Fireside Chats (with a video game designer) - June 20, 2014

Thanks for such a detailed post!

Part of me likes the idea that other players can't see a ghost and can only tell their presence by the ghost's interactions with stuff, but that does sound like a really cool mechanic.

And I too am in favour of releasing the list of puns.

That ghost mechanic does sound cool! Imagine having to build a huge resurrection totem and perform the ritual to bring ghost back to rife!

Resurrection Totem

"Who said death was permanent?!"

The ritual could be to run around thetotem all the night, like I do each night with my campfire xD

The ritual could be to run around thetotem all the night, like I do each night with my campfire xD

How I see it is; it would be a very higher tier item; an item that manages to exploit the manipulative powers of 'them' and use it to bring back a character.

Some sort of 'energy sucker' that drains a power that is more refined than nightmare fuel that can bring back the dead/

Just thought of this, what if you could sacrifice a permanent part of your health to revive the dead, with them being revived with that amount of health. (Could be permanent part or not for the revived, have not decided.)

It could be done at some sort of sacrifice structure, or it could be done at the player's body. (Which could be interesting, giving the ghost a reason to interact with the environment, so it can lead the other players to the body.)

Also, to help with the Revival Time problem with the Effigies and the Stones, perhaps when it's night or dusk, before reviving, if gives you a warning saying "Say Pal, It's a Pretty Dangerous Time to Go Back!", and you could either wait for revival, or revive right now. (Perhaps you could be a ghost form in this phase too, to lead a partner to light up the effigy/stone.)

I have a question which I think is fundamental and essential for the development of this game that MUST be addressed as soon as possible....Will there or will there not be cannibalism in Don´t Starve Together? Thank you. 

I want to eat people´s eyes. Please.

I don't think they would go so far as make eyes or legs for you to eat. If it's implemented(please be) it would probably be just a lump of meat

I have a question which I think is fundamental and essential for the development of this game that MUST be addressed as soon as possible....Will there or will there not be cannibalism in Don´t Starve Together? Thank you. 

I want to eat people´s eyes. Please.

Meat Jerky Wilson

"Now with hair removed!"

Meat Jerky Willow

"Charred to perfection!"

Meat Jerky Wolfgang

"A bit fattening; but what isn't these days?"

Meat Jerky Wendy

"Go on; eat up!"

Meat Jerky WX-78

"Contains 700% of your daily copper needs!"

Meat Jerky Wickerbottom

"Vintage meat; fresh off the rack!"

Meat Jerky Wes

"C'est une certaine amende manger droit ici!"

Meat Jerky Maxwell

"Tastes like dapper!"

Meat Jerky Wigfrid

"Rich in protein and Valkyrie delusion!"

Meat Jerky Webber

"You must have a strong stomach to eat this!"

Oh and on a serious note @SethR; where did the concept of Wigfrid come from? Why was an entirely new character (yes, I know she has some traits of Winnie; oh people who want to contradict me) created rater than implement an existing one like Wallace or Waverley?

What happened to the original Don't Starve designers/programmers, such as Kevin, Alia and Ipsquiggle? Have they abandoned Don't Starve development?

Could be wrong on this, but I could've sworn I remembered hearing elsewhere that the old team members who were never really for multiplayer in the first place, will be working on content for the singleplayer, while the new additions work on multiplayer.

Could be wrong on this, but I could've sworn I remembered hearing elsewhere that the old team members who were never really for multiplayer in the first place, will be working on content for the singleplayer, while the new additions work on multiplayer.

Kevin moved to PS4 development as soon as he knew DS needed controller support, so I would guess he's also going to be working on the PSP version too.

What if... players could revive each other, using craft system?

"Dead" player is a ghost, while "alive" is looking for components, like skin (pigs have some :p), rope, meat (or poop). Then "alive" player come close to "dead" player`s skeleton and fill it with combination of meat(poop), skin and sew it with ropes. Bingo! Your friend is alive and looks like a Frankenstein now. Could be even different skin.

Well, its just an idea. You have my support anyways  :encouragement:

Meat Jerky Wes

"C'est une certaine amende manger droit ici!"

It doesn't mean anything x) What did you try to say ?

How I reacted to the hollow... hum... Ghost health penalty : "Huh... Better use a Human Effigy..."

After Don't starve Together is released, here is an idea for you:

Make Don't starve The Way which would mean something like another Adventure mode which would let you fully finish the game in the end. Cause all's well that Maxwell :)

Archived