Things that are not fun

There are some aspects of this game which make it almost impossible to plan correctly or have a survival strategy that works. I can easily make it hundreds of days and these things are still too much.

1) Raining frogs. You can have a marble suit, morning star, 120 sticks/etc in your first slots and be wearing the battle helm plus a row of a dozen tooth traps and they will STILL kill you. It is not possible to deal with this. It forces you to suddenly abandon your base at any time and trapping them all without dying can take days.

2) Smoldering. I've taken to turning it off. Randomly burning down the players base is insanely poor design. As a character flaw that is one thing, as a constant and spamming game mechanic it is simply not fun.

3) Moose babies. Way, way too insane for what they are.

I don't know about 3, but I have never had a problem with 1 and 2. I put a circle of traps (not tooth traps, regular traps are cheaper and work better) around my whole base and if there are too many frogs, I hit one to get a bunch to follow me and lead them to something dangerous.

I honestly don't know why everyone is having such a problem with smoldering. I've played two summers so far and never been troubled with it. Put up ice flingomatics in spring or autumn, use smolder action on things that loudly sizzle and smoke. Don't put flammable structures within burning distance of each other, just in case.

If you're so upset by those 3 things then you can just turn them off in your world settings. 

I find frog rain to be useful. When it starts just move a few screens away from your base and let them fall there. That way you'll have a large frog leg supply that's also available at night. Theyre also useful for distracting hounds. 

The baby geese are tough but not impossible. Lead them into the swamps or a herd of beefalo and they'll be taken care of. You can also kill the mama Moose before it lays the egg, which is what I typically aim to do.

If you're so upset by those 3 things then you can just turn them off in your world settings. 

I find frog rain to be useful. When it starts just move a few screens away from your base and let them fall there. That way you'll have a large frog leg supply that's also available at night. Theyre also useful for distracting hounds. 

The baby geese are tough but not impossible. Lead them into the swamps or a herd of beefalo and they'll be taken care of. You can also kill the mama Moose before it lays the egg, which is what I typically aim to do.

Any time I attempt to criticize the difficulty of any part of this game I am told to "turn it off".

The game should be balanced appropriately. Feedback and discussion to that end should be allowed. 

I've considered stopping playing RoJ. The game was a lot more fun and far better balanced before all this x-pac nonsense.

The game is balanced if the majority of people can play it. ROG is meant to be played by people who can handle vanilla - two of the problems you have with DT are in the vanilla game. So why did you play ROG if you couldn't handle vanilla? You can't expect other people to discuss balance if you contradict yourself. 

The game is balanced if the majority of people can play it. ROG is meant to be played by people who can handle vanilla - two of the problems you have with DT are in the vanilla game. So why did you play ROG if you couldn't handle vanilla? You can't expect other people to discuss balance if you contradict yourself. 

It's not a matter of not being able to handle it. It's simply not fun for all the reasons I stated already.

Any time I attempt to criticize the difficulty of any part of this game I am told to "turn it off".

The game should be balanced appropriately. Feedback and discussion to that end should be allowed. 

The game is balanced towards trial and error as well as overcoming and learning. Learning especially. You may for example not know that you can stop any smoldering object from setting on fire by simply using your hands, at the cost of some HP. Even things such as rot will stop smoldering.

Learn how to deal with these things, and it becomes more fun. That's a general rule of Don't Starve. If you can't, turn it off, that's why those options are there.

I responded to your post with the suggestion to turn these features off because your first two posts sounded like just a rant rather than constructive criticism inviting discussion. 

The game is balanced appropriately - the majority of players have no issue with RoG. The three mechanics that you mentioned are tough, but they're not impossible or broken. Once you figure out a method to deal with them they become fairly easy. 

It's not a matter of not being able to handle it. It's simply not fun for all the reasons I stated already.

If its not a matter of being able to handle it, and if its something thats simply "not fun" for you, then turn it off. You can still enjoy the rest of RoG customized to your liking. 

The game is balanced towards trial and error as well as overcoming and learning. Learning especially. You may for example not know that you can stop any smoldering object from setting on fire by simply using your hands, at the cost of some HP. Learn how to deal with these things, and it becomes more fun.

I don't find it very fun to run around randomly like an idiot to play the "paranoia or lose everything" mini-game.

I don't find it very fun to run around randomly like an idiot to play the "paranoia or lose everything" mini-game.

That's not a mini game, that's pretty much the entire game. Trial and error, like I said. The paranoia goes away once you know how things actually work.

You could always just look stuff up on the Wiki, although that might be "fun" by your definition. This isn't a game where you can take it easy most of the time, it's a game meant to stress you out. Unlike most other challenging games (like Battle Toads), however, this game gets easier if you just be careful and learn from your mistakes. You could be doing that right now instead of rebuffing all of our assistance.

Edit: As far as fun, I know I find it pretty fun after I kill Deerclops without my stuff getting destroyed. 

I don't know about 3, but I have never had a problem with 1 and 2. I put a circle of traps (not tooth traps, regular traps are cheaper and work better) around my whole base and if there are too many frogs, I hit one to get a bunch to follow me and lead them to something dangerous.

I honestly don't know why everyone is having such a problem with smoldering. I've played two summers so far and never been troubled with it. Put up ice flingomatics in spring or autumn, use smolder action on things that loudly sizzle and smoke. Don't put flammable structures within burning distance of each other, just in case.

That.

