Reminder - YOUTUBE & Copyright.

JoeW

Hey guys, 

In light of recent recent YouTube copyright claims, we just wanted to remind you of our policy:

If any of you run into any issues, just direct Youtube to our guidelines and let them know we love you guys.  

http://www.dontstarvegame.com/player-creation-guidelines

PLAYER CREATION GUIDELINES

Don't Starve started as, and continues to be, a grand experiment for us at Klei. Building this game alongside the community was a new territory for us, but it has been an incredibly rewarding experience. Many of our community have since asked if they can create their own incredible creations using our software, and we're very flattered by that.
To help support your creations, we've made this page to clarify what you "can" and "can not" do with Don't Starve. At the end of the day, we simply want to continue to perpetuate the great, positive community we have in our forums and help share our creations with each other.

WHAT IS A "PLAYER CREATION?"
For the purposes of this page, we consider a "Player Creation" as anything that uses the Don't Starve name, brand, or characters as part of or inspiration for a new creation. This could include (but is not limited to) fan art, fan-sites, wikis, tools, apps (desktop and mobile), game mods, crafts, toys, or video content.

THE GOLDEN RULES
To get things started, here's a simple list check list we like to call the "Golden Rules." If you're going to create something around Don't Starve, whatever it may be:

•  
  • Make it clear that your creation is your own, and not by us. 
  • Be open, welcoming and respectful. Basically, don't be a jerk!
  • Follow our Terms of Service. (Honestly, if you're not doing something illegal, you're probably fine)

If you can stick to those rules, the likely outcome is that we'll think what you're doing is pretty darn neat-o.

WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH PLAYER CREATIONS:
We love fan-made Player Creations, we share them around the office all the time. Our community manager also tries to find the best ones and spotlight them on our website. Most people fall into one of three categories: Personal, Public, Commercial.
PERSONAL USE
If you want to make something just for yourself, go nuts. As long as you follow our Golden Rules, you're good to go. Have fun!
PUBLIC USE
If you want to share your creations with the world (for free), that's no problem! Just follow the Golden Rules and share away. 
COMMERCIAL THINGS
Commercial use is when you make money for your Player Creation. Commercial use of Player Creations is not allowed (except for the specific situations listed below).

HAND-MADE ETSY PRODUCTS:
If you want to produce small batch creations that are hand-made (by you personally, not an assembly line worker) creations, you may sell them on Etsy.com (which requires the items you sell to be hand-made).
For anything else, please contact us. If you do make something, we'd love to see it! Thank you to the friends and fans who have mailed us their hand-made creations. They're super awesome and on display in our studio!

YOUTUBE VIDEO MONETIZATION
If you want to upload videos of or about Don't Starve to video sharing and streaming sites (like YouTube & Twitch etc.) you can absolutely put ads on them. All we ask is that you consider adding a link somewhere to the game's Steam page, or the official website. You don't have to, but it would be super awesome if you did.

APPLICATIONS TOOLS & MODS
We're pretty flattered that talented people want to spend their time creating mods, plugins and tools for Don't Starve and we want to support it. If you want to make a mod, all we ask is:

•  
  • You follow the Golden Rules.
  • Don't bypass our game's purchase system or distribute modified versions of the full game.
  • You're honest about what it does (no malicious, harmful or hidden functions).
  • You distribute it for free.
  • "Don't Starve" is not the first words of your title.

Commercial use of Don't Starve-related mods, tools and apps are not permitted. This means you may not charge for access to the application and you may not charge for feature unlocks or offer "Pro Versions."
If you would like to monetize your Don't Starve related tool, app or mod (on desktop or mobile devices) you may do so only with in-app ads. You may also accept donations.

MODDING ETIQUETTE: GENERAL GUIDELINES
Take a few moments to read through and familiarize yourself with our modding etiquette guidelines.

•  
  • Please remember that modders are not required to support their mods; and while you are welcome to ask a modder to add, remove, or change parts of their mod, it is ultimately up to the modders whether they make any changes or not.
  • If you choose to modify and upload another person's mod, be sure to ask them for permission and provide proper credit unless they have said previously that their work can be freely reworked or modified.
  • Mods containing assets from other games or media are not allowed.

In addition to the Steam subscriber agreement, we ask that you follow our community guidelines and etiquette.

NAMING YOUR PLAYER CREATIONS
We ask that you don't make the name of the game the first part of the app's title. Here's an example application naming etiquette:
Bad Application Name: "Don't Starve Wiki."
Good Application Name: "Unofficial Don't Starve Wiki" or "Guide for Don't Starve" or "Bob's Don't Starve Map App."
If you have any questions about something not covered in this guideline, please contact us.
If you decide to download a mod for Don't Starve and hit a snag, please keep in mind that we can only provide technical support for unmodified versions of the game.

• Like 28

Added a link for clarification. There is a bit of confusion and rage right now about copyright claims and such with content creators and youtube. We wanted to remind people where they can find our policies. This helps them should YouTube shut down a video. Sending youtube the link to our policy allows them to prove they are allowed by us to create the video. 

• Like 1

Added a link for clarification. There is a bit of confusion and rage right now about copyright claims and such with content creators and youtube. We wanted to remind people where they can find our policies. This helps them should YouTube shuts down a video. Sending youtube the link to our policy allows them to prove they are allowed by us to create the video. 

Exactly as I thought/feared.

Many a good player I watched was hit with this. I didn't know if it was the 500-pound gorilla fighting the elephant in the room though (couldn't resist matching up the two there,) and was wary in discussing it directly.

