I couldn't resist...

I was just playing in some public server, and everything was working fine. From reading the chat I learned that there were 3 guys in some hidden camp in the north of the map. I was minding my own business during the playthrough, when one of those 3 guys, a WX-78, started saying he needed food and sanity, so I decided to go find their camp and give him some gears. So I did that. He ate some, and they made some more fridges. They had a nice camp and it was winter, so they told me that even though the camp was for 3 persons, I could go there during the night to avoid freezing, or eat, or sleep in a tent, whatever.

As the night was approaching, I returned to the camp with some sanity mushrooms for all of us. I got to the camp first and... I burnt everything. Racks, machines, crops, trees, farms, chests, everything. I ate all the food and started wandering around the camp saying via chat that someone had burnt our camp. Needless to say, they started raging like hell. After a few seconds, 1 of them left, and then I confessed my crime to the other 2. The 2 remaining players started puking rage towards me. And then they left. I laughed my ass out and left.

Well, now, the reason I post this in this subforum is because I want this discussion to center around the 'Why?' and not around the story. I've never griefed before, not once in any game. And I've always despised griefers in every game. What is it that griefers find funny when they destroy a base? I know for certain I did not have ONE reason to burn that camp, but I did it anyway. I just did it and I liked it. Why was that fun?

*awaits a scientifically-smart explanation from someone*

*clears throat*

Human conventions... something, something... release from the norm... something, something... Ferguson... something, something... my little pony and bronies... something, something... the inner self... blah blah blah... noobs.

O__O

We are a deeply social species. The most essential part of a human is to be entrenched in a complex reward system for the comprehension and indulgence of social interaction. What that means is that we need to have some sort of effect on other people, and others will inevitably have profound effects on us. We see this even when people attack inanimate objects out of rage; they do so in a mental framework of anthropomorphization; it won't do to attack a rock without attributing to it human attributes so that we can cause pain. 

It's wonderful to love and be loved, but the cost is a lot of time and effort. It's much easier to affect people by pouring negativity into them. People naturally are much more likely to direct their attention and respond to negativity. Want to immediately get someone's attention? Insult them. Now they are focused on you. You aroused an acute emotional response that revolves around you. You did it. You are the center, the owner of power and control in this moment, and it's delicious. 

We are a deeply social species. The most essential part of a human is to be entrenched in a complex reward system for the comprehension and indulgence of social interaction. What that means is that we need to have some sort of effect on other people, and others will inevitably have profound effects on us. We see this even when people attack inanimate objects out of rage; they do so in a mental framework of anthropomorphization; it won't do to attack a rock without attributing to it human attributes so that we can cause pain. 

It's wonderful to love and be loved, but the cost is a lot of time and effort. It's much easier to affect people by pouring negativity into them. People naturally are much more likely to direct their attention and respond to negativity. Want to immediately get someone's attention? Insult them. Now they are focused on you. You aroused an acute emotional response that revolves around you. You did it. You are the center, the owner of power and control in this moment, and it's delicious. 

This seems logical and coherent. You are probably right.

Want to immediately get someone's attention?

This is also the reason he confessed to doing it. He wanted attention, even if it was a subconscious attempt at attention it was still just that.

It's also the reason why people in PvP servers proclaim their strength across the server and lord their power over players that have just joined, it creates anger towards them and often inspire players to try and kill them thus giving them what they wanted, attention and a good fight.

It's wonderful to love and be loved, but the cost is a lot of time and effort. It's much easier to affect people by pouring negativity into them. People naturally are much more likely to direct their attention and respond to negativity. Want to immediately get someone's attention? Insult them. Now they are focused on you. You aroused an acute emotional response that revolves around you. You did it. You are the center, the owner of power and control in this moment, and it's delicious.

Or if you're a highly thick person about insults you might just not give a crap about what they're saying (which is actually a good thing) or if you get insulted and pay attention to it, you might start thinking more as to why the other person did that; in a way, insulting motivates thinking.

Also, if you do something bad just because it is easier to feel the sense of accomplishment in the end faster, well the sense will also go away faster, where as if you do something longer that is worth while, the feeling of accomplishment will also last longer, so, your choice in this case is:

* Do something quickly and get a quick sense of accomplishment which results in something bad overall

* Do something worth while and get a longer sense of accomplishment which results in something good overall

We often choose the first option, however at some point in our lives the second one has occurred and we've been keen on trying to acconplish it. The reason why the first one is done so much more frequently is because we don't have enough time. Our lives are stuffed with enough crap as it is and trying to do something great during your free time will just get you kore exhausted. Hence why I've been waiting for my exam bullshit to be over to then get back into more in-depth modding; it's to not echaust myself or not to do anything stupid.

Out of context, has anyone had that moment when you're saying something insulting to someone, but you don't just mean it as an insult but actually mean what you say? Yeah, I had a ton of those.

