So lets talk about Weed

Seaweed to be exact.

At the current moment i find that seaweed is a far to powerfull foodsource as it is fairly common, regrows very quickly and offers a good amount of food what makes a lot of other foodsources very indesirable.

To put things in context as Wolfgang i'm able to live almost exclusive in Seaweed by saling between 4-5 different islands and a Coralreef mostly because it regrows on the starting point once i return from my journeys.

Now i know that Seaweed is regarded as the Berrybush of SW however Berrybushes in regular DS also had some balance points those being Gobblers and the fact that they don't regrow during Winter. So from my point Seaweed needs something similar as in a passive Mob that eats it and concurents the player for it and a season you can't properly harvest it.

For the mob i suggest maybe a Turtle like creature that eats the seaweed and is fairly tought to take down (to balance out that it's not the fastes swimmer) and for a season maybe the 3rd one the reason being that the oceanlevel rised a bit and because of that most of the seaweed is submerged into the water out of reach for the player to pick (although you can pick it once before it submerges fully).

The spawning of this turtle would be different than Gobblers tho. Gobblers usually only have a high chance of spawning if there's a large amount of berry bushes near each other. Seaweed does have some degree of seperation.

I didn't mean the turtle would spawn when you harvest seaweed instead it would be a passive mob similar to Beefalos or Jellyfish and but will directly go after seaweed in close proximity to it. Cause if it would only spawn after that would would just outrun it with just a Rowbaot and a sail.

Nah, seaweed can't be moved and outside of coral reefs (which can be quite far depending on your world generation) there isn't that many of them anyway.

Besides I think foraging for food should have been the theme of the DLC.

The farms is what should have been axed from the game in this DLC IMO, could've easily been replaced with mussels, lobsters and seaweed or other sea themed farming opportunities.

Besides I think foraging for food should have been the theme of the DLC.

Here's the problem with that belief.

That sounds well and good. But even moving around to go and forage is an expenditure. A costly one if the only proper way to get around is using a genuine sailboat. This makes foraging far more stressful and costly than it ought to be. And before you go telling me that it's easy to get enough wood for constant sailboats, NOT WITH MY WORLD GEN IT AIN'T!

Q that picture you posted is setpiece and to OP:

Are you crazy??? They nerf them way too much from what they were and after that i stop pick them up because it takes too much time!

- need to stop with boat (awkwardly) and sometimes it doesn't recognise spacebar

- picking animation same as for gras/twigs (too long IMO)

- accelerate with boat again (way too slow)

This takes 2x time to pick one seaweed than it does grass/twigs so with those stats now is not that worth it if you have ANY other kind of food available

I want more reasons to use the trawl net early on. Maybe add some more types of schools. Shrimp, Bass, Trout, Crab (but a different crab, maybe with a different name), snails even.

There are actually a lot of reasons to be using it early on, it brings in a lot of nice food and items that can help you out quite a bit and it's conducive to use it early since the earlier parts of the game are when you do the most sailing, so you can kill two birds with one stone if you have it dragging behind you while you passively explore. I had way more food than I needed on my current game just because I was passively trawl netting as I went around.

I disagree with seaweed being OP. It's in abundance when exploring is easy and you're doing a lot of it anyway, but it's actually time consuming and ends up being a lot of wear and tear on your boat when there are actually better ways to be feeding yourself. Besides, seaweed has more uses than just being eaten, so even though one moment I find myself with 20 of it, I run out pretty quickly.

And to be honest, as a food, it's really not that great to be eaten by itself. First off, you pretty much HAVE to cook it or it'll destroy your sanity, and even then it doesn't give that much hunger. I find it very useful for restoring health though, in a pinch!

Not only seaweed is problematic.

Something is wrong when you can live on seaweed alone.

Healing - use seaweed.

Hunger - use seaweed.

It may be time consuming, I get a lot of seaweeds while exploring and sailing around islands, then jump on the island, cook it all and consume. Then its the same after getting to next island. Its to good at healing and filling.

Maybe add one more kind of seaweed that will hurt sanity even aafter cooked, or something. Last game I was around day 30 without even thinking about building crock pot, its insane.

The other problems that make getting tons of food way to easy:

Hail

Ice Machine

Its to easy to stay at full HP and not hungry.

