Caves Are Now Live

• Developer

dst-caves-live.png

Hey everyone! It's time, The Caves have arrived! Finally, you and your friends can go spelunking, get beat up by Rockys, step in Bat guano, get eaten by a Depths Worm, smell Slurper's rancid breath, run from angry Bunnymen, and go insane and die in some labyrinth in the Ruins! Hoooraaaayyy!!!

For those of you that haven't been following the beta branch, here's what's been going on:

About 2 months ago, we began bringing the Caves from Don't Starve single player into Don't Starve Together. This was a huge technical undertaking, as it was not previously possible to have a server with both the forest and the caves at the same time. Solving this meant making a way for two servers to be able to talk with each other -- one with the forest, and one with the caves -- and for players to be able to seamlessly "migrate" back and forth between these two servers.

All this additional network functionality took these months to pull together -- and of course we had to bring all the single player caves content up to DST standards, and solve many gnarly design issues along the way.

While there are still some rough edges that need polishing and improvements to be made, we feel that the caves are ready for release to the community at large! Don't Starve Together is still in early access, and so we'd like everyone to try out the new caves and help us find the remaining issues. So welcome! Come on in! We're glad to have you down here!

Here's the major changes and features to be aware of in the world:
  • Now, you can have worlds consisting of more than one layer! One of those layers is the Caves preset, full of spelunking goodness.
  • Caves look a little different than in Don't Starve. The layout is different, mushroom forests abound, and the sinkholes have gotten much larger.
  • As well, the ruins have found their way up to the same level as the caves. So be warned as you are wandering around in the dark! You might just find yourself in a nightmare…
  • Many items and objects in the game have undergone some tweaks and changes, especially things found in the caves. So pay attention!
  • As well, dozens of existing bugs have been fixed! Yay! But we probably added lots of new ones too. That's how it goes!
Some other things to be aware of:
  • Now when you make a server you pick an "intention" for it. This is to help players joining your server for the first time understand what kind of gameplay you're expecting on your server.
  • If a direct connection can't be established to a server, the game can use NAT Traversal. This means it's easier to set up a server, with no need to mess with router settings.
    Official Steam Controller support is in, and several small tweaks and improvements to controllers have been made.
  • There is now a dedicated server for OSX. This is especially important so that Mac users can run their own caves.

• Developer

Hey _Q_, thanks for the concern regarding mods breaking.

Lots of people have been playing on the caves beta branch for a few weeks now playing/testing various mods, and not too many issues have come up that I'm aware of. That said, this is obviously a large change and there's bound to be some conflicts.

I've create a thread over in the mods forum so we can discuss the specifics of any issues you're seeing.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/59197-caves-are-live-now-mod-issues/

• Developer

Cool!

So what is the difference with item drops between beta and normal early access caves?

Do you mean the gift boxes? Or the actual items?

We mean that the gift boxes and the items that come out of them, otherwise known as "collection items", will only be available in the beta branch for now.

@KerfuffleBubbles, the Pre-Configured Server options are currently only enabled in Caves Beta branch.  We will be looking into adding them to the live branch as well tomorrow.

Oh alright, does that mean I misunderstood the post? Are caves only available for a small group of people at the moment in Don't Starve Together? If not what is it that I'm doing wrong? I'm currently unable to use caves, and unable to make a dedicated server. 

Wouldn't it be possible to have servers add caves on just one server by having them on another part of the map? Think of like the map is split in half, half for caves half for the forest, and you can't see the other while in the other world? So it'd be main world larger to hold both caves and forest, and the cave entrance would act more like a worm hole? 

• Developer

Awesome news :-). One thing I do wonder though is if there is anyway to tell the difference between a dedicated server with caves, and one without caves? Right now I just have to go through trial and error joining servers until one has caves.

The easiest way for now is to type "caves" into the server listing search filters, since those servers will have the "caves" tag on them.

Hi all,

so it's normal we have still cave beta is available?

and we have still two versions online? (156874 and 156875)

because when i try to update my all servers dedicated beta cave (156875) with removed -beta cavesbeta, it's still on version 156875

the strangest is I see servers with and without cave on version 156874

or we need wait new version?

Hi all,

so it's normal we have still cave beta is available?

and we have still two versions online? (156874 and 156875)

because when i try to update my all servers dedicated beta cave (156875) with removed -beta cavesbeta, it's still on version 156875

the strangest is I see servers with and without cave on version 156874

or we need wait new version?

Beta is for skins now.

I find the situation rather confusing. I was expecting the caves beta branch to be removed, which meant skins drops in normal dst. Does this mean you'll be releasing hotfixes for caves beta and normal dst at the same time? Besides the preconfigured dedicated files and skin drops is there any reason to keep the cave beta branch alive?

I did not understand that we still have 2 different versions as one of them is caves beta and other is classic dont starve. Artemiy told me that removing "-beta cavesbeta" part from the update file worked for him but it did not work for ToNiO55's servers. I have not tried it yet for my server since I like caves beta because we can still get skin drops from here and the server is full so far.  Server is 2 game years old and people are still playing so i dont want to stop and try to switch the server to an inferior platform (I mentioned why it is inferior above).

