Worms are ridiculous

Hard to get beard hair for effigies playing as Wendy. I kill beardlings from time to time, but the hair drop rate is slow. Out of a full chest of beardlings I got 1 hair last time.  I have two hairs after 200+ days so far. Meanwhile, I have an evil flower farm so amulets are easier to make right now.

Again, the lobsters are right there at the rope too, so there's already a constant battle going on the moment I drop in - usually 4 worms occupy the lobsters. That leaves 3 to 4 other worms for me. At the first attack, when there were only 3 or 4 worms total, the lobsters took them out easily, but there's been at least 6 at once since this got going. The lobsters kill one or two, and by the time those die, more show up. If I can spread the worms out some, the death rate should finally overcome the new attacks rate. 

They're easy to outrun but it sucks to explore that way. Instead of enjoying the cave scenery, you're staring at the ground the whole time.

I've not yet found a way into the ruins level yet. I did a fair chunk of exploration on this cave before the worm infestation started, and for the last 40 days of game time been doing nothing but trying to get them out.

Mass-collect rabbits, go insane, and murder all of them. I usually do 50 beardlings at a time (6 backpacks full plus a couple in my inventory)

OK, I finally did it!  I had tons of allies, but in the end it wasn't that at all.  The key was just staying down in the caves long enough for all the battles to finish.  I guess time stops when you leave?  Not like in the overworld where pigs and spiders go at it all the time even when you leave the screen.

I got one worm to chase me to the bunnies. Then by the time I got back to the lobsters, they had taken out a ton of the other worms. 

I ended up with 40 monster meat! (and 4 pig meats) a dozen or so lures, which are useless drops btw. Can't stack them so they just rot.

Grats on the win! In future attemps, kill no less than 12 beardlings at a time (I know a chest is 9.)

Also, based on the melee quotes given before, have you considered when they are all occupied (Pigs/lobsters/Bunnymen) to drop some gunpowder, light it, run and literally pick up the pieces of loot that remain after killing any stragglers?

Hard to get beard hair for effigies playing as Wendy.

Shadow monkeys (what monkeys become during the nightmare event) drop beard hair every time, they come to you, and you can kite them.  Put on some armor, grab a tentacle spike, and slap some monkeys around.  I've got stacks of beard hair at this point.  They also drop morsels, bananas and manure.  They're like little bitey vending machines.

Shadow monkeys (what monkeys become during the nightmare event) drop beard hair every time, they come to you, and you can kite them.. 

Put on some armor, grab a tentacle spike, and slap some monkeys around.

That just sounds so wrong...

But didn't know they always dropped beard hair, thanks! 

(Of course if you rely on this way to get your first meat effigy before having other life-restoring methods, you might not live long anyway.) 

Ok this is just ridiculous. After all that, I go back to the caves and they're all back again. Dropping down that rope is like dropping into a bowl of spaghetti the floor is just seething with worms. And with all my lobster allies I could barely see myself on screen. I died before I even could equip my Amulet this time. Just used up my last touchstone and lost more than I want to think about at the bottom of the rope, chester, abigail, etc.

Do worms spawn at regular intervals even when you're not in the caves? I had totally cleared that out. Then I spent 40 or so days above ground building out my base and setting up a evil flower farm. Now I go back and they're all back like before. No warnings, right at the bottom of the rope. Three of them hit me at once before I even realized what the hell is going on.

At least above ground you get a few seconds to prepare. This "ambush at the bottom of the rope" stuff is beyond lame.  It's grind grind grind and never anything else but kill worms and/or die. Do I have to drop my backpack for armor or amulet every time I drop into a hole? 

Ok this is just ridiculous. After all that, I go back to the caves and they're all back again. Dropping down that rope is like dropping into a bowl of spaghetti the floor is just seething with worms. And with all my lobster allies I could barely see myself on screen. I died before I even could equip my Amulet this time. Just used up my last touchstone and lost more than I want to think about at the bottom of the rope, chester, abigail, etc.

Do worms spawn at regular intervals even when you're not in the caves? I had totally cleared that out. Then I spent 40 or so days above ground building out my base and setting up a evil flower farm. Now I go back and they're all back like before. No warnings, right at the bottom of the rope. Three of them hit me at once before I even realized what the hell is going on.

At least above ground you get a few seconds to prepare. This "ambush at the bottom of the rope" stuff is beyond lame.  It's grind grind grind and never anything else but kill worms and/or die. Do I have to drop my backpack for armor or amulet every time I drop into a hole? 

Thanks to syncing, yes they do. 

You know if you were to...bring a few rock lobsters to where the rope is and let them spawn you would find that the worms aren't really that much of a problem...since every time i go down there the worms always pick a losing fight with the rock lobsters as the just keep on breeding more and more over time(while the max you can be attack each time you go down is 4 worms).