@XirmiX

im-projecting.jpg

You're starting to sound like my old religion teacher... o.o Slow it down Xirmy.. Slow it down.

Out of context, has anyone had that moment when you're saying something insulting to someone, but you don't just mean it as an insult but actually mean what you say? Yeah, I had a ton of those.

Hmm.

It's like if you kill an innocent person for no reason what so ever and then ask the witnesses why you did it. Wtf is wrong you you?!

No.. no it's nothing like that actually... 

I hate it when people make a point and don't explain themselves.

I hate it when people like you start coming in here with all the rage in the world when we're just trying to have a funny conversation.

Seriously, take some cold medication  a chill pill.

I hate it when people like you start coming in here with all the rage in the world when we're just trying to have a funny conversation.

Seriously, take some cold medication  a chill pill.

Dude, I'm not being angry. Just your weird freakin' interpretation! [bad pun inserted]

You did it. You are the center, the owner of power and control in this moment, and it's delicious.

I have had griefers that after burning **** down, they stuck around explaining me why they did it.

"I wanted attention. You didn't give me anything to eat.", bla bla bla.

After a prolonged monologue I just replied them with "lel, gtfo ******: then they went nuts.

I do believe here we have:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusive_thought

Everybody experiences them, mental people more than others. You just acted on one.

I was just playing in some public server, and everything was working fine. From reading the chat I learned that there were 3 guys in some hidden camp in the north of the map. I was minding my own business during the playthrough, when one of those 3 guys, a WX-78, started saying he needed food and sanity, so I decided to go find their camp and give him some gears. So I did that. He ate some, and they made some more fridges. They had a nice camp and it was winter, so they told me that even though the camp was for 3 persons, I could go there during the night to avoid freezing, or eat, or sleep in a tent, whatever.

As the night was approaching, I returned to the camp with some sanity mushrooms for all of us. I got to the camp first and... I burnt everything. Racks, machines, crops, trees, farms, chests, everything. I ate all the food and started wandering around the camp saying via chat that someone had burnt our camp. Needless to say, they started raging like hell. After a few seconds, 1 of them left, and then I confessed my crime to the other 2. The 2 remaining players started puking rage towards me. And then they left. I laughed my ass out and left.

Well, now, the reason I post this in this subforum is because I want this discussion to center around the 'Why?' and not around the story. I've never griefed before, not once in any game. And I've always despised griefers in every game. What is it that griefers find funny when they destroy a base? I know for certain I did not have ONE reason to burn that camp, but I did it anyway. I just did it and I liked it. Why was that fun?

Simple....misery loves company. People are jealous of what others can do since they are clearly not skilled enough to do so, so they destroy it.

Simple....misery loves company. People are jealous of what others can do since they are clearly not skilled enough to do so, so they destroy it.

? Didn't I just said that I saved them via handing them gears since his partner was dying?

Anyway, Arcita hit the nail on the head, everything else sounds like bullshit.

• Developer
I hate it when people make a point and don't explain themselves.

Oh, and when people don't listen to logic, imply theories, ideas and such, don't agree with you and simply have arguments you cannot refute, Oh... ain't that so annoying? 

Oh, and when people don't listen to logic, imply theories, ideas and such, don't agree with you and simply have arguments you cannot refute, Oh... ain't that so annoying?

Yes, that is annoying indeed. And not to be offensive here, but you can kind of speak for yourself there.

I realized how important a leader is to a group. A person to constantly remind you how important your work is. A person to appraise you, to aspire you, to guide instruction to you when you just joined the server. Without a leader, people will be rebels. I have seen many anarchies fail in the public servers. This is why I took the role for sometime to be that leader. From my experience, you had to talk a lot. sacrifice your resources for your group. Constantly give commands to people, as vague as possible so the don't just stand in the camp dong nothing.

A leader steers the fate of that group.Since resource management should always be kept in check by one person , tell people what the camp needs. More ice for flingomatic? Ask someone to mine ice. More monster meat? ...  People will generally volunteer to perform these tasks just to get the privilege to use the camp. If no one says a thing, then the camp will always be stale. More potatoes, less production, less food. 

PS.

from experience:

I learned how to spot griefers quickly. I know labelling is a bad thing but you just know that point where a innocent person goes berserk. 

A leader steers the fate of that group.Since resource management should always be kept in check by one person , tell people what the camp needs.

You also have the people that go: "Waht do you watn me to do????!"

You answer them: "We need wood, here's an axe and a shovel."

Then they follow you around like a satellite after chopping one tree.

"Les go chop wood." "No, you go, I'm going to hunt spiders." "Ok, les go for spaders."

We go for spiders.

I kill 3 spiders, he goes and hits the nest, gets rekt. I revive them.

"I hope you learned something. Now go chop wood, we need the wood."

Goes back, hits the nest, and dies again. Disconnects.

I'm going to write a book: "How to follow instructions: the movie: the game: the book".

Archived