Wolfgang sucks

example: totally nomad life.. started to the game in winter 26th day and survived till spring for 16 days. No base with this char i am buff an i got loads of food.. No base nothing. No help from anyone even in the first day cuz nobody was in the dedic server and did not find any base.. Started to the game in winter due to more challenge. Could not kill deerclops cuz i was kind of in a bad situation to find food at that time in winter. Did not even have time to lure him to somewhere to make him fight with other mobs cuz i was kinda starving.. (early exploration, winter start you are freezing which makes exploration too difficult, you dont know anywhere, you have no armor, ur ping would not be enough to figure out how to kite properly without armor..) Though if I started to the game in autumn, I could easily get buff in 2 days.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/430447961054187578/123B79BA6CA8D38137EC69EFDBECEF938C41F664/

There's no man in town as admired as you
You're everyone's favorite guy
Everyone's awed and inspired by you
And it's not very hard to see why
No one's as slick as Wolfgang
No one's as quick as Wolfgang
No one's neck's as incredibly thick as Wolfgang's
For there's no man in town half as manly
Perfect, a pure paragon!

Wolfgang is a resource management character.

And next to wes he is the hardest character in the entire game to play.

He has 2x-3x hunger drain when hes in normal mode or might mode, he always gets an increased sanity drain, and while in his wimpy mode which happens at 0-100 hunger his damage is halved.  This causes his boomerangs to be unable to kill rabbits in a single hit, causing them to flee into their holes and giving you nothing, while additionally makes killing everything far more difficult.  Especially nightmare creatures which will be more of a problem due to his increased sanity drain.

When he's in wimpy mode he also gets that speed reduction which makes moving around more difficult and causes starvation to be even more of a problem.  Fixing this problem involves incurring an increased hunger drain, which causes you to play more aggressively, and that can be stressful for alot of players.  Wolfgang's normal form has a 2x hunger drain just by being a wilson.

While it's true that once you get a very steady amount of food resources for wolfgang he benefits from being able to activate max mighty form on command, the same can be said for any wilson or willow player simply equipping themselves with armor and a weapon.

Wolfgang feel's by design to be a challenging resource dependent character.  In reality Wolfgang does suck, but some players (myself included) enjoy that challenge, you can get much better combat capabilities out of wigfrid who actually benefits from fighting directly, as opposed to just simply getting bonus's to swings.  Or even just playing any of the default damage characters, if your like me and play wolfgang normally, switching to someone who fights normally is like dropping training weights. (It feels so great to kill a spider with 3 swings of a spear)

If any buff should be made to wolfgang, it should be to reduce the hunger drain from normal form.  2x just to be wilson is ridiculous, everything else is fine though.  Wimpy mode is supposed to be his major downside, but given his current design he pretty much needs to stay in it 90% of the time.

Alternatively, his normal form should maybe deal a little bit more damage and nothing else changed, the way he plays feels right.  It's just we have to put in alot of extra work compared to most of the other characters.

Wolfgang is a character who's usefulness depends on your playstyle, knowledge of the game and combat skills. Basically, if you suck Wolfgang will suck for you, no offense intended.

Well in reality wolfgang does not suck.. It depends on the things stated in this message above. If you do not know how to find food, properly and if you dont know kiting, thats ur problem.

Willow is pretty much like Wilson except with less Sanity. It's not too bad to deal with, a lot like Webber really.

Webber honestly has better pros then willow does, who wants to deal with a growing problem of spiders spreading across the world anyway A? And it's not like the pigs reproduce or move away and make a new home so they are very easy to deal with.

Yeah, the nerfing has gotten out of hands, especially for Willow and Woody.

Meanwhile Wigfridge's armor can be given to anyone, and Webber still starts with a spider den...

The way I see it, if everybody can't use Lucy, then everybody shouldn't be able to wear a unicorn helmet.

Meanwhile Wigfridge's armor can be given to anyone, and Webber still starts with a spider den...

The way I see it, if everybody can't use Lucy, then everybody shouldn't be able to wear a unicorn helmet.