Hopefully at this point you haven't used both of your touch stones.

Since I'd feel bad if I didn't say something on topic first, it has to be real easy to make Life Amulets if you're at a point that you're gathering beard hair to make meat effigies with.

Now, off-topic shenanigans: you need a profile picture already!

You know if you were to...bring a few rock lobsters to where the rope is and let them spawn you would find that the worms aren't really that much of a problem...since every time i go down there the worms always pick a losing fight with the rock lobsters as the just keep on breeding more and more over time(while the max you can be attack each time you go down is 4 worms).

There are tons of rock lobsters around. In fact, that's sort of a problem.  When you first drop to the floor, there is the raging battle between the lobsters and worms because they both built up in the time since I left the cave. I typically try to go in once every three or four cycles of hounds, which apparently mean there are four waves of worms down there?!

Anyway, the visible area at the bottom of the rope is so full of mobs, it's hard to see where to run to get out of the way. Last time I died was just a "one hit" by four worms synced to attack at once. I could not see the floor and was trying to equip my lamp before running off. but couldn't do it in time.

From now on, I'll just assume a raging battle is going on at the bottom of the rope at all times, and go in armed and lamped-up to run around the moment I hit the floor. If I stay down there running in circles long enough, the lobsters wipe them out.  Just have to get clear of the rope point first so I can see the floor to know where to go.

There are tons of rock lobsters around. In fact, that's sort of a problem.  When you first drop to the floor, there is the raging battle between the lobsters and worms because they both built up in the time since I left the cave. I typically try to go in once every three or four cycles of hounds, which apparently mean there are four waves of worms down there?!

Anyway, the visible area at the bottom of the rope is so full of mobs, it's hard to see where to run to get out of the way. Last time I died was just a "one hit" by four worms synced to attack at once. I could not see the floor and was trying to equip my lamp before running off. but couldn't do it in time.

From now on, I'll just assume a raging battle is going on at the bottom of the rope at all times, and go in armed and lamped-up to run around the moment I hit the floor. If I stay down there running in circles long enough, the lobsters wipe them out.  Just have to get clear of the rope point first so I can see the floor to know where to go.

Things don't happen when you're not in the caves. When you go in, you'll have whatever you left last time plus a new wave, but not multiple waves all at once.

i hadn't really tried taking worms on but last game ( yes fatal) went down after day 100 or so, is it just me or are they impossible to tank? burned right through 2 helmets and 2 logsuits and didn't even get to kill any with a hambat.

Not impossible to tank, just impossible to tank alone all at once. As the mountains of replies have said (ad nauseum,) bring a bunch of allies with you, and run away until their numbers are less/they are not all together and take them on one by one. 

Be warned that leaving a bunch of pigs/lobsters/bunnies by the entrance simply causes a worm melee that is for many...too difficult to see what's what and safely combat unless literally jumping in with tank/resurrection items equipped at the entrance. 

well i had the entrance boxed in with stone walls so it wasn't immediate death on entry, so that works well, at least. i'm going to have to experiment with structures perhaps bee mines? and grass wall pathways? maze like? trip the bee traps then burn the walls later :razz: dunno any ideas? 

yeah i did read all that but i had to experiment on my own anyway, was planning on running to the bunnyman city at night, but got bored and decided to "test" how strong they were, walked outside of my wall setup, and immediantely died not 3 steps out of the enclosure, i actually tried running from them while i had 1 helmet left, with 3/4 health, but got stunlocked.

Hey guys! I did some simple mod that nerfs freaking worms.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/421-less-worms-modrar/

That's a first, quick&dirty version, needs testing.

I'l overlook if this is a "good or bad thing" discussion for the sake of this error (edit, stupid formatting, fixed the quote:  )

An error occured with the SQL server:

mySQL query error: SELECT f.*,c.cname as file_category, c.cname_furl,m.*,pp.* FROM downloads_files f LEFT JOIN downloads_categories c ON ( c.cid=f.file_cat ) 

LEFT JOIN permission_index p ON ( p.app='downloads' AND p.perm_type='cat' AND p.perm_type_id=c.cid ) 

LEFT JOIN members m ON ( m.member_id=f.file_submitter ) 

LEFT JOIN profile_portal pp ON ( pp.pp_member_id=m.member_id ) WHERE f.file_open=1 AND c.copen=1 AND p.perm_view REGEXP ',2,|\\*' ORDER BY RAND() LIMIT 0,5

This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

thanks, but i'm not interested.

i was thinking though, and maybe i'll try this but making walls to keep rock lobsters in but let in the worms at the same time, all it would needf would be a few section of grass wall so the worms can dig under, i think, that way lobsters would breed in you very own killing ground yet not drift away...

Archived