Frogs cease to be a threat once you realize traps catch them, and become a source of food. For smoldering use the fling'o'matics, which double as a nice defense turret against gobblers for your berries and freezes them long enough for you to kill them, remember to refuel them, build your stuff with enough distance between everything to avoid losing all your base if something catches on fire, and watch for fire hazards (flowers, seeds, random junk appearing between your structures that could act as fire conductors).

As for the baby geeses, I just run away from my base as soon as I hear a giant, so they pop far away, or I kite them away if needed.

Preparation and planning is everything in this game. Once you figure out how to deal with threats in advance, it becomes a lot easier.

The only one I faintly agree with is the raining frogs. I personally have no problem abandoning my base as it's pretty much just a place where I throw junk and not much else. The only problem I have with frogs is that they DON'T GO AWAY. You would think that frogs would die in the summer if it was that hot yaknow?

Raining frogs. You can have a marble suit, morning star, 120 sticks/etc in your first slots and be wearing the battle helm plus a row of a dozen tooth traps and they will STILL kill you. It is not possible to deal with this. It forces you to suddenly abandon your base at any time and trapping them all without dying can take days.

All depends on your character. Playing as Webber, It is pretty easy to deal with just by sending spiders after them.

There are some aspects of this game which make it almost impossible to plan correctly or have a survival strategy that works. I can easily make it hundreds of days and these things are still too much.

1) Raining frogs. You can have a marble suit, morning star, 120 sticks/etc in your first slots and be wearing the battle helm plus a row of a dozen tooth traps and they will STILL kill you. It is not possible to deal with this. It forces you to suddenly abandon your base at any time and trapping them all without dying can take days.

2) Smoldering. I've taken to turning it off. Randomly burning down the players base is insanely poor design. As a character flaw that is one thing, as a constant and spamming game mechanic it is simply not fun.

3) Moose babies. Way, way too insane for what they are.

1. Traps. Use them. Then frog rain becomes "free food for a few days" day.

2. Ice flingomatics are made for countering this. You can also use your hands to put stuff out at the cost of health.

3. They don't do anything? xD Fighting a beefalo is harder. Unless you mean its insane because none of the other giants have babies. I do love the idea of a bearger baby :D:D:D

I do have to agree with the OP that the lingering affect of Raining Frogs is a bit out of place. From my perspective, it's a clever mechanic to counter camping; however, Don't Starve is about being able to pick your fights, so when something camps in your base eternally until you get rid of it yourself, this isn't exactly fitting the theme.

Everyone here should calm down though and stop jumping down this user's throat with passive defensive responses. Okay, we've established that you can all live with the mechanics, but 'dealing' with mechanics isn't the same as 'being happy' with mechanics. Objectively, I can understand why the current persistent state of Frogs may seem gratuitous to some - and I don't think it's fair to call the "Skill" card quite yet.

As for smoldering, I'm sure it'll get more attention as people become familiar with it. As it is, it's received many tweaks in every patch, thus it's rather WIP. 

And the baby donkies, I haven't come across them yet. Despite being around a Moose thing for, in one case, multiple days, I didn't see any birdlings as a result. Weird, I suppose. 

Edit:

Stop recommending Traps. Frogs can rain from as early as the first Spring, and accumulating enough Traps to capture every frog isn't interesting in the slightest nor should it be the only effective method of dealing with them. Yes, you can argue that a few traps can get the job done with some micro-management, but we're talking about an incredibly tedious procedure here - which is something to consider.

You can find an alternative to everything, but when those alternatives aren't very profound besides a difficulty-slider, they become un-intuitive. 

If you're not prepared for frog rain then just run all over the place and string the frogs out over many screens.  If it happens at night and you don't have grass and twigs, too bad, you didn't prepare well.  It's easy enough to avoid the frogs when they're strung out over a large area, and then deal with them later. 

As for smoldering, it's not a problem unless you build bases like you did in vanilla - everything jam packed against each other.  Again, if one does that, then it's one's own fault, not the game.  One has to adapt to the new challenges of RoG.  Not try and play them like vanilla and complain when that doesn't work.

Actually I find it easier to counter smoldering by building the base as compact as you can. It is easier to watch for fire and require less Ice Flingomatic to cover everything. Smoldering was way intense before the patch yet I was able to get through it with an Ice staff and a compact base. Just be careful with fire started by fire hounds, and wild fire spread from far away and surrounding flowers/bees etc.

As for the frog rain, I like to make a grass/twigs farm early. It is the first thing I do in building a base. So the cost of spawning 8 traps at once is not at all tedious to collect.

Frog rain in sandbox mode is nothing when compared to adventure mode. It is way more intense in "A Cold Reception". For those who have difficulty dealing with sandbox mode frog rain, I recommend adventure mode. It is the best way to learn how to deal with that, without pigs and alike/ traps.

I like how I am, slowly but surely, turning into the teleportato advocate on this forum. If there is something you can't cope with, grab what you think you need and just teleportato out. It's not just a placeholder. It's actually a really nice mechanic.

edit : Do people get so attached to their worlds or something?

I agree. Reign of Juice has added to many new fruits to the game, I cant keep track of all the new stupid plants.

Meh, for me Reign Of Joy was the most disappointing one. It only consisted in honey ham rain, eternal day and turning all the mobs into friendly ones.

Meh, for me Reign Of Joy was the most disappointing one. It only consisted in honey ham rain, eternal day and turning all the mobs into friendly ones.

I agree. Reign of Juice has added to many new fruits to the game, I cant keep track of all the new stupid plants.

you dun just killed his inner child

Archived