Thanks for doing this JoeW and Klei, and I hope many more players will unfailingly air this and all other Klei games (within the rules) without fear now. 

• Like 1

it appears most of the issues are arising due to the automated algorithms google/youtube uses to flag these vids, alot of them using content that was distributed by the devs for reviewers and let's players, as well as alot of issues with background music being flagged

hopefully with the outcry about this on the internet reaching typhoon-stage rage levels over this, they can adjust the algorithms again and fix it all, but i fear the background music issue will be a harder one to fix, since the RIAA are total a$$holes.   Its not the artists/musicians that are complaining, its the music publishers that are looking for more ways to make money...

I hope the "suits" somehow realize that people making let's plays are FREE ADVERTISING!!!!! yeesh

YouTube is getting many hits lately...

I hope the "suits" somehow realize that people making let's plays are FREE ADVERTISING!!!!! yeesh

As you can see by the reason of this thread. It's not the game devs that are flagging videos, it's Youtube itself. LPs as free advertising is already understood by devs. Hence why the Twitch.tv apps on the new consoles.

YouTube is getting many hits lately...

As you can see by the reason of this thread. It's not the game devs that are flagging videos, it's Youtube itself. LPs as free advertising is already understood by devs. Hence why the Twitch.tv apps on the new consoles.

you just restated what i said but ok.

the "devs" and the "suits" are two totally different groups.  game devs value the gaming community. game publishers want to make their shareholders happy.

of course im generalizing, alot of smaller pusblishers try to balance both sides.  Ubisoft, EA, etc etc? not so much.

Edited by fritoz

23 hours ago, Brandyn said:

Quick question will we get any copyright strikes for having music enabled because your music in the dont starve games (together and alone) are amazing and I'd love to share that.

You're more than welcome to use the Don't Starve music when making let's plays, reviews, previews and other Don't Starve-related video productions as long as you stick close to our Player Creation Guidelines.

Posting soundtrack songs by themselves or with different games/content on YouTube however unfortunately falls outside of the guidelines; and regrettably we cannot provide permission to publish or monetize the soundtrack in that manner.

35 minutes ago, JanH said:

You're more than welcome to use the Don't Starve music when making let's plays, reviews, previews and other Don't Starve-related video productions as long as you stick close to our Player Creation Guidelines.

Posting soundtrack songs by themselves or with different games/content on YouTube however unfortunately falls outside of the guidelines; and regrettably we cannot provide permission to publish or monetize the soundtrack in that manner.

Thank you I don't plan to upload the soundtrack by itself though because thats not what i do

• Developer
1 hour ago, autumnphoenix59 said:

hey I was wondering I have to pay to play your game and record it right?....sorry I'm just trying to make sure

You have to pay to even be able to play them, hahah! But after that, sure, record it, stream it, share your content with us!

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

You have to pay to even be able to play them, hahah! But after that, sure, record it, stream it, share your content with us!

ok but......I still have more questions like...how much do I pay or do I have to pay for every episode or...is it every time I get a certain amount of money do I pay them again.....sorry I'm new to this and I'm only a preteen

edit: I probably seem dumb right now....so I don't have to pay to record or no? I'm sorry....

nvm I read the thing I'm sorry for wasting time

Edited by autumnphoenix59

• Developer
2 hours ago, autumnphoenix59 said:

ok but......I still have more questions like...how much do I pay or do I have to pay for every episode or...is it every time I get a certain amount of money do I pay them again.....sorry I'm new to this and I'm only a preteen

edit: I probably seem dumb right now....so I don't have to pay to record or no? I'm sorry....

I misinterpreted what you said, sorry. You don't have to pay to stream or record the games, you just have to pay for the games themselves, and when streaming/uploading videos of something in Beta/Early Access just make sure to notify your audience it's in that state.

I'm seeking permission for the use this specific twitch clip from last Thursday's Rhymes With Play Dev Cast Stream. The clip in question is a comedic remark about the lack of use of the Scalemail armor amongst the player base. What I would like to do is just have that clip in the beginning of the video, followed by me using the Scalemail armor against the Klaus fight. My description just provides additional commentary about the fight, states that clip was from Klei's Twitch Channel with a link, and how they're ultimately correct that no one uses Scalemail on a regular basis.

However, it's not my intention to use a clip I neither have permission nor the right to use on YouTube, and it's also not clear to me if this is allowed as per the Player Creation Guidelines, hence this post.

Is the use of short clips/segments/highlights of Klei's Twitch Stream allowed, as long as one seeks permission each time? What about other videos in future scenarios going forward? I've never used a Twitch Clip for videos prior to this, so any clarifications that could be made will be helpful. Thanks!

So, I’ve got a bit of a question, since it didn’t really seem addressed in this. Recently I made Chester using pottery, and he came out really good. My teacher offered to enter him into an art contest. As far as I’m aware, the reward for the contest isn’t monetary, it’s exposure for the work. As long as it is stated I created the piece based on Chester from the games is it alright if it is entered in?

Heres the little guy:

Spoiler

2A9F4B5B-A325-4832-BCA2-215B21423FE1.thumb.jpeg.d934b84c0c8c612469e2559927f0c8f5.jpeg3DBD29CD-57BA-4717-B61F-A2CA110A83A4.thumb.jpeg.e81107da2fe6fa7006c0d2678c1bc80c.jpeg1CFB2BE1-C2BE-4A8E-BF0C-3A57A55C2404.thumb.jpeg.61623555d684f29e63daa779de7b563e.jpegFA39EFB3-FDDD-4603-AD40-2D0CAF3C1817.thumb.jpeg.a72967e1b412fd07b08136645dc1b5ba.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1