DST Banning Reasons?

I'm rather new to DST, so bear with me. I joined a server and the ones on it were happy to let me join. I attempted to find them and ended up dying, and the host ended up banning me to prevent me from joining again. May I ask why that would be a valid reason to ban a player so I can be more careful in the future?

While I'm on this topic, what are valid reasons to ban players on any server I host? It would be nice to know to keep troublemakers away.

I'm rather new to DST, so bear with me. I joined a server and the ones on it were happy to let me join. I attempted to find them and ended up dying, and the host ended up banning me to prevent me from joining again. May I ask why that would be a valid reason to ban a player so I can be more careful in the future?

While I'm on this topic, what are valid reasons to ban players on any server I host? It would be nice to know to keep troublemakers away.

must have been a madmin but the only reason would be griefing / trolling

There's a fun mini-game in don't starve together... it's see if you can kill the admin and destroy their base before they ban you.  You have to be crafty but it can be done. ;)

Usually you have to kill the admin last with a ham bat before he can ban you after convincing him a different player burned his base down.

*quote*

Sadly, there are a lot of "weird" (unreasonable) hosts like that. They probably did it because they can't be bothered to resurrect the ghost. Either due to lack of resources or talent or just general trust. Some trolls grief by dying on servers and just haunting things and draining people's sanity.

There are lots of funny stories of random bans on forum. One guy got banned for making meatballs. I got banned because I was "a girl". There was a time when some servers banned you if you choose Willow.  And most of us have also been banned at least once just by logging in. You can see how clueless some hosts are, as they don't even know they can create a password-protected server only for friends.

Based on your story, it wasn't your fault you got banned. Just hop around and try to find better servers to play on.

If you're the host, you can set any rules you like. Although I'm hoping you'd be more responsible and fair. (ie) Only ban those who are griefing and destroying other people's bases. Except in PVP where anything is fair, including destroying enemy resources. (If you're hosting PVP, please don't make it a Survival type server. Salty ghosts sometimes stay on and just set their enemy's base on fire for revenge.)

PS I can't mention you on forums. I get an error that the name mentioned should only contain alphanumeric characters. O__O

PvE: Hahaha... I don't play PvE silly, I LIKE keeping my base alive.

PvP: I ban for combat logging, and some cases of people being complete meanies, I kick people if they need an attitude adjustment or if they go AFK in character selection when the server is almost full.

May I ask why that would be a valid reason to ban a player so I can be more careful in the future?

Their server their rules, 9 times outta 10 that person made that server with a specific playstyle in mind, if someone doesn't fit that they might kick/ban you. Also a good rule of thumb is to not try to make the host angry!

An interesting example / stpry of this is what me and my group do. We don't do it every time but if we're in the mood we will. We have worked out a clean and easy way to farm massive amounts of scales by day 5 on any server (About 5-10 scales a day depending on how dedicated we are feeling) Now when the majority of people see my walking around in scalemail on day 1-500 they hit tab and see the word Admin next to my name, they then put 2+2 together and throw in a massive heap of the mentallity that everyone is as bad at the game as them AND WHAT'S THAT EQUAL? You guessed it! They must be cheating!!! Lets call them out and piss them off so they have to explain for the 11th time that day that they are in fact just that good. 

Basically what I'm saying is, if they have Thulecite armour or something stupid, they're clearly cheating. But if they have something that is in the game faster than when you are used to getting that item, perhaps start by asking for tips?

P.S It is 4:30AM here so if I make no sense then yell at me, I think that makes sense but I can't exactly tell...

PS I can't mention you on forums. I get an error that the name mentioned should only contain alphanumeric characters. O__O

Oh, so this was what you were talking about... this happened to me when I try to mention TheLetterW back then... I just removed the "_" and it got through... but I don't think it will show up on her notif O__O

Also...

*insert quote here* Welcome to DST

You can also check out the server bulletins here in the forums to find a suitable server of your liking... or make a request yourself and ask for help :)

I always hate banning/kicking.  It's the least pleasant, most sucky, part of running a dedicated server.

Typically I don't see anything.  So what I get is word from players that someone is griefing.  If I'm lucky it's from a trusted player who I know and see around, often it's not.  (because it's a big world and a lot of people wander through my servers)

Sometimes it's obvious and a rollback plus a ban is the clear and correct answer.  More often it's less clear, maybe they were just burning a forest for charcoal and it happened to be near some pig-houses, or someone built too close to the trees that are now smoldering.  I usually hear from the person in question that they're new, or not trying to cause trouble.  And at that point my decision gets ugly;  I can ban or kick the person (in which case I'm ruining someone else's game if they're not trolling) or I can choose not to ban/kick them in which case I risk them burning and hammering everything down.  (and I might not be present later to roll things back)

There's rarely good proof of intent, and a good griefer will make motive a point of contention.  In the end I usually end up angering someone.

It makes me want to turn PvP on for my Wilderness server and let people take care of it themselves, but I don't want to run a PvP server, so not yet.  (Survival servers I don't care about, griefers are just one more way in which DST can kill you, learn to adapt, the worlds on Survival servers never last long anyway so it's not like the griefer can do any meaningful damage.)

I'd do the same. Noobs have no place in DST. Go play singleplayer and learn the game first before joining multiplayer. That way you won't be a burden on everyone else.

Hope this helps.

(Yes, this is another account. I dumped the old one.) That's very rude of you to say. I've played this game for a very long time and am well beyond the point of a "noob." The reason I died was the fact that I had no armor when a meteor hit me. As it was winter and I kept freezing, my health was low enough for that to kill me. What wasn't helping was the fact that they were giving vague information on where their base was. But in any case, I'm past that, as now I only use servers with friends.

The purpose of this thread is to help understand the game better, not to post flamebait.

(Yes, this is another account. I dumped the old one.) That's very rude of you to say. I've played this game for a very long time and am well beyond the point of a "noob." The reason I died was the fact that I had no armor when a meteor hit me. As it was winter and I kept freezing, my health was low enough for that to kill me. What wasn't helping was the fact that they were giving vague information on where their base was. But in any case, I'm past that, as now I only use servers with friends.

The purpose of this thread is to help understand the game better, not to post flamebait.

You say you've played this game for a long time and aren't a noob, but then go on to admit that you were freezing in winter and your health was low enough that a meteorite killed you.

Does. Not. Compute.

The only thing I can think of is that you joined the server in winter. Which is... how shall I put this... well, it's a silly thing to do. Hopefully you learned not to do it.

The ban isn't permanent. Don't put any energy into analyzing the actions of server hosts. The host probably didn't know the console command to revive players (I've come across this a lot).

Play the game as best you can and have fun.

While it may have been a rude delivery, I am inclined to agree with enragedcamel on that. It's worth one's time to learn the game before interacting with others within it.

But don't take that as an insinuation that I am against you. Explanations should be required before a ban.

Archived