We need a 3rd underground level

So I'm relatively new to the forums, but I have played the vanilla version to day 400+ and I have just finished surviving all 4 seasons in the RoG DLC.  

I've wandered about the forums looking at people's opinions about the game.  There have been many suggestions and posts about the difficulty of the game.  Should there be walruses in hound attacks?  Should giants be buffed because they are too easy to kill for an expert player (I think there is a method to beat every giant with just a pigskin helmet and wooden suit although I have not tried the dragonfly methods myself)?  I found myself thinking, okay, those changes would be interesting, but as I read more, I came to a realization.

Nothing needs to be changed.  When I was a new player, hound waves were terrifying and I ran the **** away from giants.  The game was very difficult to not starve before I learned the best crockpot recipes and how to find food efficiently (though I blame it partially on the moron who wrote that kebabs were the best recipe on a Don't Starve guide).  I think the DLC is nice in the fact that it makes the above ground world more interesting and it makes the game as a whole seem more complete with the seasons and 2 new biomes.  

But, I'm going to be blunt here.  I am pretty disappointed in the DLC.  It feels like all the changes are cosmetic.  They don't add anything to the progression of the game.  Putting it cynically, all that's happening is that I'm crafting the umbrella I never needed in vanilla version and securing a stockpile of ice during winter in preparation for summer.  

The caves are as easy as ever because the sanity drain is completely countered by a tam o' shanter.  In addition, the biggest threat, depth worms, lose aggro like hound, and are very kiteable even in groups because they move slower than hounds and you can bunch them up and sync their attack timings.  Of course you could always do the smart/lazy thing and lead them all to a tentacle pillar biome when you hear the their sound.

The ruins are harder in that the nightmare cycle can send 7+ terrorbeaks at you.  But, even that is an annoyance.  It just means half the time in the ruins you have to hide.  I find that all you need is a snurtle shell (though a bush hat is a poor man's alternative) .  When the nightmare cycle is active, hop in the snurtle shell and go browse around youtube or something.  Clockwork mobs are easy to deal with armor and a decent weapon.  Splumonkeys are the most annoying mob in the game, but I've blown up 10+ at once with gunpowder and its not like there's anything useful in their biome anyways.  Just some bananas, and relics that restore your sanity, but the tam o' shanter already does that.

I probably seem really cynical, and I should clarify that it's mostly to stress how much I wish I could keep on playing this great game without getting bored.  

The best way to do that is with an addition of a third underground level.  Add some progression to the storyline, challenges harder than the ruins, and a new late game tier of items.  It doesn't even have to be in this DLC if it's too much work.  But, if Klei is planning another DLC, they need to focus on real additions that extends the playability of the game, particularly for players who are already comfortable with the late game.

Lava caves or ice caves sounds good to me, they could be an extreme version of summer and winter, needing the best insulation clothes and with dangerous creatures living there but I think they will have the same problem as the caves: People will mostly ignore them because they aren't worth the danger for the items they give.

source?

It was talked about in various dev posts when the caves were still being designed. It got scrapped due to time constraints and the lack of quality they would have if rushed. The heat wave season was also scrapped around the same time, but came back in RoG, so lava caves may not be completely off the shelf yet for the future. The lava caves would have shared the same overheating mechanics RoG summer has.

First of all, you're talking to that "moron who wrote that kebabs were the best recipe" right now. And I never said they were the best recipe, I just said that they were better than meatballs. Although recently someone gave it a huge overhaul so it could say kebabs were the best recipe by now.

But anyway, the problem with caves is that they are completely optional. Nothing there ever forces you to come down there. Where are the massive threats on the overworld that you need to stop by closing Pandora's Box in the ruins? Where are the monsters that pop out of the caves and go for your base? Right now it'd be like if they had an "Are you sure you want to see the deerclops?" button whenever the Deerclops got near you, and if you said no, it would instantly despawn. The only justification I can think of was temporary relif from temperature, but that got removed in RoG, and it really didn't do much because of the constant sanity drain.

But, if you wanted to have these new layers of caves have features that come to the player, then it would be perfectly fine. IIRC there were actually four levels proposed:

1. Normal

2. Ruins

3. Lava

4. Ice Caverns

First of all, you're talking to that "moron who wrote that kebabs were the best recipe" right now. And I never said they were the best recipe, I just said that they were better than meatballs. Although recently someone gave it a huge overhaul so it could say kebabs were the best recipe by now.

But anyway, the problem with caves is that they are completely optional. Nothing there ever forces you to come down there. Where are the massive threats on the overworld that you need to stop by closing Pandora's Box in the ruins? Where are the monsters that pop out of the caves and go for your base? Right now it'd be like if they had an "Are you sure you want to see the deerclops?" button whenever the Deerclops got near you, and if you said no, it would instantly despawn. The only justification I can think of was temporary relif from temperature, but that got removed in RoG, and it really didn't do much because of the constant sanity drain.

But, if you wanted to have these new layers of caves have features that come to the player, then it would be perfectly fine. IIRC there were actually four levels proposed:

1. Normal

2. Ruins

3. Lava

4. Ice Caverns

I'm sorry, I never meant to offend anyone.  It was for a bit of comedic flair or something.  Back then I was also doing it wrong.  3 morsels and a twig.  So, I basically spent all day harvesting rabbit traps to survive lol.  Still think meatballs are better though.  2x the hunger points for one extra berry.

i think the cave its gonna be improved in the next dlc, lava cave and ice cave would be great. the entrace to both should be also in the first floor i dont see why you have to go to the ruin to access to the lava or ice cave... 

Archived