Worms are ridiculous

I first entered the cave on day 180 or so. After barely a few seconds of standing around at the bottom of the rope, wondering which way to go the worms appear - right at the bottom of the rope. At least 4 worms, maybe 5 or 6. After my first death, I have been trying this:

1. Before entering cave, make a Life Amulet and a bee bomb

2. Put Chester and everything else I own outside the cave entrance (I enter with only a log suit and football helmet)

3. Try not to have Abigail spawned (I'm playing as Wendy - Abigail dies so then you have to go down again to retrieve her flower)

4. Drop to end of rope.

5. Place the bee bomb, taking massive damage in the time it takes to place it.

6. Die, get reanimated by amulet.

7. Grab rope and escape.

8. Back to step 1.

I'm on my third bee bomb/reanimation cycle so far. I've tried leaving them for a week or two as well. When I return, the bees are still buzzing down there, but I don't think the fight is active when you leave the cave. Since I never got any chance to explore the cave before the worms attacked, I have no idea where to run yet, not a chance to get mob friends, and I'm not going to risk it when I know my only way out is surrounded by worms.

So far, Caves suck to high heaven. After three deaths, I've literally not seen any part of this cave beyond the small circle of light at the bottom of the rope. I wouldn't mind dying in something approaching a fair situation. This is just grinding.

Has anyone tried:

Pan flute?

Fire (fire staff)?

Pigs? - will pigs follow you down into a cave?

BatBat - do you get enough life back fast enough?

I have usually just a split second or two before death at the bottom of the rope, time to fire off one or two shots tops.

This was almost a necro, but then it wound up actually adding to the discussion. Gosh darn it to heck.

Alright @vimrich, here's my advice: Oinkers. Lots of oinkers! If you want to play real safe, make a camp around the cave entrance with four pig houses stationed just outside that hole. Make a meat effigy, slap it next to a chest with some full on battle armor (Log Suit + Football Helmet) and get yourself a Marble Suit. Oh baby, those worms won't even scratch you. Get your four pigs to follow you and they'll mosey on down into the caves with you like there's an endless supply of slop on the other side. Also make yourself a ham bat or grab a tentacle spike, flimsy spears are not how you show those worms that they are done screwing you over! Things are going to get intense, and it's plenty advisable that you make some darts beforehand. Now I know you're thinking blow darts when I say that, but screw blow darts. These things have driven you out of the caves, mocked your inability to re-enter, and are down there partying and having a "we kicked Wendy's ass" party. You know what that means, right?

Yes, that's right.

It's time to light those fuzzy jackholes ON FIRE!

Fire darts don't cost Sanity to use, and that's awesome. They're also easier to make than blow darts, which is doubly awesome. Now, granted, you can't exactly boomerang Redbirds to death since you're playing Wendy (I face the same issue as Wes, but that's what I love about him) and bird traps only have a 50/50 shot at catching the specific bird you want with another 50/50 shot at getting a feather instead of a morsel, but if you're dedicated to getting these darts, and I mean dedicated, you can hatch a Smallbird and send your little one-eyed baby after those aviary treats, they won't run away and you'll find yourself drowning in feathers. Abigail may work just as well, I don't play Wendy so I wouldn't know for sure.

Whew, I need a towel.

try recruiting some pigs and making use of a beefalo horn, bringing 10 friends could probably help.

edit: i have the same problem with caves, and have found the appeal to explore them completely soured by this, after day 100, about the time you have a good base setup, the world explored, and everything is fairly stable so you can go down there, the mob spawn is too great even if it's your first cave entry. i personally have given up.

i think the don't starve team should code them so they either avoid sunlight, or get killed by it fast. i mean they are "depth" worms

This was almost a necro, but then it wound up actually adding to the discussion. Gosh darn it to heck.

Alright vimrich, here's my advice: Oinkers. Lots of oinkers!

I've brought a couple pigs down just in case they turn, and indeed they did. Are the caves fully synced with the overworld? If so it may be a fluke, because I don't care for moon phases much.

Edit: Also I've never gotten worms crowding around the entrance yet, but seeing as it's nearly a hundred more days since I've went in...At least I have them rocksters at my entrance.

Thanks for the tips @23rd. I'll try fire. I can make a fire staff far more easily than darts. I have 20 or so red gems from all the hounds by now.

