Most Amazing spot the build a base, period

Heyo,

I started this world and discovered an island only accessible by a worm-hole after some searching I found the right worm-hole on Day 4.

Can hounds still attack me? The island is really small. Here a some pics. One is the island the other is map. 

http://imgur.com/4z9dilh,pgcVDYC#0

Its pretty cool huh?

Protokohl, :grin:

EDIT: Made a typo in the title and now can't change it?

Little too small for a main base, but maybe it can be a summer getaway or something.  Pretty sure hounds spawn off the screen during hound attacks, so not sure what'll happen.  My guess is that if you stand in the center of the island most of the hounds will spawn on the mainland

Terrible place to be if there are frog rains though

I usually have a few bases and my spring base is definitely not the same as my summer base - because bees are great as summer food source and psychotic attackers of everything that moves during spring - so you might just want to avoid closed spaces on spring, including your island

Terrible place to be if there are frog rains though

I usually have a few bases and my spring base is definitely not the same as my summer base - because bees are great as summer food source and psychotic attackers of everything that moves during spring - so you might just want to avoid closed spaces on spring, including your island

How does the double base work out in summer? I've always been tempted to do something similar, however I was afraid that during summer, the whole thing would just burn down.

Isolated islands were much more common during beta, they seem to tuned the random variant down a lot, it's hard to find them currently.

I found two islands today, messing around through new worlds, but they both were inaccessible by any means.

To answer your question: no, hounds cannot attack you in there, neither can't giants (though the area attack might have enough radius to hit you if you are on the ledge).

A friend of mine once found one of theses islands but it was big enough to not fit the whole screen so stuff could actually spawn there. It was pretty fun how he tracked a koalephant in a small chunk of land and once the koalephant spawned he had nowhere to go, so he just left him there.

Isolated islands were much more common during beta, they seem to tuned the random variant down a lot, it's hard to find them currently.

I found two islands today, messing around through new worlds, but they both were inaccessible by any means.

To answer your question: no, hounds cannot attack you in there, neither can't giants (though the area attack might have enough radius to hit you if you are on the ledge).

A friend of mine once found one of theses islands but it was big enough to not fit the whole screen so stuff could actually spawn there. It was pretty fun how he tracked a koalephant in a small chunk of land and once the koalephant spawned he had nowhere to go, so he just left him there.

Ha ! Got myself an island like your friend's one. I tried to build my base on it, but it's too dangerous with giants (almost died when the bearger spawns on it). So I think I'll use it as a giant trap : gotta plant a lot of trees on it, cut them down until they spawn 2-3 treeguards, and then, when a giant is about to come, rush into the island and watch the giant die under those mighty treeguards slaps.  :victorious:

Update: Off all the worst luck in the world I start clearing the few trees on my Island and wake the blasted tree guardian... I guess I will setup a base on the other side of the worm-hole until I am tooled up enough to defeat him and properly settle there. I guess all good things come at a cost xD

How does the double base work out in summer? I've always been tempted to do something similar, however I was afraid that during summer, the whole thing would just burn down.

For me, the key to summer basing is that you try not to visit your main base at all in summer, or if you do be sure you have an ice staff or other fire extinguisher.  As long as you don't visit your main base, nothing will start on fire. 

Your summer base should be very minimal - postion a flinger to protect a variety of farms, berry bushes, grass, and saplings.  Plant them in groups, out of fire range of each other.  Keep it fueled all summer.  Your firepit should be out of range of the flinger, and you should only have a few structures around it, and you should be able to see them all with a moderate fire going.  All the flammable ones should not be in burning range of each other.   Yes that includes chests.  Ice box won't burn, so you can have it as close to crock pot as you want. 

I'd suggest making this base near something you can do all summer.  My latest one was between a savanna and desert biomes.  I spent most of my time mining the rocks in the desert, and farming tumbleweeds.  That's a great way to stay occupied.  Long days allowed me to kill lots of beefalo, and jerkify them in preparation for autumn caving.   That's how I do it.

OP: I guess for me it's way more important that my base be close to important things like sinkholes, pig king, and beefalo herds (though you can move beefalo with a little work and a lot of time).   I also place a lot of weight on being close to a setpiece pig village, so I don't have to do as much work moving an entire village.   I'd much prefer to be close to a sinkhole or the pig king, vs having a fortress island.  Hounds aren't THAT hard to deal with.  

I'd be rather surprised if a giant could actually *spawn* on that island within your sight, but I've never tried island basing so I don't know.  Apparently they follow you through sinkholes though so if they spawn while you're elsewhere, I'd imagine they'll appear very close and cozy to you on the other side of the wormhole.

Nothing catches fire if you are not around.  

Just stay out of your main base on summer.

Archived