Seaweed is a little to good at the moment I agree. The balance(not much) comes with the fact your can't place is where you want it. I place my base very close to clusters of seaweed. There needs to be better balance. You can move berry bushes, but you can't move seaweed.

Meh, there are more efficient ways and less time consuming to feed oneself. With the ice maker you can get easily fillers and the best ways to retore hunger or hp is through crockpot recipes. Seaweed becomes just a secondary way of sustaining yourself if you don't have anything else. Also, they don't grow back as fast as you'd like. If your island is surrounded with tons of them then you're lucky, but in the other case you'll descover that you have to look for something else.

I doubt they'll keep seaweed the way it is now. As of the alpha, it's a convenient food to fill your stomach and heal yourself with while you're learning.

Jellyfish give you a lot of stomach, and they are in great abundance as well.

Not only seaweed is problematic.

Something is wrong when you can live on seaweed alone.

Healing - use seaweed.

Hunger - use seaweed.

It may be time consuming, I get a lot of seaweeds while exploring and sailing around islands, then jump on the island, cook it all and consume. Then its the same after getting to next island. Its to good at healing and filling.

Maybe add one more kind of seaweed that will hurt sanity even aafter cooked, or something. Last game I was around day 30 without even thinking about building crock pot, its insane.

The other problems that make getting tons of food way to easy:

Hail

Ice Machine

Or you could hunt butterflies and not need to cook anything at all, with no wear and tear to your boat.  Sure, killing them is naughty, but what harm could Krampus possibly do that the Prime Apes haven't already done?  Besides if you only kill what you need you'll never see Krampus.

want ocean gobblers have your seaweed eaten by.....SEA COWS! careful though they could occasionally be accompanied by a BULL SHARK possible use Items crock pot: ice cream and cheese of the seas, or grab the bull by the horns with a VIKING HELMET! also gives anothe way to get mammal meat besides trying to find water beefalo or wildboars

want ocean gobblers have your seaweed eaten by.....SEA COWS! careful though they could occasionally be accompanied by a BULL SHARK possible use Items crock pot: ice cream and cheese of the seas, or grab the bull by the horns with a VIKING HELMET! also gives anothe way to get mammal meat besides trying to find water beefalo or wildboars

Scratch that. SEA COW PIRATES!!! eat veggies, steal gold, sleep on the beach.

Meh, there are more efficient ways and less time consuming to feed oneself. 

Exactly.

I only collect seaweed to make anti venom and etc.

Early game I want to explore as many land as possible because that is where the gold are. I will spend the day sailing from island to island and explore the land. At Night I make a camp fire and cook whatever food I gathered during the day. Spending time collecting seaweed is not at all necessary non efficient.

I have a feeling that this is exactly what they want the game to be. They want the shipwrecked experience to be different to the old DS/ROG. So they make it really easy to find food for hunger/sanity/health. Hence the opening phase 'Welcome to Paradise'. To balance that out they make everything else hard. E.g Mining gold rock when surrounded by monkey, sailing with 12 sea hound at your tail, deal with flooding, posion and etc.

I actually really like this idea as another Herdbased Mob would be cool since Water Beefalos are so scarce anyway.

Also just the Vikinghelmet sounds awesome (makes me wish there was some sort of Red Paint for Wilsons Beard)

Seaweed to be exact.

At the current moment i find that seaweed is a far to powerfull foodsource as it is fairly common, regrows very quickly and offers a good amount of food what makes a lot of other foodsources very indesirable.

To put things in context as Wolfgang i'm able to live almost exclusive in Seaweed by saling between 4-5 different islands and a Coralreef mostly because it regrows on the starting point once i return from my journeys.

Now i know that Seaweed is regarded as the Berrybush of SW however Berrybushes in regular DS also had some balance points those being Gobblers and the fact that they don't regrow during Winter. So from my point Seaweed needs something similar as in a passive Mob that eats it and concurents the player for it and a season you can't properly harvest it.

For the mob i suggest maybe a Turtle like creature that eats the seaweed and is fairly tought to take down (to balance out that it's not the fastes swimmer) and for a season maybe the 3rd one the reason being that the oceanlevel rised a bit and because of that most of the seaweed is submerged into the water out of reach for the player to pick (although you can pick it once before it submerges fully).

That are actually incredible good ideas, well done. ^^

Archived