Fireside Chats (with a video game designer) - June 20, 2014

So if players can be revived from ghost form, what about the other ghosts like Abby? ( May of been mentioned, though I looked through three times and didn't see it. Blame the stupid addicting 3D puzzles.)

I once suggested that when the shadow hands reach the fire, they posses it and start doing things similar to the haunt mechanic. Picking up items to be annoying was one of them, though shifting the fire light around was my favorite.

If the haunt mechanic becomes official, can the shadow hands get some forms of haunting power as well? Right now they couldn't be less of a threat.

Maybe even let the night light cause similar shenanigans that could be used in strategic way? Like a passive base defense? It keeps winning the most useless item award on the wiki.

or make the night light cause "dead" players to be completely solid while in its radius.

or make the night light cause "dead" players to be completely solid while in its radius.

To be attack-able or save-able?

The main community suggestions revolving the night light is based off real how night lights being a comfort in the darkness. That is where my idea came from.

To be attack-able or save-able?

The main community suggestions revolving the night light is based off real how night lights being a comfort in the darkness. That is where my idea came from.

to be able to do whatever a ghost can't, I would assume. the safety makes sense except that its fuel is made of nightmares :razz:

to be able to do whatever a ghost can't, I would assume. the safety makes sense except that it's fuel is made of nightmares :razz:

I never said it was the most sane way to add a bit of protection to the camp.

Adventure Mode's "ending" is not an ending at ALL. Just a continuation of the same old thing. Minecraft actually doesn't have an ending, a wall of text after beating the Enderdragon, but that's it. Frankly, you could rename The End to just about anything and it wouldn't have lost anything.

Don't Starve still, still needs an endgame. What's the point of trying to survive forever if there's no real reward for doing so? May as well just have Wilson commit suicide and find something more productive to do. Minecraft is allowed to not have a real ending because of all the things you can do in the game once you're well off, particularly in the building department. The same can NOT be said about Don't Starve. Late game is either lacking or not there at all, and there's so very little you can do besides plopping up more bases everywhere, which isn't really creative. Okay, sure, you have walls and flooring, but that only gets you so far. Don't Starve needs an ending because it's NOT Minecraft. It's NOT a building-centric game. It's a survival-centric game.

okay, yeah. I kinda misunderstood what you meant. I thought you meant a story-ending, not end-game content. Sorry.

I agree, the game does desperatly need late-game content and dangers(one more reason I'm against Don't Starve's new focus on development being MP)

Well, frankly, I want BOTH. Re-read the part where I said that Wilson should just commit suicide because there's literally no actual ending.

And I thought the "ending thing that doesn't really end" was now the "W gang" gets to finally be together! 

WX-78 wouldn't have a ghost, and you'd have to repair him with either a ton of wood, rope and gold, or gears.

Of course he doesn't have a  ghost or a soul...he has an avatar! :grin:

Ooooh, I really like the idea of other players physically repairing his body!

Seriously, me too. 

But this does raise up questions on whether certain characters have better/worse features when it comes to death/resurrection. I'd say for instance it should be easier for WX to be "returned" as he's more a "repair and reload" situation, while Wendy might be more difficult as she wants to "stay" with her sister (and if we could now "bring back ghosts," explain why Wendy's  sister Abigail couldn't be resurrected of course.) 

I think that it should be more "uncompromising" as Don't Starve always was. When one of the players dies others sanity drops to 0 and can't be refilled. They are able to revive dead player using meat effigies, amulets or touchstones. When dead player comes back to life others sanity restores. With this solution game wouldn't loose it's permadeath aspect which is important to make players fear of it. Also it wouldn't change the session into singleplayer because others couldn't survive a long time on 0 sanity and would be forced to revive dead player as fast as they can. Please at least consider adding such option to choose.

Will we get to see official gameplay? Most famous youtubers suck at Dont Starve and i would much rathee see a klei employee introducing the game than a youtuber.

Sorry for the typos, on phone..

Are you asking for a manual to surviving together? Nobody taught you base Don't Starve, so nobody would teach you Don't Starve Together.

If you really want unentertaining pro-gameplay videos, watch the not-so-popular youtubers. Let me think of some right of the top: DireWolf (I don't know if he plays DS), Will Strife, Idon Twatch, MuchyoUtube;

There is even more video material on Twitch and alike.

Will we get to see official gameplay? Most famous youtubers suck at Dont Starve and i would much rathee see a klei employee introducing the game than a youtuber.

Sorry for the typos, on phone..

Are you asking for a manual to surviving together? Nobody taught you base Don't Starve, so nobody would teach you Don't Starve Together.

If you really want unentertaining pro-gameplay videos, watch the not-so-popular youtubers. Let me think of some right of the top: DireWolf (I don't know if he plays DS), Will Strife, Idon Twatch, MuchyoUtube;

There is even more video material on Twitch and alike.

Maybe if you ask really nicely, a Klei employee will show you their playstyle, but what Mobbstar wrote.

PAX is for the players to experience what the developers were hard at work on for months, not to show video of devs playing. 

I went to PAX as an exhibitor (headset company) and played the DST demo and spoke with SethR very briefly about the game. He was a very knowledgeable, friendly, (handsome?) fellow that affirmed my belief that this baby is in the proper, dedicated hands. There is no doubt in my mind that we starving fans (pun intended) will find the next chapter in the Don't Starve story far more exciting and dynamic than ever before.

Side Note: The demo was ******* rad! 

Archived