In the end, I decided to just open up another cave.  That worked fine for a while - at least I had a few explorations.  Then a Terrorbeak came after me. Chased me back to the rope almost dead.  So I heal up, re-arm and go in ready and then voila, more worms!  Now there's a Terrorbeak and 3 to 5 worms right at the bottom of the rope of the new cave. Luckily in this cave there are rock lobsters right near the bottom of the rope too, but still, the Terrorbeak is FAST. The Lobsters will eventually aggro on the worms, but it takes time. Also, Abigail doesn't fight the Terrorbeak, so I'm on my own. Tried a BatBat so far, but it's rough. With a miner hat an the amulet on, you have no armor either.

I need pigs, not so much to help battle, but just be targets for a few seconds so I can start kiting the Terrorbeak.

Ugh. 

Alright @vimrich, here's my advice: Oinkers. Lots of oinkers! If you want to play real safe, make a camp around the cave entrance with four pig houses stationed just outside that hole. Make a meat effigy, slap it next to a chest with some full on battle armor (Log Suit + Football Helmet) and get yourself a Marble Suit. Oh baby, those worms won't even scratch you. Get your four pigs to follow you and they'll mosey on down into the caves with you like there's an endless supply of slop on the other side. Also make yourself a ham bat or grab a tentacle spike, flimsy spears are not how you show those worms that they are done screwing you over! Things are going to get intense, and it's plenty advisable that you make some darts beforehand. Now I know you're thinking blow darts when I say that, but screw blow darts. These things have driven you out of the caves, mocked your inability to re-enter, and are down there partying and having a "we kicked Wendy's ass" party. You know what that means, right?

Yes, that's right.

It's time to light those fuzzy jackholes ON FIRE!

Fire darts don't cost Sanity to use, and that's awesome. They're also easier to make than blow darts, which is doubly awesome. Now, granted, you can't exactly boomerang Redbirds to death since you're playing Wendy (I face the same issue as Wes, but that's what I love about him) and bird traps only have a 50/50 shot at catching the specific bird you want with another 50/50 shot at getting a feather instead of a morsel, but if you're dedicated to getting these darts, and I mean dedicated, you can hatch a Smallbird and send your little one-eyed baby after those aviary treats, they won't run away and you'll find yourself drowning in feathers. Abigail may work just as well, I don't play Wendy so I wouldn't know for sure.

Whew, I need a towel.

This. This is beautiful 

Thanks for the tips @23rd. I'll try fire. I can make a fire staff far more easily than darts. I have 20 or so red gems from all the hounds by now.

In the end, I decided to just open up another cave.  That worked fine for a while - at least I had a few explorations.  Then a Terrorbeak came after me. Chased me back to the rope almost dead.  So I heal up, re-arm and go in ready and then voila, more worms!  Now there's a Terrorbeak and 3 to 5 worms right at the bottom of the rope of the new cave. Luckily in this cave there are rock lobsters right near the bottom of the rope too, but still, the Terrorbeak is FAST. The Lobsters will eventually aggro on the worms, but it takes time. Also, Abigail doesn't fight the Terrorbeak, so I'm on my own. Tried a BatBat so far, but it's rough. With a miner hat an the amulet on, you have no armor either.

I need pigs, not so much to help battle, but just be targets for a few seconds so I can start kiting the Terrorbeak.

Ugh. 

Until you can go all Thulecite weaponry or other (ranged) options on them, does a HamBat help any better? 

Run away from everything until the nightmare cycle kills them. Then keep running.

I was trying to get my reaper and brute to deal with them

they died

then i ran

then i died

again

and again

and again

then my world was gone because i only carry so many life amulets :/

Ugh. 

Terrorbeaks can be kited should you be fighting them alone (i.e. without needing to worry about Depth Worms while Rock Lobsters have your back). Let them get in range to attack, move out of the way, hit them once, repeat. (I just realized you already know that.) The great thing about Terrorbeaks is that they restore 30 Sanity on kill, so once you kill a single Terrorbeak you won't have to worry about comeuppance from every other Hallucination in a 50 mile radius (although I would recommend consuming a cooked green cap or two after killing one, just to be sure). Practice in a controlled environment before you fight them in caves, make plenty of healing salves/honey poultices and fight them in the safety of your own camp. Soon you'll find that not having armor won't deter you from jumping into combat and whooping some ass.

Got the Terrorbeak. Got a few of the worms too, but can't seem to stay ahead of it. There are three of their glowing lure drops on the ground at this point, four worms are aggro-ed on a set of Lobster rocks in unison, and two to three other worms roaming free which I'm kiting with allies. That's 9 to 10 total, a whole second wave must have come? 

