Tutorial: How to kill stuff in DST

Discussion:

Please post below if you have any tips / suggestions for fighting other monsters (or the creatures i fight in the video).

Avoid troll / flame posts if you can... (i know some people have problems with this)

I see a lot of people die to stupid stuff in DST, so I posted this video to hopefully help new players survive long enough for me to kill them.

TURN OFF MOVEMENT PREDICTION TO HUNT

press "~"

ThePlayer:EnableMovementPrediction(false)

Press Enter

Other tips to survive easily...

Make a cooking pot quickly to make a few meatballs / meat stews with the meat you have ASAP.  If you think you're going to be low on food stay away from areas that have no food.  I've seen people run to rocky area to mine when they have no food....

Yep.  Terrorbeaks are the easiest thing in the game to kill without getting hit and 90% of the people on the public servers that I don't kill die to these.

Also, I see a lot of people die from darkness.  Just log out then back in.  It spawns a light halo.

This video is like a picture of a big mac, it's way more ugly for real. I've never managed to kill a rabbit this way, I can't kite merms since they always manage to escape before my first strike, and tentacles are almost random. But maybe with this movement prediction thing ? I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable with that semi-intended code line.

Honestly I can see this being a very good guideline for new players. So on that I say well done.

However if I do have but one grievance it would be the this: Y U NO 6 HIT BEEFY?

Cause it depends on the server lag.  If it's low lag you can do 6... medium lag 4-5... etc.

As I mention in the video description, depending on server lag you will need to reduce number of hits before you dodge.

In no game should using the console be necessary. Encouraging new players to cheat just isn't right, guys.

Wtf? Them screaming like ******* as they get hit is an instant turn on

God I hate you.

The movement prediction command isnt cheating, it is so you can see more accurate information about where you are standing and what you are doing. With prediction on, when you try to move you move instantly on your screen but in reality (and to everyone else on the server) it takes a sec before you start moving, because of lag. Disabling movement prediction basically just shows your character the same way that everyone else sees; otherwise, there's no difference to the gameplay. Lag still affects you, since there is now lag between your screen/the server and your keyboard, rather than having the lag between your keyboard/screen and the server.

Also, if you have rubberbanding issues, it should fix them, btw

The movement prediction command isnt cheating, it is so you can see more accurate information about where you are standing and what you are doing. With prediction on, when you try to move you move instantly on your screen but in reality (and to everyone else on the server) it takes a sec before you start moving, because of lag. Disabling movement prediction basically just shows your character the same way that everyone else sees; otherwise, there's no difference to the gameplay. Lag still affects you, since there is now lag between your screen/the server and your keyboard, rather than having the lag between your keyboard/screen and the server.

Also, if you have rubberbanding issues, it should fix them, btw

However, while that is it's intent, that's not what it's used for. With this, it makes it insanely difficult for other players to target you, and, it also throws off mobs as your actual location is different than what it should be.

This is just on your own; if a player dodges a shadow creature's attack, the if two or more players simultaneously start attacking the shadow creature, they can tank it without getting a hit and kill it in a matter of milliseconds. The power of multiplayer :D

However, while that is it's intent, that's not what it's used for. With this, it makes it insanely difficult for other players to target you, and, it also throws off mobs as your actual location is different than what it should be.

To be honest, I'm not all that sure about the meaning and logic behind your latter statement, since disabling movement prediction switches your stategraph between you and the server's. It doesn't change your global position at all, and for real, it literally doesn't alter any bit of data that could fool mob AI and states; it has no impact on the server. This is why it can be accessed via client-sided console commands.

The interesting reasoning in the fact that players find it difficult to targer a fellow that keeps his prediction shut is that the trouble only affects folks that choose to keep the fluidity-induced gameplay, and therefore they have the prediction on. Since the movement prediction function adds another factor that the server must count before registering your actions, that is the smoothness of the game, you put at risk your timing which results in bad pvp experience. You could say you put an obstacle in your face by not disabling prediction.

I've had a hard time getting a first hit in when fighting someone else that decided the command is well worth it. The choppiness traded for the smoothness reduces lots of nuisances and I came across lots of instances in which the hits were registered at the same times no matter the ping; no one had a first hit. That doesn't mean low ping doesn't help tho.

To be honest, I'm not all that sure about the meaning and logic behind your latter statement, since disabling movement prediction switches your stategraph between you and the server's. It doesn't change your global position at all, and for real, it literally doesn't alter any bit of data that could fool mob AI and states; it has no impact on the server. This is why it can be accessed via client-sided console commands.

The interesting reasoning in the fact that players find it difficult to targer a fellow that keeps his prediction shut is that the trouble only affects folks that choose to keep the fluidity-induced gameplay, and therefore they have the prediction on. Since the movement prediction function adds another factor that the server must count before registering your actions, that is the smoothness of the game, you put at risk your timing which results in bad pvp experience. You could say you put an obstacle in your face by not disabling prediction.

I've had a hard time getting a first hit in when fighting someone else that decided the command is well worth it. The choppiness traded for the smoothness reduces lots of nuisances and I came across lots of instances in which the hits were registered at the same times no matter the ping; no one had a first hit. That doesn't mean low ping doesn't help tho.

What I mean by this is that in my experience of using it, it's confused mobs. 

Merms swinging in spots further than they normally do, bishops believe it or not missing obvious shots, rooks doing- well, I always found rooks incredibly easy to dodge as you can be standing east of them and the rook goes "OH HE'S 2 STEPS EAST LET ME CHARGE 5 MILES NORTH"

Archived