Fireflies

So. I found out that you can get infinite light by dropping fireflies in your base.

How many do you have to drop to keep it lit up enough for you to live in?

I have about 11 fireflies in my base and they are sort of enough. (I have to run between fireflies to stay alive)

While this is true, you can keep your base lit with fireflies, there is no practical reason to. If you have a stone fireplace, you simply need to put a single rope (burns much longer than 3 grass) on the fireplace and it will last you all night (and into mid day too xD)

However, if you just want your base to be lit by the buggers, the number you need will depend on the size of your base. I would just put as many as you can fit and or find.

post-5293-13764589638226_thumb.jpg

Here is what I have done with most of the fireflies I have caught. Still have 30 left and I am still trying to decide what to do with them. I wish the game keeps generating more of them like birds or bunnies so that I can catch them and increase my collection!

Omg urs is so much prettier than mine!! I did that too with 26 fireflies but i still need to make a fire at night cus i realized that when one goes out i'm in total darkness unless I run around all night :p

And how did u make that bird cage?? :D

Omg urs is so much prettier than mine!! I did that too with 26 fireflies but i still need to make a fire at night cus i realized that when one goes out i'm in total darkness unless I run around all night :p

And how did u make that bird cage?? :D

Bird cage is new, you can now research it from the magic machine and then build it with paper, gold and something else I forget what. It's a great thing because you can feed any vegetable from your farm to the birds you put in, and they will poop seeds for THAT vegetable, meaning once you get a couple of dragon fruit, you can feed them to your birds, and they normally poop 2-3 seeds for each one you feed them, meaning infinite dragon fruit (or other vegetable you want to use) with just a birdcage and some farm plots.

I never saw something or someone, who ate fireflies and I couldn't imagine which monster schould do that.

Erm...frogs, maybe? :rolleyes:

Althou that wouln't make much difference, who camps on a swamp anyways?

And even if, the frogs dont stray so far from their ponds...

I noticed that fireflies go dark when you walk close to them, so you would have to keep moving around over a large group of them so they would relight in time for you to walk over them again without being in the dark for too long.

Fireflies are no use as a light source from the ground really, except for decoration. In the screenshot above they do look great, but of no practical use since once you have a firepit wood and other fuel types are so abundant, a fire is a much more practical solution.

Like if you are using fireflies, you can't really get anything done in their light, such as chopping down trees or cooking because the light would go out as Soon as you stood still on them and would get you killed in the dark.

I also have a lot of fireflies :)

This is not true w0bbl3r, you can stand there in a way that some still light you enough to count as standing in light. Hence you don't need to make a fire if you don't want to. Edit: I agree in so far as that you can't really work in the light of fireflies all that much. And burning mats are abundant.

enpbbbww.jpg

Edited by Sharza

Fireflies are great if your playing as willow, she starts fires in the dark so as long as you don't step near something flammable you can conserve fuel by only using the fire pit to cook or for those times when you hear dogs and such coming. The fireflies let you see everything so you can walk around from one useful item to another using them in the "dark" and avoiding the stuff that would catch fire.

To the players using them in their base :

Don't they cause FPS issues ? When I found out about them, I caught about 80 fireflies and put them everywhere in my base. It looked really nice, but the framerate dropped. While it didn't become unplayable in any way, it was noticeable enough to bother me and in the end I removed them entirely (had to remake all my bug nets to catch them again...).

By the way, I don't have a super high-end PC, but mine is decent enough to run Far Cry 3 on mid/high settings at 50+ fps.

To the players using them in their base :

Don't they cause FPS issues ?

Not for me. Maybe it is a hardware specific problem? I have a GF 460 GTX and a AMD X2 5400+, 4 GB RAM, so anything but high end. Graphics drivers are the newest available and so is DX.

You can survive by running between fireflies a whole night, but you will have to move between more than one spot or put them in such a pattern that you're not "scaring them away" and still have some light on you. I haven't tested that, but I have a ring of fireflies around the whole camp so I can run in circles if need be.