Caves Beta - October 8th Update

@LadyxLucia, You can transfer the world, but your own character (the host character) will not transfer (at least not easily...). Copy your Klei/DoNotStarveTogether folder to another folder (e.g. DoNotStarveTogetherDedi), and then launch the dedicated server with the "-conf_dir DoNotStarveTogetherDedi" launch option.

I have a question. How often earthquake appear in caves ? 

I explode about 500 of gunpowder and all i see in server log is "BEGINING EARTHQUAKE". But earthquake didn't appear. 

I observe cave server and sometimes earthquakes appears in world, which i sore in server log. (And i see this, when i was in game)

It appears in avarage of 10-15 minutes. 

But when i explode gunpowder or something else - earthquakes disappears at all. (or i think so...)

Is this bug or i didn't know something ?

When open two servers on a single hardware server, the second server can be seen, but no one can join the game, who have encountered this problem? (First start of the service process is normal)。

I have read in this section of the wiki

Multiple Servers on the Same Machine

If GSAs wish to run multiple servers on the same machine, or have their server co-exist with the client, they will want to launch their server with an alternative configuration directory using the -conf_dir command line parameter.

To use an alternative configuration directory, they can launch the server (or client) with this command line argument (on Steam they can do this under Properties -> Set Launch Options):

-conf_dir DoNotStarveServerDirectory

This would change their configuration directory to Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveServerDirectory/ (or ~/.klei/DoNotStarveServerDirectory on Linux). GSAs will then have a unique set of save slots, log.txt and settings.ini files.

I wish the ancient guardian respawned like dragonfly so that you could farm thulecite and horns. Also, please buff the ancient guardian in a major way. I'd love it to be another raid-style boss. 

If you're playing on a survival, multi-level server you can kill yourself in the caves and revive yourself on the surface to regenerate the cave world and allow you to fight the guardian/raid the ruins multiple times.

Personally not too sure how I feel about the guardian getting a buff so soon. Finding him and escaping the caves have proven brutal enough in the past, mostly because of where and how the ruins generate. Maybe add a road to the ruins that runs throughout the caves to help one find and reach the ruins more easily?

If you're playing on a survival, multi-level server you can kill yourself in the caves and revive yourself on the surface to regenerate the cave world and allow you to fight the guardian/raid the ruins multiple times.

Personally not too sure how I feel about the guardian getting a buff so soon. Finding him and escaping the caves have proven brutal enough in the past, mostly because of where and how the ruins generate. Maybe add a road to the ruins that runs throughout the caves to help one find and reach the ruins more easily?

That's true, you could do that, but then you forfeit a permanent cave world until you're satisfied with the amount of horns that you have. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to start a cave base right away without having to wait because you have to regenerate a dozen times?

With several people hitting at once the guardian will be dead in a matter of seconds. It has just under 3 times the health of a clockwork enemy. I always imagined it to be the final boss: an arena lurking deep within the ruins with the ultimate beast waiting. Nope. Dead in seconds.

That's true, you could do that, but then you forfeit a permanent cave world until you're satisfied with the amount of horns that you have. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to start a cave base right away without having to wait because you have to regenerate a dozen times?

With several people hitting at once the guardian will be dead in a matter of seconds. It has just under 3 times the health of a clockwork enemy. I always imagined it to be the final boss: an arena lurking deep within the ruins with the ultimate beast waiting. Nope. Dead in seconds.

You could always generate another shard and insert a portal into your world if you're concerned about missing out on a permanent cave world. I understand what you're saying about his maximum health, though. He does die relatively quickly. I see challenge in getting there with enough people to MAKE him die quickly, but a health boost of 200%-250% wouldn't be entirely unfair.

• Developer

If I create an "offline" server will I keep getting gift drops while playing on it?

Nope, you will not. This is one of the reasons we've improved the privacy options. The best option is to make your server online, and use the lan_server_only flag to restrict external connections.

Hello, I have a dedicated overworld server and a dedicated cave server running on my PC with no mods. My cave server crashed. I wasn't on at the time so I'm not sure what happened but I've attached the log and have the error snippet in the spoiler below. I have been able to run it fine since then and it was working fine just before.

Yep, the sign is a known bug. Thanks!

Pigs are acting weird at dusk they dont go back to home at times or they move slowly even if u are friend of him and have torch. Frogs despawns after frog rain if you go away couple of screen... Server keep crashing at times. Here is the log file for my server.

Mm, the pigs got changed up for caves, I'll have a look at this, thanks! The frogs is a known thing, it's to prevent the world from being overfrogged by frog rain.

Why splumonkey is not being trapped by toothtraps? Really embarassed.

Huh, odd. I'll look into it.

I have a question. How often earthquake appear in caves ? 

I explode about 500 of gunpowder and all i see in server log is "BEGINING EARTHQUAKE". But earthquake didn't appear. 

I observe cave server and sometimes earthquakes appears in world, which i sore in server log. (And i see this, when i was in game)

It appears in avarage of 10-15 minutes. 

But when i explode gunpowder or something else - earthquakes disappears at all. (or i think so...)

Is this bug or i didn't know something ?

Yeah, there's something a little weird about gunpowder and quakes. Looking into it, thanks.

