumping on clouds game. But STOP destroying DS with this "needs to be for little babies" talk.

When i first start DS i die A LOT ... i died like 50x until i know about everything and guess what THIS is the game i like and bought and this game was made this way! ROG comes after that and again me (somewhat pro in DS) died A LOT in ROG because it was challenging and hard and unexpected and HARD! If you like chillout games go buy some of those or use world setting and dont destroy this game for players that bought it because it is actually hard and challenging.

SO

People that bought this game for what it is = make it hard

For whiners = there will be world setting and you can turn of hard stuff

OR

Maybe go play this game and learn how to survive? Its not that hard!

I am new, but I am going to state flat out that you are wrong. You sound young, so I won't be too hard on you, but your wrong. You are not the only class of player for these games. You bought it for your reasons...I bought it for mine. Our reasons are different, and the reason Volcano season was nerfed into the ground is because Klei does NOT see you as the sole class of customer they are trying to cater to. Balance is a critical factor in every game ever made, regardless of who makes it. Making it hard as hell would not be good for Klei's bottom line, and push come to shove, if they alienate 80% or more of their customers to cater to a group of guys such as yourself, the crossfit cult, they are going to lose customers. Fact of life.

Your trying to force Klei to kater JUST TO YOU. Sorry bub, but real life doesn't work that way. Klei has to find the right balance for this game, because this game IS for people like me. I greatly enjoy RoG. It has a lot of difficult challenges. However, it does NOT have instant random death all over the place, nor inane mechanics like dying when a sea hound destroys your boat when your right on the shore of an island, or things like that.

My point is, there are RIDICULOUS mechanics in SW currently. The instant death from volcanic rock strikes that you couldn't actually see (either because the ash haze was so thick you couldn't see the shadow, or because it was night) is a ridiculous mechanic. It's unavoidable, has no solution, and instantly ends the game. That is not a "needs to be for little babies" talk...it's a careful analysis of a came mechanic that was broken, and needed to be fixed. It's not calling for ground nerfing of every challenging game mechanic. I like a challenge myself...I just don't like random, unavoidable instant death mechanics, or inexplicable wall destruction, stuff like that, in a game that is about SURVIVAL. Challenges need to be surmountable. Surmountable...that doesn't mean "a toddler could do it easy"...just not randomly impossible, not insanely hellishly difficult every second of gameplay.

I died a lot when I started playing RoG. However after trying and trying and trying, I figured out how to survive. The same is the case with SW...except when I'd randomly get hit with a freakin pyroclastic bomb I couldn't see coming, and therefor couldn't dodge, and bam...game over. WTF? That has nothing to do with knowing how to play the game...I've been playing DS and DST for a good long while, I know how it works. 

@jrista, :) i am not young at all maybe just my english is not so good (sorry for that it is my third language) and Klei nerf meteor showers so much not because beginners or whiners but because:

- other part of this season/volcano showers is not yet implemented so nor do i or you know how it will be in full release

- they have holidays so they made this update quickly so we can play it without some game braking stuff trough holidays

- same way they add quickly boat clockworks that spawn so players have good amount of gears ... i guess there was no time to properly test this and thats why we have so many

- when they add other part of volcano showers they will put meteor showers back as it was before because it will be complete and probably avoidable is some way (this is how it was made in first place they just didnt have time or proper testing to add lava caves to first release) 

Im not forcing anyone to make game JUST FOR ME :D ... DS vanilla was like i written and so ROG ... i hope SW will get there too. Nobody force Klei to make DS/ROG like we want SW now they just did that because thats the game they wanted to make. They had our feedback before and maybe change some stuff because of us but i just feel there is too much beginners this time for SW thats all

What you just said is in direct contradiction to what you stated previously:

@jrista, dude :grin: you are probably new here and new to DS / DST / ROG / SW because you are talking nonsense. Klei don't need to "balance" for everyone. This game have some style, some difficulty and we bought it because what it is! I dont care about people who want slow pace because this game is NOT FOR THEM. Klei cant just make this game for everyone and NOBODY DOES! This game needs to be challenging like HELL! DS was and ROG was too! For begginers and slow pace people (why did you all buy this game in first place) is world setting so you can delete difficult stuff from your world and play this pink unicorns jumping on clouds game. But STOP destroying DS with this "needs to be for little babies" talk.

Your previous statements were quite unambiguous, in that you wanted Klei to make an insanely, or as you stated it, hellishly, difficult game, and damn any other kind of player who isn't just like you:

I dont care about people who want slow pace because this game is NOT FOR THEM. Klei cant just make this game for everyone and NOBODY DOES! This game needs to be challenging like HELL!

I am honestly not sure what you believe, simple fact of the matter is, the DEFAULT settings for the game (once they add world editing) needs to be as balanced as possible. Not hellishly challenging, but neither overly simplistic and easy. If people such as yourself want hellishly challenging, then you should, just as with RoG, be able to crank up the difficulty, increase pyroclastic bomb hits, volcanic activity duration, the frequency with which hurricanes destroy things like bore huts and trees, jack up the frequency of monsters and giants, etc. Similarly, those who want an easier game should be able to throttle back on the difficulty, eliminate monsters that they don't enjoy (i.e. hounds), increase resources, etc.

Fundamentally, just as with RoG, SW needs to start out with a balanced game, with balanced difficulty, that presents challenges but isn't so hellishly difficult as to alienate most players. You may not care about them, but me, being someone who likes a decent challenge but, after the hellishness of my daily life, wants to escape into something that isn't also hellish, I care about it.