At least 4 pigs and 4 lobsters have died, and Abigail twice. I died once (just grabbing for the rope), but had the amulet. With the lobsters keeping the most of them busy, I can kite one or two, but it takes all day (for me) then I have to grab abgail's flower, go up, eat/cook, etc. and when I come back a few days later, there's just no progress. Just as a couple started to drop, even more must have shown up.

Tried the fire staff, didn't seem to do anything - at least no flaming animation or anything.  I might try to make a mad dash for a bunny village near by.  If I can split up the worms into a couple packs of three or four each maybe one with the lobsters, one with the bunnymen.

The hounds were tough in packs at first, but at least it doesn't take all day to kill one of them. Sheesh!

Got the Terrorbeak. Got a few of the worms too, but can't seem to stay ahead of it. There are three of their glowing lure drops on the ground at this point, four worms are aggro-ed on a set of Lobster rocks in unison, and two to three other worms roaming free which I'm kiting with allies. That's 9 to 10 total, a whole second wave must have come? 

At least 4 pigs and 4 lobsters have died, and Abigail twice. I died once (just grabbing for the rope), but had the amulet. With the lobsters keeping the most of them busy, I can kite one or two, but it takes all day (for me) then I have to grab abgail's flower, go up, eat/cook, etc. and when I come back a few days later, there's just no progress. Just as a couple started to drop, even more must have shown up.

Tried the fire staff, didn't seem to do anything - at least no flaming animation or anything.  I might try to make a mad dash for a bunny village near by.  If I can split up the worms into a couple packs of three or four each maybe one with the lobsters, one with the bunnymen.

The hounds were tough in packs at first, but at least it doesn't take all day to kill one of them. Sheesh!

Instead of going in with an amulet, make meat effigies and go in with logsuits to get a chance to sprint away. Leading them to a bunnyman village is a good strategy, but leading them to the nearest lobsterfest would be better. Sprint to the lobsters, bring 10 flint and feed them all, and tell them to all pile on one. Keep running from the ones you don't target. Once the first one is down, target the second, and so on.

EDIT: Alternatively, why not just drop 10 gunpowder and light it and become death?

Honestly, unless I'm actively doing something I just run around the worms.  They're slow enough that you can outrun them, and their attack is slow enough to dodge pretty easy. 

I can kill one if it's alone, and if there's more I lead them away and then run for it, leaving them behind.  If I need to I can lead them to spiders, bunnies, or lobsters, and usually peel off a few from the pack. 

As for the nightmare event, I usually sit quietly in the square area with the one statue right before the ruins with all the chess pieces.  It's usually far enough away from the hallucinations coming out of the cracks and the nightmare lights that I dont have to worry about them.  It's just not worth running around during it.  I'll make a campfire and burn rot or whatever I brought with me, a crockpot to make things with the food I find, and a refrigerator for keeping stuff  fresh while I'm there.  I like to bring down a stack of honey, stick it in the fridge, and then during the nightmare event make taffy with the crockpot. 

why not just drop down there with 3 pighats/logsuits and beat them to death with a series of torches as your pig friends mob them to death? or alternatively build a nice square wall box around the rope and get close to the wall then boomerang them all to death. oh wait that takes prior preparation.....  but then again all the best ideas do.

Instead of going in with an amulet, make meat effigies and go in with logsuits to get a chance to sprint away. Leading them to a bunnyman village is a good strategy, but leading them to the nearest lobsterfest would be better. Sprint to the lobsters, bring 10 flint and feed them all, and tell them to all pile on one. Keep running from the ones you don't target. Once the first one is down, target the second, and so on.

EDIT: Alternatively, why not just drop 10 gunpowder and light it and become death?

Hard to get beard hair for effigies playing as Wendy. I kill beardlings from time to time, but the hair drop rate is slow. Out of a full chest of beardlings I got 1 hair last time.  I have two hairs after 200+ days so far. Meanwhile, I have an evil flower farm so amulets are easier to make right now.

Again, the lobsters are right there at the rope too, so there's already a constant battle going on the moment I drop in - usually 4 worms occupy the lobsters. That leaves 3 to 4 other worms for me. At the first attack, when there were only 3 or 4 worms total, the lobsters took them out easily, but there's been at least 6 at once since this got going. The lobsters kill one or two, and by the time those die, more show up. If I can spread the worms out some, the death rate should finally overcome the new attacks rate. 

They're easy to outrun but it sucks to explore that way. Instead of enjoying the cave scenery, you're staring at the ground the whole time.

I've not yet found a way into the ruins level yet. I did a fair chunk of exploration on this cave before the worm infestation started, and for the last 40 days of game time been doing nothing but trying to get them out.

Archived