Actually Lucy has no durability which makes it a character specific special tool, the Helmet and Battle Spear have durability with increased construction cost, if they had no durability then they would have been like Lucy as well.

Yeah, the nerfing has gotten out of hands, especially for Willow and Woody.

Woody is useful for logging and extremely easy sanity. An unpredicted full moon can get you killed, especially when paired with hounds, but that's the penalty for his advantages.

Willow on the other hand, doesn't excel in any area. She's just bad.

Woody is useful for logging and extremely easy sanity. An unpredicted full moon can get you killed, especially when paired with hounds, but that's the penalty for his advantages.

Willow on the other hand, doesn't excel in any area. She's just bad.

Willow's only upside IMO is being able to take dragonfly on a little bit better than everyone else, provided she has good equipment. I don't mean combat wise, but Willow can survive most of the burns right away. The one time I took dragonfly down without abusing some technique/bug/glitch Was a team of 4 willows and a wigfrid with a wolfgang.

While Wolfgang is balanced by drawbacks, Wigfrid is hopelessly overpowered and pretty much generally the best character. Anyone who tries to deny that just didn't read on her abilities, or is kidding themselves. She starts with good equipment, can craft more of it more easily than anyone can craft weaker equipment and can give it to anyone on her team, and restores Sanity and Health by killing mobs. This also even makes her able to eat Monster Meat almost as well as Webber (also allowing her to top out all 3 stats by simply going to fight some monsters).

EDIT: And for anyone who doesn't know, her one drawback is being able to eat only meats, something easily dealt with, and as someone said, after the early game you mostly eat meat Crock Pot dishes with any character anyway. She doesn't even need to eat specialty food items because she can restore her stats by killing some spiders.

Yep... She's OP even without taking into account the constant attack and defense multipliers she has. :grin:

While Wolfgang is balanced by drawbacks, Wigfrid is hopelessly overpowered and pretty much generally the best character. Anyone who tries to deny that just didn't read on her abilities, or is kidding themselves. She starts with good equipment, can craft more of it more easily than anyone can craft weaker equipment and can give it to anyone on her team, and restores Sanity and Health by killing mobs. This also even makes her able to eat Monster Meat almost as well as Webber (also allowing her to top out all 3 stats by simply going to fight some monsters).

EDIT: And for anyone who doesn't know, her one drawback is being able to eat only meats, something easily dealt with, and as someone said, after the early game you mostly eat meat Crock Pot dishes with any character anyway. She doesn't even need to eat specialty food items because she can restore her stats by killing some spiders.

Yep... She's OP even without taking into account the constant attack and defense multipliers she has. :grin:

I can beat any char with wolfgang in a melee combat only pvp game. If you know how to manage wolfgang, he will do far above 1.25x damage in every battle... 1.85x at leeeeeast wigfrid cant even approach near him... Wigfrid's damage is not something too good. her weapon? good for starting.. Not a good weapon after day 5-7... whose hp is better? wolfgang has more hp (again you should know how to manage him).. whose damage is better? wolfgang (if u know how to use and what you are doing). whose sanity is better? wolfgang 200 vs 120. who will be exposed to complete darkness or spiders or any other mobs with insanity aura for so long? Those drawbacks for wolfgang is nothing compared to 120 sanity of wigfrid. 200 vs 120 is too much difference.. wigfrid's hunger also sucks. 120 is too low. you gotta have meat items in your inventory and if your base is discovered and griefed you will be having harder times than the case where wolfgang's base is discovered and griefed.

wolfgang can be nomad whereas wigfrid should have more effort to do it.. Surely it is easy with any char to be nomad but, wolfgang can eat everything and this is a big advantage. The disadvantage of eating only meat as a nomad is too bad. You have to stop every once in a while to cook ur food wheras carrots and berries are everywhere and they are edible as they are... you dont have to cook everything.. You can regain sanity with cooked cactus flesh as opposed to wigfrid or eat glommer goop to gain instant hp or blue caps (nomad life strategy)..