When i first start DS i die A LOT ... i died like 50x until i know about everything and guess what THIS is the game i like and bought and this game was made this way! ROG comes after that and again me (somewhat pro in DS) died A LOT in ROG because it was challenging and hard and unexpected and HARD! If you like chillout games go buy some of those or use world setting and dont destroy this game for players that bought it because it is actually hard and challenging.

SO

People that bought this game for what it is = make it hard

For whiners = there will be world setting and you can turn of hard stuff

OR

Maybe go play this game and learn how to survive? Its not that hard!

Nothing in DS and ROG was nearly as annoying (challenging) as volcano season before the patch

and the only thing in DST that has that grade of difficulty, is the completly optional 20.000 health dragonfly.

It is the same with Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2

(people say Dark 2 is way easier than Dark 1, but that is just false)

the players learned the game in Vanilla and ROG.

Now they say SW is to easy for them, but not because SW is way easier than ROG or Vanilla

(Vanilla is easy as s**** and ROG has only its moments, when the bosses come, the rest is also easy),

because the veterans played the game so much that they became good enough

not to care about stuff like insanity, wetness, overheating, etc.

For a DLC in alpha (no bosses, etc.) SW has an ok difficulty,

sure food is to plentifull (also no one dares to nerf meatballs or ice as a filler)

and enemys like the clockwork boats are to easy to kill, but the overall challenge in that state is ok.

BUT

of corse there has to be more difficulty stuff in the future that should have a high risk,

but also a high reward to it and the most important thing, it shouldn´t be somthing without a proper solution.

Like puddles spawning under your structures (break your base down and build it again is a stupid solution) and volcano bombs that can only be countered by running in circles half a season,

that is just not a proper challenge, atleast not for me and the real crazy s***,

I mean DST Dragonfly levels of challenge have to be optional,

but the reward has to be good enough that people atleast try to kill something like that.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!

The gas mask should prevent from health/sanity damaging ash fog/mist/clouds.

What you just said is in direct contradiction to what you stated previously:

Your previous statements were quite unambiguous, in that you wanted Klei to make an insanely, or as you stated it, hellishly, difficult game, and damn any other kind of player who isn't just like you:

I am honestly not sure what you believe, simple fact of the matter is, the DEFAULT settings for the game (once they add world editing) needs to be as balanced as possible. Not hellishly challenging, but neither overly simplistic and easy. If people such as yourself want hellishly challenging, then you should, just as with RoG, be able to crank up the difficulty, increase pyroclastic bomb hits, volcanic activity duration, the frequency with which hurricanes destroy things like bore huts and trees, jack up the frequency of monsters and giants, etc. Similarly, those who want an easier game should be able to throttle back on the difficulty, eliminate monsters that they don't enjoy (i.e. hounds), increase resources, etc.

Fundamentally, just as with RoG, SW needs to start out with a balanced game, with balanced difficulty, that presents challenges but isn't so hellishly difficult as to alienate most players. You may not care about them, but me, being someone who likes a decent challenge but, after the hellishness of my daily life, wants to escape into something that isn't also hellish, I care about it.

Hellishly was too strong word sorry for that BUT my point was: I can kite DST Deerclops alone and kill him and i can kill Guradian 1v1 in ruins and i can manage all aspects of game (sanity, hunger, hp, wetness) AND i play DS/ROG on default settings. After hundreds of hours and knowing almost everything about this game ROG is still challenging and time to time difficult! Do you remember threads about "i cant get past XY day in ROG/DS"? Now there are post from players that are playing SW as their first DS game saying that game is easy :D

Nothing in DS and ROG was nearly as annoying (challenging) as volcano season before the patch

and the only thing in DST that has that grade of difficulty, is the completly optional 20.000 health dragonfly.

It is the same with Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2

(people say Dark 2 is way easier than Dark 1, but that is just false)

the players learned the game in Vanilla and ROG.

Now they say SW is to easy for them, but not because SW is way easier than ROG or Vanilla

(Vanilla is easy as s**** and ROG has only its moments, when the bosses come, the rest is also easy),

because the veterans played the game so much that they became good enough

not to care about stuff like insanity, wetness, overheating, etc.

For a DLC in alpha (no bosses, etc.) SW has an ok difficulty,

sure food is to plentifull (also no one dares to nerf meatballs or ice as a filler)

and enemys like the clockwork boats are to easy to kill, but the overall challenge in that state is ok.

BUT

of corse there has to be more difficulty stuff in the future that should have a high risk,

but also a high reward to it and the most important thing, it shouldn´t be somthing without a proper solution.

Like puddles spawning under your structures (break your base down and build it again is a stupid solution) and volcano bombs that can only be countered by running in circles half a season,

that is just not a proper challenge, atleast not for me and the real crazy s***,

I mean DST Dragonfly levels of challenge have to be optional,

but the reward has to be good enough that people atleast try to kill something like that.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING!

The gas mask should prevent from health/sanity damaging ash fog/mist/clouds.

- yes volcano season before was bad but i think it was because there is not omplemented that other side of this in SW

- as i written up ^ ROG is still challenging for me even that i mastered that game and i play only on default settings

- well yes we will see what Klei add and change in SW

- yes high risk stuff with high prizes

- puddles are OK!!! You cant use few of your structures in 1 season so no big deal ... you can't use farms in winter either and you can't prevent that!

- running in circles for whole season is really bad game design but again other side of this is coming and i think Klei will change it back as it was before since you will have some way to prepare/change this

- yes ash + sanity/hp drain + gas mask seems like great idea!

Archived