• Developer

I just realized! We didn't retune any of the cave creature healths for MP like we did with the rest of the creatures. (This of course includes the ancient guardian.) Thanks for reminding us. :-)

As far as making him respawn, we'll see what we can come up with.

@Ipsquiggle

Also adopted smallbirds does not stop following you if you punch them while they are sleeping. If I remember correctly in DS, they stop following you and become neutral if you punch them. Now they try to attack you if u punch them and after some time they calm down (in case you escape from them for some certain time after hitting them) and they still accept you as their mom.

Even with the right build, the Caves preset is not available when i try to set a common server (not dedicated), is it only for dedicated ones yet? I want a caves only world , no need for overworld.

Klei removed Caves Only worlds from common servers on October 6th. See this post: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58342-caves-beta-october-6th-update/

Edit: And I'm not sure if you can make a dedicated caves-only world. I haven't tried it yet, personally.

Klei removed Caves Only worlds from common servers on October 6th. See this post: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/58342-caves-beta-october-6th-update/

Edit: And I'm not sure if you can make a dedicated caves-only world. I haven't tried it yet, personally.

Oh, thank you. Thats sad tho, i tried everything to set up a dedicated server but failed miserably, i hope there was a good guide for setting one with Windows, by the way, do you know anything about the skins?

No one around could tell me if you need to play in caves to get em, or just playing anywhere online is enough.

If the host to join MOD 10~20, more than 20 of the most obvious.

Tht host will be crazy tips:

[00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space

Please fix~~~

Noooo WRYYYY Construction Amulet Have Only 3 Time Usages Much harder to duplicate Thulecites in DST.

This is a bug.

The amulet works like this:

inst.onitembuild = function()        inst.components.finiteuses:Use(1)    end    inst:ListenForEvent("consumeingredients", inst.onitembuild, owner)

Where is "consumeingredients" pushed?

RemoveIngredients of builder. RemoveCharacterIngredients of builder.

Twice per build. 2*3 equals 6 and 5-6 rounds to 0.

Should have something like:

function builder:ConsumeMaterialIngredients()endfunction builder:ConsumeCharacterIngredients()endfunction builder:RemoveIngredients()	self:ConsumeMaterialIngredients()	self:ConsumeCharacterIngredients()	self.inst:PushEvent("consumeingredients")end

Shoot. Thanks. So now the function calls twice consuming of amulet's durability and that's why its durability is consumed 40%, not 33% for normally designed if it's not buggy one.

This is a bug.

The amulet works like this:

inst.onitembuild = function()        inst.components.finiteuses:Use(1)    end    inst:ListenForEvent("consumeingredients", inst.onitembuild, owner)

Where is "consumeingredients" pushed?

RemoveIngredients of builder. RemoveCharacterIngredients of builder.

Twice per build. 2*3 equals 6 and 5-6 rounds to 0.

Should have something like:

function builder:ConsumeMaterialIngredients()endfunction builder:ConsumeCharacterIngredients()endfunction builder:RemoveIngredients()	self:ConsumeMaterialIngredients()	self:ConsumeCharacterIngredients()	self.inst:PushEvent("consumeingredients")end

If the host to join MOD 10~20, more than 20 of the most obvious.   Tht host will be crazy tips:   [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space [00:00:14]: [WARNING]: Hash string lookup out of space

saw this in one of my cave servers too. But i saw this only ones.

About earthquakes - they also didn't work, when i explode other things, like snurtles, slurtles, slurte mounds, or slutre slimes. Also when i kill big tentacle - nothing happens.

I try to start two cave servers - and first cave server connects to master and second connects to first cave server. Is this a normal ? 

I guess, that second cave server try to do second cave level ? But how can i create sinkhole ? with console only ? 

Will ruins be in second level of caves ? or ruins will be a part of cave ?

Also i can't find a ruins sinkhole. Must she create, when i generate new cave server ?

Ruin is already added as a part of cave. You can find several biomes of ruin while you wander in cave.

Earthquake problem is also already known, and the devs are trying to fix it.

saw this in one of my cave servers too. But i saw this only ones.

About earthquakes - they also didn't work, when i explode other things, like snurtles, slurtles, slurte mounds, or slutre slimes. Also when i kill big tentacle - nothing happens.

I try to start two cave servers - and first cave server connects to master and second connects to first cave server. Is this a normal ? 

I guess, that second cave server try to do second cave level ? But how can i create sinkhole ? with console only ? 

Will ruins be in second level of caves ? or ruins will be a part of cave ?

Also i can't find a ruins sinkhole. Must she create, when i generate new cave server ?

Earthquake problem is also already known, and the devs are trying to fix it.

I try to say, that there is one result in other cases. I try all of them.

I am waiting now ... I saw updates of the server and client parts today. mb they fix this issue ?  :love-struck:

Oh, thank you. Thats sad tho, i tried everything to set up a dedicated server but failed miserably, i hope there was a good guide for setting one with Windows, by the way, do you know anything about the skins?

No one around could tell me if you need to play in caves to get em, or just playing anywhere online is enough.

I've gotten both of my drops at the surface, so I don't think playing in caves is required. The server I'm on has a caves shard, though.

Archived