Compared to wolfgang, the only advantage of wigfrid is -1x hunger drain as opposed to -1.5x for wolfgang most of the time and helmet from gold which is a very good helmet. -1.5x drain is not something important as wolfgang can eat everything... It is acceptable and manageable (if i am wolfgang and nomad, half of my inventory is a food item..). But that helmet is really OP. Seriously what is this man... Everyone needs pig skin but wigfrid does not need it except for making ham bat and couple of other items.

Wigfrid can survive without a problem all 4 seasons without having a crockpot, she can just eat spiders, hounds, rabbits, moleworms, cats, pigs and beefs.

She can kill almost every char in the game with ease, the one exeption is Wickerbottom with her sleep book. While Wigi sleeps Wicker drops some logs near Wigi and ignite them, Wigi dies to fire.

Migthy Wolfgang is stronger right, but Wigi just runs away until Wolfgang is in normal form and kills him. She will waste less food and will eventually hunger Wolfgang out.

She can make her weapon and her armor without science machine and even starts with it, so she is obviously the perfect spawn killer and is probably until day 6-9 way stronger than other chars that actually build there bases, while she just wanders through the world and kills players and creatures to eat them. (the creatures ^^)

She heals her health and sanity without building one structure and only needs to build:

torches, pickaxes, battle helmet and battle spear until winter starts.

On a pvp server it is quiet likely that she already killed other players for there loot or she just uses there bases,

so she must actually build nothing but the 4 items above.

While she rampages through the server probably all players left, besides other Wigis and people that hided in swamps, deserts or something like that.

Of corse the Wigi has to be "a little bit" decent at pvp, to dominate the server, knows how to read tracks, uses torches in fights, can kite atleast a little bit, etc.

I killed a Wigi + 2 befriended pigs that looted my base with WX, but I had to use 1 gear to heal and she was quiet inexperiend, otherwise she would have killed me. It was day 9 and I gathered stuff and build my small desert base and she just killed everyone until that point.

So Wigfrid is a char for people that arn´t very good at the game, but are at the same time very agressive and already found the "F key" on there keyboard. But on the other hand, a good player that uses Wigi can destroy pretty much any other player with the same experience that uses an other char, if they spawn more or less at the same time.

If you actually manage to kill a Wigfrid with Wolfgang, she was not smart enough to run away until he has no food left or he found the panflute first.

Wigfrid can survive without a problem all 4 seasons without having a crockpot, she can just eat spiders, hounds, rabbits, moleworms, cats, pigs and beefs.

She can kill almost every char in the game with ease, the one exeption is Wickerbottom with her sleep book. While Wigi sleeps Wicker drops some logs near Wigi and ignite them, Wigi dies to fire.

Migthy Wolfgang is stronger right, but Wigi just runs away until Wolfgang is in normal form and kills him. She will waste less food and will eventually hunger Wolfgang out.

She can make her weapon and her armor without science machine and even starts with it, so she is obviously the perfect spawn killer and is probably until day 6-9 way stronger than other chars that actually build there bases, while she just wanders through the world and kills players and creatures to eat them. (the creatures ^^)

She heals her health and sanity without building one structure and only needs to build:

torches, pickaxes, battle helmet and battle spear until winter starts.

On a pvp server it is quiet likely that she already killed other players for there loot or she just uses there bases,

so she must actually build nothing but the 4 items above.

While she rampages through the server probably all players left, besides other Wigis and people that hided in swamps, deserts or something like that.

Of corse the Wigi has to be "a little bit" decent at pvp, to dominate the server, knows how to read tracks, uses torches in fights, can kite atleast a little bit, etc.

I killed a Wigi + 2 befriended pigs that looted my base with WX, but I had to use 1 gear to heal and she was quiet inexperiend, otherwise she would have killed me. It was day 9 and I gathered stuff and build my small desert base and she just killed everyone until that point.

So Wigfrid is a char for people that arn´t very good at the game, but are at the same time very agressive and already found the "F key" on there keyboard. But on the other hand, a good player that uses Wigi can destroy pretty much any other player with the same experience that uses an other char, if they spawn more or less at the same time.

If you actually manage to kill a Wigfrid with Wolfgang, she was not smart enough to run away until he has no food left or he found the panflute first.