Though sooner or later we have to switch it I guess. My question is:

How can we switch the servers back to classic dont starve? Can we get some instructions about that?

Alright I tried to remove "-beta cavesbeta" part from update file, stopped server and updated but it did not switch my server to normal dst branch. version number is still 156875

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OKWaiting for license info...OK Update state (0x5) validating, progress: 0.00 (0 / 520939737) Update state (0x5) validating, progress: 55.74 (290357719 / 520939737) Update state (0x5) validating, progress: 98.70 (514193185 / 520939737)Success! App '343050' fully installed.Starting UpVersion: 156875Current time: Thu Nov 19 12:47:09 2015

Alright I tried to remove "-beta cavesbeta" part from update file, stopped server and updated but it did not switch my server to normal dst branch. version number is still 156875

Connecting anonymously to Steam Public...Logged in OKWaiting for license info...OK Update state (0x5) validating, progress: 0.00 (0 / 520939737) Update state (0x5) validating, progress: 55.74 (290357719 / 520939737) Update state (0x5) validating, progress: 98.70 (514193185 / 520939737)Success! App '343050' fully installed.Starting UpVersion: 156875Current time: Thu Nov 19 12:47:09 2015

Have you tried performing a validate instead of update?

Edit: nevermind, that seems to be a validate already ;)

Have you tried performing a validate instead of update?

I dont have any idea what you are trying to say but isnt this the update file for normal dst branch? I just edited my file and removed -beta cavesbeta part.

#!/bin/sh/home/username/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh +@ShutdownOnFailedCommand 1 +@NoPromptForPassword 1 +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/gingercook/dst_server +app_update 343050 validate +quit/home/username/dst_server/bin/dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -only_update_server_mods -only_update_server_mods

I think there is a typo in speech_maxwell.lua - WORMLIGHT is duplicated.

--- scripts/speech_maxwell.lua+++ scripts/speech_maxwell.fix.lua@@ -345,7 +345,7 @@ return {         ICESTAFF = "Cool staff.",         WAXWELLJOURNAL = "I'm so sorry Charlie.",         WORMLIGHT = "What a neat trick.",-        WORMLIGHT = "This one isn't very good.",+        WORMLIGHT_LESSER = "This one isn't very good.",         WORM =         {             PLANT = "You aren't fooling me, plant.",

• Developer

I'm having trouble with doing this. When I run the dedicated server tool I don't get the "Run Pre-Configured Server" Option. Can anyone offer some assistance on how to get this working?

This should be resolved now, so you can run the preconfigured servers from the "NONE" (not caves beta) branch.

Awesome news :-). One thing I do wonder though is if there is anyway to tell the difference between a dedicated server with caves, and one without caves? Right now I just have to go through trial and error joining servers until one has caves.

We want to improve it, but right now any multi-level server gets the "caves" tag, which you can search for. It's on the list to improve.

I think there is a typo in speech_maxwell.lua - WORMLIGHT is duplicated.

Cool, thanks for catching this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding the two larger concerns that have been brought up:

As far as opting out of the caves beta not actually getting the non-cavesbeta version... For some reason steam is having an issue with this and I'm not sure why. If you don't mind the download, you can delete the local content for the game/server and re-install (but that's not super ideal obviously). The other thing would be to just wait until the next time we put out a hotfix or update and see if that causes the correct version to install.

As far as there still being a caves beta branch at all, we are leaving it up for the time being because the item drops are still being tested there. So basically it's the "skins beta" branch now, but rather than rename it and force everyone to opt in to the new branch, we're just leaving it called "caves beta".

I dont have any idea what you are trying to say but isnt this the update file for normal dst branch? I just edited my file and removed -beta cavesbeta part.

#!/bin/sh/home/username/steamcmd/steamcmd.sh +@ShutdownOnFailedCommand 1 +@NoPromptForPassword 1 +login anonymous +force_install_dir /home/gingercook/dst_server +app_update 343050 validate +quit/home/username/dst_server/bin/dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer -only_update_server_mods -only_update_server_mods

The problem you might be experiencing is that saves from Beta Branch are not backwards compatible to Main DST branch, I do not know if this is the case. In case saves are compatible with both branches here is what I would suggest:

Instead of trying to overwrite your original steam DST folder with all executable files, try creating separate steam folder (in my case DST2), also create separate shell scripts [update.sh] and [start.sh] files for Beta Branch referencing new DST2 directory, in this case I would also suggest copying your main server folder and use copy, in order not to mess up your save file from Beta Branch (attached samples)

I do not know why you want to switch out of beta branch tough, skins are too good <3

start.sh.txt

update.sh.txt

As far as there still being a caves beta branch at all, we are leaving it up for the time being because the item drops are still being tested there. So basically it's the "skins beta" branch now, but rather than rename it and force everyone to opt in to the new branch, we're just leaving it called "caves beta".

Thanks for the clarification. Will any bugfixes be pushed to both branches, or only "skins beta" related changes?

Archived