Pan flute is another concept.. You can kill someone with panflute even as wes if you are in the lucky day.

wolfgang's advantage is speed bonus wigfrid actually cannot go away from you without even taking a single hit if wolfgang is mighty..

1)Wigfrid's hunger is lower its 120 she will get hungry as quickly as wolfgang (100 base hunger plus 200 in which it drains quicker and this 200 more hunger drains lets say 70 hunger of a regular char.. Still it means that wolfgang has more hunger and he will not starve as quickly as wigfrid.. Cuz he can also eat any food)

2)Wigfrid cannot eat something other than meat means if she is being chased by wolfgang he may be in danger of starvation which will force player to eat raw meat that will lower her sanity.

3)If i am wolfgang i can chase you 3 days straight (in normal form). You should eventually hunt something and/or cook it not to starve... Whereas everything is food for wolfgang. Well this is just assumption though if you have a lot of cooked meat in your inventory you will survive ofcourse

4)Some meat resources exhausts or spawns every once in a while, and meat resources such as koalafant is not a guaranteed mob everytime you see although still easy to find food for even wes..

Plot: In a melee combat only game, wigfrid does not even have an advantage over wolfgang, she can never kill him except for first few days.. On the other hand if it is day 3 and wolfgang is alive, wolfgang will be having no danger and he will feel no stress when encounters with wigfrid... The thing is, If a player knows what he is doing, he cannot kill wolfgang in a melee only combat game but he can manage to escape from him everytime to make the game draw... But the person who will be aggressive is wolfgang in any versus (melee combat only or otherwise player who got a pan flute and fire staff rules. This could even be Wes.)...

If you are a nomad wolfgang ur inventory should look like this to win the game:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/430447961054187578/123B79BA6CA8D38137EC69EFDBECEF938C41F664/

Willow's only upside IMO is being able to take dragonfly on a little bit better than everyone else, provided she has good equipment. I don't mean combat wise, but Willow can survive most of the burns right away. The one time I took dragonfly down without abusing some technique/bug/glitch Was a team of 4 willows and a wigfrid with a wolfgang.

That is a grevious oversight of willows other major upsides, dealing with dragonfly is not the first thing I think of when playing willow.

Willow starts with a replaceable/repairable protector from crawling horror's and terrorbeaks, as well as having a rebuildable long duration torch that she can COOK WITH.  This allows her to explore very rapidly without the need to setup a campfire in order to cook food, it also makes her extremely capable in the caves due to the large amount of mushrooms you can eat and cook down in the caves.  

But additionally, in summer she doesn't have to deal with overheating as much since she can lower her sanity to cool down, which makes her the only character who thrives in summer.

And on the topic of wolfgang, willow doesn't need to have 100+ hunger and 2x hunger rate to get 1x combat multiplier.

Pan flute is another concept.. You can kill someone with panflute even as wes if you are in the lucky day.

wolfgang's advantage is speed bonus wigfrid actually cannot go away from you without even taking a single hit if wolfgang is mighty..

1)Wigfrid's hunger is lower its 120 she will get hungry as quickly as wolfgang (100 base hunger plus 200 in which it drains quicker and this 200 more hunger drains lets say 70 hunger of a regular char.. Still it means that wolfgang has more hunger and he will not starve as quickly as wigfrid.. Cuz he can also eat any food)

2)Wigfrid cannot eat something other than meat means if she is being chased by wolfgang he may be in danger of starvation which will force player to eat raw meat that will lower her sanity.

3)If i am wolfgang i can chase you 3 days straight (in normal form). You should eventually hunt something and/or cook it not to starve... Whereas everything is food for wolfgang. Well this is just assumption though if you have a lot of cooked meat in your inventory you will survive ofcourse

4)Some meat resources exhausts or spawns every once in a while, and meat resources such as koalafant is not a guaranteed mob everytime you see although still easy to find food for even wes..

Plot: In a melee combat only game, wigfrid does not even have an advantage over wolfgang, she can never kill him except for first few days.. On the other hand if it is day 3 and wolfgang is alive, wolfgang will be having no danger and he will feel no stress when encounters with wigfrid... The thing is, If a player knows what he is doing, he cannot kill wolfgang in a melee only combat game but he can manage to escape from him everytime to make the game draw... But the person who will be aggressive is wolfgang in any versus (melee combat only or otherwise player who got a pan flute and fire staff rules. This could even be Wes.)...

If you are a nomad wolfgang ur inventory should look like this to win the game:

"Pan flute is another concept.. You can kill someone with panflute even as wes if you are in the lucky day."

It has to be an extremy lucky day. The panflute user must be more or less dead or without armor. ^^

"wolfgang's advantage is speed bonus wigfrid actually cannot go away from you without even taking a single hit if wolfgang is mighty.."

Yes I can see that, if you manage to get before Wigi and manage to hit her (if she is not smart enough to change direction) you can hit her 1-3 times until the stagger is over I guess, but with Blow Darts (if you have enough) you can get in range multiple times and kill her. That is true I give you that.

"Wigfrid's hunger is lower its 120 she will get hungry as quickly as wolfgang (100 base hunger plus 200 in which it drains quicker and this 200 more hunger drains lets say 70 hunger of a regular char.. Still it means that wolfgang has more hunger and he will not starve as quickly as wigfrid.. Cuz he can also eat any food)"

Because Wigi has lower Hunger she has to eat not as often as Wolfgang, so she can run away while Wolfgang is eating 10 cactus flesh, 10 berries, 2 meatballs, etc. The scenario depends heavy on what kind of food Wolfgang and Wigi have and how much of it. Wolfgang has to eat more often and more in general, because of his way higher max Hunger. It is similiar to Willows and Wickerbottoms sanity regen.

Willow has 120 max sanity and has to pick 24 flowers, Wicker has 250 and has to pick 50 flowers, it is similiar to Wolfgangs Hunger, he has to stop more often to eat and needs way more food items. If Wigi kills a few creatures and and picks berris, carrots, cactus flesh and makes atleast 10 meatballs before the fight, she can run away for a while (7-9 days), if Wolfgang has no good range weapon (and those are hard to come by at the start) Boomerang is a bad choice, because of the low damage, she will just ran away and gets hit maybe a couple of times.

And as I said, the problem in melee is, even if you are faster, you have to get in front of Wigi to hit her, because the attack animation is not instant and if Wigi changes direction at the correct time, you will miss her. And you have to hit her a bunch of times, if she actually has her helmet (or more) and a logsuit (or multiple suits) so the chase will take many days and Wolfgang will waste incredible amounts of food to keep his migthy form.

Even if you chase Wigi only in normal form to waste less food you have still an 1.5x hunger drain.

2 fresh Meatballs (meatballs are insanly easy to make and last 10 days) will give Wigi all her hunger back, Wolfgang has to eat 5 and burns through 75 hunger with 3x speed and through 125 hunger with 1.5x speed, while Wigi has constant 1x hunger drain.

Also Wigi gets almost full hunger back with 3 Kabobs, they will last 15 days and are very easy to make, Wolfgang has to eat 8. (7,5) to get full.

(Meaty Stew will last only 10 days and you have to put more effort in it)

I got chased by a Wilson with a walking cane for 7 days (I played also Wilson)

before I starved, he only did hit me 8-12 times in those 7 days, while he was faster than I.

I changed directions before he hit me you can do that for quiet some time.

And every time Wolfgang eats you can just run or eat with Wigi or pick flowers or pick carrots, berries, so that he can´t get them.

Wolfgang has to be very good prepared to actually kill Wigi, unless Wigi lags like crazy or is already half dead before the figtht.

And because of Wigis passive healing and sanity regen (and of corse her gear) Wigi is a very good nomad too, you don´t even have to cook your meat, if you have enough spiders to attack. So eating berries, carrots is not a great advantage in most situations (it is most of the time a huge waste of food to not use them as filler) and a science machine and crockpot are very easy to make, so she can use berries and co as filler too, so her only drawback is actually almost no drawback at all.

Wolfgang can kill Wigi, but only if she cant dodge, he has dozens of powerfull range weapons or he has way more (2x-3x times) food than her.

And as far as I can tell in most scenarios I killed Wolfgangs with Wigis and got killed with Wolfgangs by Wigis. So as Wolfgang it is not nearly enough to be way more experienced than Wigfrid players, you must also quiet lucky not see Wigi to early and you have to find a tone of material to kill that girl after many days runing after her.

This starter kit for wigfrid is OP. if she has lotta food and you joined to game and she is at portal, you will not even have a chance unless you disconnect. Her spear is not the best but that helmet is too OP. Other than that, I see no advantage of her over wolfgang if it is middle to late game... But again wigfrid or any other char cannot even kill a wes with more food with only melee combat since your opponent who is wes will run away from you infinitely (if his food stock prevails he will run away from you successfully).. What I am saying is in a melee combat only game, Wigfrid will be the one who will run away from wolfgang if its a middle to late game. All games would be draw if 2 sides know what they are doing (any versus in melee combat only game with any char). Ranged weapons change the game strategy alot.. This is another concept also teaming ofcourse.

For a group gameplay in non-pvp I only prefer wigfrid in the team due to her helmet... For power I would seek wolfgang more than a wigfrid.. But as you said, wolfgang has special needs, his preparation for battle even takes a lot of time eating food to fill ur hunger while others start fighting right away lol. These are ridiculous points of wolfgang. You always have to watch ur hunger and you should eat even inside battle, attack the treeguard kite and eat in the interval a bit more to have more damage. Kinda slow guy to prepare but once it is ready he compensates that time lost. It is like a cannon in a battle.. Most powerful weapon yet so sluggish. Can be fragile and useless if you dont take care of him. I just love to manage his hunger for some reason. Definitely most interesting character for me in dont starve and my favorite.. Thatswhy I dont like this title. wolfgang does not suck. He is too bad for a newbie and most OP char for an experienced player. Who can kill a deerclops in 8 seconds in dont starve and 16 secs in dst? damn OP..

This starter kit for wigfrid is OP. if she has lotta food and you joined to game and she is at portal, you will not even have a chance unless you disconnect. Her spear is not the best but that helmet is too OP. Other than that, I see no advantage of her over wolfgang if it is middle to late game... But again wigfrid or any other char cannot even kill a wes with more food with only melee combat since your opponent who is wes will run away from you indefinitely (if his food stock prevails he will run away from you successfully).. What I am saying is in a melee combat only game, Wigfrid will be the one who will run away from wolfgang if its a middle to late game. All games would be draw if 2 sides know what they are doing (any versus in melee combat only game with any char). Ranged weapons change the game strategy alot.. This is another concept also teaming ofcourse.

For a group gameplay in non-pvp I only prefer wigfrid in the team due to her helmet... For power I would seek wolfgang more than a wigfrid.. But as you said, wolfgang has special needs, his preparation for battle even takes a lot of time eating food to fill ur hunger while others start fighting right away lol. These are ridiculous points of wolfgang. You always have to watch ur hunger and you should eat even inside battle, attack the treeguard kite and eat in the interval a bit more to have more damage. Kinda slow guy to prepare but once it is ready he compensates that time lost. It is like a cannon in a battle.. Most powerful weapon yet so sluggish. Can be fragile and useless if you dont take care of him. I just love to manage his hunger for some reason. Definitely most interesting character for me in dont starve and my favorite.. Thatswhy I dont like this title. wolfgang does not suck. He is too bad for a newbie and most OP char for an experienced player. Who can kill a deerclops in 8 seconds in dont starve and 16 secs in dst? damn OP..

Yes indeed, I like Wolfgang too. He is strong as hell and just looks very great while normal or migthy.

Also, if you see a player choose Wolfgang on a random server, that player is most likely extremly skilled and if you are not a hermit player or very paranoid, it could be a good idea to team up with Wolfgang.

That beeing said, I saw yesterday a Wolfgang that was 3 days in mighty form only to catch butterflys and bees...so there are still some "idiots" or beginners left.

Archived